Which 28mm lens
Old 07-31-2016   #1
sara

Which 28mm lens

Mmm, I have a 35 Voigtlander at the moment, but I would like to get a 28mm lens as the other lens I would use once in a while (kind of want to shoot a project with it).

Thing is, I'm not one to afford an expensive Summicron 28 (I would rather save for the 35 Summicron), as I think 35 is my main lens...

Would there be a general sort of 28mm You would recommend I can use?

Old 07-31-2016   #2
Nigel Meaby

Hi Sara the Voigtlander 28mm f2 Ultron is an excellent lens for the money, especially if you pick one up second hand. Ffordes have a few used ones at the moment. http://www.ffordes.co.uk/category/Le...es/Voigtlander

Old 07-31-2016   #3
k__43
Registered Film User

As far as 28s go I'm a fan of the Voigtländer 28/3.5 but I don't like 28mm frame lines so I sold it

Old 07-31-2016   #4
Richard G

I would love that Summicron. I have the tiny Elmarit ASPH. It is perhaps too contrasty but it is very sharp and good at dusk. It is the cheapest Leica lens new and cheaper still second hand. No doubt you can find something equally or more satisfactory for less.

Old 07-31-2016   #5
Ronald M

28 2.8 ASPH. 28 Ultron 28 3.5 CV . Look into the Zeiss M 28

Old 07-31-2016   #6
sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Meaby View Post
Hi Sara the Voigtlander 28mm f2 Ultron is an excellent lens for the money, especially if you pick one up second hand. Ffordes have a few used ones at the moment. http://www.ffordes.co.uk/category/Le...es/Voigtlander
Thank you Nigel! Looks good - why the ultron version specifically?

Old 07-31-2016   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

If you have CV 35mm lens as main and OK with it as main lens, what is the logic to buy expensive 28 Cron for occasisional use?
Leica has made three usable versions of Elmarit-M 28. Cosina Vioghtlander has made the 28mm, two Ultrons and one Skopar. Zeiss has at least one 28. Canon made at least two 28, 2.8 and 3.5. Soviets made one interesting, Orion 15. And where are Kobalux 28 3.5 made in small quantities.
Each lens is usable for "general sort".

Old 07-31-2016   #8
sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
If you have CV 35mm lens as main and OK with it as main lens, what is the logic to buy expensive 28 Cron for occasisional use?
Leica has made three usable versions of Elmarit-M 28. Cosina Vioghtlander has made the 28mm, two Ultrons and one Skopar. Zeiss has at least one 28. Canon made at least two 28, 2.8 and 3.5. Soviets made one interesting, Orion 15. And where are Kobalux 28 3.5 made in small quantities.
Each lens is usable for "general sort".
Ah no! I mean I don't want an expensive 28 lens hence, scouting for a cheaper option (for now!)
Just want to have a go at different things

Old 07-31-2016   #9
mcfingon
Western Australia

I have the Zeiss ZM 50 Sonnar and 35 Biogon and recommend you look at the Biogon 28/2.8. I don't have one myself but would buy one if I had a camera with the right framelines - I have M2 and M3 Leicas. Some discussion here:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=124632

Old 07-31-2016   #10
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Thanks for clarification, Sara.
Elmarits M are also expensive. Inexpensive (in Leica, RF terms) and neat IMO is Color Skopar 28 3.5.
I'm also hoping to look for 28 soon, I agree what it is different from 35, which is also my main lens. And I have tried one 28mm lens already
Biogon 28 2.8 is next lens to look at if you want to have modern rendering, but it is twice expensive comparing to Skopar.
And old Canon Serenar 28 is also inexpensive and famous for use by Garry Winogrand before he switched to Elmarit-M 28.
Cheers, Ko.

Old 07-31-2016   #11
kxl
Social Documentary

IMHO, the best value in 28mm is the Hexanon-M 28/2.8.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 07-31-2016   #12
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Don't forget the pancake style 28mm's, they are small, light and good shooters:

Canon 28mm f2.8 or the f3.5
Nikon 28mm f3.5

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 07-31-2016   #13
jim0266

I find 28 and 35 a little too close together. The last few years I've slowly made the transition to Zeiss glass for my M shooting. Consider the 25/2.8 Zeiss. It's just wide enough to be a very noticeable change from a 35. After using it I can't image a better wide lens even against Leica's offerings.

For me the 21 is a little too wide. I have the CV 21/4 and it's fantastic. I also have the 28/3.5 CV and it's a nice lens for the money but I'm not enamored of its ergonomics.

