Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR

Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR Smaller than full frame digital Leica M mount cameras. The Ricoh is included as a less expensive and viable digital Leica M lens platform.

Would you sell your 5Dmk2 for an M8?
Old 02-19-2014   #1
jaimiepeeters

Would you sell your 5Dmk2 for an M8?

Hi

since I stopped doing fashion photography and only use my 5dmk2 for some commercial portrait stuff, I was wondering what the thoughts would be on selling the 5dmk2 + 24-70L set and get the M8 to use with the lens of my M2.. a Summicron 50mm f2 Type 3.

Would appreciate your thoughts and motivation.

Old 02-19-2014   #2
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

Don't have any experience with either, but what do you think the M8 would offer that the 5D doesn't?

Old 02-19-2014   #3
jaimiepeeters

I'ts smaller and easier to bring along for street and documentary photography. It can use my summicron lens. It would keep me in the Leica vibe, which although puny to me its all about emotion. I think I would use it more than my 5D which I only pick up for small commercial jobs like portraits or such. Im guessing I could do these jobs with the M8 as well.

Old 02-19-2014   #4
2WK
Rangefinder User

The M8 will definitely be more fun to shoot with. You may miss the image quality of the 5d sometimes though. I would save a bit more and get a used M9.

Old 02-19-2014   #5
f16sunshine

I owned them both side by side for years. Guess what... the 5Dii is still here but the M8 is two years gone.
It's a matter of versatility, reliability and ultimately higher IQ.
The M8 makes beautiful images no doubt but it just does not add up.
Oh and, if you have a failure... most likely you will be SOL with most serious issues and achieving a repair.

Cheers!

Old 02-19-2014   #6
Ronald M

People with unrepairable cameras normally get some discount on new similar product.

To make colors work properly, you will need a uv/ir filter,, B+W 486. You should still profile the camera unless you like the colors Leica engineers decided upon. They are not correct but they do have a certain look.

You may want the lens coded. 50 mm sees a 65mm angle of view from crop sensor.

I like mine, my son likes his, but I would not buy one again. All the issues they have will need to be worked around and coding/ filters are all that works.

Old 02-19-2014   #7
jaimiepeeters

I didn't know they were such a hassle!
bit disappointing.

A used M9 is 3500€ that would mean saving up 2500€ extra

Old 02-19-2014   #8
Pioneer

I have the M9 and I like it. But I didn't sell my Canon 5d.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 02-19-2014   #9
jane7l

saw many m9 recently for 2600-2800 eur. was thinking of selling my m8 and get one, but i think the difference is to small to bother.
get m8 with 5d2 and you will see.

Old 02-19-2014   #10
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimiepeeters View Post
You should be able to find one in Europe for considerably less than that price.

flickr
Flickr

Old 02-19-2014   #11
Fraser

why not sell the 24-70 which is huge and buy a 50mm 1.2 for the 5d.

Old 02-19-2014   #12
philipus
ʎɐpɹəʇɥƃıɹq looɟɹəʇƃıɹq

Quote:
Where have you seen M8s for 1000€?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimmunity View Post
You should be able to find one in Europe for considerably less than that price.
From private hands then? I haven't seen sub-3000€ M9s at European dealers. EDIT: I just saw Tom's post - yes, 3200€ I've seen too.

I sold my 5D2 and the 24-70L and bought a Coolscan 9000. A bit off topic, sorry. I wouldn't, however, have bought the M8. It's old tech, poor high ISO performance, hassle with filters, risk of the screen failing etc.

If the concern is to be able to use your M lenses, and you're ok with a crop factor, why not consider one of them Ricohs with the M module or some such solution?

Just my 2cts.

Camera position: In general as shown in Fig. H and J, but according to requirements other positions are also possible or more practical.

Old 02-19-2014   #13
jaimiepeeters

Will look into the Ricohs.

I've seen a 1350€ M8 at Photo Professional of example.

Old 02-19-2014   #14
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

No. Don't do it.

Why?

Think of it this way, you've heard "Never buy the first year of a given product"? Why, because you end up being a beta tester. The M8 was Leica's first shot at a digital camera. It's a beta. It's filled with lots of problems.
No reason to spend lots of money on beta.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 02-19-2014   #15
twopointeight

I had the M8.2 for 2-3 years. Used it for a project or two, but it wasn't versatile enough plus a couple of other downsides. The 5DMK2 does it all very well and I wouldn't sell it. I make a living with it, plus recently the Fuji XPro1 system. Get the 40mm pancake for the 5DMK2 and go shoot the street or whatever.

Old 02-19-2014   #16
varchs

For an mp for sure... ;-)
--
VArchS | Architecture & Design Services
MyFlickr

Old 02-19-2014   #17
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

My full-frame camera is a Nikon D600 and it can do a lot the Canon can do too. But the M8 sure can do a lot less than either of them. Also, the M8 prone to failure and either impossible or expensive repairs as well.

I'd stick with the Canon and get a nice M4-P, M6-TTL or something like that to enjoy rangefinderism.

The digital Leica's only are for those that shoot it as an expensive hobby or use it professionally and can afford having it serviced when needed. Sad to say so since I hate the size of my D600 and other full frame DSLR's, but that's what it is.

Regret to read you gave up on fashion photography, I thought your stuff had potential and I liked it.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 02-19-2014   #18
David_Manning

Well, you've heard it from other people...now you'll hear it from me

Get a used M9 instead, or really, keep the 5DmkII and get a used M6. I have a 5DmkII and an M9, and as much as I love that M9, when I really HAVE to get an image, the 5DmkII wins...

If you're looking for a light street setup, get a used M6 and shoot a bit of film. I really think selling the Canon for an M8 is a big step down. It's a crippled machine IMO.

Last edited by David_Manning : 02-19-2014 at 13:55. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-19-2014   #19
x-ray

I no longer have canon, went back to nikon but even on a bad day I wouldn't trade a canon or nikon for an M8 or even an M9 and I own an M9. I actually regret buying the m9.

Old 02-19-2014   #20
x-ray

As I mentioned I have an M9, D800 and Df along with a Hasselblad digital system. Unfortunately my M9 hasn't been very reliable. Bad luck of the draw I guess but the problems haven't been uncommon with other owners. Looking past my annoyance with Leica and the M9 I honestly would not give up any of my gear for one even if the M9 a perfect camera. I purchased a Df last year just after they came out and I must say I absolutely love it. I shoot vintage primes on it and the current G series zooms and a few primes on the D800. The files from the M9 are pretty at base ISO but much above that they really look so so. The Df is remarkable at very high ISO. The vintage primes are beautiful and have a very lovely look that would remind you of the good old film days.

To me the only reason I bought the M9 was to use current high speed glass wide open on documentary shoots. Unfortunately my M9 body spends most of it's time in the shop so I don't get much use out of the lenses.

I shot side by side with my D800 and M9 at a tent revival last year. I shot the M9 and primes at 1.4 and 1600 ISO and shot the D800 at 6400 at 2.8. I must say the D800 files had much less noise and were cleaner overall plus the VR on two of my lenses made it possible to shoot hand held at much lower speeds than I would have thought possible.

Fr the low light difficult situations I shoot in I feel the Df is a better tool and is quite small. I did a side by side of the M9 and Df and posted images here and they are surprisingly close in size. The mirror box and prism make it appear larger but in reality it isn't much larger.

Just my perspective.

Old 02-19-2014   #21
Berth

Quote:
Hi

since I stopped doing fashion photography and only use my 5dmk2 for some commercial portrait stuff, I was wondering what the thoughts would be on selling the 5dmk2 + 24-70L set and get the M8 to use with the lens of my M2.. a Summicron 50mm f2 Type 3.

Would appreciate your thoughts and motivation.
I happen to own a 5D Mark II, and a gaggle of L lenses. The answer is no, I wouldn't change to any digital Leica.

On the other hand, I did buy a Leica MP about 7 weeks ago. To complement my 5D by opening the world of street photography.

Old 02-19-2014   #22
jippiejee

Jeebus, I thought this was a rangefinder forum. Look at all the 'get the auto-everything A7', 'stick to your dlsr', 'buy an all-AF fuji' advice in this thread. I'd assume you come to this forum because you like rangefinders.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 02-19-2014   #23
Gary Sandhu

I have a M8 and D700. They're so different it's hard to pick just one; but if pressed, I'd keep the M8. The d700 makes awesome photographs but it can be a chore to pick the right settings and to carry it. It's impossible to replicate the rangefinder experience in an SLR.

Old 02-19-2014   #24
Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippiejee View Post
Jeebus, I thought this was a rangefinder forum. Look at all the 'get the auto-everything A7', 'stick to your dlsr', 'buy an all-AF fuji' advice in this thread. I'd assume you come to this forum because you like rangefinders.
The OP has a (film) rangefinder already, so perhaps that's affecting how people are responding? And the suggestion of an M9 has been made more than once. I haven't said anything so far, but in the same shoes and with the same budget I'd get an A7 ahead of an M8: for one thing I could use the Canon lens/es on it! The A7 isn't "auto-everything" with a Summicron stuck on the front, it's about as auto as an M8. In fact it's going to be harder to manually focus, if hair shirts are the measure of what is "best".

I can recall how a few years ago this forum readily endorsed the Minolta CLE as a viable camera, now the sense is it's too risky. The M8 has crossed that bridge: the collective wisdom is that with limited parts availability it's a slowly ticking timebomb. The M9 at least has the M-E's currency driving stocks of parts for repair. Many M8s will continue to take great photos, and I recently bought a CLE that works fine, but don't be surprised when people are given the established wisdom in response to a fairly common question.

Old 02-20-2014   #25
jsrockit

Quote:
In the digital world, there are just not many RF options that are sensibly priced or that are not antiquated. That leaves a lot of us looking elsewhere.

Old 02-20-2014   #26
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny scarecrow View Post
Could it be that this discussion is in the wrong section?
Moved it to the digital M section. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2014   #27
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Quote:
I didn't know they were such a hassle!
bit disappointing.

I'm a pragmatist. They're not "such a hassle." They're the most affordable Leica digital rangefinder camera. Some have had issues, but I suspect that the majority of them have been solid performers. Mine is so far.

I dumped my DSLR gear last year and returned to Leica digital as my small format digital. I also have an M4-P and Hassy 500 gear. Despite the naysayers, the issue is more one of your gear suiting your style of shooting. If you're more comfortable doing commercial work with your M2 than your DSLR, then the M8 will work for you. As with any gear you're using commercially, you'll want to have a backup plan for a failure on a shoot, but you should have that with any other brand as well. I shot with Canon film equipment for years and had failures, particularly in lens motors. Failures happen.

So... if shooting a rangefinder camera works better for you than a DSLR (as it does for me) don't be afraid of the M8. Recognize it's shortcomings, learn the "ins and outs" of what can fail and how they're repaired, learn the work-arounds, have redundancy, and get on with it. I have an M9-P, my M8 is my back-up body now, and I have a Panny GX-1 with an M adapter that is the back-up to my back-up. If something fails, I'll still get the job done; perhaps not as easily, but I'll get the images.

Find me on the web...

Old 02-20-2014   #28
Fuchs

Keep the 5D2, use the Canon 40mm pancake, or a Summicron-R 35 with an adapter. The M8 is a wonderful camera, but with plenty of issues, and IMHO the Canon's IQ is superior.
My flickr

Old 02-20-2014   #29
bideford

If you can, get the M8 and keep the 5D2. You will more than likely use the M8 for everything apart from where autofocus, zoom or a longer reach is required.

The M8 is a superb rangefinder - as a quick search through the forums here will attest to.

James

Old 02-20-2014   #30
jsrockit

Maybe sell the MKII and get the original 5d and the M8!

Old 02-20-2014   #31
NicoM

Definitely not! I don't think the M8 is worth it for the price that they're still going for.

Old 02-20-2014   #32
semordnilap

Ive had an M8 since 2007, purchased as a demo. I've shot over 80k frames, have taken it to 4 continents and never had a problem. I got the shutter upgraded in the hopes that it would be quieter but, yeah, not so much...

Aside from the RD-1 it's the least expensive digital rangefinder, and there's a lot to be said for that.

Maybe go into a shop with your summicron and an SD card, try it out and look at the files at home, see if they're ok for you. They won't be perfect without the IR-cut filter, but once those are on your lens you basically forget about them, or at least I do, as I don't shoot film leicas anymore.

flickr

Old 02-20-2014   #33
semordnilap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Maybe sell the MKII and get the original 5d and the M8!
Or get a used crop canon body for your portraits...

flickr

Old 02-20-2014   #34
Montygraphics

I have both and use my 5d mk2's for prof shoots and the M8 for fun.

iQ on the M8 is great but can't match the 5d2. I have no issues with my M8 and I believe the vast majority of them are reliable.

Old 02-20-2014   #35
cosmonaut

No I would live in fear it would die and leave me without.

Old 02-20-2014   #36
jammcat
Lick My Lens Cap

Absolutely not.

The M8 is more trouble than it's worth, and the 5DII is a better camera in almost every way.

Toronto-based documentary/music photographer.

http://lickmylenscap.com
https://www.instagram.com/lickmylenscap/
https://lickmylenscap.tumblr.com

Old 02-20-2014   #37
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Will look into the Ricohs.

I've seen a 1350€ M8 at Photo Professional of example.
I wouldn’t buy a Holga from Photo Professional…

jaapvphotography

Old 02-20-2014   #38
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

The M8 is a wonderful camera, admittedly a bit quirky and in reality, after all the Internet hype has been stripped, quite reliable with an image quality that far outperforms the 5D2.
The main advantages of the Canon are an ff sensor and easy (mind, I do not say better) high-ISO performance.
It is still fully serviceable except for one series where the rear LCD is no longer available.
I would not hesitate, but remember with Leica you are buying into a system where the body price is only marginal, high as it is. The real cost is in the lenses.
If you think about it, it is really rather shocking that my everyday Billingham contains the equivalent of a midrange VW Golf, regardless of the body I feel liked using.

jaapvphotography

Old 02-20-2014   #39
Frank Petronio
-

I'd sell an M8 for a 5D2. Using a smaller prime changes the handling/size issues....

Old 02-20-2014   #40
michaelwj
----------------

My answer would be: In a heartbeat.
But then I like rangefinders and really don't get along with SLRs.

Michael

Quote: