Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Off center. Who cares or?
Old 05-13-2019   #1
bert26

Off center. Who cares or?

Hi, had a v4 35 cron fixed by Don G since the shop by my house blew it 3 times (last time they didn’t tighten everything properly). The depth of field scale is a little misaligned and the hood is sitting a little off center but since Don did it this was probably intentional? Is anyone else’s like this? Kinda hard to tell in the pictures that the hood is off but it is. Wondering if I should even give a ****.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147456...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147456...eposted-public

I cannot for the life of me attach images via Flickr right now for some reason.

Last edited by bert26 : 05-13-2019 at 19:48. Reason: Mistake

Old 05-13-2019   #2
bayernfan

Perhaps the lens was damaged or someone messed something up with a previous CLA. I'm surprised Don didn't give any notes with the repair, did you read over the receipt? Or perhaps repairing it just drove him nuts

Old 05-13-2019   #3
bert26

I hate everything

Old 05-14-2019   #4
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert26 View Post
Hi, had a v4 35 cron fixed by Don G since the shop by my house blew it 3 times (last time they didn’t tighten everything properly). The depth of field scale is a little misaligned and the hood is sitting a little off center but since Don did it this was probably intentional? Is anyone else’s like this? Kinda hard to tell in the pictures that the hood is off but it is. Wondering if I should even give a ****.

I cannot for the life of me attach images via Flickr right now for some reason.
It would not be intentional. I had the same lens and the hood should definitively mount dead square and centred and the DOF scale should align correctly with index marks. The problem suggests to me that the lens may not be focusing correctly - Have you checked the focus point on your camera body by taking images?
No matter how good a technician errors get made. The proof of their reputation is in how willingly they volunteer to fix the problem without argument. And frankly if it were mine I doubt I would find it easy to live with - I would want it sorted even if it were only cosmetic - this lens is presently a $2000 lens in the 2nd hand market and you do not expect anything less than perfect for such lenses especially given its maker.

Old 05-14-2019   #5
Fjäll

The whole front of the 35mm V4 is held on by a couple of small screws on the sides. Loosen these, adjust accordingly and tighten them again.

Old 05-14-2019   #6
bert26

He said everything was perfect after he finished the repair. I’ve been without a setup for the better part of a year because my luck is seriously terrible. I’ve shot 7 rolls since getting it back but haven’t processed any of the film. I emailed him asking to have it adjusted. I’m a year into not having a setup. Sold my v3 this time last year cos I found an insane deal on a v4. Bought the v4, DHL held it for a month, when I finally got the lens it was destroyed. Refunded 2 months later. Then this lens arrived with the depth of field scale off as much as it possibly could be, the shop in Portland took 4 tries to fix it and the last time they left everything loose, now this. Also was without my body for 2 months because the pressure plate needed to be replaced and the fog in my VF was driving me nuts. Honestly wondering if I should just throw in the towel. Been behind a lens most my life but maybe this is a sign to just say **** it.

Old 05-14-2019   #7
B-9
Devin Bro

Sounds like you should cut and run.

Skip the Leica next time.

There are other cameras and lenses out there that will not cost thousands of dollars, endless months, and multiple trips to a repairman to work.

Always a few lemons floating around.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 05-14-2019   #8
Steve M.

I agree, at some point you let it go and move on. You could sell that lens for a pretty penny and buy another 35 and start taking photos.

Old 05-14-2019   #9
bert26

Definitely keeping the m6 and since the repair is under warranty, if it isn’t right next time I’ll sell it for another v3. This setup I have is just so perfect for what I do. Fingers crossed. Also I think I may have gotten fired last night from 700 miles away (on vacation.)

Old 05-14-2019   #10
B-9
Devin Bro

I would honestly grab one of those cheap 7Artisan 35/2.0 and look at unloading the V4.

Shoot away while you wait for a good deal on that V3.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 05-14-2019   #11
jsrockit

Grab the new Voigtlander 35mm f2... photography is way more important than supposed magical lens attributes.

Old 05-14-2019   #12
bert26

Got an email back and he said it’s purely a cosmetic issue (and common) and will gladly adjust it and send it right back. But that only should happen if mounting and dismounting using the hood which I know not to do. In fact I’m a one lens kinda guy so once it’s on it stays on and the hood never comes off. Gonna give this one more shot (no pun intended) since I’ve gone through hell and back over this. One more issue and it’s back to a v3. I really really like the protruded aperture ring that the v3 lacks, the smaller size, and the square lens hood. That may sound dumb but that stuff matters to me. Wish me luck. Also wish me luck on finding more shifts somewhere before selling all my other ****

Old 05-14-2019   #13
rfaspen

All I can say is that Don is a "stand up guy". And his work is indeed his reputation -- Excellent. Has always made things right for me.

That shop in Portland (OR?) will not be named, but I have had things returned as complete doorstops that were fully functional when they went in. They are not Leica techs, regardless of what someone tells you (or they say). I'm not trying to tarnish their reputation (much), but I would not recommend them for any Leica service. I think they might be fine for recent Canikon DSLRs.

Hope you didn't get fired

Old 05-15-2019   #14
bert26

He did a fantastic job on my m6 and I definitely trust him to get this back to me within a week. And yeah the shop here in town sucks (we’re talking about the same one). I ended up laying into them and getting a refund.

Old 06-06-2019   #15
bert26

Update: Turns out the index was off because that's how it was set at the factory. Sent back and he was able to file the retainer ring a bit getting it almost perfect, but for some reason, the hood looks more crooked than it did before. Is the hood just warped or something? I know it doesn't matter in practice but these kind of things annoy me. Is it common for 12526 hoods to be a little off? Am I being extremely neurotic?

BEFORE:

[IMG]1C84901A-6CD1-4270-8BC1-94E9F8663939

[IMG]54C34DB6-E3F2-4195-AF49-2485962A7746

AFTER:

[IMG]IMG-2415 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]

[IMG]IMG-2418

[IMG]IMG-2420

Old 06-06-2019   #16
Huss

What bothers me more is the black Leica badge is crooked. And that is waaaaay more noticeable.

Old 06-06-2019   #17
bert26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
What bothers me more is the black Leica badge is crooked. And that is waaaaay more noticeable.
Haha touche. Must've happened during service as I was able to straighten it out just now with my thumbs.

Old 06-06-2019   #18
gavinlg

Honestly that hood being skew would piss me off to no end. I don't think you're being pedantic having it annoy you. Maybe buy a china copy hood from Ebay or try find someone that has another similar hood you can try on it.

Old 06-06-2019   #19
bert26

Okay thanks, it's not just me. I am so confused. The hood looks perfectly fine yet the index is close enough to where it shouldn't be this crooked. ****.

What's weird is that...

Okay when I bought this off eBay like a year ago, it arrived like this:

[IMG]IMG-6127

[IMG]IMG-6126

Dropped it off at a shop and got it back 2 months later. It was still slightly off and since I had paid $250 for the CLA I wanted it perfect (ended up being an awful idea because in hindsight it was good enough and that's when the ****ed my aperture ring up, got some weird blue **** on the aperture blade, and returned the lens put together loose) but it was off about as much as it is now maybe slightly more but it didn't look nearly as bad:

[IMG]IMG-2423

[IMG]IMG-6688

So confused. Again, the factory ****ed up and didn't set it right, and it had to be filed down a bit, but I can't see that causing the problem. God I hope I don't have to send this back again.

Old 06-07-2019   #20
Mute-on

I’ve seen more of these hoods that look crooked than those that look straight. FWIW, the hood looks as good as I’ve ever seen in your first photo of the lens after DAG fixed it.

These plastic hoods are not made with the degree of precision of the earlier metal 12585, etc. The plastic always looks buckled (curves in on 5 sides of the front “box”), which I’ve never liked.

I use a 12585 on my 35 Summaron. It is also meant to fit the Summicron. The nicest metal Leica hood is the 12504, although these can be a bit $$$$.

At least try a 12585. You can rotate it to give the clearest view through one of the three vent cutouts, and I think it looks fantastic.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2019   #21
bert26

Might get a 12524 and if it looks better, sell my 12526 with cap. DAG said that might be a good idea.

I really don’t like the metal circle hoods. Had one on my v3 and it bugged me. The v4 is so prone to flare that the square hoods are the way to go anyway from what I’ve read.

Old 06-07-2019   #22
Fjäll

I had the same problem. A 10 minute job if you have a small screw driver and 10 fingers.

Old 06-07-2019   #23
bert26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjäll View Post
I had the same problem. A 10 minute job if you have a small screw driver and 10 fingers.
Really? I was told by the first shop that the lens needs to be fully disassembled in order to move that ring. How exactly does one do that? And I wonder if it would matter since the ring was filed. A 12524 probably won’t alleviate the issue, huh? Thought maybe just maybe it might because it’s the hood designed for the lens but from what I understand it’s strikingly similar to the 12526 only the 12524 is slightly smaller.

Don said “the only thing that sets the aperture index is a key-way pin and that keyway pin is in the slot that it fits into and there's no other adjustment to that system. All I can do is to file the pin so I can turn the optical head closer to 12:00. But the way you saw the lens when I sent it back is the way it was set at the factory.” And that’s what was done.

So the first shop was full of **** in order to charge more $?

Can anyone provide pictures of the repair process? I am clumsy and not really mechanically inclined unfortunately. I absolutely cannot send it back again for this as I have most likely annoyed the hell out of him by now and I cannot go back to being without my setup even for 10 days.

Old 06-07-2019   #24
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Honestly, I'm totally puzzled by the info the OP shares.

On the one hand there's this:

Quote:
This setup I have is just so perfect for what I do.
But there's also this:
Quote:
I’ve shot 7 rolls since getting it back but haven’t processed any of the film.
And a busload of camera-groin shots.

I'd say if it's such an asset to what you do, why spend months on end sending it away because something does not line up?

And shoot only 7 rolls that don't get developed? The purpose of photography is the image, not the camera, right?

Buckle up Dorothy and go shoot the thing! Who cares whether the hood is 2º off level! Get the image!

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 06-07-2019   #25
bert26

Yeah I’ll just live with it

Old 06-07-2019   #26
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

The hood seems to me to be lined up properly. I think it may be the curve in the top plate that makes it seem crooked. But the bottom edge of the hood looks parallel to the bottom plate. So I think it's OK.

You could get a version I (8 element) Summicron: very sharp, and no chance of the round hood being cockeyed. The versions II and III use round hoods, too. The pre-ASPH Summilux, too.

Old 06-07-2019   #27
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

It won't make your photos worse, or better, for whatever that's worth.

I suppose I'm unlike others in that I can't stand perfect cameras, because I know I'm going to use them and eventually something is going to get scratched or dinged or peel or whatever... better to show some wear already so I don't notice every tiny new thing that appears.

Old 06-07-2019   #28
Fjäll

Quote:
Really? I was told by the first shop that the lens needs to be fully disassembled in order to move that ring. How exactly does one do that? And I wonder if it would matter since the ring was filed. A 12524 probably won’t alleviate the issue, huh? Thought maybe just maybe it might because it’s the hood designed for the lens but from what I understand it’s strikingly similar to the 12526 only the 12524 is slightly smaller.

Don said “the only thing that sets the aperture index is a key-way pin and that keyway pin is in the slot that it fits into and there's no other adjustment to that system. All I can do is to file the pin so I can turn the optical head closer to 12:00. But the way you saw the lens when I sent it back is the way it was set at the factory.” And that’s what was done.

So the first shop was full of **** in order to charge more $?

Can anyone provide pictures of the repair process? I am clumsy and not really mechanically inclined unfortunately. I absolutely cannot send it back again for this as I have most likely annoyed the hell out of him by now and I cannot go back to being without my setup even for 10 days.
Unfortunately I lost my V4 recently otherwise I would've posted you some pictures. But I remember it was a very easy fix. I have disassembled the V4 completely in the past and it's overall a very simple construction apart for the aperture mechanism. Focus the lens to infinity and see if you see any screws appearing on the sides of the barrel. These are what holds the front part in place. These are also the screws that needs to be tightened to fix the infamous loose front issue on this lens.

Old 06-08-2019   #29
bert26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
The hood seems to me to be lined up properly. I think it may be the curve in the top plate that makes it seem crooked. But the bottom edge of the hood looks parallel to the bottom plate. So I think it's OK.

You could get a version I (8 element) Summicron: very sharp, and no chance of the round hood being cockeyed. The versions II and III use round hoods, too. The pre-ASPH Summilux, too.
you're referring to this image, yeah?

[IMG]IMG-2420 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/1474568[email protected]/]

And honestly there's no way I'll sell this lens now. Long story short I sold my v3 a year ago because I found a v4 for something like $1200 shipped from Belgium. Arrived with the glass destroyed from DHL. The whole DHL holding it and getting paid back thing was like a 3 month process. Then I paid the going rate for this one and it arrived ****ed. Then yeah blah blah blah back and forth back and forth. Thinking about going through the hassle of selling it and everything drives me insane.

Whatever, it's a bit off. Rather it wasn't but I don't trust myself to realign it slightly. I will 100% without question **** it up. A joy to shoot with, just sort of annoying after all the **** I dealt with for a year.

Old 06-08-2019   #30
jonmanjiro

Save yourself the angst, and use a round hood? Either the 12504 or 12585 (or cheap knockoff) should work with your lens.

Old 06-08-2019   #31
David Hughes
David Hughes

Isn't it odd how the reaction to a problem with a Leica or Contax lens differs wildly from the reaction to a similar problem with a FED or Kiev's lens? I wonder why...

Regards, David

Old 06-08-2019   #32
bert26

Last post regarding this but t he reason it's off isn't the hood, it's because the index was off straight from the factory but the clip was dead center. Had to be filed off center a bit to the right to line it up the index which causes the hood to be off. Bothers me more but I should have realized that. I'll shoot with it until I go home early next year get it centered then live without iit for a couple weeks. Doesn't matter when shooting but this kinda stuff bothers me. You should see how perfectly dialed I got my turntable.

Old 06-13-2019   #33
bert26

So will a 12585 hood work with this lens if i'm using a filter? I don't like round hoods but guess I'm ****ed. Will it work as well as the square hood? My camera is fine to shoot with but every time I set it down or look at it I start fuming.

Old 06-13-2019   #34
gavinlg

Round hood should work similarly - any differences will be too small to notice.

Old 06-13-2019   #35
bert26

Word thanks

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #36
bert26

Hey so I think the real issue is the symmetry on the outermost ring (where the hood clips in) being off. The length between 2 and 5.6 is longer than the length between 5.6 and 16. Maybe the photo doesn’t do the best job of showing it, but it is the case. Could it actually be the hood? Thinking about getting a 12524 if I can ever find one that hasn’t been sitting on eBay for months overpriced as hell and if it’s better or just as off, I’ll sell the 12526 with cap. I hate lens caps anyway. The index is almost perfectly aligned (maybe slightly off to the right) but I think the way it was set at the factory might be the issue here...

66E85202-1C52-4261-A596-C38C8EB3D547

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #37
Contarama

Idk other than no...not acceptable...even on a red camera. That would just ruin my whole zeitgist

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #38
bert26

Hmmmmmmmmm