Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Main (predominant) use of your rangefinder camera:
Family pics and everyday camera 407 58.31%
Professional work 77 11.03%
Landscape 247 35.39%
Street 432 61.89%
Don't use rangfinders at all 18 2.58%
Sports 15 2.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 698. You may not vote on this poll

How do you use your rangefinder?
Old 10-20-2012   #1
zvos1

How do you use your rangefinder?

I like rangefinder cameras and have been using them last 5 years but I am not much of a "street guy" where rangefinders are traditionally used.
I'd like to find out how my fellow RFF members use their rangefinder cameras...

EDIT: Here's the poll, more than one choice available...

M4 and some digital stuff

Old 10-20-2012   #2
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

i buy an expensive lens and then turn the 1.0 1.2 1.4 5.6 8 knob all the way to 16 and then just random click to people's faces. This way i don't have to focus

i have a new book coming out in amazon called shooting while jogging , where i basically clack clack to peoples faces while exercising

Old 10-20-2012   #3
magicianhisoka

Zone focused like a point and shoot for streets.

instagram: @2ndhandphotog

Old 10-20-2012   #4
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizg7 View Post
i buy an expensive lens and then turn the 1.0 1.2 1.4 5.6 8 knob all the way to 16 and then just random click to people's faces. This way i don't have to focus

i have a new book coming out in amazon called shooting while jogging , where i basically clack clack to peoples faces while exercising

^^^^^^

Hey, Bruce Gilden is a member of RFF!!

Old 10-20-2012   #5
farlymac
PF McFarland

I use mine anyway I feel like. Serious shooting, or just messing around.

PF

Old 10-20-2012   #6
finguanzo

Quote:

Im guessing your not being sarcastic.....

If Im using my 28mm walking to and back from work, yes, I do zone focus and shoot..
If Im somewhere else with more time, I spend time composing, focusing, etc. etc..
All depends what Im shooting, and my mood I guess.

Old 10-20-2012   #7
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
^^^^^^

Hey, Bruce Gilden is a member of RFF!!
haahah no , he's been a big inspiration on me though.

Old 10-20-2012   #8
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

Quote:
Originally Posted by finguanzo View Post
Im guessing your not being sarcastic.....

If Im using my 28mm walking to and back from work, yes, I do zone focus and shoot..
If Im somewhere else with more time, I spend time composing, focusing, etc. etc..
All depends what Im shooting, and my mood I guess.
spot on , the right answer to this over generalized thread is "it depends"

Old 10-20-2012   #9
grapejohnson

I like candid photography in general. I like street photography but living in the suburbs makes it hard - I generally just like to take pictures of friends or people I see who are interesting. Or dogs.

Old 10-20-2012   #10
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

How? I hold the lens with the left hand from under it (the lens), hold the camera with the right hand. This may seem like a tongue-in-cheek answer to many, but there are some who don't realize that holding it this way steadies your shot.

Where? It doesn't matter where, as long as it's not in the shower or heavy rain. Nor underwater.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 10-20-2012   #11
alistair.o

Sheesh. What a question! and you an Aus'!! Too much time on your hands mate.

There are endless possibilities out there (even if you only photograph kangaroos hopping - but with a RF it will be just the tip of the tail in the frame by the time you press the shutter )

Just get out and do it.

Old 10-20-2012   #12
bugmenot

Rangefinders have no specific usage location or field of photography. However, there are some types of photography they excel in, while not so much in others.

For example, you won't see many photographers using a rangefinder for Moon or Astrophotography (or any Telephotography in general). You also won't see too many people with a rangefinder in a sports game or similar events. Not that RFs can't do such things, but they are just not very good at it and will demand a very skilled photographer to do such types of photography well. Then again, there was a couple of people with large format rangefinders on the sidelines during Olympic Games in London. Rangefinders are also not very suited for macro work ...

I am sure you are quite aware of areas it CAN excel in, like street photography and anything where patience is a virtue, and there are no critical scenes that only appear for a fraction of a second and are gone afterwards. Any type of still or semi-moving objects that allow enough time to meter, focus and compose. That's where a rangefinder does well.

Old 10-20-2012   #13
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I'll use mine when I have plenty of time to actually take a picture...I'm very slow when it comes to using my Rangefinders...
I mostly use them with B&W film and when the subject doesn't move that much or not at all...last time was at a family birthday party...
pf

Old 10-20-2012   #14
kxl
Social Documentary

I use my RF for sports, macros and wildlife.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 10-20-2012   #15
George Bonanno
-

I'll be on a Greyhound from Port Authority to Altoona on Halloween to take pictures with my Zorki. That way I'll have a record of an Altoona experience without the memory of being there.

From what I understand Altoona is the place to be on Halloween. Destination... Sunny Crest Lane and beyond.

That's the way I'll be using my Rangefinder with FED lens.

Old 10-20-2012   #16
crispy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair.o View Post
Sheesh. What a question! and you an Aus'!! Too much time on your hands mate.

*snip*

Just get out and do it.
Haha, my thoughts exactly! However you like!

Old 10-20-2012   #17
Dylan Hope

Like a scale focus camera.

Money well spent

No, but to answer your question, I use my rangefinder for anything that isn't too specialized or where turnover time means every second counts. It's my every day carry

Old 10-21-2012   #18
Joosep

My rangefinder has two outputs.
Taking photos and keeping me cozy in bed.

Old 10-21-2012   #19
grapejohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bonanno View Post
I'll be on a Greyhound from Port Authority to Altoona on Halloween to take pictures with my Zorki. That way I'll have a record of an Altoona experience without the memory of being there.

From what I understand Altoona is the place to be on Halloween. Destination... Sunny Crest Lane and beyond.

That's the way I'll be using my Rangefinder with FED lens.
Interesting, I lived in Manhattan for 4 years, and went through the Port Authority station almost every day.
People from elsewhere are generally intrigued by Altoona, but most who live here feel trapped.

Old 10-21-2012   #20
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejohnson View Post
Interesting, I lived in Manhattan for 4 years, and went through the Port Authority station almost every day.
People from elsewhere are generally intrigued by Altoona, but most who live here feel trapped.
how would you live in manhattan and somehow go to port authority everyday , do you work there

Old 10-21-2012   #21
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosep View Post
My rangefinder has two outputs.
Taking photos and keeping me cozy in bed.
i liek your babies , you have a load of them

Old 10-21-2012   #22
taskoni

How do I use my rangefinders?
Well, with pleasure...

Regards,

Boris

Old 10-21-2012   #23
pakeha

Quote:
spot on , the right answer to this over generalized thread is "it depends"
New York atta-tude,,,yawn. so overdone its boring

Old 10-21-2012   #24
Joosep

Quote:
i liek your babies , you have a load of them
Thanks!

I like to plant my seed.

Old 10-21-2012   #25
Roger Hicks

Hell, I just take pictures with it. I covered photokina with it; I'm working in a series called Second-hand Religion; I illustrate travel pieces with it...

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-21-2012   #26
grapejohnson

Quote:
how would you live in manhattan and somehow go to port authority everyday , do you work there
Transferred from the Q to the D to get to work. Took the 2 home a lot at night when I lived in Harlem. Port Authority on 42nd St. that is, maybe you meant one in Jersey.

Old 10-21-2012   #27
Gary E

I use mine in all aspects and types of photography with the exception of macro. My most favorite way to use RF's is vacation because of the lighter kit I can carry compared to a loaded bag of lenses and an SLR. I once carried my F4s, zoom lens, M4-2 and 40mm/90mm on vacation. I've learned my lesson and will never do that ever again...
Sony FE used to call me but now Fuji GFX is ringing in my ears

For Pete's sake, they're all good. Just get out there and shoot with what you've got!

Old 10-21-2012   #28
Livesteamer

Mostly photos of friends and family. Often in low, available light with a wide angle lens. I got my first M6 in 1990 because I was having trouble focusing my Nikon F in low light and now I use Leicas for most of what I do. My daytime camera currently is a IIIc in my pocket. M6 when I need more capability. Joe

Old 10-21-2012   #29
zvos1

Thanks for all the replies folks, however I meant to add a poll but somehow submitted a thread without one. That is the reason why the question seems too general :-)))

What I meant is what are you using your rangefinder camera for ie. street, family pics, professional work etc.

Old 10-21-2012   #30
Fedupwithdigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
Rangefinders have no specific usage location or field of photography. However, there are some types of photography they excel in, while not so much in others.

For example, you won't see many photographers using a rangefinder for Moon or Astrophotography (or any Telephotography in general). You also won't see too many people with a rangefinder in a sports game or similar events. Not that RFs can't do such things, but they are just not very good at it and will demand a very skilled photographer to do such types of photography well. Then again, there was a couple of people with large format rangefinders on the sidelines during Olympic Games in London. Rangefinders are also not very suited for macro work ...

I am sure you are quite aware of areas it CAN excel in, like street photography and anything where patience is a virtue, and there are no critical scenes that only appear for a fraction of a second and are gone afterwards. Any type of still or semi-moving objects that allow enough time to meter, focus and compose. That's where a rangefinder does well.
Just to add to a very good answer, the absence of a mirror means there is less vibration and handheld shots at lower speeds than, say, an SLR are possible. I've taken shots indoors, on 100 speed film and at shutter speeds of 1/15th and still managed to avoid blur.

Plus, there's no blacking out in the viewfinder when you take a shot, which can help (me at any rate) tell whether you've managed to get what you were after or need to try again.

Old 10-21-2012   #31
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvos1 View Post
I like rangefinder cameras and have been using them last 5 years but I am not much of a "street guy" where rangefinders are traditionally used.
I'd like to find out how my fellow RFF members use their rangefinder cameras...
Presuming this is an honest question:

An RF camera is not best suited to macro and close up work: they can be done but take the development of some technique and practice due to the fact that you cannot see through the taking lens to get the framing and focus correct without some trial and error.

RF cameras are similarly not best for when you need longer lenses—again, the focusing system is not accurate enough for lenses longer than about 135mm nor can you frame accurately enough to be worth the effort. Fortunately, my need for focal lengths longer than 135 is pretty infrequent.

Quote:
NOTE: If you add a Visoflex to a Leica RF camera, you are using an SLR, not an RF camera. I just wanted to make that clear. ;-)
Those are the two primary limitations of RF cameras. I do some street photography, but that's not all I do with a camera. I photograph parties, landscapes, friends and family, architecture, macro and table top, and some motor racing. The RF camera can do most of this well ... given the range of field of view from ultra-wide to medium portrait tele as the constraint, and with some effort for the macro and table-top work. For these two areas, I usually put down the RF camera and use an SLR or a TTL electronic camera.

For hand-held use with long lenses, 135mm equivalent FoV and up, the best camera is an SLR. For tripod use with long lenses, the TTL electronic camera is my favorite.

(BTW, the new Leica M announced at Photokina 2012 adds TTL electronic capability to the RF camera, so the new Leica M will obviate using another camera for all but the hand-held long lens situation. The SLR remains the best option for that situation.)

Old 10-21-2012   #32
kshapero
Press the Shutter

just about everything and anything....there I fell for this thread, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 10-21-2012   #33
froyd

Quote:

I have a lens that goes to f32, but it's kinda hard to jog with. The one that goes to f22 is a little easier to handle while moving. Will it make me a better photographer?

Old 10-21-2012   #34
froyd

Serious answer to the OP post: 98% of my photography is a chronicle of my family's life. Portraits, candids, posed vacation shots, etc (as you can see from the images I've posted here). I occasionally will photograph a cityscape or landscape if something catches my eye. I find RF well suited for this type of photography, although for pure posed portraits I have much better results with the TLR, which overall is the camera I most enjoy using.

I was using a pro-level SLR prior to RF, with great results, but the weight of the camera and the size of the lenses made it hard to always have around. These days light and simple is my motto. I never have more than one camera and at most two lenses with me at any time.

Recently I was lucky enough to get a freebie rx100, so we'll see how that camera will will fit in the day to day shooting, but I cannot imagine it will be able to provide the same physical satisfaction of the other cameras.

Old 10-21-2012   #35
gb hill

I use mine from street to landscapes. Sometimes I even railfan with it.

Old 10-21-2012   #36
TXForester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
You also won't see too many people with a rangefinder in a sports game or similar events. Not that RFs can't do such things, but they are just not very good at it and will demand a very skilled photographer to do such types of photography well. Then again, there was a couple of people with large format rangefinders on the sidelines during Olympic Games in London.
You can use them for close action.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...p?photo=113876

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 10-21-2012   #37
George Bonanno
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejohnson View Post
Transferred from the Q to the D to get to work. Took the 2 home a lot at night when I lived in Harlem. Port Authority on 42nd St. that is, maybe you meant one in Jersey.
Off Topic: Where is Port Authority in NJ ? I moved here from Chinatown and I'm clueless.

Old 10-21-2012   #38
zvos1

Added the poll....

M4 and some digital stuff

Old 10-21-2012   #39
finguanzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bonanno View Post
Off Topic: Where is Port Authority in NJ ? I moved here from Chinatown and I'm clueless.
I never heard of one, theres a NY or Newark Penn Station, but thats about it...

Old 10-21-2012   #40
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
I have a lens that goes to f32, but it's kinda hard to jog with. The one that goes to f22 is a little easier to handle while moving. Will it make me a better photographer?
the important thing is a lens of such a high caliper needs to have no autofocus. If your lens is expensive and does not have autofocus feature it means its for professionals, and if you use it then you are a professional of the professionals , unlike nikon , or canon