Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

What the heck happened to used Leica prices???
Old 07-23-2011   #1
Avotius
Some guy

What the heck happened to used Leica prices???

Sorry if this has been beaten to death lately and my forum search missed something but....

*** happened to used Leica prices??? I got some stuff I am going to thin out in the next few months and I am doing a little price research and I cannot believe my eyes. Many prices are about 60-80% more than they were what seems like not that long ago.

Yeah yeah, international exchange rates, this and that, but rates have not changed so much to have these kinds of price hikes.

Did I miss something? Solms fell into the sea? Leica lenses proved an aphrodisiac? Somalian pirates hijack a huge shipment of glass?

Old 07-23-2011   #2
brainwood
Registered Film User

I'm guessing its the effect of the M9's success.Used lenses inparticular have seen an increase in price presumably as a new wave of users brought in by the M9 look for other lenses for the their new camera. Can the increase in Film bodies be linked to this as well ?
There is certainly a new enthusiasm for film so maybe it is a combination of these things.

Chris

RFF Gallery

chrisbrainwood.co.uk

Old 07-23-2011   #3
Harry S.

Frustrating as heck! I cant even begin to entertain the idea of a summilux these days.

Old 07-23-2011   #4
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwood View Post
I'm guessing its the effect of the M9's success.Used lenses inparticular have seen an increase in price presumably as a new wave of users brought in by the M9 look for other lenses for the their new camera. Can the increase in Film bodies be linked to this as well ?
There is certainly a new enthusiasm for film so maybe it is a combination of these things.

Chris
Dear Chris,

And, I suspect, film bodies to try with their new lenses. After all, if you can easily afford an M9 and a couple of new lenses, the price of a used film body is pretty trivial.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-23-2011   #5
Brian Legge

If it were just M9s, I'd expect the bodies to be the same price or lower. It doesn't seem that way, based on those I've talked with who bought their Ms over the last few years.

Old 07-23-2011   #6
Photon42
burn the box

With the M9, you get new Leica customers as well, who will also become interested in legacy technology, as Roger pointed out. Alongside with the overwhelming success of the camera along with the inability of the Solms manufactory to keep up with the demand for lenses (and the camera), one factor accelerates the other.
Funny enough, the Summarits are not too difficult to obtain, so please, Ken Rockwell prayer wheel, keep saying they are all crap

Cheers
Ivo

Old 07-23-2011   #7
rogerzilla

M3 bodies are up about 50% in the last six months. It's not just the M9 effect. I think a lot of the stuff is going to China; I've sold some small bits like filters and viewfinders to China and Hong Kong.

I suppose when you have an economy founded on making cheap tat for the decadent and lazy West, a piece of quality German engineering is a breath of fresh air.

Another anecdote: my usual technician said he serviced an M3 a few weeks ago. Not a black one or anything with any special history, just one in nice condition. The client then sold it on eBay for over two grand (and that's pounds, not dollars).

My gallery

Last edited by rogerzilla : 07-23-2011 at 01:22.

Old 07-23-2011   #8
BobYIL

For the lenses a couple of factors besides the M9. Started with the m43 owners first who wanted to try Leica lenses on Panasonic and Olympus via adapters... thousands of them. Then the NEX accelerated this further... Some Far East enthusiasts prospered through recent developments began to afford for the film Leicas, then naturally for the lenses. Add to these the anticipation of the probability of some new digital rangefinder/s to be introduced other than Leica, just in one year we saw at least 60% increase in prices.

Old 07-23-2011   #9
lorriman

With dollar QE and the China bubble (which some think is about to pop) in addition to the possible influience of the new micro 4/3rds people: it's not surprising. However the world economy is looking decidedly shaky at the moment. I wouldn't expect these prices to last, especially if China's housing bubble collapses.

http://melodybyrds.wordpress.com/
searching the world for the sweetest melodies

Rangefinderforums non-evil forums roomifier
, more width for photos, but without removing the ads. And less fluff top and bottom.

Old 07-23-2011   #10
VF101

I'm one of the people who helped to increase demand. I've been longing for a Leica since I've been on college twenty years ago. Ignored photography completely as the digital revolution started. Came back as digital matured and bought M4/3 gear. Learned, that my PEN can use Leica glass. Remembered my old longing and bought an Industar-61 for just a few Euros as a test. The pictures were great, but the handling was not very smooth. So I bought a CL and a Summicron-C.

