Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Help / Feedback forum

Help / Feedback forum This area should address site improvements and help with the forum.

RFF Gallery is dead?
Old 06-05-2019   #1
bushwick1234

RFF Gallery is dead?

Is the RFF Gallery agonizing?
My wish: long live the Gallery!

Old 06-05-2019   #2
Out to Lunch

If it ain't dead...it sure smells funny. Fix it.

Old 06-05-2019   #3
lynnb

The RFF Gallery contains a lot of treasures from the past and will continue to do so if members remember to support it... an open invitation to please contribute to the Gallery!
Flickr

Old 06-05-2019   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I check it few times per week, post once in a while.
I see not so much change from few years ago.

Old 06-05-2019   #5
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Loading images to the gallery is more difficult than it should be. Make it easy and it will flourish.

Old 06-05-2019   #6
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
Loading images to the gallery is more difficult than it should be. Make it easy and it will flourish.
Yep …. that`s why I stopped using it .

Old 06-05-2019   #7
Greg Maslak

The Gallery is the main reason I joined RFF.

Of course, the W/NW threads are terrific and I'll link photos over occasionally, but I always begin my time at RFF at the gallery. I look forward to seeing what everyone chooses to post; what they value in their own pictures they chose to share. I've come to admire a group of regulars whose work is consistently excellent and I'm not to humble to admit, I'm proud when someone likes my contributions and comments favourably.

I don't know that much about different cameras and lenses, so for me, the Gallery and the "Picks of the Week..." are the heart of the site.

Now, if only I could figure out how to get my pictures to zoom out, I'd be all set.

Old 06-05-2019   #8
hendriphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
What he said.

Old 06-05-2019   #9
Michael Markey

Not uploaded for a few years so just tried again .
I remember now ….. takes a long time to respond and then the images are considered to large so everything has to be resized.

Old 06-05-2019   #10
lynnb

What's the main difficulty people are having uploading to the gallery?
Flickr

RFF Gallery is dead?
Old 06-05-2019   #11
maigo

RFF Gallery is dead?

The gallery (and classifieds and threads with hundreds or more posts) do not work on the Tapatalk app. The app is my RFF contact point 99pc of the time.
So I miss out on the gallery posts and the GAS in classifieds and What have you bought? thread.
If there were a way to contribute $$ towards a modern forum mobile friendly platform (xenforo? vbulletin?) I would be happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-05-2019   #12
B-9
Devin Bro

Photrio is doing is better IMHO

Images are easy to post on threads.

They maintain a Instagram where users can tag their own photos and have them shared on the front page of the site.

I literally go to Photrio to upload my images just so I can grab a image url to post on RFF.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Cumersome website
Old 06-05-2019   #13
DennisM

Cumersome website

I find the RFF website cumbersome; have not posted pictures on the gallery but have submitted posts and have responded to inquiries on for-sale items. More often than not a posted reply is not successfully posted and I have to resubmit. All-in-all, not a user-friendly site.

Old 06-05-2019   #14
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
My complaint with the Gallery is it is a royal pain to upload compared even to Flickr, I tag my photos with relevent camera, lens, film, developer, location hashtags. They automatically upload with the photo. Easy Peasy. Also I post to my blog three times a week and I rather have my photos in an environment I have some semblenace of control where if RFF's servers were to hiccup and I lose my images, not so much fun.

Old 06-05-2019   #15
Michael Markey

I`ve just been trying to upload again …. takes ages to respond and even after making the file as small as I can it still rejects it.

Ergo I can`t see the point …. I`d rather post to the threads

Old 06-05-2019   #16
j.scooter

Yeah not so much activity in the Gallery a weeks’ worth of pics are contained to 3 pages at 40 per page. A couple of years ago it was 5.

The Gallery Picks thread isn’t fairing much better, nowadays doesn’t exceed 1 page and three pages were the norm not too long ago.

Hopefully this trend doesn’t continue.
Long live the gallery and the picks of the week, they make this site special and not just all about gear.

Old 06-05-2019   #17
Axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
Yeah not so much activity in the Gallery a weeks’ worth of pics are contained to 3 pages at 40 per page. A couple of years ago it was 5.

The Gallery Picks thread isn’t fairing much better, nowadays doesn’t exceed 1 page and three pages were the norm not too long ago.