With the 25 you can use the who RF window to estimate the framing.

Here's two with the Zeiss 25:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/536044...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/536044...posted-public/

Last edited by jim0266 : 07-31-2016 at 08:45. Reason: Mangled URLs

Old 07-31-2016   #14
SteveM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
Agree with this comment. The 28 mm FOV is my favourite and I have 3 lenses: M-Hexanon 28/2.8, Avenon 28/3.5 and Zeiss 28/2.8. In addition to cost they handle very differently, but I would say the rendering of these is more similar than, say, the much older Canons. For compactness the Avenon is best; it's my go-to travel lens. If choosing only one it would be the M-Hexanon. I've often considered picking up a 28/3.5 CV as they are so highly regarded (wasn't originally this way though) but prices are not really that much lower than the Hexanon so it's been hard to justify that purchase. It's only drawback is its larger size than the other two, but handling and build quality are the best of the three.

Steve

MF : Bronica RF645, Ercona II, Franka Solida IIIe

Old 07-31-2016   #15
rfaspen

Well, as a person who also seems to use 35 more often, I have a couple/few 28mm lenses in the cupboard.

Of my 28mm lenses, my v4 elmarit is my hands-down favorite. I nearly got the v3 elmarit, but a v4 came along at better price and I like the smaller size of the v4. But, being Leica lenses, none are "cheap". To me, the v3 elmarit has a look I really like, and its usually priced nicely for a somewhat recent Leica M lens.

Other than the elmarit, I seem to only have LTM 28's. The small, well-made Canon 28/3.5 is really a nice lens. Mine is haze free, but its still quite low contrast. Sharp, but low contrast. None of my other 28's impress me.

But I leave with my actual recommendation: The CV 28/2 Ultron. There are a few folks here on RFF who swear by this lens, and backed it up with some lovely photos. Search for the threads, you'll find them. In terms of bang-for-the-buck, it really seems to be the way to go. And, not being one to recommend a lens I've never tried....I had a day (actually 2 days) with said lens about a year ago. It was mid summer and very contrasty daytime conditions, so my images were really contrasty, but really sharp. I didn't get a chance to take advantage of f/2 during my test, but considering my other f/2 lenses, I know I would appreciate it!

Using a 28 in general. That's something you'll have to see if you like. I like it, but its not my primary "vision" with Leica's. Typically 35 or 50 for me. I also struggle to use 90, but there are times for that focal length too. Least we got choices, eh?

Old 07-31-2016   #16
Pioneer

Love the MS Optical 28/4 Perar Triplet. Not sure what the cost is right now but it is a tiny little pancake lens that does an awesome job. The only problem is flare and reduced contrast if you shoot into the sun.

You may also want to consider the Skopar Snapshot 25, if you can find one. They were very popular for quite awhile.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 07-31-2016   #17
Nigel Meaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara View Post
Thank you Nigel! Looks good - why the ultron version specifically?
I guess primarily for it's speed, a very good value fast lens. This thread will tell you much more about it than I possibly could

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=62434

Old 07-31-2016   #18
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

I have the Leica M 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit ASPH and that's the lens I would recommend. It is extremely well made, small, lightweight, contrasty, brilliant and ungodly sharp. The current version has a screw on metal lens hood that stops at the exact right orientation every time you screw it on. No more plastic Toys R Us lens hood!

I had the older version of the Leica 28/2.0 Summicron (with the plastic hood) up until about a year ago. The new Elmarit 28 is a stop slower than the older Summicron lens I previously owned; still, the Elmarit is a better lens provided you can get by without the extra stop of speed.

The new Elmarit 28 is a superb lens for not a lot of money (compared to Leica's other 28mm offerings).

Old 07-31-2016   #19
aizan

i'd get the 28mm ultron in m-mount for the extra speed.

Old 07-31-2016   #20
ornate_wrasse

There's also the Voigtlander 28mm 1.9. I had this lens but sold it after I bought the Leica 28mm Elmarit.

it would require an adapter as it's a screw mount lens (unlike the Voigtlander 28mm 2.0 Ultron which does not require an adapter) but may work for you.

Here's Ken Rockwell's take on the lens:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/voigtlander/28mm-f19.htm

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8

Old 07-31-2016   #21
kermaier

If you can find a Voigtlander 28/3.5 Skopar, it's a great lens: sharp, contrasty and solidly built. These are typically in the $450 range, I think.
The Canon 28/3.5 is another very nice lens, but lower contrast and gives an old-style color palette, if you like the look. Should run about $300 in good condition.
I'm also a big fan of the Minolta 28/2.8 M-Rokkor -- but it's hard to find one without spots in the front element, and it brings up the 35mm frame lines unless you have the mount modified. Clean and modified, might be as much as $500.
The Zeiss Biogon and Konica M-Hexanon will be more in the $800 range.
The fast CV 28s are much bigger than any of the above lenses, if that's a consideration for you.

Old 07-31-2016   #22
ferider

Since 28mm is my favorite focal length, I have lots of them, including Elmarit, M-Rokkor, Color Skopar, Elmarit, vintage Nikkor 28/3.5, and CV LTM 28/1.9.

My favorite, and if I had to choose only one, would be the CV VM 28/2, both on film and digital. Outstanding lens, technically almost perfect f2.8 and up, and you have the extra stop. And reasonably compact and mechanically very easy to use.

Roland.

Old 08-07-2016   #23
asimplefarmer

I have the CV 28mm f1.9 and the results on my M240 are great 2.8 and onwards. It's stupidly soft less than 2.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-07-2016   #24
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
+1 also worth a look is the zeiss M 28/2.8

My Flickr

Old 08-07-2016   #25
Jake Mongey

If you're any fan of the Ricoh GR, Ricoh made a 28mm lens to the same design as the GR one in LTM and M mount I think

28??
Old 08-07-2016   #26
Dektol Dan

28??

The Elmarit would be my first choice, but I chose the Zeiss Biogon; if you shop you can get a good used one for around $600.

I like mine!

Leica M6, Ektar:

Old 08-07-2016   #27
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Not to be contrary, but I'm a big fan of the V2 Elmarit-M. Shoot that, a summicron ASPH and a Hektor. I'm all over the effing place. They all do what they do. Some time spent at Flickr is my favorite means of making a lens decision. Just decided I have no interest in a summilux 75.

Old 08-07-2016   #28
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornate_wrasse View Post
There's also the Voigtlander 28mm 1.9.
I have this lens, it's very good both on film and the digitals I have used it with (Epson R-D1 and Leica M8). The only problem I have with the lens is its handling. I don't know whether the newer 28/2 is better in this respect, but it looks closer to the 35/1.4 which handles nicely.

Given the size of the lens and how little I use it, it might make sense for me to switch to a smaller lens (2.8, 3.5). I really felt the need for the speed with the R-D1, but it is now less important.

Old 08-07-2016   #29
ChrisN
Striving

I'm going to go wild and suggest another track here.

Is this for film or digital? I'm playing with the idea of a 28 myself to add to my rangefinder kit, but the price for a lens (and a separate viewfinder) keeps driving me back to my old film SLR cameras when I really want to shoot a bit wider than 35mm. An Olympus OM body with a 28/3.5 lens, or a Pentax body with their 28/2.8 (or either of the Canon or Nikon equivalents) will cost you very little and might be a better choice if this will not be a mainstream focal length for you and cost is a consideration. If you are looking for a lens to match your existing digital rangefinder then that's another story. Good light!

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-08-2016   #30
brennanphotoguy

Don't know what your exact budget is but the Voigtlander 28/2 Ultron is cheap brand new and the best bang for the buck in terms of fast wides imho. If you want something that's really good, a little more expensive but will hold value a little more then I think the Ricoh 28mm LTM GR lens with an M adapter is super cool and not something you see every day. Super awesome and unique lens. If you have a bit more money then the Leica 28/2.8 ASPH is awesome as well. I like the newest version with the screw on hood the best but if you wanna save a little money then the previous ASPH model is just as good but has the clip on plastic hood.

Old 08-08-2016   #31
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermaier View Post
If you can find a Voigtlander 28/3.5 Skopar, it's a great lens: sharp, contrasty and solidly built.
Yep, agreed.

Old 10-04-2016   #32
Perks

I am looking at getting a 28mm, how much m6 viewfinder blockage do you get with the biogon, hexanon and voigtander 3.5?

I have seen that the ultron 2.0 is considerable.

Cheers

Old 10-05-2016   #33
iaeaix

M-Rokkor 28/2.8 is a good option. It is a M mount lens with focus tab, the character is more modern than Canon and Nikkor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-10-2016   #34
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

The Kobalux (Avenon/Bower/Pasoptik) 28mm f/3.5 is a fantastic lens.
After I sold mine I went through maybe three other 28mm lenses and was never satisfied with them like I was with the little Kobalux. It has a character to it that I loved.

Then I found 21mm and the lenses like the Super Angulon and O-Nikkor...

Phil Forrest