Without a M4/3 camera and the possibility to use my Leica lens on it, I would never have bought it.

Old 07-23-2011   #11
menos

Last summer, I could have had a beautiful, non beaten M3 single stroke for … gasp … 350,- EUR.

That reads: threehundredfifty Euro!

I got lucky, I got the expensive glass, I longed for just in time and hurry at the moment, to pick up my last dream lenses, having have bought a 75 Lux just yesterday.

Once the US and Europe folds, I will sit on my Leica stuff, financing bread and butter of my retirement in 30 years ;-)

What I do find really annoying though is, that everything, I mean everything, that can remotely easily adapted, to be fitted on a Leica is skyrocketing in price.
You won't believe the amounts of old in horrific shape trash of LTM glass, being unloaded at the moment for Leica prices in Chinese camera markets (and else).

A Parisian camera dealer offered me a TOTALLY beaten, half missing Canon 35 1.8 for almost 500 EUR a month ago.
Really beaten formerly off the shelf Canon and Nikon 50 1.8 lenses go for close to 500 EUR often now - two years ago, these would have been thrown in with a deal of an old body for 150 EUR for the set!

Don't feed the dealers!
Don't pay insane prices on gear - let them eat their hats and sit these times out.
Buy from the classifieds.

Old 07-23-2011   #12
jordanstarr
J.R.Starr

....There's few cameras out there that will outlive a person, and Leica is one of them. For the price of a pro-digital SLR and a couple lenses, someone can get a Leica film body, a great lens, a good film scanner and a couple hundred rolls of film. The digital camera will decrease in value by half within a year or two, where a Leica will hold it's value for it's lifetime (film cameras that is). Not only is it a reasonable investment, but in the end, you can use a Leica for 10 years and sell it for nearly the same price (or in some cases, much more). If you have the money right off the bat, it's like getting a free Leica rental for as long as you want to own it. Not a bad deal, if you ask me.

But as stated above, having digital Leica cameras come out creates a growing market for Leica (and m-mount) glass as well. And with the demand outweighing the number of new lenses coming out, it's simple supply and demand.

This not only applies to Leica. I bought some Zeiss glass (manual focus, etc.) for my Contax body just before all the adapters and stuff came out for these lenses on Canon EOS and Nikon digital SLR bodies and I got about 8 of them for under $2000 (50 1.4, 28 f2, 35 f1.4, 85 f1.4, 100 f2, etc) and 3 of them alone are worth ~$1000 on the used market now. With a sea of consumer-grade lenses out there, many photographers want "the best of the best" to try and stand out from the crowd of everyone and their grandma who owns a digital. It's not just a Leica trend.

Last edited by jordanstarr : 07-23-2011 at 02:48.

Old 07-23-2011   #13
squirrel$$$bandit

Hey, good to see you around, Colin.

I've noticed this too. Been suspecting the M9 and various mirrorless interchangeable-lens compacts.

Old 07-23-2011   #14
dallard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwood View Post

Chris
I think the M9's full frame sensor is what made 50's go up so much so rapidly. Before the M9 you could get a current model like new for around $750 because of the M8 crop factor (who wants a 65mm lens?) Now KEH is selling them for above the new price! Granted, they aren't being bought at that price but even cheaper sources are selling for around the cost of a new one.

Old 07-23-2011   #15
rogerzilla

I want to know how a Summar went from being free (thrown in to help sell an LTM body) to 250 quid!

My gallery

Old 07-23-2011   #16
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerzilla View Post
I want to know how a Summar went from being free (thrown in to help sell an LTM body) to 250 quid!
The Summar lens was 17 dollars from Olden Camera in my day

Old 07-23-2011   #17
Frank Petronio
-

The prices will collapse shortly after the next crisis, earthquake, or terrorist attack. So there is still hope ;-p

I bought a going out of business photo studio for a bargain price in order to resell their gear. Problem was I bought it on September 10, 2001.

Old 07-23-2011   #18
Rayt

Leica is following the business strategy of high end Swiss watches: limit supply so they can charge more. With new prices going through the roof used prices follow.

