Processing Problem / tons of specs on film
Old 10-23-2011   #1
Photon42
burn the box

Question Processing Problem / tons of specs on film

Recently I have developed two rolls of film, one Neopan 400, on Tri-X. As they where pretty close in development time with XTOL, I processed them together in the same can. Now the Tri-X came out OK, the Neopan 400, however, showed white specs all over the place. I tend to work pretty clean, so while everything can be improved, I believe dust isn't the main problem here. Is it possible that I see residuals from the fixing bath, which may have been washed out on the Tri- but not the Neopan?

specs-sample.jpg

Please no advise in the direction of just using Tri-X. I like Neopan 400, and normally it comes out OK.

Both films were washed by changing water in four cycles. I was doing 40 inversions for the first two cycles. For the last two cycles I did 20 inv, then waited approx 5 min, did 20 inv again, then changed the water. I have and used filtered water for mixing the developer from stock and during the watering cycles. After washing the film, I've used a tiny bit of Ilfotol wetting agent (1+200, as stated) in distilled water (for batteries, ironing etc).

For scanning, I use a Coolscan V, so no glass involved.

Any ideas and would you support the idea this is some chemical stuff?

Thanks
Ivo