Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

what goes into deciding which is a favourite lens?
Old 10-03-2017   #1
back alley
IMAGES

what goes into deciding which is a favourite lens?

most of us can easily tell others which lens is our favourite...

but how did you come to that conclusion?
what factors went into your decision?

since i currently shoot fuji bodies and lenses exclusively my fav is the fuji 16.
the only downside is the size...not really gigantic but it is large...otherwise i love it's sharpness, it's close focusing ability, the fov...often i will see an image that strikes me and then it turns out to from the fuji 16!

what criteria do you use to determine a favourite?

Old 10-03-2017   #2
f16sunshine

Good question.
It seems like one of the things that goes into my favorite lenses is selling them
My favorite M Rokkor f2/40mm and ltm Nikkor f2.5/35mm are both long gone.

The current favorite on rangefinder bodies is the Color Skopar f2.5/50mm.
It's flaws make it a favorite. It's a bit squirly wide open and up close. Renders with medium contrast (some would say high contrast).
I tested a bunch of 50's over the years. The Skopar is the perfect balance of performance and imperfections.... I don't like "clinical" apparently.

Another favorite is the Xenotar f2.8/80mm on the Rolleiflex.
It's so sharp and clean at the point of focus.
Gives a beautiful atmosphere in out of focus areas.
I'll post a couple usual suspects below.

Skopar... sharp at focus and wild behind!
Hickory and Willow by Adnan, on Flickr

Xenotar ... sharp at focus point soft kind of dreamy outside.
Lonely toys by Adnan, on Flickr

Old 10-03-2017   #3
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

It should be, first, the type of photography the lens will do.
Not the best idea trying to have the same lens for sharp landscapes at infinity, beautiful defocusing for portraits, small size for street stopping down, and snapshots in low light.
Then, at least a few favorite lenses (and cameras) can be considered just the basic tools.
In my case, after considering lens use, I prefer small lenses with no distortion, and mechanical film cameras.
Only for portraits I use big lenses. And only for low light in color I use digital.

Old 10-03-2017   #4
AlexBG

My favourite is my jupiter 8, I only like photos of my family and love the softness and glow of it. Most of my 5 start lightroom photos are with that lens so scientific as well!!!

Old 10-03-2017   #5
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Good question.
I would say the final outcome in terms of sharpness (or lack of it), tone reproduction, out of focus reproduction and ergonomics.

My personal favorite has been the Silvernosed Zuiko 50 f/1.4 - i love it on b&w film.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 10-03-2017   #6
Carey M

Good haptics and compact size are pretty important criteria for me. I'm a fan of focus tabs and full-stop aperture clicks.

Still, my favourite lens is a vintage Sonnar with a clickless aperture ring (that simply never stays in place) and no focus appendage of any kind. The way it draws is just right up my alley. Sharp in just the right way, with a sort of an old timey look. Nice out of focus areas. I also like that I can use it without a hood in most situations.

Old 10-03-2017   #7
airfrogusmc

For me it's what best matches the way I see. I tend to see at a 35mm focal length FoV on FF camera so that is my favorite because it matches the way I see. I think that the 35 Summilux FLE really helps me in achieving the look that I desire at the F/L I see at so that is my favorite lens.

Old 10-03-2017   #8
zuiko85

Favorite lens?
...................Favorite lens.......What a strange concept.
Is it the one I use the most currently? Or the one I look at the negs and say "Wow!". Or the one I salvaged off of a 80 year old Kodak folder and say "Well how about that! It did cover 4X5 with much less fall off than I thought it would have. Purdy doggone sharp too."

Old 10-03-2017   #9
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
Good question.
I would say the final outcome in terms of sharpness (or lack of it), tone reproduction, out of focus reproduction and ergonomics.

My personal favorite has been the Silvernosed Zuiko 50 f/1.4 - i love it on b&w film.

I can see why, lovely image.

Old 10-03-2017   #10
mpaniagua

My favorite(s) len(s) are those that suit the mood I like (not too soft, not to sharp) and ergonomics. I love how the Summilux 50 renders but hate its ergonomics (really cant get used how it tilts the camera forward) so as much I like it, is not my favorite. Summilux 35, on the other hand, is my favorite. Collapsible Summicron and Summitar likewise.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 10-03-2017   #11
Spanik

When it gives the impression of how I saw the scene. Don't care about the rest.

