Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

todays gear thoughts
Old 09-23-2012   #1
back alley
IMAGES

todays gear thoughts

for the life of me, i cannot get that rx1 out of my head...even though the xp1 might be the 'smarter' move...

so today i am thinking...

buy the rx1 and use it as my primary camera
sell one of the rd1 bodies
keep the other rd1 body for a more manual, interchangeable lens experience
keep the m4-p for the film experience
keep the rx100 as companion/back up to rx1

keeps everything i shoot covered, keeps many photo experiences active for me...

Old 09-23-2012   #2
Out to Lunch

All things being personal...the RX1 without an integrated viewfinder is not on my agenda...also because the Fuji X100 does all of that including a very good viewfinder and a decent sized sensor. So does the Nex 7, both at a much better price. Cheers, Peter

Old 09-23-2012   #3
Photon42
burn the box

I cannot imagine using a camera as my prinary one, if it doesn't have an eyelevel viewfinder but that's just me. So given that, these Fujis are giving me a hard time ...

Old 09-23-2012   #4
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
I cannot imagine using a camera as my prinary one, if it doesn't have an eyelevel viewfinder but that's just me. So given that, these Fujis are giving me a hard time ...
I initially thought that as well.... But as I thought about it more... I think if u are ok w/ setting af point to center only and if u are ok w/ trusting the camera, then a 35 bright line vf maybe an ok choice here.. So long as u can figure out by sound when u have focus lock.. I learned to do this w/ the Panasonic gf1 / 20 pancake and 40 brightline...

But at end of the day, if it had the built in evf or ovf, I would probably have put down the cash eventually.. Probably a good thing that I have my money set aside for a set of new Fuji lenses. 14, 23, and the 27 plus the new kit zoom..

Btw why is the Fuji giving u a hard time?

Gary

Old 09-23-2012   #5
sevres_babylone

You are right to keep the R-D1 and Leica for the reasons you mentioned. You have to keep the RX100 because I joked about your selling it before you even got it

As for EVF or OVF, I've found that with my GRD3 I use the screen at least 80% of the time. The better Sony screen would probably take care of about half the occasions I find I need the external VF -- so the lack of an external viewfinder wouldn't be a disincentive for me with the new Sony.

Old 09-23-2012   #6
back alley
IMAGES

i think the rx1 and the rx100 would be a great combo...

Old 09-23-2012   #7
GaryLH

Sounds like u finally decided..

Have fun w/ it

Gary

Old 09-23-2012   #8
back alley
IMAGES

well, for today anyway...

Old 09-23-2012   #9
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
I initially thought that as well.... But as I thought about it more... I think if u are ok w/ setting af point to center only and if u are ok w/ trusting the camera, then a 35 bright line vf maybe an ok choice here.. So long as u can figure out by sound when u have focus lock.. I learned to do this w/ the Panasonic gf1 / 20 pancake and 40 brightline...

But at end of the day, if it had the built in evf or ovf, I would probably have put down the cash eventually.. Probably a good thing that I have my money set aside for a set of new Fuji lenses. 14, 23, and the 27 plus the new kit zoom..

Btw why is the Fuji giving u a hard time?

Gary
based on using the rx100, i don't think i would even use a 35mm finder...i don't seem to have the same problem/concern about using the lcd...i know many do not like it but that's not the case for me.

Old 09-23-2012   #10
jky

I actually enjoy LCD viewing... from the sound of it Sony has a solution to the can't-see-the-darn-thing-coz-it's-bright-out symptom.
I'd say go for it.

Old 09-23-2012   #11
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jky View Post
I actually enjoy LCD viewing... from the sound of it Sony has a solution to the can't-see-the-darn-thing-coz-it's-bright-out symptom.
I'd say go for it.
yes, the white pixels...it does work well!

Old 09-23-2012   #12
Maximilian

I'm really excited about the RX1 too! From my experience with the RX100, I definitely have my hopes up that this will become practically my only used camera.

I shot a Leica MP with a 35mm Summicron as my only setup for two years and I think I took better pictures during that time then I ever have when I've used more cameras/lenses. I'm very much looking forward towards the same simplicity again, but with digital and nice high ISO options this time!

Old 09-23-2012   #13
fotomeow
name under my name

Order the RX1, sell the rX100 and one RD1 body (never thought I would ever suggest that to anyone!) but only if you have 2 RD1 bodies.

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.

Old 09-23-2012   #14
btgc

I'm going to skip x100 and rx1 because of 35mm FOV, not exactly what I want as my main camera. If others like it, I can understand it. Anyway, there are enough cameras to choose from....

Old 09-23-2012   #15
radical7
Olivier Duong

Since you have 2 RD1 bodies, you won't miss it!

Old 09-23-2012   #16
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I don't understand keeping the RX100 and RX1 ... they seem too similar to me aside from the full frame thing and as back up to an RX1 the RX100 seems pointless.

Old 09-23-2012   #17
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by radical7 View Post
Since you have 2 RD1 bodies, you won't miss it!
i hope so...i once traded my second rd1 body for an x100 and wound up trading the x100 away for another rd1 body. i like shooting with 2 of my main cameras.
having one rx1 will prove interesting...that's one reason that i want to keep the rx100.

Old 09-23-2012   #18
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

In fact thinking about your general style of shooting and the type of images you produce I don't get why you want/need the RX1 at all!

Old 09-23-2012   #19
JChrome
Street Worker

Buy a film camera and shoot with it. When the worlds electricity goes out for good you will have something that lasts :-).

Old 09-23-2012   #20
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrumsick View Post
Buy a film camera and shoot with it. When the worlds electricity goes out for good you will have something that lasts :-).
i have an m4-p...

Old 09-23-2012   #21
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
In fact thinking about your general style of shooting and the type of images you produce I don't get why you want/need the RX1 at all!
what camera do you suggest?

Old 09-23-2012   #22
I Love Film
-

Wait, because if Sony can make a full frame RX1 with a Zeiss lens for $3000, they can make the same camera with an M mount and no lens for $3000 or much less.

I'm sure they will within a year or so. And so will other manufacturers. The resale value of the RX1 will drop to nothing, and there will be a big choice of "Leica M's" for a lot less money than the Leica products.

Old 09-23-2012   #23
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I just don't see what the RX1 will do for you that the RX100 isn't already doing. Plus it has the big advantage of the zoom lens and virtually has the same lens speed at the shorter end. Also you don't appear to be one of those minimum depth of field or bokeh junkies ... your photos usually have a generous depth of field with lots of detail and few of your pics look like they are shot wide open. No advantage with full frame here IMO.

Old 09-23-2012   #24
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
backalley, you sure seem to be struggling with gear questions lately. All the best with that.

But I'm thinking your issues are somewhat premature. The RX1 is not even available for another few month. Plus it's a first release of fairly radical technology. Then there's the absence of a VF, and the price. It might be best to forget about it until it's a real option.

I shoot m4/3 now and am considering the X E1. But I'm letting go until I can pick one up and handle it.

John
i enjoy the process of thinking about it...especially when i'm too lazy to go out shooting...like today.
i would not buy anything untill it's been tested at least a bit and shows what it can do.
the rx100 was a very pleasant surprise and i'm assuming the rx1 will be also...but i realize there are no guarantees.

Old 09-23-2012   #25
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Film View Post
Wait, because if Sony can make a full frame RX1 with a Zeiss lens for $3000, they can make the same camera with an M mount and no lens for $3000 or much less.

I'm sure they will within a year or so. And so will other manufacturers. The resale value of the RX1 will drop to nothing, and there will be a big choice of "Leica M's" for a lot less money than the Leica products.
i don't think that will happen and if it did i don't want to wait to see what m lenses would look like on it.
i have not been impressed with the mirrorless cams with m lenses on them. the oem lenses seem better.

Old 09-23-2012   #26
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
I just don't see what the RX1 will do for you that the RX100 isn't already doing. Plus it has the big advantage of the zoom lens and virtually has the same lens speed at the shorter end. Also you don't appear to be one of those minimum depth of field or bokeh junkies ... your photos usually have a generous depth of field with lots of detail and few of your pics look like they are shot wide open. No advantage with full frame here IMO.
all true and it makes sense...but then when i have been known for my logical thinking and follow through?

Old 09-23-2012   #27
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Joe: just do it. You have no obligation to rationalize selling gear and buying more. You enjoy it and it hurts no one.

You will be selling and buying more gear in 4-6 months or so. No need to dwell on what is practical or will work for you.

Don't over think or over discuss it. Just do it while it still will feel good.

Old 09-23-2012   #28
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
Joe: just do it. You have no obligation to rationalize selling gear and buying more. You enjoy it and it hurts no one.

You will be selling and buying more gear in 4-6 months or so. No need to dwell on what is practical or will work for you.

Don't over think or over discuss it. Just do it while it still will feel good.
i guess it generally looks like this is a painfull process for me...be assured that it is not.
i enjoy the chat and the thought process involved and occasionally someone else comes up with a thought that had not occurred to me. i like that.

i can see where my desire for something new does not compute for others but it will not impact my decision making.

i appreciate the support bob, especially from someone who is very strong in his own gear beliefs (and far removed from mine).
thanks!

Old 09-23-2012   #29
ChrisN
Striving

Sell everything; buy an M9.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 09-23-2012   #30
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Sell everything; buy an M9.
i am not moved by the digital leicas...if i go radical i want new, exciting and autofocus!

Old 09-23-2012   #31
ChrisN
Striving

Then you are trapped in a never-ending marketing cycle.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 09-23-2012   #32
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Then you are trapped in a never-ending marketing cycle.
can't say that i agree with that.

i like new as much as the next guy but my track record shows something quite the opposite.

i currently have 2 cameras from 2004, one from about 1984 and one from 2012...only one bought new.

those market guys are losing with me.

Old 09-23-2012   #33
I Love Film
-

So you don't like what M lenses look like on your Epson R-D1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i don't think that will happen and if it did i don't want to wait to see what m lenses would look like on it.
i have not been impressed with the mirrorless cams with m lenses on them. the oem lenses seem better.

Old 09-23-2012   #34
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
So you don't like what M lenses look like on your Epson R-D1?
the rd1 is hardly part of the new mirrorless group of cams that can use so many different lenses with adapters.

your jedi mind tricks will not work on me...

Old 09-23-2012   #35
I Love Film
-

The R-D1 uses any M-mount lens to focus on a Sony sensor.

Why would it possibly produce photographs that are any better or worse than a mirrorless camera that allows an M-lens to focus on a Sony sensor?

OK, the Epson has an image-processing chip that was developed in-house at Epson, but it is ten years old and the newer chips are presumably as good or better.

Old 09-23-2012   #36
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
all true and it makes sense...but then when i have been known for my logical thinking and follow through?

You're just messin' with us then!

Old 09-23-2012   #37
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
can't say that i agree with that.

i like new as much as the next guy but my track record shows something quite the opposite.

i currently have 2 cameras from 2004, one from about 1984 and one from 2012...only one bought new.

those market guys are losing with me.
OK, sorry, just delete the work "marketing".

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 09-23-2012   #38
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
The R-D1 uses any M-mount lens to focus on a Sony sensor.

Why would it possibly produce photographs that are any better or worse than a mirrorless camera that allows an M-lens to focus on a Sony sensor?

OK, the Epson has an image-processing chip that was developed in-house at Epson, but it is ten years old and the newer chips are presumably as good or better.
really?
this is what you want to debate over?
and i thought i was bored...

Old 09-23-2012   #39
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
OK, sorry, just delete the work "marketing".
we are all in a cycle chris...

Old 09-23-2012   #40
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
You're just messin' with us then!
who loves ya baby?