Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Latest info about RD1s LCD
Old 01-17-2019   #1
br_foureaux
Entering in the RF world
 
br_foureaux's Avatar
 
br_foureaux is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 26
Latest info about RD1s LCD

Hi guys,
I've been searching for new info - now, at 2019 - about the matter and since and didn't find it, here we go: my beloved RD1s finally (and unfortunately) showed some trouble, at the LCD monitor (doesn't work anymore, besides all the efforts). The camera and other functions, however, works just fine.
Question is: what could I do? I´m from Rio the Janeiro, Brazil, and it´s killing me the idea of letting the camera like this. Tried the Japan Camera Hunter - it´s a no answer - and Steve´s - anxiously waiting for a answer. Meanwhile, I´m already planning the alternatives.
Suggestions?! Clues?!Treasure map?!
Best regards,
Bruno
__________________
R-D1s, Color Skopar 35/2.5, SB28...and getting better!!

My new Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_foureaux/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2019   #2
B-9
Devin Bro
 
B-9's Avatar
 
B-9 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,248
Steve's Camera might be able to help if you/they can find a suitable replacement (however rare that may be)

You can work around the LCD failure, hopefully you have it set on you preferred file size!
Otherwise it would not be too difficult to figure out the steps to change settings blind.

Best of luck!

btw, is your flickr photos all shot the RD1? looking good
__________________
Made in Michigan

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2019   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,610
This is why I never fold mine open! Good luck with sorting yours.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2019   #4
Oren Grad
Registered User
 
Oren Grad is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 267
Epson in Japan discontinued service for the R-D1s on Sept 30, 2016.

https://www.epson.jp/support/portal/...menu/r-d1s.htm

Unless there's just a loose or broken connection somewhere, you're looking at finding a donor body to get any necessary parts. But in terms of cost, time and hassle, you're probably going to be better off purchasing a replacement body in working order.

Good luck!
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2019   #5
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,168
there is a small wire that bends and eventually breaks when the screen is opened/closed. i think it's a relatively easy fix...cameraquest has a manual about the rd1 and you might find the info there.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019   #6
br_foureaux
Entering in the RF world
 
br_foureaux's Avatar
 
br_foureaux is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Steve's Camera might be able to help if you/they can find a suitable replacement (however rare that may be)

You can work around the LCD failure, hopefully you have it set on you preferred file size!
Otherwise it would not be too difficult to figure out the steps to change settings blind.

Best of luck!

btw, is your flickr photos all shot the RD1? looking good

B-9, fortunately the camera is set on my usual configuration, and I suppose that things could be done blindly, but it would take some time getting used to it.
I already wrote to Steve´s...lets hope for a positive answer!
About the flickr: some were shot with the Epson, others were with my "ex"...rs. Thanks for the compliment
__________________
R-D1s, Color Skopar 35/2.5, SB28...and getting better!!

My new Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_foureaux/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019   #7
br_foureaux
Entering in the RF world
 
br_foureaux's Avatar
 
br_foureaux is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
This is why I never fold mine open! Good luck with sorting yours.

Thanks, Keith!
__________________
R-D1s, Color Skopar 35/2.5, SB28...and getting better!!

My new Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_foureaux/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019   #8
br_foureaux
Entering in the RF world
 
br_foureaux's Avatar
 
br_foureaux is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
Epson in Japan discontinued service for the R-D1s on Sept 30, 2016.

https://www.epson.jp/support/portal/...menu/r-d1s.htm

Unless there's just a loose or broken connection somewhere, you're looking at finding a donor body to get any necessary parts. But in terms of cost, time and hassle, you're probably going to be better off purchasing a replacement body in working order.

Good luck!

Oren, since I made the choice for the RD1 (now, thinking retrospectively, a bold, almost insane one), never met someone that owned the same camera, even though I searched for them rs. Find another RD1 here in Rio, it seems even harder than find a service repair hehehehe
__________________
R-D1s, Color Skopar 35/2.5, SB28...and getting better!!

My new Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_foureaux/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019   #9
br_foureaux
Entering in the RF world
 
br_foureaux's Avatar
 
br_foureaux is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
there is a small wire that bends and eventually breaks when the screen is opened/closed. i think it's a relatively easy fix...cameraquest has a manual about the rd1 and you might find the info there.

I saw the cameraquest´s manual. It will be, certainly, my final choice, if I find no other.
Thanks for the suggestion!
__________________
R-D1s, Color Skopar 35/2.5, SB28...and getting better!!

My new Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_foureaux/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019   #10
Out to Lunch
Registered User
 
Out to Lunch's Avatar
 
Out to Lunch is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 5,424
My best advice....contact https://www.japancamerahunter.com/ and ask him if he could send in your camera to Epson Japan for repairs. Can't hurt to try. Cheers, Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019   #11
Bobfrance
Over Exposed
 
Bobfrance's Avatar
 
Bobfrance is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lancashire, England
Age: 49
Posts: 1,655
It's highly probable that the LCD was an off-the-shelf item used in other cameras at the time which are now almost woth-less.



I wonder if there might be part number details available that could lead you to a source?
My initial thoughts are that it could be from a Nikon camera (as the sensor is) or some other Epson device.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019   #12
Mr_Flibble
Registered User
 
Mr_Flibble's Avatar
 
Mr_Flibble is online now
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Lowlands
Age: 42
Posts: 4,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
My best advice....contact https://www.japancamerahunter.com/ and ask him if he could send in your camera to Epson Japan for repairs. Can't hurt to try. Cheers, Peter
He was the liaison for Epson Repairs in Japan for people around the world. I know he still did this back in 2016. It's worth a shot.

Good luck.
__________________
Rick - In Tabulas Argenteas Refero
Loaded with film: Leica IIIc and a Graphic 23 roll film holder
Latest Toys: Kodak Auto Graphic Jr, Clarus MS-35
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2019   #13
br_foureaux
Entering in the RF world
 
br_foureaux's Avatar
 
br_foureaux is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
My best advice....contact https://www.japancamerahunter.com/ and ask him if he could send in your camera to Epson Japan for repairs. Can't hurt to try. Cheers, Peter

Peter, I already tried. They won´t do the job
__________________
R-D1s, Color Skopar 35/2.5, SB28...and getting better!!

My new Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_foureaux/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2019   #14
br_foureaux
Entering in the RF world
 
br_foureaux's Avatar
 
br_foureaux is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfrance View Post
It's highly probable that the LCD was an off-the-shelf item used in other cameras at the time which are now almost woth-less.



I wonder if there might be part number details available that could lead you to a source?
My initial thoughts are that it could be from a Nikon camera (as the sensor is) or some other Epson device.

I read somewhere in this forum that the LCD is the same of a Canon (don´t remember the type). I´m working, in parallel, with both options: searching for some repair and the possibility of a handicraft rs
__________________
R-D1s, Color Skopar 35/2.5, SB28...and getting better!!

My new Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_foureaux/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2019   #15
br_foureaux
Entering in the RF world
 
br_foureaux's Avatar
 
br_foureaux is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Flibble View Post
He was the liaison for Epson Repairs in Japan for people around the world. I know he still did this back in 2016. It's worth a shot.

Good luck.

No more, Mr_Flibble, unfortunately, no more...
__________________
R-D1s, Color Skopar 35/2.5, SB28...and getting better!!

My new Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_foureaux/
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:17.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.