Old 10-03-2017   #12
daveleo
what?

My favorite lens (I have maybe 25 ? ) changes from day to day - it's a "mood thing" with me. I tend to favor lenses that do not make coldly, clinically perfect images.

My favorite today is an SLR Magik 23mm that I just bought (got it yesterday) here from forum member rhl-oregon. Let's see how long before I switch my opinion to another favorite.

Old 10-03-2017   #13
adamr1699

I definitely don't have a single favorite lens. They all have different characteristics that make them great to me. For example I love the colors and the rendering of the Nikkor 28mm f/2 pre-ai, and the Rollei Sonnar 40mm 2.8 M lens is one of the best handling lenses ive every used, not to mention the great OOF quality, and the Nikkor 105 f/2.5 ltm or f mount is an amazing portrait lens.....

Old 10-03-2017   #14
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
what goes into deciding which is a favourite lens?"
Early in my career, I decided that the 35mm focal length on a 35mm camera was my favorite. With it, I could capture about 50% of the images I needed to capture.

In addition to the 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor on my Nikon SLR and the 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss on my Leitz 35mm rangefinder, I also use the 23mm f/1.4 on my Fuji APS-C mirrorless digital.

favorite lenses by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 10-03-2017   #15
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Summarit-M 35 2.5. Rendering on film and digital, bw and color; size and handling.

Old 10-03-2017   #16
icebear

Until recently my 2/75 'cron was my least used lens.

About 2 month ago I got into a situation where a 50 was recommended but I switched my 75. The ability to fill the frame w/o getting too close to the subject paired with pretty spectacular results when printing BIG (24x36 ...inches) from full frame MM files, has this lens kind of stuck on my camera ever since. I still hate the 75mm frame "lines", corners that is.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 10-03-2017   #17
maddoc
... likes film.

40mm f/2.0 Summicron-C. Perfect combination of size, handling and performance. All my others lenses excel in the one or other way but the Summicron-C has become my to-go lens for me.

flickr
pBase

Old 10-03-2017   #18
michaelwj
----------------

Easy, just compute the favorite factor (F);

F = 2E x R

where E = enjoyment of use, R equals quality of results.

(the factor of 2 (2E) is because the enjoyment of use is twice as important as the quality of results - almost all lenses deliver quality results)

Old 10-04-2017   #19
Dogman

Joe's question, "What criteria do you use to determine a favorite (lens)?"

Utility and focal length are at the top of my list. Focal length is self explanatory. Utility is subjective. For me, utility involves handling, mechanical/electronic functioning, size, weight and optical characteristics.

My favorite focal lengths are 35mm and 50mm equivalents--I use these focal lengths about 50/50 so I can't really decide one is more favorite over the other. Optically, both the Fujinon 23/1.4 and 35/1.4 have the most pleasing results to my eyes. But both the Fujinon 23/2 and 35/2 are better handling and have better autofocus. And then there's the 23mm lens on the X100 series--it has to be considered one of the 35mm equivalent favorites.

Old 10-04-2017   #20
charjohncarter

I find emotional attachment is big on my list. My Elmar f3.5 50mm I've had for 53years just always feels right with great results. The same goes for my Pentax f1.4 50mm (owned for 48 years). Even though I have a wonderful in everyway that I like a f2.0 35mm Pentax FA (6-7 years), it wouldn't call it a 'favorite.'

Old 10-04-2017   #21
back alley
IMAGES

just to clarify...i'm not asking for any choice here, not looking for 'the' favourite but 'a' favourite.
really just trying to get a feel for what we look at...
when i get a new lens it often times becomes a favourite...i bought the 56 years ago thinking about portraits but loved it on the street...no saying how a lens might surprise us.

Old 10-04-2017   #22
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I don't know that I have a favorite lens, but I do have a favorite focal length. It's the one that frames the area that contains the essence of what I saw that made me want to take the picture. Foe me, that is usually 35mm. That probably explains why I have five 35mm Leica lenses, and a sixth on the way. To my eye, it is the "natural vision" angle of view. And the 35mm equivalent field of the X100 makes it an often-used camera.

Edit: And it didn't occur to me to mention that I do prefer a small lens to a larger one; not only on my Leicas, but even with my Nikon SLRs and DSLRs. I may reach for the smaller of two lenses whether it is the "better" one or not.

Edit 2: It has to look good on the camera. (How many want the Elmar-M just for its looks?)

Old 10-05-2017   #23
mdarnton

For me it almost always comes down to ergonomics not some esoteric image quality consideration. Modern lenses are all good enough for something, but they don't all work equally well.

For instance, my 50/1.1 Nokton, with it's slippery, relatively-toothless focus ring, got no time on the camera at all until I fitted it with a TAAB (http://www.lenstab.com/) focusing ring; now it's #1 on my M4. My other favorite is a collapsible Summicron, because I can wear it and the camera under a jacket in bad weather or on a belt clip. I have a 28/2 Nikon lens for my FG, but though I like the focal length and speed a lot, the 24/2.8 is MUCH easier to focus, for some reason, so it's the one I use more.

My mind seems to automatically move over to the focal length I have on the camera to find photos appropriate for what the camera is wearing, so that's not really a big issue for me. Often I will take an odd FL lens to force my head into a different mode so things don't always look so much the same.
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 10-05-2017   #24
Richard G

For a long time the 50 C Sonnar Zeiss, lighter and more compact than my previous favorite, the E43 Summilux. The thin plane of focus at 1.5 is not always easy to use but some shots are magic. Even at f5.6 the dreaminess is still there.

The 35 Summicron v4 is so compact and gives a lovely creamy tonality on film.

The Zeiss 21 4.5 is so straight.

I could go on.

Old 10-05-2017   #25
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
For me it almost always comes down to ergonomics not some esoteric image quality consideration. Modern lenses are all good enough for something, but they don't all work equally well.
Basically this.

I don't have a favourite lens. In general I like small sized lenses since I almost always want compactness, especially for RF and small SLRs.

Sharpness is not a problem for most lenses we can get our hands on today.

And bokeh. There was a quiz post on this forum showing different bokeh from different RF lenses a coupe of months ago. I failed to identify any of them bokeh-wise. So I guess bokeh doesn't bother me, so it goes with sharpness.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 10-05-2017   #26
Darshan

For me, the factor that decides what lens I get is the focal length.
Then I look for sharpness, character etc among lenses of the same FL.
Thereafter comes the ergonomics.

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 10-05-2017   #27
Arbitrarium

I look for a combination of sharpness and character. Currently enjoying an M42 Pancolar and got a Super Ikonta III with 3.5 Tessar being CLA'd currently, bought based on results I've seen of the lens (and because I love folders).

I know in terms of M42 mount, the Asahi Takumars are considered the sharpest but for me, they lack character. I always found Pentax lenses to be too clinical. The Pancolar is lovely, great colours and feel. Garbage wide open, but I can live with that.

Old 10-05-2017   #28
one90guy

My favorite lens a LTM 85mm f/2.0. used on either my Canon P or Olympus 4/3. Love the colors from the Oly and B/W from the Canon. The Color Skopar 21mm f/4.0 is gaining ground.

David

Old 10-05-2017   #29
AlwaysOnAuto

For me it is the sharpness of all types of photos I've taken with it.
I like it so much I went out and bought another copy of it.
And on my budget, that is saying a lot.

Old 10-05-2017   #30
Contarama

After several years I have discovered that I must enjoy using a lens for it to become a 'favorite'. If I do not like using one then it is culled. Leaving me with a set of lenses...all of them favorites!

Old 10-05-2017   #31
oftheherd

I tend to go with what will give me the shot I envisioned. If it isn't a 50mm, then I, as apparently Joe does, see wide, 28mm to 18mm. I have found I often like 24mm as well. I just never could see the reasoning behind 35mm.

