Ferrania P30 B&W Film Thread
Old 08-08-2017   #1
Mackinaw
Think Different

Ferrania P30 B&W Film Thread

A pic taken on the recently reintroduced Ferrania P30 B&W film. The film is not yet generally available, though they hope to have their store up and operating in September (I got five rolls now because I am an original Kickstarter supporter). Shot with a Canon F-1 with a Canon FD 50/1.4, at about F4.0. EI of 80. Processed in D-76 for 7 minutes at 68F. The film definitely has a different look, but Iím not quite sure D-76 is the proper developer for it. Maybe next time Iíll process it in Rodinal. Still, it is nice to have a new B&W film to play around with.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 08-08-2017   #2
mothertrucker

Nice, I also got my kickstarter rolls, opted for these instead of the original deal for the color film. Once i get a roll shot I'll upload something.

Old 08-09-2017   #3
HHPhoto

Here are the latest official news from Film Ferrania:

http://www.filmferrania.it/news/2017...30-in-9-months

Quote of one of the last sentences:
"If you have been following our story, you are literally are witnessing a birth in super slow-motion. It's the birth of the first new film factory in the 21st century."

Well, that is wrong.
There already have been two new film factories in the 21st century:
1. InovisCoat.
2. Adox.

Cheers, Jan

Old 08-09-2017   #4
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothertrucker View Post
Nice, I also got my kickstarter rolls, opted for these instead of the original deal for the color film. Once i get a roll shot I'll upload something.
Must be nice. I've been asking them to send me my film for months. I opted for it also when they announced it quite some time ago.

Old 08-09-2017   #5
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

I have two rolls that were gifted to me by a friend who is an original kickstarter.

Looking forward to shooting this film.

Cal

Old 08-09-2017   #6
Mackinaw
Think Different

Another from my photo shoot on Sunday. Canon F-1 with R100/2.0 at F2.0. Same processing info.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 08-09-2017   #7
Faintandfuzzy

Nice results. I will finish scanning my rolls and post some samples as well. So far, I really like the film.

Old 08-09-2017   #8
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Another from my photo shoot on Sunday. Canon F-1 with R100/2.0 at F2.0. Same processing info.

Jim B.
The two images you posted in this thread are the only two that I've seen that impress me. I've looked at the Ferrania forum and can't say any of the images would make me want to try P30 with the exception of yours.

It really appears the film at this time is somewhere around ISO 40 or 50. Scanning film is one thing but wet printing is another. You really need good negs to wet print. Even the scanned images I've seen appear to be from seriously underexposed negs.

I was thinking about how Ferrania is approaching releasing preproduction emulsions. I along with several other commercial and wedding photographers did field testing of several films for both Kodak and Ilford. Both companies commissioned experienced professionals to test their preproduction emulsions and write up technical reports that were used to modify emulsions and the base of the films. Unfortunately Ferrania is gathering data and images from inexperienced shooters that aren't particularly good technicians. Their images are being presented as examples of what the film can do. I think they're rushing to get the product on the market and it's not ready.

Old 08-09-2017   #9
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
The two images you posted in this thread are the only two that I've seen that impress me. I've looked at the Ferrania forum and can't say any of the images would make me want to try P30 with the exception of yours.

It really appears the film at this time is somewhere around ISO 40 or 50. Scanning film is one thing but wet printing is another. You really need good negs to wet print. Even the scanned images I've seen appear to be from seriously underexposed negs.

I was thinking about how Ferrania is approaching releasing preproduction emulsions. I along with several other commercial and wedding photographers did field testing of several films for both Kodak and Ilford. Both companies commissioned experienced professionals to test their preproduction emulsions and write up technical reports that were used to modify emulsions and the base of the films. Unfortunately Ferrania is gathering data and images from inexperienced shooters that aren't particularly good technicians. Their images are being presented as examples of what the film can do. I think they're rushing to get the product on the market and it's not ready.
I’ve shot two rolls of P30 so far. The first one, in my Leica MP, I screwed up. I set the wrong ISO so the entire roll was underexposed. This last roll, in my F-1, I used an incident light meter instead of the camera’s meter. I used ISO of 80. The results look very good and an ISO of 80 is probably close to its actual speed (though I may shoot my next roll at an ISO of 50 just to experiment). The grain is very smooth (for anyone familiar with Microdol X, it has the same “smeared look” that film processed in straight Microdol-X used to look like). Though Ferrania recommends D-76 as a developer, I may try Rodinal next. I’m looking for something to give the negs more “pop.”

But I’m not complaining, actually I’m thrilled to have a new film to play around with. No question it does have its own unique look.

As for Ferrania, what I understand that, currently, only six people (!) work there. I’m cutting them a lot of slack, at least for now.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 08-09-2017   #10
mothertrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
Must be nice. I've been asking them to send me my film for months. I opted for it also when they announced it quite some time ago.
If you it makes you feel any better I'm dying for you to get some too! Love your photography and think you will come up with something wonderful.

Old 08-09-2017   #11
x-ray

Mackinaw, nice work.

