Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

What Contax G lenses for Morocco?
Old 08-19-2018   #1
karateisland

What Contax G lenses for Morocco?

My girlfriend and I are headed to Morocco in December for two weeks--we'll be roadtripping for much of the time, but also spending a fair amount of time exploring deserts/the cities/mountains/etc.

I had briefly considered buying a compact camera (a Mju II, for instance) so I could pocket the thing and not to have worry about it so much, but now I am leaning toward bringing the G2 for the versatility and the sheer joy of use.

To get to the point: Does anyone have recommendations for what lenses to bring? I don't want to carry too many (maybe two?). I already have the 45mm and the 90mm, but have been blown away by the 28 and 21. On one hand, I feel like I could happily use the 45mm and get everything I need (40-45mm is becoming my favorite focal length), on the other, I will be moving through desert vistas and busy city centers, and IS an interchangeable lens camera so why not use that to my advantage and bring a full kit with a wide, standard, and short tele?

If you were me, what would YOU do?

Old 08-19-2018   #2
Larry Cloetta

The 35-70 if only taking one lens. (it’s nice.) The 35-70 and the 21 if taking two lenses. But, if it were ME, which was your question, and only going to Morocco once, I would take every G lens I owned, which is all of them, because they are all small, and I’m just that way. Granted, there is much to be said for just taking one lens, but no matter which one I took, I inevitably wish I had “the other one”.
I am happy limiting myself to one lens when going someplace I know I will go multiple times, but for someplace I will only have one opportunity to see once, take them all (and don’t leave the MF camera behind either.)

Old 08-19-2018   #3
retinax

Most of us seem to get the gear angst before travels, I'm in the middle of it myself.
Yes, I'd take a wide. When I traveled Morocco, the majority of my pics were made with 35mm equivalent on a zoom compact, but that depends on your style obviously. However three lenses require at least two bodies IMHO, or you'll be juggling lenses all the time. So either that or limit yourself to one or two lenses. If your travel partner isn't involved with photography, better keep it simple I think (but I won't follow this advice on my upcoming trip, I'll bring two bodies, but still undecided about a tele or just wide and normal...).

Old 08-19-2018   #4
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
However three lenses require at least two bodies IMHO .).
I wasn’t going to go there, but yeah.

Old 08-19-2018   #5
Archlich

Personally I shoot a 35mm lens in all my backpacking trips to places big and small. You can never take everything away with the little camera. The reality is infinite.

Photography can be about what you didn't frame in, right?

Old 08-19-2018   #6
Peter_S

21mm and 45mm. I used the G system for quite a while, and those lenses are not only the best in the system, but cover a lot of ground.
Beater Leica X1

www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 08-19-2018   #7
narsuitus

Contax Travel Kit by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 08-19-2018   #8
raid
Dad Photographer

One approach is to go with the 2 extremes for radically different perspectives; use the 21mm and the 90mm lenses. It will let you easily switch between two different types of images. Or, go simple. Take with you only the 45mm lens. You are used to it, and it is an amazingly good lens.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-19-2018   #9
jarski

I went there using phone as my wide, and a6000 with 55-210. Combo worked reasonably well.

It's amazing place with lots to explore. Two weeks will be gone fast.

edit: had also near disaster regarding my equipment. while visiting a museum in Marrakech, I dropped my phone hard on floor. when testing it, noticed there was black spot in middle of every new photo, dust had moved on impact into sensor. after returning my room, saw no other option but to get rid of the dust same way it had entered = I literally hit the phone on the floor, few times and always the same side and angle it worked and images became clear again, but I lost confidence on it and bought used 18-55 from Marrakech souk (bazaar). funny story now, but I was fuming when realising first what had happened.

Old 08-19-2018   #10
Roger Hicks

Just round up the usual suspects: 21, 45, 90.

Cheers,

R (Ricky Blaine)

Old 08-19-2018   #11
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Take the lens (lenses) you would use at home. You basic style will not change as a result of being on an airplane. No chance you are going to change from being a street photographer to a bird photographer or architectural to macro guy.

BTW, take the same camera(s) you use at home. A trip is no place to relearn how to use a different camera.

Realize the quality of the photos you take will depend 1% on the equipment and 99% on your eye and brain.

Old 08-19-2018   #12
Peter_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
Take the lens (lenses) you would use at home. You basic style will not change as a result of being on an airplane. No chance you are going to change from being a street photographer to a bird photographer or architectural to macro guy.

BTW, take the same camera(s) you use at home. A trip is no place to relearn how to use a different camera.

Realize the quality of the photos you take will depend 1% on the equipment and 99% on your eye and brain.
In principle yes...but your mindset changes when traveling. I took my Zeiss G 21mm to Kyrgyzstan a few years back, also the G Sonnar 90mm. I had not really shot with either focal lengths before (but with the G2 for a while prior). One shot with the 21 is among the best I ever took, one with the 90mm was printed in a pretty renowned mag.
So...That said, one part of the gear should definitely be the one you are used to.
Beater Leica X1

www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 08-19-2018   #13
Agiknee

28mm and a 90mm. Most affordable of the bunch and great lenses. If you can find a clean f/2 35mm then get that over the biogon

Old 08-19-2018   #14
Benjamin Marks

What Roger said, but also Bob said too. Remember, you are taking your eye, your sensibility, to this other place. Make sure you can make "your" pictures when you get there. But also take the 21. LOL. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Old 08-19-2018   #15
karateisland

This is all excellent advice. I am leaning toward grabbing the 21mm--in spite of the need for an external viewfinder--because it is almost universally adored, won't add a lot of weight to my travel backpack, and offers the value of being different from the 28mm FOV common to smartphone cameras.

Call it being a contrarian, but I tend to shy away from the 28mm focal length since it's almost all I see on the internet these days, even if it might be slightly more convenient on the G2. Plus, I've always been intrigued by the wider lenses, and few are said to be as good as this one. If I go this way, I'll test it out and give it a few months of solid use before I go.

Old 08-19-2018   #16
gavinlg

28mm and 45mm. Not only are they the two best lenses, but there's nothing a wider or longer lens is going to do better in terms of your photos when you ignore the novelty of more extreme focal lengths.

Old 08-19-2018   #17
teddy
Jose Morales

I would just take the 35 Biogon or the 45 Planar - just one. Go simple. Less stress, more fun, more photos.

Old 08-19-2018   #18
santino
eXpect me

I'd take a back up body with me (G1)... you don't want to see your only camera fail on an important trip.

Old 08-19-2018   #19
maigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

Cheers,

R (Ricky Blaine)
Cheeky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-19-2018   #20
Doug

You say "road-tripping", and that allows more gear in the bag that's left out of sight in the car while you wander nearby with the one camera/lens you've chosen for the circumstances.

I took the ferry to Tangier from Gibraltar for the day carrying only a Voigtlander Bessa-L with 25mm f/4 Snapshot Skopar. It was a useful choice.

As one example of too much gear... I don't often carry a bag when walking about, but there's a memorable time that I did - in Old San Juan Puerto Rico - resulting in very sore shoulders. In the bag were two Contax G2 cameras with 28mm on one and 45mm on the other, with the 90mm in reserve. That combination was very useful, and two cameras were indeed handy in switching as needed, much better than changing lenses frequently. But the kit was uncomfortably heavy to carry all day.

Lesson learned, but if repeating the occasion I might ditch the bag and hang the two cameras over shoulder or neck... lighter and even better prepared for action than in the bag. I don't do that myself, but it's an option...

Old 08-19-2018   #21
maigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateisland View Post
My girlfriend and I are headed to Morocco in December for two weeks--we'll be roadtripping for much of the time, but also spending a fair amount of time exploring deserts/the cities/mountains/

If you were me, what would YOU do?
I would take two lenses. Focal length is up to you.
Three has always been a pain as, for me, the third lens almost never gets used.
I killed an AF Nikon lens in Egypt due to sand. Changing lenses in the dust and dirt of N Africa is problematic.
Perhaps buy a G1 body and put a wide angle on it and use the standard/tele on your G2. This avoid changing lenses.

Bring your lens duster and some pre-soaked Zeiss lens wipes.

Old 08-19-2018   #22
raid
Dad Photographer

I used a Zeiss G 18/8 and a Summicron 50/2 in our last Europe trip. I never felt like needing another focal length. In your case, grab the 21 and the 45.The G1 body is very light. Take along both cameras.

Old 08-19-2018   #23
Deardorff38

KI, so much depends on you & how you see things. I could happily get by with a 35, another friend of mine sees very differently and his key lens is a short telephoto. A point and shoot is trouble-free & pocketable but you do have the G2. Which of those two girls would I ask out? What would I order off the menu? I'm not sure if any of our opinions are really helpful. Me I'd take a 35 and a 21mm. Even with a 50mm when I instinctively raise the camera, I find my self having to back up. Lovely as the 50 is at separating things, it's not a natural view for me. Take the lens most comfortable to your vision.

Old 08-20-2018   #24
karateisland

Oh, but your opinions are helpful! The key, for me, is not to find the right answer, exactly, but the right way to think about the problem. For instance, I have only ever really travelled with my X100F in the past, so I wouldn't have known that it's a huge pain to use three lenses with one body. I wouldn't have guessed that it can be nicest to take two lenses only.

My biggest takeaways are that I should definitely stick to what I'm used to (will no doubt bring the 45mm) and that many people find the 21mm to be worth the trouble of the extra viewfinder. Now to decide if I feel I can even use that thing properly! (It's a stunning lens, but pretty intimidating.)

Old 08-20-2018   #25
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

No need to over think things. Go with the X100F and enjoy the trip.

All the best,
Mike

Old 08-20-2018   #26
karateisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
No need to over think things. Go with the X100F and enjoy the trip.

All the best,
Mike
Sage advice, for sure, but I prefer shooting 35mm film these days. Try as I might, I can't seem to make myself cool out when shooting digital and I end up firing off a billion shots and chimping all day.

Old 08-20-2018   #27
Skiff

On travels I've almost never needed a lens wider than 28mm. 28mm is very capable of doing well all in landscapes, cityscapes and indoors.
Therefore my suggestion would be to take the
- 28 mm
- 45 mm
- 90 mm
As the Contax G system is quite compact, and these three lenses + body can be put in a small photo bag (or small backpack), this would be a nice travel photo outfit.

Old 08-20-2018   #28
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

What Skiff said +1

Old 08-20-2018   #29
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
On travels I've almost never needed a lens wider than 28mm. 28mm is very capable of doing well all in landscapes, cityscapes and indoors.
Therefore my suggestion would be to take the
- 28 mm
- 45 mm
- 90 mm
As the Contax G system is quite compact, and these three lenses + body can be put in a small photo bag (or small backpack), this would be a nice travel photo outfit.
And I have almost never needed a 28mm, which for me is a really poor compromise between a "wide standard" (35mm) and a properly wide lens (21mm or at the longest 24mm). Beware always of assuming that others think or shoot the same way you do!

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-20-2018   #30
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
Cheeky. . . .
Glad someone got it!

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-20-2018   #31
leicapixie

The Contax G uses film!
I have a friend busy on numerous shoots in Middle East and North Africa.
Film a big problem with X-Rays..Film can be totally destroyed.
NO, absolutely no "Hand Inspections".
Morocco may be more reasonable but I would check.

Old 08-20-2018   #32
karateisland

This thread has clarified my dilemma: I am looking for a wider lens to accompany my 45mm, but not sure whether to go for the 28 or the 21.

I have some experience with 28mm, but only as a fixed-lens solution, which did not work for me. I am thinking a 28/45 combo could be much better, with the 28 taking wider duties when the 45 is too tight.

I am very intrigued by the drama that comes through on the 21mm shots, though a bit cowed by the need for adding an additional viewfinder, the extra care that needs to go into composition, the extra expense, and so on.

My heart says to give the 21 a shot, so I'd ask... Is the 21 a pain to use? And, for those of you who pack the 21, do you find that it gets regular use, beyond the wide vistas and the architectural shots? I will be packing extremely light, so I wouldn't want to bring a lens specialized that I only use it for a few shots--as RIGHT as it might be for those shots.

Old 08-20-2018   #33
raid
Dad Photographer

I have a Zeiss G 28mm that I hardly ever use. I bought a Zeiss Hologon 16/8, which now is my lens for each day's use. It is a real wide angle lens. The 90 Sonnar often misses the right focus point, people have posted online. It happens sometimes to me that the focusing is confused by the camera. Still, the 90mm lens is an awesome lens for a tele.
The normal lens is the 45mm lens and it is a widely praised lens. I love mine. I have one also in M mount.

Back to the Morocco issue: use what you feel is best for you. Make sure to enjoy the cultural life there, and try to document whatever you feel like documenting as you travel.

Old 08-20-2018   #34
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

Cheers,

R (Ricky Blaine)
hi Ricky. I went your place last year. shame you werent there then

Old 08-20-2018   #35
retinax

I love 28 but as Roger said, it's not wide enough for real wide vistas or some architecture stuff. For me it's simply the shortest I'm comfortable using as a walk-around lens, the most dramatic and involved "normal" lens. Anything wider is for specific needs. As someone as said earlier, it's better to concentrate on the shots you can get with the lens or lenses you have with you than trying to cover everything. So I make do without a super-wide because that to me is only useful for a few very specific shots, too much of it quickly gets, well, too much. But if these shots are important to you, by all means get the 21, it's a wonderful FL and the G 21 is supposed to be a wonderful lens. Pair it with the 45 if you use the 21 less or the 90 if you want to use the 21 for more general stuff, better don't take 45 and 90 both - at least for me, three so widely spaced focal lengths would be too difficult to wrap my head around and would precisely put me into the mindset of trying to get every conceivable picture rather than concentrating on what's in front of me.
Morocco can be tiring to travel in because of all the people trying to sell things or services, but stay relaxed (take breaks!) and friendly (you'll need to say no thanks - la shukran - very firmly, often three times, to get them to stop, but if you just say no without thanks, they can be seriously offended! Not incidentally, just saying you're not interested like you mean it is also the most effective way to haggle prices down) and you'll also experience immense friendliness and hospitality.

Old 08-20-2018   #36
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
The Contax G uses film!
I have a friend busy on numerous shoots in Middle East and North Africa.
Film a big problem with X-Rays..Film can be totally destroyed.
NO, absolutely no "Hand Inspections".
Morocco may be more reasonable but I would check.
It isn't at all a problem with film if you just put your films in the hand luggage / carry on luggage. The scanners used for that are safe for films up ISO 800/30°. I've travelled to several very far countries and "strange" destinations and I've never asked for "hand inspections". My films always got through the carry-on luggage scanners and have always been fine.
I know lots of other photographers who did the same and also were always fine.

The only thing you must not do is putting your film in the checked-in luggage. The scanners used there are much stronger and can indeed damage your film.

Cheers, Jan

Old 08-20-2018   #37
Larry Cloetta

Quote:

My heart says to give the 21 a shot, so I'd ask... Is the 21 a pain to use? .
Not unless your tolerance for pain is a lot less than mine is. It's a snap.

FWIW, as something of a side note, and not either recommending or not recommending what you should take to Morocco, if you are going to hang onto the G system long term; finding one of the original G1 bags is well worth it in terms of comfort and space utilization.

The pictured setup contains a G1 body, the 28, 45, 90 and 35-70 along with all the associated caps, hoods and filters. Coke can shown for size. Really nice soft leather, hangs well, etc. Just under 5 lbs with everything shown. Substitute the 21 for the 28 and drop the 35-70 and you are down to around 3.5 lbs. in a compact, comfortable package.
There is no right way to take cameras on a trip. You can take one lens, you can take 5 and have a good time either way. But, the results you come home with will be different, certainly, depending. You do "what everybody does" and you come home with the photos everybody comes home with, more or less.

Have fun, wish it were me.

Old 08-20-2018   #38
karateisland

Thanks everyone--looks like I have a lot to think about. I'm sure I'll end up with both the 21 and the 28 some day, but for now...

Old 08-20-2018   #39
maigo

Quote:
Thanks everyone--looks like I have a lot to think about. I'm sure I'll end up with both the 21 and the 28 some day, but for now...
But for now... what films to bring?

Old 08-21-2018   #40
karateisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
But for now... what films to bring?

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.