Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

LEICA MP, a new tool for professional and dedicated amateur photographers
Old 10-02-2003   #1
MP Guy
Just another face in the crowd

Leica Camera AG of Solms, Germany, is proud to announce the LEICA MP, a new tool for professional and dedicated amateur photographers. This purely mechanical rangefinder system camera is tailored entirely to the precise manual control of the photographically important parameters of time, aperture and focal plane. The photographer is not given any support, nor is he distracted by automatic program controls or options. If the photographer selects the shutter speed and the aperture, he or she will be completely independent of batteries. Rangefinding and exposure metering are of the very highest precision and have again been optimized. The new LEICAVIT-M accessory permits rapid manual film advancing. Virtually all system components of earlier models can also be used on the new camera.

All the functions of the new LEICA MP are designed for absolute ruggedness and longevity.
Like all Leica system cameras, the LEICA MP is assembled with manual craftsmanship in Solms in central Germany. The pull-up rewind knob is easy to grip and, like the film advance lever, is entirely made of metal, which makes both elements impact-resistant. The camera top is milled from solid brass. “For the owner, this means dependability during decades of hard use as well as high value retention. The LEICA MP is not a photographic infatuation – it is a camera for life,” according to Jean-Jacques Viau, marketing manager of the system products business unit of Leica Camera AG.

The LEICA MP replaces the LEICA M6, whose production was discontinued in early 2003 after a highly successful run of 19 years. At the same time, the LEICA MP complements the LEICA M7, which was introduced in 2002 and has an electronically controlled shutter and aperture-priority automatic exposure control for greater convenience and more functions.

By using less electronics as compared to the LEICA M6 TTL and the LEICA M7, it was possible to reduce the height of the top cover of the LEICA MP by 2.5 mm. This further enhanced the new camera’s discretion and compactness, for which the Leica M system is renowned.

Additional characteristics of the LEICA MP are the new sure-grip leather covering and the absence of the familiar red Leica dot on the front of the camera. “Although many photographers love the red Leica dot, they nevertheless discreetly cover it up on their M cameras in order to be able to work as inconspicuously as possible. That is why we decided to leave it off the new LEICA MP right from the start. We believe that it is sufficient that connoisseurs and owners recognize the camera as a Leica,” says Jean-Jacques Viau. In addition to the silver chrome version of the LEICA MP, the camera is also regularly available in a black lacquer version. After intensive prolonged use, some corners and edges will wear down to the solid brass. Many photographers value this as a reminder of the many experiences they have shared with the camera,“ says Jean-Jacques Viau.

The name MP, which was already used for an earlier model, signifies that this is one of the Leica M cameras that have been specially designed to address the needs of professional photographers. “The Leica MP offers 'Mechanik in Perfektion' - the second meaning of the letters MP,“ says the CEO of Leica Camera AG, Hanns-Peter Cohn. “We see the LEICA MP as an antithesis to the trend towards digitization and automation. In our experience, it is not the functions and facilities of a camera that determine the real quality of an image. The most important factor is the person behind the viewfinder who sees, composes and captures. Not forgetting the quality of the lens, of course, which is the actual producer of the image. As the camera is unpretentious and discreet, it offers the photographer a longlasting harmonious and inspiring relationship,“ says Cohn.

Shutter: The LEICA MP features a mechanically controlled horizontal-action, rubber-cloth focal- plane shutter, which is extremely precise, quiet and vibration-free. Shutter speeds of 1 to 1/1000s can be preselected in whole steps on the speed setting button on the camera top. The “B“ setting is for long exposures of any duration. The delay is extremely short, making shutter release much quicker than that of a usual SLR camera. This is a crucial advantage for capturing the 'magic moment' that is the hallmark of a special photograph.

Rangefinder system: The LEICA MP integrates the top-precision rangefinder system of all Leica M cameras, which features a large, bright viewfinder with automatic parallax compensation. The field of view is indicated by pairs of bright-line frames, either for 28 and 90mm (90mm frame separately in the LEICA MP 0.85), for 35 and 135mm (35mm frame separately in the LEICA MP 0.58) or for 50 and 75mm. The corresponding frames are mechanically reflected into the viewfinder when the lens is attached. With the aid of the field-of-view selector, any required frame can be displayed. To enhance contrast and brightness, all the optical surfaces of the viewfinder have been given a multi-layer anti-reflection coating. Even with particularly critical side light, the viewfinder provides a high-contrast metering field and clearly visible frames for each focal length due to a modified mirror and an additional lens. The split- and coincident-image rangefinder allows fast and spot-accurate focusing in all conditions. Unlike SLR systems, in which the measuring base is determined through the lens by the focal length and the lens speed, the measuring base of the LEICA MP rangefinder is always the same whatever lens is used. Its focusing accuracy, particularly for short focal lengths, is therefore clearly superior to that of SLR cameras.

Exposure metering: The selective through-the-lens exposure metering of the LEICA MP leads to the same precise results as with the LEICA M6 TTL. Even against-the-light situations, spotlight illumination or glancing side light, which cause different colors, light intensities and contrasts, are effectively mastered. Measurement is activated by exerting slight pressure on the shutter release. The light reflected by a white patch on the shutter curtain is measured by a photo diode via a collector lens. Thanks to its extraordinary sensitivity (a light value higher), this measuring method can even be used in candlelight. A battery status indicator in the viewfinder signalizes a decrease in the operating voltage.

Mechanical components: The reliability of the mechanical components of the LEICA MP was verified in numerous laboratory and field tests before the market launch. Like the LEICA M7, the LEICA MP has a top of solid brass. The main body and housing consist of light-weight but robust diecast aluminum. All the controls such as the speed dial, the film advance lever and the rewind crank are made entirely of metal.

Because of the camera's sturdiness and reliability, Leica Camera AG is giving registered owners a special 5-year warranty on the LEICA MP. On top of this, the company guarantees the availability of all services and spare parts in Leica after-sales service for at least thirty years after a possible change of model.

The two lenses LEICA SUMMICRON-M f/2/35 mm and LEICA SUMMILUX f/1.4/50 mm are also available in a black lacquer finish to match the black lacquered LEICA MP.

The first supplies of the LEICA MP will be available at Leica stockists' from March 2003. There are four different versions: the black lacquer model with 0.72x viewfinder magnification and the silver-chrome models with 0.58x, 0.72x and 0.85x magnification.

www.leicaimages.com
www.ZeissImages.com
www.l-mountimages.com

Developer of the RFF gallery Software and some other cool stuff.

Old 10-02-2003   #2
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

What? No self-timer?

Just kidding... Thanks for the news, Jorge, although I'd seen one for sale (the Hermés edition) on the web and even on eBay!

Only one thing: sounds like a repackaged M6TTL to me. Or at least a worked on kind. A step away from the M7, I might add.

Again, thanks for the news!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 10-02-2003   #3
Rich Silfver
Batteries Not Included

That sure is one pretty camera

Blog.........................Gallery

Old 10-02-2003   #4
back alley
IMAGES

and expensive, i'll bet...

Old 10-03-2003   #5
jdos2

I had a chance to handle one this past week, as Dodd Camera in Cleveland had "Leica Day."

I've not owned a Leica in a long time, and that one a IIIg that needed some severe maintenance.

I was thinking of going whole hog and getting the body and the 1.0 lens.

I've a question- does the f1.0 work well for general photography, or is it too "specialized" for wide apertures? I'm asking, as I shoot like most other folk, near f-8 most of the time, but I do like the look of a wide open lens. Is the 1.0 a decent day-to-day lens?

Old 10-03-2003   #6
MP Guy
Just another face in the crowd

Get the summicron 35mm 2.0 Asph. It is extremely versatile and fairly fast.

www.leicaimages.com
www.ZeissImages.com
www.l-mountimages.com

Developer of the RFF gallery Software and some other cool stuff.

Old 10-08-2003   #7
paul

What can the MP do that my Mint+++ IIIF RD ST with Mint 1:2 Summicron can't?

Old 10-08-2003   #8
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Nuthin'... except meter before take the photo.

Old 10-19-2003   #9
Oldprof

"Leica Camera ... is proud to announce the LEICA MP, a new tool for professional and dedicated amateur photographers."

A new tool? Or reinventing the wheel?

Old 10-22-2003   #10
markman

jdos2;

Regarding the Noctilux f1.0 - wide open, it's a very challenging lens to use, at under 5 metres. The depth of field is very narrow, so you'll want a properly adjusted Leica with either a 0.91x magnification (the M3) or one with the 0.85x mag (various M6 models, the M7 and the MP in chrome). The higher mag finders are more accurate.

Another caveat with the Noctilux - wide open, I get severe falloff with mine. It's probably a stop and half, with only the centre being a true f1.0. Most of the time, this is a nice effect, but this is definitely something to be aware of before you plunk down thousands of dollars for this lens.

And finally, the Noctilux is extremely heavy and has a heavily dampened, long travel, focusing barrel. This is not one of the usual nimble M lenses (like the 50mm Summicron, 35mm Summilux or Summicron ASPH, or 24mm ASPH). It's more awkward and slower to use than any other M lens. So be warned!

On the positive side, its performance at other apertures is better than some reviews suggest. It is possible to use it as a general lens, altho' the weight and lack of close focus (only 1 metre) is annoying. Also, despite the huge front element, it's quite flare-resistant.

If you need an ultra fast lens, why not consider either Leica's 35mm Summilux f1.4 ASPH or Voigtlander's 35mm Nokton f1.2 ASPH? Both are modern optics and have better performance wide open than the Noctilux, IMHO. Remember, the Noctilux is over a quarter century old in design, so it's understandable these two lenses would outperform it.

Another nice thing with the 35mm focal length is with the slightly wider angle of view, you get more (apparent) depth of field, so it's a bit more forgiving than the 50mm length. And finally, the Voigtlander Nokton is very well priced, yet performs as nicely as the Summilux ASPH (at least, to my eyes).

As for the MP itself - I've owned a black paint model since July. This is the first model M camera since the old M3 that has a rangefinder patch that doesn't blank out in oblique light. The quality of the build is better than the M6TTL. Mechanically, it's operation is extremely smooth and quiet. Black paint finish is gorgeous too.

Having said that, there is WAY too much hype over this camera. True, it's an improvement over the M6TTL, but we're talking small increments. If I had to "settle" for an M3 or M6TTL, I'd be just as happy with the function of those cameras (once all warranty problems with the M6TTL were solved, of course).

Old 12-07-2003   #11
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

markman, thanks for your post. I do find a certain charm in the MP, which I could handle recently in a Leica Day in Chicago. The meter is keener than the M6's (that is, the same as the M6TTL) but there's something nice and velvety about the film lever: it's simply put smoother than anything I've seen before...

Now, the logic behind the black paint instead of black chrome for the black model still eludes me: you want brass showing on the camera body? Is that the look some Leica owners like? If so, how about returning to the kinda coveted base plates marked Zu-Auf?

All in all, this body would have a perfect match with any Summilux lens. I don't think the Noctilux is that hot. At least, I wouldn't find any actual use for it.

Old 03-25-2006   #12
steelheart
Film shooter

I got an MP as soon as they were available and it is my favorite camera - I carry it with me almost every day. As far as lenses, I have the 28mm f/2 ASPH, 50mm f/1.4 non-ASPH, the 90mm f/2 APO and a Voitlander 35mm f/1.2, all purchased 2-1/2 to 3 years ago before the godawful price increases went into effect - the 28mm has gone up $1000 since I bought it!!

I looked at the Contax G system briefly and did some reading on it before I chose the MP and I'm very glad I did not get the Contax G, even though it is very attractive pricewise.

Simly put, there is nothing like an MP coupled with Leica glass!! If you are thinking about getting a Leica, DO IT - you will never regret it.

Old 03-25-2006   #13
peter_n
~

steelheart welcome to the forum! Jorge did do it - the thread you picked up on here is well over 2 years old and Jorge has been enjoying his MP for quite a while I think...

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-01-2006   #14
visiondr
cyclic iconoclast

Ditto. I just picked up an MP and sent an M6TTL to be sold through Tony Rose at Popflash. I've always wanted an MP and, after handling one in a local shop, decided I would treat myself. It is a fantastic tool. I will no miss the TTL flash in any way. The MP is as smooth as silk. I don't mind the smaller shutter speed dial or the M3 style rewind knob.

“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
Orson Welles

flickr (visiondrawn)

Old 11-28-2006   #15
Leica Geek

It's a gem!

Old 12-06-2006   #16
Robert

I have an M6ttl but ever since the MP came out I long to have one. I have an Olympus E1 and a G2 kit and several other cameras.
I dream about an MP - black paint and brassing due to consistant use.
If the M8 hadn't come out I would have had an MP before now.
The more cameras I have the less each of them are used and I can't face parting with any of them.

Old 12-06-2006   #17
Monika Haller

I have the MP and I also have an M4, now I am interested to hear the difference between the two with respect to professional photographing. Apart from the built in light meter, which is nothing more than a cheap third rate exterior meter, what exactly is the point of posting this thread?

M4 and MP
Summilux 50 and 35, Summicron 90,
Ricoh GRD, Fuji F30 and Sony R-1

Use to take snaps of flowers and animals, I now do people, how low can one sink?

Old 12-06-2006   #18
Nachkebia

10-03-2003, 04:26!!!!!!
This was posted as news!!

Zeiss Ikon, Leica M7, 21,25,35 biogon ZM, 28 elmarit ASPH, 50 planar ZM, 50 summilux asph
(hardcore nikonian)

Old 12-06-2006   #19
Monika Haller

Leica doesn't have any faster news..... all Leica news can be up to 21 years old... they are not a fast enhancement company now are they?

other than the introduction of the M8 which is a perfect disaster (except for the die hard leica fannclub)

This is exactly what I mean, what is the difference between a 1967 M4 and a "modern day" MP ......

M4 and MP
Summilux 50 and 35, Summicron 90,
Ricoh GRD, Fuji F30 and Sony R-1

Use to take snaps of flowers and animals, I now do people, how low can one sink?

Old 12-06-2006   #20
amateriat
We're all light!

Monika: I think the MP is a sort of "back to the future" exercise for Leica, an answer to critics who feel Solms has been backsliding a bit on the quality front. The M3/2/4 era is what the new MP is supposed to live up to, and, near as I can tell, the appear to have largely succeeded. (Which is good, given how much of a handful the M8 is at the moment.)

So, other than TTL metering, there is indeed nothing "new" about the MP. Which is more or less the point.

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 12-07-2006   #21
sleepyhead

Since this old thread got revived, I thought I'd throw in my two cents: when the MP first came out I wanted one badly, or so I thought. Then I realised that for the money I could buy 4, 5, maybe 6 user M4-Ps. So the super reliability argument got shot down. I got two M4-Ps instead.

There is of course the built-in meter in the MP, which I wouldn't use anyway because a hand-held incident meter is better...

Old 05-08-2008   #22
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Who wants to tackle this?
State the differences between an MP and a M6?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 05-08-2008   #23
Tuolumne

Why is this here?

/T

Old 05-08-2008   #24
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Who wants to tackle this? State the differences between an MP and a M6?
See:

http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/Cameratest_MP.html

http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera...nd_philos.html

http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/rangef...ering_fro.html

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 05-08-2008   #25
MartinP

Perhaps things might be more tidy if threads were moved to a "history" status, say twelve months after the last posting was made. That way they can be read and linked to, but not accidentally resurrected out of the context of their time . . . ?

Old 07-09-2014   #26
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Why do some folks have a problem drudging up an old thread? Gives perspective if nothing else.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125
Old 07-09-2014   #27
leicapixie

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125

The Leica MP definitely became the tool of the professionals.
The Digital onslaught was stopped in it's tracks.
Leica was not going to build a digital any time soon..

The Leica MP is a special order item..
Leica is now almost totally digital.
The prices of all Leica products has climbed out of sight.
Repeated to me, a person attending a recent Magnum workshop,
that as he arrived with the latest Leica M,
fancy Asph lens, in Luigi case,
"Anyone using that camera, does NOT shoot for a living!".
A bit more than a decade..

Old 07-09-2014   #28
kshapero
Press the Shutter

I know a few photographers using MP's for their photo livelihood.

Old 07-09-2014   #29
Pioneer

Against Canon and Nikon I don't think there is any comparison.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 07-09-2014   #30
David Hughes
David Hughes

"Like all Leica system cameras, the LEICA MP is assembled with manual craftsmanship in Solms in central Germany... "

Did they really say that?

Regards, David

Old 08-02-2014   #31
Ming Rider
Film, the next evolution.

Quote:
Who wants to tackle this? State the differences between an MP and a M6?
Err, knob rewind, no leica badge, £2k (used) and errr . . . Give me a minute and I'm sure I'll think of more.

"All I ask for is an M2 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

streetphotographyblog

Old 08-02-2014   #32
Bruno Gracia

Quote:
I know a few photographers using MP's for their photo livelihood.
Could You post an example?

Old 01-04-2016   #33
kshapero
Press the Shutter

MP photog

https://www.flickr.com/photos/riccis/