Are used leica lens prices going down ?
Old 01-31-2014   #1
Drago

Are used leica lens prices going down ?

Just an observation Looking at the most of the leica dealers in US and EU it seems like their stock is permanently on their shelves. I mean, people seem to be not that crazy anymore paying thousands for 30-40 years old summicron. Sure, i don't doubt their quality and the prices they command, but the prices got extremely way out of reach for used gear. 500 euro for 60 years old elmar 50 2.8 - come on ... And quite the opposite - here in the classifieds the users are listing their items at reasonable prices and most of them get sold

Old 01-31-2014   #2
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Yes I think so....
I recently noticed that the Love of 'leica' is sloooowing down

Simeone recently had a Beautiful 28 summicron asph
And had a difficult time selling it at $1575.00
which would be a price cut if bought new

Old 01-31-2014   #3
Michael Markey

Yes ...I would agree.
I don`t know if they are decreasing in price but they aren`t increasing like they were.

Too many other alternatives perhaps.

Old 01-31-2014   #4
goamules

I've seen it too, along with premium Canon lenses. 2-3 years ago, a Canon 1.2 or 1.4 went for half again, or sometimes double, what they are bringing now. I don't price Leica that much, but the local granny's still selling the stuff are stuck in the peak price mindset. Sorry, but I'm not paying you $2200 for an M3 with 50mm Summicron. Funny, but a reverse "but they only sell for $900 on ebay!" doesn't work. But everyone quotes ebay prices when they're high.

Same with our local camera club, everyone in their mid 60s or higher. The prices they ask are crazy high. And nothing ever sells. That's why I went Canon years ago.

Old 01-31-2014   #5
Bingley

I've noticed some vintage Leica lenses going for what, to me, seem very reasonable prices. Not good for GAS...

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 01-31-2014   #6
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Well, the prices for recent Leica lenses (which I consider anything in the past 30 years) are pretty stunning by any reasonable measure. The Leica lenses I own are older than that, and quite good anyway. And I don't see them "wearing out." So why should I shell out so much for the latest?

Old 01-31-2014   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

Prices for lenses are getting closer than they used to be. The new SONY cameras will get their own optimized lenses, so owners of such cameras may be less inclined to buy Leica (wide angle) lenses. Modern lenses at the $1000 level are amazingly good lenses, and selling a good Leica lens may get you 2-4 such lenses.

Users are younger than they used to be. Vintage users are older!

Still, I find that Leica lenses are not dropping like, say, digital cameras.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-31-2014   #8
yossarian123
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Yes I think so....

Really? I missed this!! I would have totally bought it in a heartbeat

Old 01-31-2014   #9
boomguy57

Yes I think they are going down. But this also happens every year; in the winter prices generally fall, and pick up again when everyone wants to get out and shoot in warmer weather.

But it could also be that people are simple realizing that M glass isn't worth that much $$$.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Old 01-31-2014   #10
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomguy57 View Post
But it could also be that people are simple realizing that M glass isn't worth that much $$$.
Burn the heretic!!!

Old 01-31-2014   #11
Drago

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomguy57 View Post

I think people have always realized that. And Zeiss and Voigtlander made that obvious too. Maybe the dealers will realize that too. And about ebay - the leica listings are just funny. Hardly any lens that deserves its price

Old 01-31-2014   #12
jschrader

Yes, prices went down.
I noted all 50 cron on german ebay during the last year.
Version 5 (the latest) went down from 1150 to 950 in one year.

However, the correlation coefficient is low (R2 = 0.06), i.e. the decline is low, relative to the variability of the price.

Old 01-31-2014   #13
jja

I'm not sure if prices are down overall or if they are down on RFF due to more active selling. I was recently trying to sell an 90/2.8 Elmarit-M, and I priced it on the low side compared to a fairly wide ebay spread, but it did not sell.

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-31-2014   #14
ian_watts
Ian Watts

Yes, the market is very soft now. You can see it with current lenses, not just the older stuff. As recently as early 2012, a mint 35 FLE Summilux was worth 4000. Now you would struggle to get 2500 if you wanted a quick sale. Here in the UK it is possible to buy any Leica M lens, other than the 50 APO (the production of which has apparently been suspended), from stock. No waiting lists and a number of dealers offering discounts from RRP.

Old 01-31-2014   #15
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
The new SONY cameras will get their own optimized lenses, so owners of such cameras may be less inclined to buy Leica (wide angle) lenses. Modern lenses at the $1000 level are amazingly good lenses, and selling a good Leica lens may get you 2-4 such lenses.

I think that is the other factor Raid.
Sensor optimised lenses are so good there seems little reason to continue to pay a hefty divided ...for what .
I was listening to David Allen Harvey talk about his new book where he used both Leica and an I phone .
He says that he can`t tell the difference ... I suspect he might not be alone in that view.

Old 01-31-2014   #16
Steve M.

The prices seem to go up, and down, based on no reason I can find. There are periods when it cost $1000 for a good, clean 50 DR (I sold one several years ago for that amount 1 hr after listing it), and there are times when $500 gets you one. When the high times roll around they're all high, and when they're low the same thing is true, they're all low. It makes no sense to me. The interesting thing is that they haven't made any of these old classic Leica lenses for decades, it's just the same ones being sold and resold.

Old 01-31-2014   #17
jsrockit

2 years ago prices were silly... i.e people paying double the new price for a 50mm Summilux. Now the prices are just coming back down to normal levels.

Old 01-31-2014   #18
Clark.EE

Buyers market.
Unless of course you see something you really want (not need).
Then it goes for well over the odds.
"Sods Law" as we call it!

Old 01-31-2014   #19
David Hughes
David Hughes

And, at this time of year - just after Christmas - the bills have come in and been paid so no one's desperate to buy and one or two are desperate to sell; So prices drop...

EDIT: No sooner had I typed that than I remembered this; item No. 281255736371 on ebay. I guess things are looking up!

Regards, David

Old 01-31-2014   #20
thompsonks

I've certainly noticed this for Leica lenses – I offered a 35 FLE, like new, for $500 off the retail price and fat chance – no inquiries.

Nikon RF equipment is w a y cheaper too.

Old 01-31-2014   #21
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

I'm still waiting to find a 35 cron IV with lens hood for $1,500....

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 01-31-2014   #22
jippiejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
I'm still waiting to find a 35 cron IV with lens hood for $1,500....
Close enough?

Or keep an eye on his listings... great reliable guy down my street, sends all over the world.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 01-31-2014   #23
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Best time to buy Leica glass is during the next economic crisis. Already Europe is pretty close to entering a deflationary spiral like Japan. Emerging markets have to unwind their carry trade. Counties like Turkey and Argentina are raising interest rates drastically to try and stem a currency crisis. In one month in Turkey their currency devalued 20% and in one day interest rates doubled.

Meanwhile the FED continues to "Taper" and Europe gets really close to entering a deflationary spiral.

About 7 years ago is when I started buying Leica glass at the height of the credit crisis; I did not own any M-body at that time and I was just a Nikon SLR shooter. I bought a German 75 Lux that was once someone's treasure for only $1850.00 and a clean/perfect 35 Cron V.4 for $1250.00. These lenses were in prime condition.

Keep your powder dry because bad unsustainable monitary policy will surely lead to another economic event and other opportunities. Basically World economic policy is "Beggar Thy Neighbor."

Cal

Old 01-31-2014   #24
Timmyjoe

I also noticed that the new Leica lenses aren't selling as fast either. A couple years ago, of the 25 Leica lenses B&H Photo sells, only one or two were in stock at any given time. Now 23 out of the 25 are in stock. And it's been that way for quite some time.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 01-31-2014   #25
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
I also noticed that the new Leica lenses aren't selling as fast either. A couple years ago, of the 25 Leica lenses B&H Photo sells, only one or two were in stock at any given time. Now 23 out of the 25 are in stock. And it's been that way for quite some time.
Deflation=oversupply.

Cal

Old 01-31-2014   #26
TennesseJones

Really? I'd have loved that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Yes I think so....

Old 01-31-2014   #27
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
The prices seem to go up, and down, based on no reason I can find. There are periods when it cost $1000 for a good, clean 50 DR (I sold one several years ago for that amount 1 hr after listing it), and there are times when $500 gets you one. When the high times roll around they're all high, and when they're low the same thing is true, they're all low. It makes no sense to me. The interesting thing is that they haven't made any of these old classic Leica lenses for decades, it's just the same ones being sold and resold.
Dear Steve,

Exactly. Second-guessing Leica prices is about as meaningful as any other form of economics.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-31-2014   #28
dblrifle

I' m probably the majority of one who does not have the ability to perceive the mystical superiority of Leitz lenses. People say they have this property but I am not able to see it and never have. I have used pro grade equipment for very many years along with their attendant lenses and have found I can rarely tell when an image is produced by what lense except for the fact it was wide or long. If it is a good lense it is a good lense -period. People show a picture and say can you see this superior area in this picture and I can look as hard as I can and cannot see it. It must be there because others SAY they can see it but you couldn't prove it by me. I'm just lucky I guess as I am easy to please.

Old 01-31-2014   #29
NicoM

They're dropping because the demand isn't as high as it used to be. Leica has caught up to demand with their new lenses, and those that were looking for lenses before probably own lenses now. Though the market of people wanting Leica is increasing, we sometimes forget how small it really is.

I, for example, have been trying to sell a competitively priced kit for weeks now - no takers.

Old 01-31-2014   #30
Dirk
Privatier

People just don't have the money anymore for stuff like that. "It's the economy, stupid!"

Old 01-31-2014   #31
nemo2

The prices of the lenses and cameras are connected: if the bodies are expensive and with limited availability (digital Leica), the lenses will depreciate (why should I use lens without camera?). When the (film) bodies were abundant (and more wanted), the lenses were more wanted.

Old 01-31-2014   #32
urban_alchemist

I've noticed that they've been stagnating too...

I think it has a lot to do with the wider market. Back two years ago, the Leica M9 was the only full-frame mirrorless digital you could buy. There was also a flood of adaptors for other formats (Ricoh GXR-M Mount, 4/3 etc) which ramped up the demand suddenly after years of being a niche, not particularly current, prediliction. Nowadays, with the Sony alpha and the shrinking of the full-frame SLR, I'm not sure the Leica M is as hot as it once was.

Not that I'd use anything else, but I'm not normal