Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X Series

my x pro 1 finally pimped
Old 05-24-2012   #1
Johnhw

my x pro 1 finally pimped

Well, my x pro is finally pimped for now.

I added:

a. A Match Technical Thumbs Up and shutter button (Opera Act II).
b. A protective screen.
c. A Gordy's wrist strap and long shoulder strap so I can change according to what/where I am shooting. Both in black with red thread.
d. A Ciesta black case with red thread and black lens cap came today.

For anyone interested in this case the stitching seems very clean and the case well made. It is a snug fit to the camera and has a screw in tripod nut in the bottom. It does not have a space for battery removal. The lens cap with string attached I like as to not have to fiddle with caps. the case adds a bit of thickness overall and runs on top of the back screen. i like this as the entire back of the camera is not exposed. You end up reaching in a bit to the buttons because of all the enclosed areas but it is not a problem.

Overall I really like how the whole package came out.

Old 05-24-2012   #2
jsrockit

Neck strap (black label silk) only for me... not a big fan of things that make a small camera more bulky. However, I do like your wrsit strap and neck strap idea and what matters most is what works for you. Have fun!

Old 05-24-2012   #3
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

John, could you tell me how much clearance there is between the bottom of the eyepiece and the Ciesta case? It looks very similar to a Mr. Zhou case, and I would like to make sure that it will clear a wider rubber eyepiece (as on the Nikon F2).

Thanks!
Dante

Old 05-24-2012   #4
Johnhw

Dante,

The top of the case almost, and I mean almost touches the bottom the the rubber eyepiece. with that in mind, I can easily push it down a bit giving more clearance without it becoming low into the back screen

Old 05-24-2012   #5
alistair.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw View Post
Well, my x pro is finally pimped for now.

I added:

a. A Match Technical Thumbs Up and shutter button (Opera Act II).
b. A protective screen.
c. A Gordy's wrist strap and long shoulder strap so I can change according to what/where I am shooting. Both in black with red thread.
d. A Ciesta black case with red thread and black lens cap came today.

For anyone interested in this case the stitching seems very clean and the case well made. It is a snug fit to the camera and has a screw in tripod nut in the bottom. It does not have a space for battery removal. The lens cap with string attached I like as to not have to fiddle with caps. the case adds a bit of thickness overall and runs on top of the back screen. i like this as the entire back of the camera is not exposed. You end up reaching in a bit to the buttons because of all the enclosed areas but it is not a problem.

Overall I really like how the whole package came out.
I have highted those words above because I am a passer by when it comes to this product BUT pictures of the 'pimped' (never thought I write that word) camera would be interesting indeed...

Pictures please!

Old 05-24-2012   #6
Johnhw

Thanks Rockit,

yes, it makes it a bit wider but I am a stickler for trying to keep things pristine. I tend to bang stuff around so really feel I need a case.

Old 05-24-2012   #7
jsrockit

Quote:
...I am a stickler for trying to keep things pristine. I tend to bang stuff around so really feel I need a case.
Ah, I see. I just let mine get scratched and dinged. That said, I'm not in war zones or in hectic situations generally speaking.

Old 05-24-2012   #8
x.z.

Pimped, not sure what's meaning of this English

Well my XP1 "pimped" with one protective film on screen, and one dark tape on the LED

My Flickr

Old 05-24-2012   #9
Johnhw

X,Z

Pimped is just a slang term here meaning "extra stuff added", as you can see from the post, it is just the accessories I put on.

Old 05-24-2012   #10
Johnhw

Alistar,

If someone can direct me how to add photos I will try.

Old 05-24-2012   #11
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw
Dante,

The top of the case almost, and I mean almost touches the bottom the the rubber eyepiece. with that in mind, I can easily push it down a bit giving more clearance without it becoming low into the back screen
Thanks... If it doesn't work, there's always X-Acto!

Dante

Old 05-24-2012   #12
x.z.

Quote:
X,Z

Pimped is just a slang term here meaning "extra stuff added", as you can see from the post, it is just the accessories I put on.
Thank you for the explanation, so my guess is correct

My Flickr

Old 05-24-2012   #13
Athos6
Tao Master

This thread is worthless without pictures

Old 05-24-2012   #14
seanbonner

Old 05-25-2012   #15
Leigh Youdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.z. View Post
Thank you for the explanation, so my guess is correct
It depends on what part of the English-speaking world you are. English can be a strange language.
Here, the verb "to pimp" has very different connotations, so if you have been "pimped" - well, I'll leave it at that!

Fuji X10
Leica M6
Bessa R4A
Rolleiflex (3): E3 Planar 2.8, WA & Tele
Nikkormat FTn (2)

Old 05-25-2012   #16
Bike Tourist

John, about the Match Technical Thumbs Up. It is not listed for the XP1. How is the fit? Does it interfere with any buttons on back? Do you like the handling better with it?

Stock Portfolio:
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/biketourist

Old 05-25-2012   #17
donz

I thought I see pictures on the first post

Old 05-25-2012   #18
jarski

still no pics??

Quote:
If someone can direct me how to add photos I will try.
heres guide how to use Flickr for this: http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/s...hreadid=119390

Old 05-25-2012   #19
Johnhw

jarski,
Thanks for the guide i will check it out. I moved some photos from my iphone to the computer yesterday so I will see if I can transfer those.

Dick,
If you look at the CSEP-2 you will see that along with fitting a leica the X pro is listed, the x100 might be too. It has a cold shoe which I have covered. There is a new model coming out that will make the camera appear not as tall I think. Anyway, the metal does not interfere with the buttons. perhaps with the shutter control you turn it more from the side now but nothing noticeable. For me, when i rest my thumb it causes my hand position to raise a bit which means now the camera rests a bit different in the bottom pad of my hand. Some may like this some may not but I find the position comfortable and holding the camera by one hand and shooting better, like you might do in a quick moment on the street. Hope that helps. The piece is very well built and after you place it in your hotshoe you tighten a small screw to secure it. It has not come loose at all.

I have been through DSLR's, OLY m43 and not since the feel and control of my F3 have I been so smitten with a camera.

Old 05-25-2012   #20
Johnhw

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7098/7...ae97d9cd_m.jpg

Old 05-25-2012   #21
Johnhw

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7214/7267505280_6bb3978c83_m.jpg

I hope this worked guys....

Old 05-25-2012   #22
Johnhw

Last one...

Old 05-25-2012   #23
segedi
RFicianado

And now a request for some pics taken with the camera

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 05-25-2012   #24
Johnhw

segedi,

boy, you guys are a demanding bunch...lol
ok, I've got a few I would like to share but don;t think I can post them until Monday. I will try though.

Old 05-25-2012   #25
Thardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
It depends on what part of the English-speaking world you are. English can be a strange language.
Here, the verb "to pimp" has very different connotations, so if you have been "pimped" - well, I'll leave it at that!
Pimping has different meanings, but I think the same root. Two meanings today mean to add accessories to a car or camera etc..to spruce it up. The results can be quite dramatic.

In schools especially Medical school a student is frequently pimped by doctors of higher status. Basically they are asked questions in an aggressive manner with oftentimes humiliating results.

The root is from those guys who "take care" of prostitutes. They would frequently treat the women in a degrading manner and would dress very flamboyantly with big hats, fur coats and fancy jewelry.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 05-25-2012   #26
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardy View Post
Pimping has different meanings, but I think the same root. Two meanings today mean to add accessories to a car or camera etc..to spruce it up. The results can be quite dramatic...

...The root is from those guys who "take care" of prostitutes. They would frequently treat the women in a degrading manner and would dress very flamboyantly with big hats, fur coats and fancy jewelry.
Right. To pimp an object (as opposed to a human) is to dress it up over the top... to over accessorize. Which is an analogous reference to how a pimp overdoes his outfits and nothing to do with the pimp's "job."

Old 05-25-2012   #27
loquax ludens

Nice looking camera, Johnhw. What sort of protector did you put on the screen? Did it reduce brightness noticeably? Some I've seen have a rim, others don't. It looks like this one doesn't. I can see the icons on the left border of the LCD, which is good.

Old 05-25-2012   #28
loquax ludens

I wonder if anyone has a pic of an X-Pro 1 with a JnK half case. Those look like they might be nice too.

Old 05-25-2012   #29
Johnhw

loquax,

The screen is just a 3" inexpensive one by Promaster. No, it has not cut down brightness, if I even notice it at all. I know there are Schott glass and other more expensive ones out there, I just wanted something to help somewhat knowing I had a case on it. It will not be difficult to remove if I have to in the future and will not do damage to the camera finish. I think it cost me like $13.

Old 05-25-2012   #30
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
segedi,

boy, you guys are a demanding bunch...lol
ok, I've got a few I would like to share but don;t think I can post them until Monday. I will try though.
Yes please. Brick wall shots with and without case and strap

Old 05-25-2012   #31
Bike Tourist

Quote:
jarski,
Thanks for the guide i will check it out. I moved some photos from my iphone to the computer yesterday so I will see if I can transfer those.

Dick,
If you look at the CSEP-2 you will see that along with fitting a leica the X pro is listed, the x100 might be too. It has a cold shoe which I have covered. There is a new model coming out that will make the camera appear not as tall I think. Anyway, the metal does not interfere with the buttons. perhaps with the shutter control you turn it more from the side now but nothing noticeable. For me, when i rest my thumb it causes my hand position to raise a bit which means now the camera rests a bit different in the bottom pad of my hand. Some may like this some may not but I find the position comfortable and holding the camera by one hand and shooting better, like you might do in a quick moment on the street. Hope that helps. The piece is very well built and after you place it in your hotshoe you tighten a small screw to secure it. It has not come loose at all.

I have been through DSLR's, OLY m43 and not since the feel and control of my F3 have I been so smitten with a camera.
Thanks for the answers. And the pictures. I think I'll get one.

Stock Portfolio:
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/biketourist

Old 05-25-2012   #32
loquax ludens

I looked at a lot of pictures, but I couldn't figure out what a Match Technical Thumbs Up is for. What does it do?

Old 05-25-2012   #33
Johnhw

Dick,

I got mine from PopFlash. Great service and very fast.

loquax,
See part of my answer above that Dick quoted. It is basically a piece that places your thumb more in support of the camera, removes it a bit from possibly striking other buttons during operation, and as I said above, I like that it helps with one handed shooting.

Last edited by Johnhw : 05-25-2012 at 10:50. Reason: mistake

Old 05-25-2012   #34
loquax ludens

Ah, then that Thumbs Up is something I need to consider because I've run into that "where do I put my thumb" issue on my X-Pro 1. Unfortunately, it renders the hotshoe unusable.

Old 05-29-2012   #35
x.z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardy View Post
Pimping has different meanings, but I think the same root. Two meanings today mean to add accessories to a car or camera etc..to spruce it up. The results can be quite dramatic.

In schools especially Medical school a student is frequently pimped by doctors of higher status. Basically they are asked questions in an aggressive manner with oftentimes humiliating results.

The root is from those guys who "take care" of prostitutes. They would frequently treat the women in a degrading manner and would dress very flamboyantly with big hats, fur coats and fancy jewelry.

Really thanks for your explaination.

My Flickr

Old 05-29-2012   #36
x.z.

John, where did you find that Match Technical Thumbs Up? I tried searching in the bay but found nothing.

My Flickr

Old 05-30-2012   #37
macjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.z.
John, where did you find that Match Technical Thumbs Up? I tried searching in the bay but found nothing.
You can buy them direct from : http://www.matchtechnical.com/Pages/default.aspx
Or you can get them from : http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/catalog...t/?q=Thumbs+up

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Old 06-18-2012   #38
anorphirith

thumbs up is particularly ugly on the xpro1

Old 06-18-2012   #39
Johnhw

Sorry you don't like it. It has been particularly functional however for me, mainly because I do a lot of one handed shooting, and raising my grip a bit while taking away from the issue of striking the Q and other buttons on the top right hand side.

By all means though, don't use one on yours, half the fun is enjoying the looks of the camera.