Old 10-05-2017   #32
lxmike
Barnack fan

I have had a few favs over the years, currently trying out a CV Nokton 1.5 ltm, but all in all my all time fave is the Fuji 35/1.4 that lives on my x pro, why.........the images it produces, as simple as that

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5

Old 10-05-2017   #33
Ccoppola82

for me, I researched the hell out of lenses that are known to produce what I want in terms of imaging. Preparing that way has given me a set of lenses which work well together. I do have some specialty lenses which I use for low light or just purely for something different, but for the most part I have a 35 and 50 in my bag at all times. All my leica glass performs well enough that the "favorite" has more to do with its ergonomics. That said, my Summaron 2.8 and Cron rigid are nearly always in my bag. I have been playing with a 1934 Sonnar uncoated 50 1.5 but I've yet to shoot enough film through it to call it a favorite just yet. I DO really like what I'm getting though.

Old 10-05-2017   #34
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

My 50mm C Sonnar fits the parameters ... I love the way it renders and the focus shift keeps you on your game. It's been my favourite lens for several years now.

Old 10-06-2017   #35
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
Basically this......
So I guess bokeh doesn't bother me, .....
Bokeh bothers me as I can't figure out how to pronounce it correctly.......

For me it's a combination of things. Oddly it's different for every camera body. On the S2 it's internal mount 50mms. On a Bessa L it's the 25/4 Snap-Shot. On my F2 it's the Nikkor 28/2.8 AIs. On a Nikkormat it's a Nikkor 85/1.8.

As mentioned before most every lens I've purchased is sharp-enough for me. The lens needs to feel right on the camera. I'm a big proponent of flare resistance and lack of distortion. While I like my Nikkor 24/2.8 it reshaped heads into footballs when I wasn't looking (and some times even when I was).

For me it's a combination of the camera and lens that makes it my favorite.

B2 (;->

Old 10-06-2017   #36
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
If it isn't a 50mm, then I... see wide, 28mm to 18mm. I have found I often like 24mm as well. I just never could see the reasoning behind 35mm.
+1

Normal is my default. When I need wider, I go wiiider....
To me, real wide angles don't start 'til you get to 28mm.

Fuji X Pro2
Fuji X E2
Fuji X100s
Panasonic GX1 w/ 20mm F1.7
Nikon D800E

introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 10-06-2017   #37
back alley
IMAGES

Bokeh bothers me as I can't figure out how to pronounce it correctly....

i pronounce it...bow k...

Old 10-06-2017   #38
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

I tend to develop favorites defined by usage, meaning for instance/example a 28 Cron on my Monochrom. Pretty much I eventually figure out the lens that best suits a particular body because eventually it becomes like creating a fixed lens camera because lenses become seldom changed.

Here are some examples of my current fixed lens cameras:

28 Cron/Monochrom
58/1.2 Noct-Nikkor AIS/F3P
35/1.8 Nikkor LTM/ Wetzlar M6
50 Rigid/Hammertone M4 repaint
50 Lux-SL/Leica SL
50 Lux-R "E60"/SL2-MOT
21/3.4 SEM/ MD-2
75/2.8 AL/ Pentax 67 II with AE prism
53/4.5 Zeiss Biogon/Linhof Tech V prototype
100/2.8 Zeiss Planar/Linhof Tech IV

Anyways call me a lazy slacker. I don't like changing lenses. LOL. No need to really change a lens once it is optimized and mated with the appropriate body.

I tend to cull down the lenses that are surplus, or I hunt down a new body to build yet another camera to keep a lens. Makes no sense to me to have a lens as a shelf queen, and all my rigged cameras get cycled and used.

Cal

Old 10-06-2017   #39
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
Bokeh bothers me as I can't figure out how to pronounce it correctly....

i pronounce it...bow k...
Joe,

As a minority and person of color I take great pride in butchering language.

I pronounce it Bow-Key.

My gal went to Catholic school. I never really learned proper enuciation, spelling, and I really annoy my gal with words I create, invent, my slang, and my otherwise improper use of language.

Whenever she corrects me I tell her she is not only being rude, but also oppressive. As a person of color and as a minority, I explain that it is my duty as well as my right to butcher language. I am advancing culture I tell her and also am expressing myself. Slang is not developed by the mainstream.

BTW she still corrects me.

Cal

Old 10-06-2017   #40
back alley
IMAGES

trust that i have no idea if i say it correctly or not...most ways sound 'wrong' to my ears.