Old 07-23-2011   #19
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Version Two View Post
The prices will collapse shortly after the next crisis, earthquake, or terrorist attack. So there is still hope ;-p
I'm not so sure. Japan's recents disasters have only added to the Leica prices right now. If items are rarer (due to parts not being made, etc.), then they go up in price. It would be something that effects the world and not just a region. Spoke to someone at a photo shop in NYC recently who stated that he believes Leica can sell all the products they can make to the Chinese at this point and compared to China and Japan, the US is a small market with no power to demand products from Leica to sell. The guy said they are lucky to get products from Leica and have waiting lists for most lenses. The only items readily available at his shop is the M9-P and 75mm Summarit. Leica also just doesn't have enough trained staff to keep up with demand and training staff takes a long time.

Last edited by jsrockit : 07-23-2011 at 07:21.

Used Leica prices
Old 07-23-2011   #20
Bluedog2212

Cool Used Leica prices

You can see the same effect when Pentax came out with their digital medium format. The 645 and 67 lenses got very popular.

Old 07-23-2011   #21
Tim Gray

I think its a couple of things:
1. Popularity of the M9.
2. Shortage of new lenses.
3. Rising prices on the new gear pushes prices on the used gear up. Remember when Leica put out the last 100 50/1's at 10k? The price on used 50/1's went up to 5-6k almost over overnight.
4. Crappy economy.

Personally, I think the crappy economy affects us normal people more. People who can go out and buy an M9, 50 ASPH, and a 21 or 24 Summilux on a whim are probably less affected. Couple that with the other factors listed above, and it's not that big of a deal if they have to pay an extra $500 for a 50 ASPH to get it NOW instead of in nine months.

Old 07-23-2011   #22
Vickko

NO NO NO.

Never take profit with selling Leica stuff. Sell stocks, sell organs, sell other camera stuff, sell anything else. Okay, almost anything else.....

Leica stuff never comes down in price. Nor does it become easier to find.

:-)

Vick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperture64 View Post
Something is going on. I thought about selling just to take in the profit, but not sure if the prices will ever come down again to re-buy.

Old 07-23-2011   #23
rogerzilla

I think Nocti prices have gone up and down a lot over the years.

My gallery

Old 07-23-2011   #24
redisburning
-

what I want to know is why m2 and m4 prices are so high now.

I knew the Japanese have a fondness for Leica, I did not know the Chinese were the same way.

I think we have to face a new reality if the Chinese really want all of our/Japanese old stuff; there are never going to be new OM/K/MD lenses and there will never be enough Leica stuff to go around at old prices. Even if China implodes (as they are historically inclined to doing), there is still enough residual money there.

And I dont know anything about a film resurgence. Ive seen several films get canceled just over the course of the last 2 years; I cant even walk into a camera store and buy Neopan 400 anymore regardless of whether they are still making it.

Summilux
Old 07-23-2011   #25
raid
Dad Photographer

Summilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry S. View Post
Frustrating as heck! I cant even begin to entertain the idea of a summilux these days.

I must have gotten lucky by buying last year used Summilux 35mm V2 and 75mm lenses for a total cost of $3000.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-23-2011   #26
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperture64 View Post
Something is going on. I thought about selling just to take in the profit, but not sure if the prices will ever come down again to re-buy.
I don't think that prices will go down soon for Leica lenses. It is also the same for Leica mount lenses. Take the Nikkor 85mm/2 or the 50/2 or 50/1.4; they are up in value. I sold a never used Canon 35/2 (new old stock) for less than $500 here. Try finding one these days for such a price.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-23-2011   #27
mynikonf2
OEM

...another thing I've noticed is that some rather rare stuff is starting to show up in the market place & not just Leica gear. I have been able to purchase a few Nikon items (and of course, watch others purchase a lot more of the gear) that I have wanted for years.
It's obvious that people are taking advantage of these higher prices to part with their treasures.

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Lenses are the future more than sensors!!!!
Old 07-23-2011   #28
eleskin

Lenses are the future more than sensors!!!!

Cameras and the next new sensor are becoming redundant in my opinion. We are approaching the time of diminishing returns. The next revolution seems to be in mirrorless designs, and it is only a matter of time before we see more full frame options beyond the M9. What this will do is create new markets for all kinds of lenses, including many of the classics made by nikon, Leica, Minolta, Canon, Olympus, Zeiss, etc,,,. The camera will be seen for what it really is, a box that holds film or in this case a sensor. Since excellent sensors will be more the norm as time marches on (yawn, yawn) , people will see the lens as the most important with the most value in that they are the tools that paint with light in a unique way based on who designed them (Walter Mandler, etc,,) and how they draw with light or render the image.

One thing is certain. Lenses of many makes will increase in value, Leica, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, etc,,,,,.

So my advise is buy as much glass as you can afford. I buy Leica used all the time when I see a good deal, and new Voigtlander stuff as well. Lenses are your paintbrushes. Your canvas is the sensor or film. Remember that!!!!!

I bought glass rather than an M9
Old 07-23-2011   #29
eleskin

I bought glass rather than an M9

I invested in glass over the past few years since 2007 when I bought my first M8. At that time, I had a 35mm Summicron V4 and a 28mm Elmarit from the early 1980's. I used to have more Leica glass (50mm Dual range Summicon, 90mm Summicon) but sold that to finance some medium format stuff. I went nuts on Ebay in 2007 to mid 2009 and found the following at these prices: 50mm f1.0 Noctilux ($4,700), 50mm Summicron late version ($695), 50mm Summitar ($150), 90mm Tele Elmarit ($235), 135 Elmarit with eyes ($300) and 280mm Telyt late vesion ($300).

I was considering an M9 but the lenses got the best of me. I am glad I made this choice based on what I know and what I read on this thread.

I also bought new a 15mm Super Wide Heliar, 35mm f1.2 Nokton, 40mm Nokton, Jupiter 8, Jupiter 9, Industar 61LD, Visoflex 2 and 3.

If I would sell right now I could really cash in, but I will not. For me, it is all about the glass. The camera is an afterthought!!!1

Old 07-23-2011   #30
Brian Legge

I think we solved it. Eleskin has them all.

Never Sell If You Can Help It!!!
Old 07-23-2011   #31
eleskin

Never Sell If You Can Help It!!!

When I think back when I sold off my Dual Range Summicron and 90mm Summicron, I regret it. I swore to myself I would not do that again!

So any of you out there, hold on to the glass!!! You will only be forced to buy it or something like it back later. When I had my M8 for the first time, I had that feeling. You never know when these lenses will make themselves very useful. Remember why some artists have so many different types of paintbrushes. It is the same with many photographers regarding lenses!

Old 07-23-2011   #32
eleskin

Brian, I love your sense of humor!!!!

Now for the D.C. Budget talks. maybe Uncle Sam should have bought

leica Lenses a few years ago!!!!

Old 07-23-2011   #33
rogerzilla

I'm not sure FF sensor prices will come down to $200 or whatever for a FF digicam. The yield on physically large chips is poor than for small digicam chips because a small flaw or contamination on the silicon wafer means rejection, so you might get a 1 in 2 rejection rate rather than 1 in 20. Moore's Law doesn't help you here; all that does is help to pack more megapixels onto small chips (which some would argue has already gone beyond its reasonable limits, since a 16MP digicam sensor gets very noisy).

Mass production of FF sensors would bring prices down a bit because the R&D costs are amortised over more units, but barring a breakthrough in clean room techniques I don't think we'll see all cameras becoming FF.

My gallery

Old 07-24-2011   #34
menos

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleskin View Post
…Remember why some artists have so many different types of paintbrushes. It is the same with many photographers regarding lenses!
I think, it's mainly because the second hand artist paint brush market really collapsed two years ago, dragging the best of the western worlds economies with it … the rest is history.

Eleskin really got this here ;-)
I basically did the same, and I am really happy about it.
I used my M8.2 since I got it second hand and swore, I never will buy any of those little advance, high priced M9 over it.
I bought glass instead: 50/1, 75/1.4, 35/1.4 ASPH, 135/3.4 APO, many LTM lenses, I always desired, Leica film bodies.

I finally picked up a M9 some weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

The expensive lenses, I bought over the last year already finance the M9 in value increase. There are not many more lenses, I desire.
One of the last unicorns, I wanted was the 75 Lux.
That should be it for now ;-)

I hope, the market get's a bit more sane soon, as new lenses and demand cool down a bit. I really don't like the massive interesting stuff of older LTM glass being simply overpriced and would like to experiment a bit more.

Recently a 85 Summarex just has been outbid and sold for ~ 2000 EUR, if I remember correctly - crazy world.

Old 07-24-2011   #35
Avotius
Some guy

Its funny how many people here are talking about the Chinese buying up Leica gear.

I agree with this however I have a huge BUT to put in.

The Chinese want new Leica gear, the used Leica market here is totally stagnant, the prices are already so high and the kind of people here who can afford Leica stuff could not give a crap about a few thousand yuan more as the price for used and new is not too far off each other here, you can expect used to go for about 70-90% of new prices even on old stuff. It sucks but its true. I have tried to sell used gear here before but no one bites, even after putting down very fair Ameri/Euro prices on it and they still wont bite. Its what I said, they want new.

Last edited by Avotius : 07-24-2011 at 01:20.

Old 07-24-2011   #36
Peter_Jones

I'd better not reveal how little I paid for my M4, 50/1.4 & DR50

Needless to say, I landed on my feet with that deal ! (BTW I'm keeping it, not trying to make a fast quid)

Old 07-24-2011   #37
menos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avotius View Post
Its funny how many people here are talking about the Chinese buying up Leica gear.

I agree with this however I have a huge BUT to put in.

The Chinese want new Leica gear, the used Leica market here is totally stagnant, the prices are already so high and the kind of people here who can afford Leica stuff could not give a crap about a few thousand yuan more as the price for used and new is not too far off each other here, you can expect used to go for about 70-90% of new prices even on old stuff. It sucks but its true. I have tried to sell used gear here before but no one bites, even after putting down very fair Ameri/Euro prices on it and they still wont bite. Its what I said, they want new.
True, I never saw a high ticket used deal with Chinese customers involved.
The deals, I have witnessed have been about beaten M6s, second hand M8s and rather less costly "first lenses"

The shops do have expensive second stuff though and the development goes, that former big second hand shops expand in selling Leica, but advertise more products as "new" (often, I found, that the stuff in fact has not been "new", when I had a look).

The word "new" slips over sellers lips pretty quickly in China - one has to check carefully.

I found also, that prices in China are going out of range pretty quickly with all my last more expensive items having bought over seas (France, Germany, US).

I finally found that 75 Lux, I have been waiting for such a long time.
If it is the deal, I think, it is, I have just bought a lens, which sells about 30% more in China, than I paid for. I don't intent, to sell it anytime soon, but I would not buy it at such silly prices, as advertised in Shanghai.

The last interesting deal, that has been offered to me in Shanghai made my heart bleed.
A 75 Summicron ASPH in cosmetic user condition with box and papers for a price, one could have bought a new one for just one year ago!

The catch was, that this lens has been sitting clearly a long time in a very, very hot room, resulting in this lens all hazed up with completely dry focus helicoids and dripping wet aperture!

How on earth can a honest seller advertise something cruel as this for such a price?
It needed at least a 300 EUR ticket back at Solms (as no body else will touch this FLE 75mm for a CLA, who is competent and honest enough, to expose this to a potential customer).

China is crazy for buying Leica these days. I have developed myself from a serious upfront buyer in Chinese shops into a shop fondler, often going out empty handed, when some years ago, I only touched an item, when I intended to buy seriously - it's become that bad!

Old 07-24-2011   #38
dfoo

I tried to sell numerous Leica stuff to the used camera markets in Shanghai. An M4-p, an M3, a Summicron 35v3, CV 28/1.9 CV 28/3.5 and a CV 35/1.4. The only one I could actually sell (without giving it away) was the 28/1.9. The remainder, they either don't want to buy it at all or offer a pittance.

Some of my work - http://silverprint.posterous.com/

Old 07-24-2011   #39
Harlee

It's not only the Leicas, I see prices for the lowly Yashica and Olympus models jumping up into the $200+ brackets now. If it's not the price then it's the shipping prices. People out there are trying to make a killing by dumping their 35mm cameras.

Old 07-24-2011   #40
steveyork

It seems a lot of the old, used manual stuff is getting both harder to find and going up in price. The last three or four vintage pieces I sold went to the Far East (China and HK). But always, always use tracking numbers. It's just my experience, but whenever I haven't used a tracking #, and the item goes that direction, the parcels disappears, and, according to the buyer, is never received, necessitating a full refund. International mail, apparently, is very lousy.