I know Ferrania is a tiny company and excited they're bringing a new old emulsion to the market. Actually I'm really excied and can't wait to try it. I just wish they'd gone through a little more structured testing procedure before any public release. The trade trial process is important in gathering reliable data to refine the emulsion.

It's my understanding this is an update or remake of an emulsion that was on the market in the 60's. Perhaps they felt there was no bead to field test behind closed doors for that reason.

I really have high hopes this wil be a better film than the Foma offering of Retropan 320 and Bergger 400 that have recently been introduced. I'm still experimenting with Begger 400 and looking for a developer that gives better mid tone separation. As to Retropan, I'm seriously disappointed. It's one of the worst films I've used in fifty plus years.

Good luck and please keep sharing images and your technical data. Excellent job!

Old 08-10-2017   #12
brbo

Some more (all developed in Rodinal (1:50)):

Not sure what you can make of this particular film by looking at the scans and since I don't print I obviously don't have the eye to tell you much about the film by just looking at the negatives...

The first two were overexposed (unintentionally) and underdeveloped (the first version of the Ferrania P30 "manual" had something like 8 or 9min for Rodinal 1:50; currently they suggest 14min). I guess the last two are more in line with what you should expect from P30 at iso80. I will probably shoot the next roll at iso50.

Old 08-10-2017   #13
Mackinaw
Think Different

Brbo, your negs seem to have more “pop” than mine. Maybe Rodinal is a better developer for P30. I may also try developing the film in Xtol or DD-X. Only three rolls left though, so I have to be choosy. I hear their online store will go public in September. I’ll buy some more P30 then.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 08-11-2017   #14
defconfunk
n00b

I just got my five rolls (I'm an original backer, and I bought these but kept my other rolls in queue). Brbo, I really like what you've got so far.

Anyone have some first hand experience with both p30 and Retro80s?

Old 08-11-2017   #15
x-ray

It's impossible to draw much of a conclusion from scans because scanners apply a profile / corrections. You might be applying curves and levels too.

I'd like to see a shot of the negs backlit so I can see the relative tones in them.

Really each of us have to give it a try ourselves. We all like something different in our negs whether wet printing or scanning. We all agitate different and simply have a different vision as to what the final image should look like. I print everything up to 4x5 with diffusion as well and others might use condenser. Just too many variables.

Guess we'll have to try it ourselves. It's always fun testing new emulsions.

Old 08-11-2017   #16
pepeguitarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Some more (all developed in Rodinal (1:50)):

Not sure what you can make of this particular film by looking at the scans and since I don't print I obviously don't have the eye to tell you much about the film by just looking at the negatives...

The first two were overexposed (unintentionally) and underdeveloped (the first version of the Ferrania P30 "manual" had something like 8 or 9min for Rodinal 1:50; currently they suggest 14min). I guess the last two are more in line with what you should expect from P30 at iso80. I will probably shoot the next roll at iso50.
The shots of the camera and the habanero look very nice to me. Maybe Rodinal is the way to go. I got my 5 rolls, I wills shoot one today.

Old 08-15-2017   #17
Freakscene
Deregistered user

I was one of the original Kickstarter backers, and ordered the day the P30 offer opened. I got my receipt that my P30 is on the way this morning. I'm not sure how that works, but I'll report back when I have the film and have shot it.

Edit - Ferrania says it shipped today 17/8/17.

Marty

Old 08-15-2017   #18
Stephen G

Looks good.
I'm still waiting on mine to ship..

Old 08-17-2017   #19
Larry Cloetta

Ferrania P30 at 80 ASA

D76 1+1 13 minutes at 20 degrees C.

Old 08-17-2017   #20
Mackinaw
Think Different

Nice tones. What kind of agitation did you use?

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 08-17-2017   #21
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Nice tones. What kind of agitation did you use?

Jim B.
Jim,

In a Patterson tank, 5 gentle inversions to start then 5 gentle inversions every 30 seconds after that. This is not my usual agitation method, but was trying to mimic the Ferrania 'best practices' table, at least for now. For D76 1+1, they note 13 minutes with constant agitation in a Jobo, so this was my very rough approximation of that.
As others have noted, this film might not have the exposure latitude of some others, but I really like it. Wish I had bought 5 rolls instead of 3.

Old 08-17-2017   #22
Larry Cloetta

6 foot tall man rinses off a very large horse.

Ferrania P30 at 80 ASA in D-76 1+1 13 minutes at 20 deg C.

Old 08-18-2017   #23
Larry Cloetta

Old 08-18-2017   #24
Bingley

I'm another kickstarter member and received my five rolls of P30 recently. I'm going to try it out next week, starting with developing in HC 110 dil. h (one of my go-to developers). Although Ferrania recommends shooting the film at box speed, I may also try giving it a little extra exposure. Excited to try this film!

