Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Tank Man video and Leica
Old 04-19-2019   #1
newsgrunt

Tank Man video and Leica

Some interesting stuff re: Leica (or not), Tiananmen Square and marketing. How else will Leica react ?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l...-idUSKCN1RV0JG

Old 04-19-2019   #2
BillBingham2

From what I've read about the reaction it's about what I would expect. Wish I had the need/cash to buy a new Leica product.

B2 (;->

Old 04-19-2019   #3
Filter Factor

I wonder, what are the odds that any of the small handful of photographers who covered that event, were using Leicas? The most well-known photo from that day, for example, was shot by an AP photographer using a Nikon SLR with a telephoto lens and a teleconvertor.
The Leica clip shows a man using a Leica R-series SLR. Perhaps we are to conclude his film did not make it out of the country intact?

Cheers, Robert

Old 04-19-2019   #4
B-9
Devin Bro

The whole time watching the video

I felt like it was going to transition into some sweeping shot of a new Leica camera.

It really jumps around and feels like half a story told in bursts of drunken clarity.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 04-19-2019   #5
SaveKodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filter Factor View Post
I wonder, what are the odds that any of the small handful of photographers who covered that event, were using Leicas? The most well-known photo from that day, for example, was shot by an AP photographer using a Nikon SLR with a telephoto lens and a teleconvertor.
The Leica clip shows a man using a Leica R-series SLR. Perhaps we are to conclude his film did not make it out of the country intact?

Cheers, Robert
There was a similar video of I think Robert Capa using Leica equipment, where as it was later pointed out he was more likely to be using Contax RFs of their day.

I'm guessing if Leica made a video that depicted the reality of their users it would be a little less interesting. I'm pictures shots of people shining flashlights into the back of lenses, then carefully repackaging them. A bunch of rich guys putting their SLs on the seat of their fancy cars... It just doesn't inspire the same confidence.

But hey, my favorite Leica (M4), and my favorite lenses (Zeiss and Voigtlander), seem more attainable than ever. Leica can re-con whatever stories they want.