Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X Series

too hot! damn!!
Old 10-17-2017   #1
back alley
IMAGES

too hot! damn!!

just pulled the xe3 out of my bag...had left the camera on by mistake...and it was very hot, too hot, hotter than it's ever supposed to be.
i have to say that i am more than a little pissed off...i don't like complications, especially when it comes to pricey gear.

Old 10-17-2017   #2
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
just pulled the xe3 out of my bag...had left the camera on by mistake...and it was very hot, too hot, hotter than it's ever supposed to be.
i have to say that i am more than a little pissed off...i don't like complications, especially when it comes to pricey gear.
Isn't there a "sleep mode" that can be user set as to duration?

Old 10-17-2017   #3
ornate_wrasse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR;27625e23
Isn't there a "sleep mode" that can be user set as to duration?
I was basically wondering the same thing. With my DSLR cameras, they automatically turn off after a certain number of minutes of no activity.

I hope nothing is seriously wrong with the camera as that would be a major bummer.

Keep us informed as to what caused it to get so hot.

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8

Old 10-17-2017   #4
pyeh

Perhaps while it was in the bag it, the shutter release might have been activated and it was trying to take a series of very long exposures. That would heat the sensor up. I've done that with my cameras and drained the battery. Having a soft release exacerbated the problem.
Setting auto-shutoff for, say, two minutes, doesn't help because the trigger keeps activating in the bag if you put in the camera while it's turned on.

Old 10-17-2017   #5
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

None of my Bessa rangefinders ever warmed up or over heated when left in my camera bag

Old 10-17-2017   #6
BillBingham2

Sounds like a time for a read of the manual about 'Sleep Mode' or some such magic. I know with some cases the shutter release gets depressed and will drain the battery. I'm wondering about the heat (yes there might be damage) and why? I don't have anything this new, but with PCs they need air movement of some type, perhaps it was too tight a case?

Love to hear what you find out.

B2 (;->

Second this.
Old 10-17-2017   #7
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Second this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
Perhaps while it was in the bag it, the shutter release might have been activated and it was trying to take a series of very long exposures. That would heat the sensor up. I've done that with my cameras and drained the battery. Having a soft release exacerbated the problem.
Setting auto-shutoff for, say, two minutes, doesn't help because the trigger keeps activating in the bag if you put in the camera while it's turned on.
I've done just that.

Old 10-17-2017   #8
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
Sounds like a time for a read of the manual about 'Sleep Mode' or some such magic. I know with some cases the shutter release gets depressed and will drain the battery. I'm wondering about the heat (yes there might be damage) and why? I don't have anything this new, but with PCs they need air movement of some type, perhaps it was too tight a case?

Love to hear what you find out.

B2 (;->
I don't know the camera. I'm wondering if the video mode button can be disabled in the menu? Running for an extended time in video mode, might heat it up.

I think the camera would have a heat sensor to shut it down before any over heating would damage the circuits. Modern solid state electronics doesn't work well when hot but, rarely causes any damage. When cool, all's back to normal.

I would love to be able to disable any menu items or buttons I don't use. Many problems are caused by accidentally bumping a button.

Old 10-17-2017   #9
Dogman

Like pyeh and Darthfeeble, I've also had this happen. More than once. The cameras have never suffered any damage, just drained batteries.

Old 10-17-2017   #10
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Has it cooled off yet, Joe? If so, is it OK?

Old 10-17-2017   #11
back alley
IMAGES

it does have a time off timer but i selected no to using it. i hate having a camera in hand that can turn itself off. i think when i put it back into the bag i hit the dial and turned it on...never had any camera go that hot before...seems to be fine now.
i've read that the xt20 and the xe3 get a bit warm but mostly connected when using video...something i never use.

Old 10-17-2017   #12
Big Ursus

I've put my various Fujis away while they were still on, and when I had programmed them to shut down after being inactive for an hour.

I'd find drained batteries, but never any noticeable heat.

Old 10-18-2017   #13
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ursus View Post
I've put my various Fujis away while they were still on, and when I had programmed them to shut down after being inactive for an hour.

I'd find drained batteries, but never any noticeable heat.
yeah, this is a first for me ...and the heat was very noticeable...it was hot!

Old 10-18-2017   #14
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Too hot to touch? In that it's brand new, I would send it back to be checked.

Old 10-18-2017   #15
jsrockit

As long as it is working ok, I'd forget about it.

Old 10-18-2017   #16
back alley
IMAGES

i thought i'd bring it in to the shop on saturday and check if they have had any other complaints...also to just make them aware of the timing in case it blows up on me in the near future.

Old 10-18-2017   #17
seany65

What a good advert for film cameras. No chance of any of mine getting too hot to handle.

Old 10-18-2017   #18
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by seany65 View Post
What a good advert for film cameras. No chance of any of mine getting too hot to handle.
Hmmm, leave it out in the sun on a 120 degree F day...

Old 10-18-2017   #19
BillBingham2

Quote:
What a good advert for film cameras. No chance of any of mine getting too hot to handler.
Your FED 2 might not be happy without a lens cap left on a picnic table.....

B2 (;->

Old 10-18-2017   #20
seany65

@jsrockitt and BillBingham2: If I'm out with any of my film cameras I leave them in the bag unless I'm taking a picture. They wouldn't overheat if I'd left them switched on while in the bag anyway.

Which is what the OP had done with the digital camera as the OP wasn't using it at the time, and it still heated up so:

Film cameras 1 Digital cameras 0.

lol.

Old 10-18-2017   #21
Contarama

Noted Joe. Thanks.

How long was it in the bag before you found it in this condition?

Old 10-18-2017   #22
jarski

sounds like a firmware bug, easily rectified with an update.

Old 10-18-2017   #23
rcubed
Canadian

I know this feel! I left my M9 in my bag in the 'on' position all day and when I wanted to shoot, the battery was dead from taking a bunch of 30s exposures in my bag.

Getting extremely hot doesnt sound right though.

Old 10-18-2017   #24
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Noted Joe. Thanks.

How long was it in the bag before you found it in this condition?
'bout 2 hours...

Old 10-18-2017   #25
back alley
IMAGES

thinking about it...maybe the battery is bad...i had the original new battery, the 's' model in there.

Old 10-18-2017   #26
daveleo
what?

Simply set the camera to turn off automatically after 2 minutes. It's in the menu somewhere.
Your camera was on and probably trying to continually autofocus in a dark, insulated bag.

Old 10-18-2017   #27
daveleo
what?

Quote:
@jsrockitt and BillBingham2: If I'm out with any of my film cameras I leave them in the bag unless I'm taking a picture. They wouldn't overheat if I'd left them switched on while in the bag anyway.

Which is what the OP had done with the digital camera as the OP wasn't using it at the time, and it still heated up so:

Film cameras 1 Digital cameras 0.

lol.
The camera was on and operating and autofocusing continually in the bag. So, yes, the OP was "using it" as far as the camera is concerned.

Old 10-18-2017   #28
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
Simply set the camera to turn off automatically after 2 minutes. It's in the menu somewhere.
Your camera was on and probably trying to continually autofocus in a dark, insulated bag.
i don't like using that auto turn off...prefer to shut er down on my own...this has been a first time blunder on my part and hopefully the last time as well.

Old 10-18-2017   #29
AlwaysOnAuto

I wouldn't sweat it Joe. My Nex-7 has a message printed on the camera behind the flip down screen that says: The surface of the camera may get warm when the power is on for a long time. This is not a malfunction.

Use the auto off function and you'll be fine. Start up can't be that long that it'd be a problem for you while out shooting. Can it?

I have my auto off set and I still shut it down myself most times.

Old 10-18-2017   #30
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
I wouldn't sweat it Joe. My Nex-7 has a message printed on the camera behind the flip down screen that says: The surface of the camera may get warm when the power is on for a long time. This is not a malfunction.

Use the auto off function and you'll be fine. Start up can't be that long that it'd be a problem for you while out shooting. Can it?

I have my auto off set and I still shut it down myself most times.
not really a problem...more of an annoyance...

Old 10-18-2017   #31
Dogman

Setting it to shut off after a time of not being used won't correct the problem if the problem was the shutter release being pressed inside the bag. That's because the camera is actually in use--that is, making a long exposure.

The camera can get hot with extended use. I've noticed my cameras getting warm in the battery area when shooting a lot of exposures in a short time. If the shutter is open--taking an exposure--for long enough to run down the battery, I'm sure the camera would get really warm. As I said above, it's happened to me more than once but the only result was a dead battery--no damage to the camera ever resulted.

Of course this would only happen if the camera is set to aperture priority.

Old 10-18-2017   #32
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post

One rainy day in Reims I put my E2, complete with 15mm soft release, under my jacket as we walked down the hill into town.
That night I downloaded One Hundred Sixty Seven (yes, 167) pics of the inside of my jacket. Nicely exposed, but blurry ... it was on Aperture Priority.

The fact we were returning from the Taittinger Champagne cellars may have been a factor.

Fuji X Pro2
Fuji X E2
Fuji X100s
Panasonic GX1 w/ 20mm F1.7
Nikon D800E

introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 10-18-2017   #33
Archlich

Random overheating seems to be a uncommon but noted issue among the current generation of Fuji cameras. Might be the reason behind them adding the suffix "S" to the original NP-W126 battery - it has "more resistance" so possibly won't burst into flame easily if it gets too hot.

Be cautious, double check, should be fine.

At least you don't have to worry about the sun burning a hole in the cloth shutter curtain with this one.

Old 10-18-2017   #34
Big Ursus

Quote:
thinking about it...maybe the battery is bad...i had the original new battery, the 's' model in there.
I've used the battery from my X-T1 in my X-T2, as well as "Watson"off brand batteries - no noticeable heat (so far).

Old 10-19-2017   #35
jsrockit

Quote:
Jokes, sir, jokes...

Old 10-19-2017   #36
jsrockit

Quote:
i don't like using that auto turn off...prefer to shut er down on my own...this has been a first time blunder on my part and hopefully the last time as well.
Why not? You can still shut it off on your own and this would have prevented your issue. Turning the camera on and off between shots is generally faster than waking it from sleep in my experience.

Old 10-19-2017   #37
Dogman

Unfortunately, I've found it's pretty easy to inadvertently switch on Fuji cameras when replacing or removing from the camera bag...at least it's pretty easy for me to do so.

Old 10-19-2017   #38
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Why not? You can still shut it off on your own and this would have prevented your issue. Turning the camera on and off between shots is generally faster than waking it from sleep in my experience.
i just like it on when i'm out and about shooting. when i'm out shooting the camera is always on...

Old 10-19-2017   #39
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Unfortunately, I've found it's pretty easy to inadvertently switch on Fuji cameras when replacing or removing from the camera bag...at least it's pretty easy for me to do so.
same here...that is why i am always checking the dials.

Old 10-19-2017   #40
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Sounds like you need a new bag.......

Hey Joe....... can you help him with this?

B2 (;->