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 08-18-2017   #25
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingley View Post
......Although Ferrania recommends shooting the film at box speed, I may also try giving it a little extra exposure. Excited to try this film!
I shot my first two rolls at an E.I. of 80, the next roll I'll be shooting at 50. I've been using D-76 1:1 as my developer, this next roll will be processed in Rodinal. Post your images once you shoot some.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 08-18-2017   #26
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
I'm another kickstarter member and received my five rolls of P30 recently. I'm going to try it out next week, starting with developing in HC 110 dil. h (one of my go-to developers). Although Ferrania recommends shooting the film at box speed, I may also try giving it a little extra exposure. Excited to try this film!
B,

I tried shooting at 120 ISO and using Diafine to get a small push, but I would of done better at box speed (80 ISO), even with Diafine.

I want more of this film. P30 has an interesting rendering. The highlights billow nicely and the shadows are detailed. The lack of mids using Diafine tells me that it would like more exposure.

Cal

Old 08-18-2017   #27
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
B,

I tried shooting at 120 ISO and using Diafine to get a small push, but I would of done better at box speed (80 ISO), even with Diafine.

I want more of this film. P30 has an interesting rendering. The highlights billow nicely and the shadows are detailed. The lack of mids using Diafine tells me that it would like more exposure.

Cal
Thanks for that post. Diafine is my other "go-to" developer. I'll shoot a roll at box speed and process in Diafine, to compare w/ the results using HC 110.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 08-19-2017   #28
Larry Cloetta

Old 08-20-2017   #29
AJShepherd

Exposed at box speed and developed in R09 at 1:100 for 45 minutes as recommended by the PDF on their website.

Vintage look by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

Controls by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

Pretty happy with those, and looking forward to using the other rolls i got.

Old 08-20-2017   #30
x-ray

Please post shots of your negs on a light box if you can. That tells much more than a scan of a neg. also let us know what developer.

The results are looking encouraging but for us wet printers we need to see actual negatives. With scanning you can salvage a neg that won't print in the darkroom. Your images look like they are from good negs.

Old 08-20-2017   #31
Larry Cloetta

Those are lovely.

Old 08-20-2017   #32
jim_jm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post

Wow - that's a great shot Larry!

Old 08-20-2017   #33
Larry Cloetta

Thank you!

Old 08-20-2017   #34
Mackinaw
Think Different

I shot another roll of P-30 yesterday. This time I used my old Canonflex (love that bottom-wind) along with a R35/2.5 and a R58/1.2 lenses. I used an incident light meter and shot the film at an E.I. of 50. I processed the film in D-76 1:1 for 13 minutes with continuous agitation using an old Beseler rotary processing motor that operates like a Jobo (sort of). At first glance the negs looked a little dense, buy they’re scanning just beautifully. No doubt they are much better than the E.I 80, straight D-76 pics I took last week. Here’s one from yesterday’s shoot.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 08-21-2017   #35
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Thanks for that post. Diafine is my other "go-to" developer. I'll shoot a roll at box speed and process in Diafine, to compare w/ the results using HC 110.
B,

Somehow I got a third roll of free P30 "Alpha" from Steve at the NYC Meet-Up. I loaded it in my Wetzlar M6 this morning and already shot 24 exposures at 80 ISO. I'll be dipping this roll in Diafine this Saturday.

I only do two inversions per minute, but I extend development 4+4 for added density for wet printing. This creates smaller grain and extends the compensating effect.

The two rolls I shot at 125 ISO had wonderful billowing highlights that were so smooth and dreamy. Nice shadow detail, but the mids were scooped. I expect at 80 ISO even more shadow detail an a heap of mids for a HDR film like effect. I like the results at 125 ISO, but I think 80 ISO will take a step more towards medium format tonality where the negative speaks in terms of the mids.

How crazy is that I am not an original supporter of the kick starter and already I somehow have recieved three rolls of P30 "Alpha" for free. LOL.

Cal

Old 08-21-2017   #36
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post
Wow - that's a great shot Larry!
Larry,

I love your shot. Too much fun...

Cal

Old 08-21-2017   #37
Larry Cloetta

Thanks, Cal. County Fairs have so many opportunities, it is just too easy. Plus, I enjoy the ambience, fun as you noted.

Old 08-21-2017   #38
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJShepherd View Post
Exposed at box speed and developed in R09 at 1:100 for 45 minutes as recommended by the PDF on their website.

Vintage look by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

Controls by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

Pretty happy with those, and looking forward to using the other rolls i got.
AJ,

Wonderful.

Rodinol with slow speed films has killer tonality. I wonder with the stand development you used how profound was the compensating effect on the negative? Did you have to add much contrast in post?

I'm a wet printer...

Cal

Old 08-23-2017   #39
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Bonus on last roll of P30 was a total of 39 frames, almost got to 40.

Generally I get 37-38 exposures from a roll of 135, but this last roll I got an additional bonus frame.

Cal

Old 08-23-2017   #40
Mackinaw
Think Different

39's pretty good. I've been getting 37 - 38 so far.

Two more from last Sunday. E.I. of 50, D76 1:1 for 13 minutes at 68F, continuous agitation.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery: