Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount / LTM Cameras

View Poll Results: What's your position on Leica LTM (not Leica specific), in light of an M?
I had/have both (M and LTM) and prefer the LTM 73 14.72%
I had/have both (M and LTM) and prefer the M 150 30.24%
I have both (M and LTM) and like them equally 149 30.04%
Only ever had an LTM and need look no further 68 13.71%
Only ever had an M and need look no further (was just here by accident or curiosity) 52 10.48%
I have no interest in either (M or LTM) - either prima facie or a priori 4 0.81%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2016   #201
Bluesman
Richard

Loved my M2, but never became friends with the eyepiece/viewfinder. I wear glasses. Loved the shutter sound and the mechanical feel. Settled for a FED2 instead just because the diopter adjustment possibility. Use it with a black industar and a black J12. I never bothered that the viewfinder doesn´t show the 35mm frame..I just shoot :-)

Old 11-23-2016   #202
brennanphotoguy

I'm really going to get out and use it in the street this coming Saturday. I've been carrying it around in my pocket for a few days and it's really not too bad if you zone focus or just know your distances well. I could see myself having issues shooting below f/4 with a 50mm though in times I don't have time to think about it.

Old 01-04-2017   #203
stillshunter
unlearning digital habits

Well as the OP, I've finally come back to read this thread in its entirety so far. What an absolute gem of a read. Seriously if your eyes have little to do while having a nice brew then I'd strongly advice another perusal.

The reason I revisited this thread was a little while ago I found myself so time-starved because of work that I took the 'initiative' to go digital only....and so every serious film camera was sold to fund a full Fujifilm digital line-up. Recently I've been on leave and had the opportunity to go over my image library and found myself pining very seriously for film again. So I'd resolved a return to film and a readjustment of work priorities (or more accurately where work fits within my hierarchy of values).

But which camera? (hence my revisitating this thread)

In the context of RFs I've been fortunate enough to own the XA, M2, R3A, IIIf, M4-P, so I had the benefit of their experience. Knowing this I thought back on which camera I most enjoyed shooting, which engaged me the deepest and got me 'into the zone' and got out of the way...and then the choice was crystal clear.

In short, over the next few days I look forward to the arrival of a IIIf.

Flickriver

Old 01-05-2017   #204
Welleyes

Since you have mentioned cars, may I add a little to the discussion? The old control tower at Goodwood is used as a cafe at the moment and you sit there surrounded by the original Crittall windows and, between them, beautiful black and white photographs of motor racing. Anything from the earliest days of the circuit would have been shot on Leica or Contax, wouldn't it? The wonderful pre-war photos taken by Robert Fellowes were also likely to be on one of those. No long lenses then, but I am old enough to just remember photographers standing on the apex of corners with their screwmount Leicas. They got the shots! The famous pictures of the pre war Singer team cars crashing includes a sequence of three very rapidly taken shots. Perhaps a new challenge here: photographs of the vintage races at Goodwood taken with III and IIIa cameras, later LTMs, M3s and M2s for the fifties cars... how about it? Can we still use the cameras as they once were used to record high speed action? (From the spectator side of the fence these days.)

And to keep this relevant to the thread, I am happy with III and IIIc/f, but would like an M2.

Stuart

Old 01-05-2017   #205
stillshunter
unlearning digital habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welleyes View Post
Since you have mentioned cars, may I add a little to the discussion? The old control tower at Goodwood is used as a cafe at the moment and you sit there surrounded by the original Crittall windows and, between them, beautiful black and white photographs of motor racing. Anything from the earliest days of the circuit would have been shot on Leica or Contax, wouldn't it? The wonderful pre-war photos taken by Robert Fellowes were also likely to be on one of those. No long lenses then, but I am old enough to just remember photographers standing on the apex of corners with their screwmount Leicas. They got the shots! The famous pictures of the pre war Singer team cars crashing includes a sequence of three very rapidly taken shots. Perhaps a new challenge here: photographs of the vintage races at Goodwood taken with III and IIIa cameras, later LTMs, M3s and M2s for the fifties cars... how about it? Can we still use the cameras as they once were used to record high speed action? (From the spectator side of the fence these days.)

And to keep this relevant to the thread, I am happy with III and IIIc/f, but would like an M2.

Stuart
Not sure mate. We used to fight with broad swords, and even earlier hunt and gather. Likely we're not made of the stuff to wield these weapons any more or fend for ourselves in the wilds. Seems the better we make the tools the further we get from being able to perform the essential intended task...in terms of motor-sports, we'd likely not be able to double-shift synchro the gears even

But I know the rejoinder here would be with practice, repetition, muscle-memory, we could again do anything, so I think after a time and serious application we could shoot like this again.
...but can we be bothered (is the consequent and sadder question)?.

Flickriver

Old 01-07-2017   #206
Welleyes

"Not sure mate. We used to fight with broad swords, and even earlier hunt and gather. Likely we're not made of the stuff to wield these weapons any more or fend for ourselves in the wilds. Seems the better we make the tools the further we get from being able to perform the essential intended task...in terms of motor-sports, we'd likely not be able to double-shift synchro the gears even"

Hmmm! I have no trouble with 'crash' boxes or even transmission by multiple chains so an LTM Leica seems fairly normal not to say modern. Perhaps if I ever buy an M2, I will know if my screwmounts are obsolete or difficult. The serious point is that if old cars, cameras or aeroplanes work and give pleasure, then they have a place in our world. In the end, my III and IIIc/f are the nicest cameras I can afford. I run a modern car as well as Barnack age cars so I am only half way to being a Luddite: a later Leica would go down very well, I think.

Old 02-02-2017   #207
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welleyes View Post
"Not sure mate. We used to fight with broad swords, and even earlier hunt and gather. Likely we're not made of the stuff to wield these weapons any more or fend for ourselves in the wilds. Seems the better we make the tools the further we get from being able to perform the essential intended task...in terms of motor-sports, we'd likely not be able to double-shift synchro the gears even"

Hmmm! I have no trouble with 'crash' boxes or even transmission by multiple chains so an LTM Leica seems fairly normal not to say modern. Perhaps if I ever buy an M2, I will know if my screwmounts are obsolete or difficult. The serious point is that if old cars, cameras or aeroplanes work and give pleasure, then they have a place in our world. In the end, my III and IIIc/f are the nicest cameras I can afford. I run a modern car as well as Barnack age cars so I am only half way to being a Luddite: a later Leica would go down very well, I think.
I agree the notion that which technology we land on is an attempt to to find something that works and "gives pleasure" - or provides a form of satisfaction in creating images that is missing in the most modern technology. The problem with the argument that the M cameras are better than the Barnacks is evident: if technological superiority is the criteria we could easily find new technologies that are "better" still than the M. If that were the logic there would be no reason to shoot old film cameras at all.

Of course for some the Barnacks are 'primitive', meaning too slow to work with; so use a M then. For others there is nothing to replace the experience of the Barnack and the renderings of LTM lenses.

Old 06-15-2017   #208
MISH

I have two M cameras and several of what I would consider to be some of the best examples of Leica glass in M mount. These are surely better tools than my Barnacks. However selfishly I mainly photograph for my own pleasure and I love using my SM cameras and try to give them plenty of exercise. If you consider the cost vs pleasure ratio for me it is not even close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-15-2017   #209
AlTheKiller

I have a IIIb and its a great little camera. Well built and fits right into my pocket. Great for a carry around camera.

Id love an M2 though.

Old 06-15-2017   #210
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I have 2 LTM and there's no reason to get an M.
My level of photography could be satisfied with a Polaroid Swinger.
I probably will fall again though and get an M2 but not yet. But I don't need it. Really.

Old 06-20-2017   #211
SyPat

I use or used several Leicas: IIIc, IIIg, M3, M2, M4 and CL.
The M3 finder is better than everything else, but for everything else than the finder, I prefer the Barnacks or a Contax II/IIa.

Old 06-22-2017   #212
rjschell

The 50mm SBOOI finder makes any Barnack a pleasure to use.

Old 06-29-2017   #213
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I had an interesting occurrence last week on vacation. I was carrying the Leica Standard with Summitar in my blue jeans pocket, and I found in several instances that the camera would wind on the film advance as I pulled the camera out of my pocket.

Old 06-30-2017   #214
shootar401
Unregistred User

I had an M2, before that a Nikon F3. I shot with the M2 for a few months and never really got into it. I sold it and went back to my F3 and Rolleiflex.

Picked up a IIIc and fell in love with the small size and the Elmar 5cm lens. I bought another IIIc with a 13,5cm lens and another IIIc an Elmar for my girlfriend who was eyeballing mine.

Old 07-07-2017   #215
Doug A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschell View Post
The 50mm SBOOI finder makes any Barnack a pleasure to use.

Agreed. One of my Barnacks with the 50/1.4 Canon LTM, the SBOOI finder and a roll of HP5+ is my regular walking around outfit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-07-2017   #216
Daryl J.

I have my IIIc, 3.5/50 red scale Elmar, SBOOI along with either my M4 or M4-2. It all depends on what I'm going to do.

Old 08-01-2017   #217
Rico

The C/V chrome 35mm finder makes my IIIb a pleasure to use with a Summaron 35. The RF is squinty but accurate, or I can just focus by scale. Leica M is an okay shooter, too.

Rico Tudor. Leica M4, IIIb, 28, 35, 50, 90, 135, 280. Contax T, RTS; Canon; Nikon; Sony; Profoto

Old 08-03-2017   #218
Ade-oh

I do love shooting with my IIIc but, realistically, it's considerably more 'hit and miss' than my MP which, for me anyway, is the perfect mechanical film rangefinder. On the other hand, people rarely stop me in the street when I'm using the MP, but people often come up and ask me about the IIIc.

Old 08-04-2017   #219
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Currently I own a Leica II (the eternal one, in my avatar) and a recently serviced black IIf that started life as a Standard. Also a very nice Zorki 1 that fellow RRF-er Daan gifted me.

Haven't had an M Leica in years and don't feel I want one either. Well, maybe a nice black paint M4...

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 08-04-2017   #220
bayernfan

i prefer my Ig to my M4 when I'm using 28mm or wider.

Old 10-24-2017   #221
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
I had an interesting occurrence last week on vacation. I was carrying the Leica Standard with Summitar in my blue jeans pocket, and I found in several instances that the camera would wind on the film advance as I pulled the camera out of my pocket.
And you think Oskar Barnack didn’t anticipate that?

Old 02-22-2018   #222
tennis-joe

I took my Rangefinder camera to San Antonio, TX this past weekend and was stopped various times to ask about my camera. Most other people had telephones or digital cameras taking pictures. The Rangefinder film camera draws attention if you want it.

Old 02-22-2018   #223
besk

If my IIIf had a built-in meter I would have never purchased my M6.

Old 02-22-2018   #224
Ronald M

except for digital

Old 02-23-2018   #225
Deardorff38

Over the past decade my take on cameras has changed. I often travel with one camera & one lens. I don't obsess about having the widest range of lenses or the latest APO 'best' glass. Whether its the Deardorff with a Dagor lens, the Rolleiflex T, the Leica MP or the iii, I pick what i think is the best tool for the job & live with its limitations & mine. Photography for me, means a print out of a wet darkroom.I considered a (film) CL again with a Miyazaki Tessar....but even though i got great results with CL & CLE, back in the day, I never got the warm & fuzzy feeling of fine mechanical engineering with them. Lately my Iphone 6 has been replaced photographically by a Leica iii. The results i've gotten with the CV 28, Summaron 35 & CV 50 2.5 have been great. There's a jewel-like quality to the build of the earlier screwmount Leicas and the handling of these smaller cameras is terrific. As much as I have appreciated decades of M use.....I'm finding the iii to be a joy to use. As for imperfections, there's something to be said for getting fine results with a simple tool.
unnamed by Greg Yavorsky, on Flickr

Old 03-08-2018   #226
Franko

Two Ms came and went but my IIIf soldiers on.

Old 03-28-2018   #227
charjohncarter

I just voted, but haven't read all the posts. But the cool factor is surely in the Barnack camp.

Old 03-28-2018   #228
jsrockit

I've had both in the past and no longer own either... emotionally the LTM cameras are very cool and awesome to play with. They feel great... BUT the M is more my style for actual photography. I cannot do that well with the separate rangefinder / viewfinder. I have always wished that Leica made a LTM camera with a combined RF/VF. How cool would that be? I just am not the scale focus type unless I'm using a camera that only offers scale focus like a Rollei 35.

Old 03-28-2018   #229
Livesteamer

Pardon my potential heresy but the Canon IVSB2 has a combined RF/VF, is a LTM bottom loader and is arguably the best of the Barnack type cameras. I have one, it's a bit bigger than my IIIc but is a very good camera. All that said I use my IIIc's much more than any other camera. Joe

Old 04-18-2018   #230
presspass
filmshooter

The IVSB2 is, indeed, a wonderful camera. It also has a rangefinder patch that's yellow and much brighter than either my IIIa or my IIIc. The finder also has three settings, so you can use it for a 50, magnify it to approximately a 100, or take it another step to about 135. The two magnifications also make it easier to focus the Canon 1.5 50mm.

Old 04-18-2018   #231
mpaniagua

Not a Leica M/LTM so will skip those two latest comments

Seriously, they are good cameras. Canon lens are good as well, but overall, I prefer Leica LTM compactness.

Best regards

Marcelo

Old 07-01-2018   #232
lxmike
Barnack fan

Reading this thread makes me feel like l am not alone as l wander around the hous carrying of of my barnacks as l give the shutter some exercise

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5

Old 10-13-2018   #233
mcfingon
Western Australia

The camera combo I'm using at the moment is a Leica III with 1950 Canon Serenar 50/1.9. Looking at lens schematics, the Serenar design appears very close to the pre-war Leitz Summar and even closer to the 1930's Schneider Xenon.

John Mc

Old 10-13-2018   #234
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I've pared down my camera ownership to the M2 & model ii, with a couple of Zorki's in the background. I probably carry the model ii more often because it is compact when bicycle riding, but shoot more film with the M2, because I carry it on "serious" photo outings. Neither is better, only different.

barnack for weight
Old 10-24-2018   #235
DavidC

barnack for weight

I have a IIIc and once the beam splitter was changed is actually easy to focus. But the biggest advantage is the lighter weight of this little rig which when it comes to the outdoors I tend to grab first.
If it's indoors shooting I'll grab the M7 anytime for its ease of use in low light and excellent exposure.

Old 10-24-2018   #236
Veggies

I just picked up a superb nikkor-h 5cm f/2 in LTM today and it is a little cracker of a lens. I don;t much prefer 50mm so a Leica lens wouldn't be good for me, but this one is a nice and cheap little edition to my kit.

Old 01-19-2019   #237
gb hill

All my Bessas are LTM as well as my Nicca llls. Like the lenses. Even my Russian lenses.

Old 01-19-2019   #238
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
The camera combo I'm using at the moment is a Leica III with 1950 Canon Serenar 50/1.9. Looking at lens schematics, the Serenar design appears very close to the pre-war Leitz Summar and even closer to the 1930's Schneider Xenon.

John Mc

Nice setup! The black Leica III looks great

Flickr

Old 01-19-2019   #239
WJJ3

I like my 1f for its small size and low weight. For these points I do prefer it, but its lack of rangefinder makes it a bit limited...

Flickr

Old 01-20-2019   #240
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Leica M? What Leica M?

Read about this camera on my website

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |