Here: List of recommended E6 labs
Old 10-16-2013   #1
HHPhoto

Here: List of recommended E6 labs

Hi,

here on rff regularly the question arise where to develop E6 film.
Mostly this question comes from US Americans or Canadians.

Therefore I think it is a good idea to make a list of recommended E6 labs which are doing mail order business.

And maybe our host Stephen Gandy can stick this thread / list above in this subforum.

So just like buying your films on mail order, just get your films developed the same, easy way.
Mail order: In most cases it is even cheaper than using the local lab. Because if you use the local lab you have costs for fuel (car), parking fees, bus tickets and so on, and going to your local lab always costs time.
Costs for mail ordering are often much less.

I have two local E6 labs here in my town.
Nevertheless I am using mostly Photostudio 13 which is some hundred kilometers away from me.
Using mail order is cheaper for me than going to my local labs here (and besides that the quality of PS 13 with dip and dunk processing, cascade fix and cascade watering is outstanding).

As I am living in the film shooters paradise, Germany (which has one of the best film infrastructures worldwide), it is very easy and cheap to get my E6 films processed. Dozens of professional labs are doing it here, and all drugstore chains are offering it.
Therefore with more than 3500 drugstore chain shops here in Germany we have more than 3500 places where we can give our films for development.
So, if you visit Germany and you want to have your E6 films developed for extremely low costs, you cant get this service everywhere. Just go to a Rossamm, dm or Müller drugstore chain shop.

I am mostly using one of the best German professional labs:
www.photostudio13.de
They are also doing international business worldwide, and they are doing BW reversal development!
They are using Refrema dip and dunk processors. And with E6 they use cascade (2-bath) fixing and cascade (4 bath) watering for best long term stability.

They offer BW reversal processing of the following films:
Agfa Scala 200X
Agfa Copex Rapid
Adox CMS 20 II
Adoc CHS 100 II
Fuji Neopan Acros
Fomapan R
Ilford Delta 100 (120 and sheet films)
Rollei Retro 80S
Rollei Superpan 200
Rollei Retro 400S
Rollei Infrared.

Even in the US with its weak lab infrastructure you have several excellent options.
My US friends recommend the following E6 mail order labs:

http://www.theslideprinter.com

http://www.agximaging.com/

http://thedarkroom.com/

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

http://www.northcoastphoto.com/

4photolab.com

http://vistaimaginggroup.com/

http://oldschoolphotolab.com/

http://bluemooncamera.com/services.php

www.dr5.com

Other very good E6 labs in North America? Tell us!

And you rff members from the UK, France, Spain, Italy, Scandinavia, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and all the other countries:
Join in and tell us the E6 labs you can recommend!

Thanks!

Cheers, Jan

P.S.: And don't forget there is also always the alternative to develop your E6 films at home with the Tetenal and Fuji Hunt development kits.

Old 10-16-2013   #2
kiss-o-matic

I guess I am spoiled, and need to face reality for when I finally leave Japan in a year or so. If you live in a large US city, is it that hard to have E6 processed? I have 3 places I can drop film off at all in the same neighborhood... 1 can do cross processing in about 3 days. Another can do about any color negative in 1 hour.

Old 10-16-2013   #3
Photo_Smith

I can thoroughly recommend Peak Imaging in the UK. They have post paid mailers and return in what seems to be 24h.
http://www.peak-imaging.com/htmls/film_processing.htm

Excellent quality.

Old 10-17-2013   #4
mob81

I tried 2 places so far for mail order development of e-6 and reversal B&W films.

Photo studio 13 in Germany (as mentioned by Jan on the first post). They are good and the film is clean and they ship fast too. One problem is that they don't accept credit card (only bank transfer and cash with the films).

Arka lab in Paris. Also good with good turn around times, they ship express which is good. They are more expensive than photo studio 13 but not by much.

I usually develop my e-6 at home but B&W reversal is really great and photo studio 13 has a lot of option that can be developed this way.

My Flickr

My Blog

Old 10-17-2013   #5
VTHokiEE

I haven't personally used them for E-6, but Precision Camera (http://www.precision-camera.com/) in the US also does E6 and I've heard good things about them. They have a link for a scanning special for RFF members somewhere around here...

Old 10-17-2013   #6
GarageBoy

LTI-Lightside

Old 10-19-2013   #7
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo_Smith View Post
I can thoroughly recommend Peak Imaging in the UK. They have post paid mailers and return in what seems to be 24h.
http://www.peak-imaging.com/htmls/film_processing.htm

Excellent quality.
Thanks, Mark.
I have very often heard positive comments about the excellent work of Peak Imaging from British photographers.

Cheers, Jan

Old 10-19-2013   #8
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob81 View Post
I tried 2 places so far for mail order development of e-6 and reversal B&W films.

Photo studio 13 in Germany (as mentioned by Jan on the first post). They are good and the film is clean and they ship fast too. One problem is that they don't accept credit card (only bank transfer and cash with the films).

Arka lab in Paris. Also good with good turn around times, they ship express which is good. They are more expensive than photo studio 13 but not by much.

I usually develop my e-6 at home but B&W reversal is really great and photo studio 13 has a lot of option that can be developed this way.
Thanks, Mohammed.
Your passion about photography is always inspiring:
Despite living in an area with a more problematic photo infrastructure you just go out and do what you love.

So here is the evidence:
Even if you live a bit more away from the "photo centres" you can satiesfy your needs.
Just send the reversal films for development to the leading labs, which are doing international business,
or order your chemicals for home development at online distributors who ship worldwide, like www.macodirect.de for example.

Cheers, Jan

Old 10-19-2013   #9
Noll

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiEE View Post
I haven't personally used them for E-6, but Precision Camera (http://www.precision-camera.com/) in the US also does E6 and I've heard good things about them. They have a link for a scanning special for RFF members somewhere around here...

I thought they discontinued slide film developing and instead mailed E6 out to a 3rd party.

Has anyone used them lately for 35mm/120 developing ?

Old 10-19-2013   #10
35mmdelux
#Represent

Groovy! Thanks for the info --

Old 10-20-2013   #11
Skiff

Excellent idea to make such a list!

I can agree with the recommendation of Peak Imaging. Used them during my time in London, and has been very satiesfied.
Back on the continent I am using Photostudio 13 again: Top quality, very fast and very reasonable prices.
I've compared their development quality to my home development quality with Fuji Hunt 6-bath kit.
Result: I can not do it better at home.
And they are so fast (they develop several hundred E6 rolls each day, and send you your films back the same day they've got them) that I am mostly using them instead of developing it by myself.
And they are also doing BW reversal development.
BW slides are so lovely and a league of its own.

Old 10-20-2013   #12
mob81

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
Thanks, Mohammed.
Your passion about photography is always inspiring:
Despite living in an area with a more problematic photo infrastructure you just go out and do what you love.

So here is the evidence:
Even if you live a bit more away from the "photo centres" you can satiesfy your needs.
Just send the reversal films for development to the leading labs, which are doing international business,
or order your chemicals for home development at online distributors who ship worldwide, like www.macodirect.de for example.

Cheers, Jan
Dear Jan,
Thank you for the kind words. I use Macodirect for my films as it's cheaper for me to buy from them than other US distributers (once the price is without VAT and Saudi doesn't charge taxes for personal use ) I stacked my Provia 400X from them (Thaks for suggestion to use this great film)

Provia 400X Stack-2 by Mohammed Basamh, on Flickr

and your help regarding picking a lab to develop my B&W Reversal is appreciated and this is very helpful thread.

My Flickr

My Blog

Old 10-20-2013   #13
Skiff

Quote:
Dear Jan,
Thank you for the kind words. I use Macodirect for my films as it's cheaper for me to buy from them than other US distributers (once the price is without VAT and Saudi doesn't charge taxes for personal use ) I stacked my Provia 400X from them (Thaks for suggestion to use this great film)

and your help regarding picking a lab to develop my B&W Reversal is appreciated and this is very helpful thread.
Yeah, Provia 400X, what a wonderful film!! One of the best colour films ever made!
I've also bought lot's of it and filled my freeze.

Nice to hear that reversal film use is possible in Saudi Arabia thanks to the great European film distributors and film labs.

Old 10-20-2013   #14
Frank Petronio
-

http://4photolab.com is Edgar Praus's lab in Rochester, New York. He does mail order processing and printing for photographers around the world. We've been friends for years and he does a full range of professional quality work, C41, B&W, and custom processes, RA4 and B&W RC/Fiber printing. He also tests/consults for Kodak.

Old 10-20-2013   #15
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

In western Canada (where I live) almost all the commercial E-6 labs are gone.

Just a couple blocks up the hill from me is a massive yellow-painted hulk of a building that used to be Kodak's regional headquarters. I used to take many of my films there back in the 1980's and 1990's. Now part of it is a dodgy-looking grocery store, but the majority of it sits empty.

Driving by this decaying, sad-looking building is a constant reminder of Kodak's decline. But they still have a faded photo of Michael Landon in the window, from when he was the spokesman for Kodak's quality assurance. It's almost like he's saying "Come here, half-pint! Let me process that Ektachrome for you!"

Back on topic (for Canadians): "Don's Photo", which is a chain in Alberta / Saskatchewan / Manitoba will process E-6, but the turn-around is about 10 days. They send it to their E-6 lab in Winnipeg, I think.

I finally got tired of the hassle and waiting, and just ordered the Tetenal E-6 kit from Germany. Easy to use, excellent results. I do my own E-6 at home.

Old 10-20-2013   #16
Laviolette

For eastern Canada there's Borealis Photo in Montréal. In fact, it is the only place in Québec that still do E6 processing. The service is excellent and the turnaround has always been fast (1-2 days).

Old 10-20-2013   #17
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Jan, good info as usual.

If one of the moderators would please make this a sticky.
That would be wonderful!

Old 10-20-2013   #18
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Jan, good info as usual.

If one of the moderators would please make this a sticky.
That would be wonderful!
+1 !!
I completely agree.

Old 10-20-2013   #19
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
I guess I am spoiled, and need to face reality for when I finally leave Japan in a year or so. If you live in a large US city, is it that hard to have E6 processed? I have 3 places I can drop film off at all in the same neighborhood... 1 can do cross processing in about 3 days. Another can do about any color negative in 1 hour.
Yes, it is. There is not a single pro lab left in the entire state of Indiana, not even in Indianapolis, which is the 12th largest city in the United States. The city I live in, a city of 250,000 people, used to have three pro labs doing same day E-6 processing. The last one closed 7 years ago.

Old 10-20-2013   #20
ronnies

Another UK one for those of us north of the border is A&M Imaging in Edinburgh. They're local for me but may do mail order too. They do E6, C41 and black and white.

Ronnie

Old 10-20-2013   #21
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Yes, it is. There is not a single pro lab left in the entire state of Indiana, not even in Indianapolis, which is the 12th largest city in the United States. The city I live in, a city of 250,000 people, used to have three pro labs doing same day E-6 processing. The last one closed 7 years ago.
Dear US-American friends, please stop crying. Get over it.

You only have three important mail order film distributors: B&H, Adorama, Freestyle.
Nevertheless you don't complain about that fact.

But you have more than 10 excellent E6 labs doing mail order business nationwide.
Just choose one of them and be happy.
Or use the Tetenal or Fuji Hunt E6 kits for home development.
You have enough options to get your reversal films developed in excellent quality.
Just use it and keep the wonderful colour reversal films alive.
Do your part to maintain this very important part of the photographic culture.
Thanks.

Old 10-20-2013   #22
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
Dear US-American friends, please stop crying. Get over it.

You only have three important mail order film distributors: B&H, Adorama, Freestyle.
Nevertheless you don't complain about that fact.

But you have more than 10 excellent E6 labs doing mail order business nationwide.
Just choose one of them and be happy.
Or use the Tetenal or Fuji Hunt E6 kits for home development.
You have enough options to get your reversal films developed in excellent quality.
Just use it and keep the wonderful colour reversal films alive.
Do your part to maintain this very important part of the photographic culture.
Thanks.
You are neither my mother nor my boss. Don't like what we're talking about here? You know where the door is.

For those of us who do photography professionally, sending off film for processing is an unacceptable risk. The post office and the package carriers like FedEx will not insure film they lose or damage in transit, even if it represents thousands of dollars in travel expenses to redo the photos, plus angry clients. So, no, we won't 'get over it'. What most of us have done is gone digital for our color work, because when there is money and reputation on the line, you do what it takes to be sure the images don't get lost because of someone else's carelessness.

Old 10-20-2013   #23
Skiff

Dear Christopher,

I am a professional photographer. I need colour reversal film for my work. My subjects cannot be done digitally, and not with CN film.

I am using mail order film processing for my professional work for about 30 years now. Never lost a package on the way to the lab. Never.

Our whole economy is dependant on transport and mail ordering. If we all would have the fear that maybe one of a thousand of the packages may get damaged or lost, and because of that fear we all would avoid transport and mail order, our whole economy would collapse immediately.

Maybe sometime in the future I will have bad luck and one package my get damaged.
Then it will be only one against thousands which have been fine.
I can easily live with that: 99,999999% fine results against 0,00000001 bad results.

Old 10-21-2013   #24
mooge

Here in Ottawa we've got a lab downtown-- GPC Labworks-- that does E6 and also C-41 and B&W developing and printing. Really cool that I can drop off some slides and get them back like three days later.

Last time I checked (like two years ago?) Blacks (nation-wide photo chain) also could send E6 away for developing (I think their lab is in Toronto?) but for some strange reason they don't do any sort of 120. turn-around is about two weeks.

It's a little amazing to me that we've got a local lab; I was in Singapore a while ago and their last lab E-6 lab just packed up. And they've got about 5x our population.

Old 10-21-2013   #25
Texsport

I highly recommend Aker Imaging in Houston, Texas.

www.akerimaging.com

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 10-21-2013   #26
mob81

Other option is to use tetenal, it yields good result. I only send the reversal B&W but I do my E-6 at home, it's easy once one can control the temperature of the chemicals.

My Flickr

My Blog

Old 10-21-2013   #27
charjohncarter

I have used Walmart in Pleasanton, CA, they send to Oregon. I've been worried, because someone here said they scanned and didn't return the positives or negatives.

Old 10-23-2013   #28
schlops

For everyone in Austria especially Vienna. Fayer at the opera is the only lab in Vienna left developing E6 !

Old 10-24-2013   #29
HHPhoto

Thanks to all who so far have added their recommendations!
Keep it going!

A friend of mine currently living in Singapore recommends a new E6 lab run by very passionate photographers in Singapore.
They have even just invested in a new dip-and-dunk E6 processing machine:

https://www.facebook.com/analogfilmlab

Cheers, Jan

Old 11-05-2013   #30
schlops

Quote:
Dear Jan,

wow I would love to have that many of the Provia. Such a good film

Old 11-05-2013   #31
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlops View Post
If you love to have such an amount of Provia 400X then just buy it!
It is still available, fresh stock, and even at the former, much lower prices. Just order here for example:

http://www.macodirect.de/farbdiafilm...6b3307cca954d8

Provia 400X is one of the best colour films ever made.
And it is the ISO 400 colour film with the finest grain and best sharpness on the market.
Therefore I've filled my freezer with this wonderful film. I can keep shooting it for the next 10 years.

Cheers, Jan

Old 11-05-2013   #32
mob81

Quote:
It's wonderful film. I didn't use it before except once or twice and didn't care for it much. Then Jan (HHPhoto) recommended for me and I tried it again more carefully and was hooked. I bought enough quantity to last as long as I can. in Saudi it's sunny most of the year if not all year round, so 100 iso slide with fast lens is still manageable but provia 400x has beautiful skin tone that got me and extra 2 stops. I actually pushed it to 1600 and 800 and it handles it great.

My Flickr

My Blog

Old 05-11-2014   #33
Skiff

Another addition to the list of excellent recommended labs:

E6 developing in Singapore:
https://www.facebook.com/analogfilmlab

They are doing also mail order business.
I've used them on my recent Asia trip.
Top-notch quality, highly recommended.

Old 05-13-2014   #34
Noll

For E6 I can recommend Barry Burne at

Burne Photo Imaging Inc.
4289 W Beltline Hwy
Madison, WI 53711
(608) 277-0802

http://www.burne.com/film.html

They have always done a great job developing my E-6 and C-41 film, though I have not used their print or scanning services. From what I can tell the costs of having that done by them would be prohibitive... But they provide great developing services.

EDIT - they have shut down their E-6 line as of August 2014.

Last edited by Noll : 08-05-2014 at 20:00. Reason: update

Old 05-13-2014   #35
kanzlr
Hexaneur

Quote:
For everyone in Austria especially Vienna. Fayer at the opera is the only lab in Vienna left developing E6 !
but a good one, nonetheless

Old 05-13-2014   #36
taemo

when I was in LA for a couple of days, I dropped my Velvia 50 and Provia 100 at The Icon, that way I didn't have to wait for long when I was back in Canada
http://www.iconla.com
Only used them for developing but was happy with the service.

In Calgary, I just drop off my slides to London Drugs, they still develop 35mm E-6 locally but 120 they ship it to Custom Color in Vancouver, BC
http://www.customcolorprolab.com/

Old 07-19-2014   #37
HHPhoto

Some very good news:
Another international professional lab is adding E6 development to their service:

http://carmencitafilmlab.com/

Cheers, Jan

Old 07-19-2014   #38
Takkun
Ian M.

Here in Seattle, I take all my work to Panda Lab on Warren in the shadow of the space needle ( pandalab.com ). I've got word that they're the only operable custom film lab in the city (most Bartells chains do color in-house) until Moon Photo in Greenwood gets new equipment up and running.
I also used to work at Robis Camera (Robis.com) down about 50 miles south. When I was living in Boston, they did a few mail-order jobs for me.
Speaking of Boston, also while I was living there, Hunts Photo did good work but they sent it out to Melrose, and Colortek downtown does E6 in house.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 07-19-2014   #39
Brian Puccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
http://4photolab.com is Edgar Praus's lab in Rochester, New York. He does mail order processing and printing for photographers around the world. We've been friends for years and he does a full range of professional quality work, C41, B&W, and custom processes, RA4 and B&W RC/Fiber printing. He also tests/consults for Kodak.
I've been super happy since I found Praus Productions/4 Photo Lab/Edgar Praus.

Old 07-19-2014   #40
djhurley92

I would recommend Genie Imaging in the UK for developing (although their included scanning option is less good if the idea is to exceed the quality of digital). Process only comes out at £3.35 for a single roll of E6, plus £1.86 p&p. By comparison Peak Imaging is £4.90 per roll scanned plus £1.75 p&p. Genie generally takes a couple of days.

Genie is also located right next to Wandsworth train station if you happen to live in that part of London...