Hopefully this trend doesn’t continue.
Long live the gallery and the picks of the week, they make this site special and not just all about gear.

The overall quality of the gallery pictures is the best ever nowadays.
Maybe the quantity drops. Perhaps it is a feature that there is no "bulk loading"-function?

Just my 5 cents

Old 06-05-2019   #18
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I don't see that the gallery's relative clunkyness is the entire cause of slow activity ... that's a problem that has numerous factors in it's roots in my opinion. I also really don't think it's all that hard to upload images provided you size them correctly but that said I've been here a long time and know all it's foibles of which there are plenty. A new member would find it a challenge I suspect which is probably why I see the same old same old faces in the gallery day after day.

I do agree with a comment above about the over all website being a bit ho hum. That's an understatement ... it's a dinosaur in reality and I think it's about time it was dragged into 2019.

Old 06-05-2019   #19
nickthetasmaniac

I've tried to upload to the gallery a few times during my membership at RFF. Always ended up getting caught by some snag my technophobe mind can't handle and giving up. It is honestly one of the clunkiest bits of forum I've used, and I'm on a lot of forums. As someone else mentioned, the Photrio gallery is a breeze in comparison.

In the end I just post to the countless W/NW and lens/camera/travel etc. image threads.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 06-05-2019   #20
bushwick1234

Quote:
Long live the gallery and the picks of the week, they make this site special...
That is right!

Old 06-05-2019   #21
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
.....I do agree with a comment above about the over all website being a bit ho hum. That's an understatement ... it's a dinosaur in reality and I think it's about time it was dragged into 2019.
Oh yeah. I know nothing about forum-hosting software, but other forums I’m on (not just photo-related) seem to update their software every few years. Some of the changes can be substantial too. You get the expected complaining from many users for a few weeks, but then the bugs are worked out, everybody eventually gets used to the new software, and all is well.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 06-05-2019   #22
jarski

Every time forum software update has been suggested or trial software demoed, it has met considerable resistance.

Old 06-05-2019   #23
Bill Clark

Uploading photos is nada for me. I gave up a long time ago.

An example:
I can’t upload any photos from my iPad because it says the file name is too big! Go figure.

Old 06-05-2019   #24
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

I don't mind the slightly cumbersome interface for uploading photos. Most web galleries need a little bit of a barrier to entry.

I value RFF mostly for the exchange of pictures. threads seem more lifely than the gallery, but that isn't necessarily a problem.

I have been uploading less to the gallery in the last year, but that is life getting in the way, not any fault of the forum.

Old 06-05-2019   #25
MP Guy
Just another face in the crowd

How easy would you want it to be ?

I could add a gallery like the www.leicaimages.com to RFF and replace the old software but it would be a large undertaking. Try using the leicaimages gallery to see if you like it then convince Mr Gandy to go with it.

Something that would make the transition a lot easier is if we could use separate accounts. That way, I don't have to integrate the rff account into the new gallery. It's because I designed it to be a stand alone gallery.

www.leicaimages.com
www.ZeissImages.com
www.l-mountimages.com

Developer of the RFF gallery Software and some other cool stuff.

Old 06-06-2019   #26
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP Guy View Post
Something that would make the transition a lot easier is if we could use separate accounts. That way, I don't have to integrate the rff account into the new gallery. It's because I designed it to be a stand alone gallery.
Seperate accounts seems like a way of making an already clunky forum even more clunky...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 06-06-2019   #27
Bill Clark

Quote:
How easy would you want it to be ?
As easy as Facebook!

When I had my business I made it easy peasy for my clients to look at their photos and do various things that they wanted to do. Such as ordering prints. Also, maybe even getting new business from prospective clients.

Are you up to doing the task?

Smiles.

Old 06-08-2019   #28
MP Guy
Just another face in the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
As easy as Facebook!

When I had my business I made it easy peasy for my clients to look at their photos and do various things that they wanted to do. Such as ordering prints. Also, maybe even getting new business from prospective clients.

Are you up to doing the task?

Smiles.
Ordering custom print sizes will be an option that has been worked on. I have been looking for a reliable 3rd party vendor to provide the printing service by sending images directly from the gallery to them and accepting paypal.

www.leicaimages.com
www.ZeissImages.com
www.l-mountimages.com

Developer of the RFF gallery Software and some other cool stuff.

Old 06-08-2019   #29
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel100 View Post
The overall quality of the gallery pictures is the best ever nowadays.
Maybe the quantity drops. Perhaps it is a feature that there is no "bulk loading"-function?

Just my 5 cents
I agree! Now can we also restrict the number of pictures a user can post in a thread? Kidding, most threads have wonderful pictures, we do want some threads where someone showcases ongoing quality work and I can ignore the one or two of the one-man shows that I don't enjoy.
That said, I do find uploading a bit clunky, but the main reason I don't post much in the gallery nor in threads is that I only do darkroom prints these days and don't have a scanner.

Old 06-08-2019   #30
daveoo

I don't get much time to post and/or comment because of work, so I come and go.

I am making an export to RFF preset in Capture 1 and it is starting to get refined. This basically limits file size to less than 500K and goes to an Export RFF folder on my Mac desktop. Some metadata is left in the file for camera and lens.

With the RFF Upload Page I click "find file" and navigation comes up so I go to desktop then Export RFF folder and select file. Maybe then title the file. I keep the Export RFF folder clean so I can find files easily. This is a one at a time selection for up to five files. One file takes about 4-5 seconds.

I can understand the file size limit to reduce server space and present low resolution files if someone can steal the file.

If a file size is too big the upload page freezes and I hit the back button in Safari.

I find it harder to upload to a thread for some reason.

The gallery for me is a historical record of any photographic progress I might be making since I moved from the "Everybody stand still" type of photos.

Old 06-23-2019   #31
Greg Maslak

Question: How do you use "fit/full zoom"? I see other people's pictures enlarge when I click on the zoom, but I can't figure it out for my own posts. Sometimes the option appears, sometimes not, but it doesn't do anything. I always upload from file at the maximum resolution allowed around 700 pixels on the long side.

What is the best way to upload photos to the Gallery?

Old 06-23-2019   #32
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

I’ve been away from RFF and the gallery for a few months during a cross country move. I’ve learned more from the best work there (and from W/NW threads) than from most of the gearaholic chat elsewhere on the site.

However: since 2017, probably like more than a few of you, I’ve been able do my Lightroom work on iPhone (and iPad), and save that work to my Photos, but even the minimum save-size there is larger than RFF permits. This is inconvenient and as Keith suggests, sure isn’t 2019. Like Michael Markey and Johann Niels Kuiper, I can post to Instagram easily from my phone. RFF Gallery necessitates time on the desktop and special resizing as price of participation. I’ll return to it when I get my photo-space set up in the new home, because I enjoy the work of friends and colleagues there and want to contribute my best to that sub community.

But: If the participant pool is shrinking, that’s a signal of folks giving up on tech-obstacles, no?

http://rhl.photography

Old 06-23-2019   #33
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
Not uploaded for a few years so just tried again .
I remember now ….. takes a long time to respond and then the images are considered to large so everything has to be resized.
Yes it would be an improvement to accept larger files. It would make it easier and better.

Old 06-23-2019   #34
Michael Markey

Well this thread has caused me to go back and look at the gallery again.
I`ve been missing out …. wonderful collection of shots .
No matter that the tech - obstacles (well phrased Robert) prevent me from contributing ,its still a great asset to the site.

Old 06-24-2019   #35
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
+1

I like the quality of most of the photos in the gallery. I like the gallery as it is, I prefer to look at less photos but with higher quality. We have many authors whose style can be soon recognized, we have sometime new photographers posting, different styles, different interests...yes I like the gallery!

The pictures of the week and the w/no words threads complete the photo offer here oft with interesting images.

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 06-24-2019   #36
raid
Dad Photographer

I agree with Robert here. I also like the gallery. I have deliberately slowed down in posting new images there.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-24-2019   #37
CharlesDAMorgan

Just figured out how to post, once I cut the file size, no issue.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar all gone.

Old 06-24-2019   #38
Richard Berter

takes a long time to respond and then the images are considered to large so everything has to be resized. I like the gallery will try to post more

Old 07-04-2019   #39
jwc57

One of the reasons I don't contribute photos is due to having to resize the image several times to get it to upload. This is a problem I don't have elsewhere.

Old 07-04-2019   #40
Axel

When I print I have to consider the size. And when I show a photo online I have to consider the
size also. I think that is more a problem of understanding than one of the gallery here.