Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Old 05-31-2019   #41
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
It looks huge on images, how it is in real handling? Like walking with it every day on one week trip. I'm using neck strap or keep it in the backpack while I"m working.
It handles better than any other M outside the M7 as it's all about function, not form.
It's bigger, but it's not huge. An M9/M-E is bigger/heavier.

Here is my M5 next to a Minolta CLE (tiny), and the best AE RF camera ever - the Agfa Optima 1535 (even tinier)

Old 05-31-2019   #42
nickthetasmaniac

I know it's just a bit of pot stirring fun, but the article rings (mostly) true for me.

Pretty... I find the M2 the most elegant Leica from an industrial design perspective. None of the M3's clunky bevels, none of the M4's slanted rewind or plastic bits, none of the M5's shoebox aesthetic, and none of the M6's fiddly battery door or (shock horror) obnoxious red dot. Even the frame counter looks good.

Viewfinder, well I shoot 28mm. End of story.

Price, not a big difference, but not interested in paying more for a camera that is less (for me).

Hipsterdom/not an M3. I'm not convinced by this point. The hipsters are shooting Yashica RF's and AE1's. Only a Leicaphile is going to pick the difference between an M3/2 on the street...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
c'mon, the argument is irrelevant because nobody who buys a Leica is going to have only one Lecia.
Just the one for me. Oddly enough Leica has been my anti-GAS - my M2 is perfect and I've never felt the need for anything else/more. Pentax on the other hand, they just seem to breed in my cupboard...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 05-31-2019   #43
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
"We should collect them all" (Huss) On the contrary: We should use them all.

K.F. I found them big & awkward in the hands, totally unlike any other like i had used....some people likes that. It didn't work for me. Kind of like an F4 Nikon after years of using an F with plain prism.
I'm afraid M5 VF is not close enough to the edge. Then it like this my schobel get squeezed or I have to turn head.

Old 05-31-2019   #44
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
I'm afraid M5 VF is not close enough to the edge. Then it like this my schobel get squeezed or I have to turn head.
my M5 with the MP viewfinder is just fine

Old 05-31-2019   #45
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
I had that concern when I first got my M5, but in actual use I find it to be not a problem. The M5 seems to be the only way to get a properly sized 50mm frameline together with a built-in meter.

Old 05-31-2019   #46
Huss

Quote:

No matter what kamera we are discussing, 'you' really need to pick it up in person and see how it feels to see if it would be a good fit.
My beautiful black Kiev 4am? Miserable to use. Gonna sell mine.

Old 05-31-2019   #47
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Some"Best" Leicas from my personal experience:

M2: 35mm Summilux, Summicron, or Summaron; any 50mm; 90mm Elmarit (or Elmar)
M3: 50mm Noctilux, 75mm Summilux plus external finder; 90mm Summicron; 135mm
M4: same as M2
M5: any 35mm; 50mm f/1.4 or f/2; 90mm Elmarit
M6 with 0.58 finder: Any 28mm or 35mm for eyeglass wearers
M7 or MP with 0.58 finder: see M6 with 0.58 finder

Best small size Leica: The IIIc with Voigtlander lens and external finder

This is just me, now, OK?

Old 05-31-2019   #48
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
VF magnification doesn't impact focusing accuracy. Focusing accuracy is dictated by the distance between the beam splitters -which is the same for all M series.

VF magnification doesn't help you focusing. The RF patch is same size and aligning the split image is again independent of magnification.

But finally we all know the M4 was the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
No, also the magnification of the image is important here, see the difference of the rangefinders on the Leicas II and III with screw mount.

Erik.
It's not just a matter of focusing ease but system accuracy. Erik is right. The screw mount Leicas have a pathetic physical baselength. The only reason they work so well is because the optical magnification is massive.

You are partly right in that the physical baselength is still important Mark. Theoretically, given the choice, a long physical baselength is the superior way to manufacture a highly accurate rangefinder. Why? Because any mechanical means of driving a beam deflector will have manufacturing tolerances. If you take two different systems, one with a moderate degree of magnification but a long physical baselength; the other, vice-versa, the second will have to made to tighter manufacturing tolerances than the first to achieve the same accuracy. Why? Because by using optical magnification to achieve a large effective baselength—it will unavoidably be magnifying any errors induced by production tolerances of the deflector drive system. A point rarely considered.

The screw mount Leicas get away with it because Leitz obviously achieved a level of manufacturing precision sufficient to preserve the accuracy of their rangefinder installations, despite the substantial magnification used and credit to them for that.

But there is more to rangefinder accuracy than even the right degree of manufacturing precision and a large physical baselength. The ratio of gearing of the system greatly impacts accuracy also. Ie the lower geared the beam deflector drive system is, the more accurate it will be.

So...to produce a rangefinder of not just good, or even excellent, but, superlative precision, you need: a huge effective baselength relying more on physical size, than magnification; excellent precision in manufacture equalling, say Leitz, and; a beam deflector that must rotate through the widest possible arc (Ie gearing). Fortunately one manufacturer produced just such a design and it featured a beam deflector which had to travel four times as far as the screw mount Leica equivalent, which, together with its massive EBL, produced a system of such accuracy it has never been equalled, let alone surpassed.

Old 05-31-2019   #49
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Read the article. Meh! To each their own.

Out of the three Leicas that I still own my 1932 Leica II is my go to camera. With a 50 Elmar the Model II is essentially a compact 35 mm that takes almost no space in my messenger bag and is lighter than my M2, which I'll usually use with a 50 Summicron.

For many years, I had both an early production M3 and the M2. The M3, in my opinion, has a superior build.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and a Voigtlander Vito II
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 05-31-2019   #50
Monochrom

4 reasons

1. RF VF prism is better glued and mirror is more resistant if it splits

2. 0.72 mag can take 28mm lenses easily although there are no frames for such length.

3. Frame counter totally brass, easier and more resistant than the glass loup of the m3

4. The quality of manufacture is top notch but solutions inside are better designed after the experience of the m3. For instance there is a sprocket inside that transmit lever force into the mecanism, in the m2 that sprocket has a coil that helps to damp sudden force into the advance mechanism. And if jammed you can simply push the sprocket up and the whoile mech gets freed.

To me the m2 is the best of all M´s. Second is the M5

Old 05-31-2019   #51
Mute-on

I think I really ought to track down an M3 just so I’ll have a body suitable for use with my 90mm lenses.

For 35 and 50 the M2 really is an absolute delight. However, for 90mm, it is totally impractical for me. Tried a magnifier and keep poking myself in the eye

OTOH, a 0.58 VF with a 35mm lens is almost better than all of them ........

Old 05-31-2019   #52
WJJ3

Quote:
I sold another two film M and will keep just one, because of the CLA cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Just the one for me. Oddly enough Leica has been my anti-GAS - my M2 is perfect and I've never felt the need for anything else/more. Pentax on the other hand, they just seem to breed in my cupboard...

Fair enough. I guess that's what I get for saying nobody

Flickr

Old 05-31-2019   #53
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
The image is too big, you can not oversee the whole image at once. When you look at the right, you don't see the left and vice versa. Try it. To see the whole is important for the composition. The composition is everything in 35mm photography.

Erik.

I second this, and this is one of the things I really enjoy about using a rangefinder camera. I like seeing the frameline rectangle projected onto the view with room to spare, and positioning it on the scene where I feel like it. For this reason the M3 is not the ideal camera for shooting a 50mm for me, I think the 0.85 finder is the best for that.

But in practice I use all kinds of lenses on my M3, shoot SLRs, use a variety of external finders and scale focus cameras etc...

Flickr

Old 05-31-2019   #54
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
I think I really ought to track down an M3 just so I’ll have a body suitable for use with my 90mm lenses.

[...]

OTOH, a 0.58 VF with a 35mm lens is almost better than all of them ........

agree wholeheartedly with these two points

Flickr

Old 05-31-2019   #55
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
I don't want to start a war, but ...

Wouldn't the M-A be one of the best film M ever built? I don't see much love on this forum for the M-A and I always wondered why. I don't have one, but as soon as Leica announces that they will stop producing it (which they certainly will very soon), I'll buy one. Hard to justify almost $5k for a film camera, I know.
the MA sucks, actually
my friend's MA shows issues after about one year
and he found out that, Leica use the same chassis of the MP for the -new-MA
They just cover the battery compartment with a piece of brass and over the time, it gets oxidised.
IMO Leica did really bad job here and it shows that their film cameras are not sold very well as expected.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 05-31-2019   #56
WJJ3

This is the best way to set up your M3:

MEM on my M3

M3+MEM+ITOOY

Flickr

Old 05-31-2019   #57
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

I use the Noctilux on my M2 and M7. Never had any issue with focusing accuracy. I agree with Erik that the extra “space” outside 50mm framelines in a 0.72 VF helps in composition (I wear glasses) but this is a matter of personal preference.

Old 05-31-2019   #58
Mute-on

Quote:

MEM on my M3

M3+MEM+ITOOY
Ahhhhhhhhh, yep.

You are killing me, Will

Old 05-31-2019   #59
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
the MA sucks, actually
my friend's MA shows issues after about one year
and he found out that, Leica use the same chasis of the MP for the -new-MA
They just cover the battery compartment with a piece of brass and over the time, it gets oxydised.
IMO Leica did really bad job here and it shows that their film cameras are not sold very well as exepcted.

Can't see the image. Can you repost it? I tried to view it on my iphone and my mac with no luck.

I think it is really obvious that the M-A is the MP w/o the meter, so why would Leica create a new chassis? It's the exact same camera but with no electrics and a better set of frame lines. I have no issues w mine.

Old 05-31-2019   #60
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Can't see the image. Can you repost it? I tried to view it on my iphone and my mac with no luck.

I think it is really obvious that the M-A is the MP w/o the meter, so why would Leica create a new chassis? It's the exact same camera but with no electrics and a better set of frame lines. I have no issues w mine.

Here you are. I attached one more photo to show how the oxidizing affects the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 05-31-2019   #61
raid
Dad Photographer

I used to mainly use a 50mm Summicron. The M3 was my choice. It is not up to anyone to tell me otherwise. It is a beautiful camera. I later on got an M6. Not an M2.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-31-2019   #62
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
Here you are. I attached one more photo to show how the oxidizing affects the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmm. I saw the outline of the battery cover on a few of the early production M-As, and those also had the shutter speed dial from the MP! This was funny because it had the OFF position for the meter, even though the M-A doesnt have a meter.
It seems that Leica improved the build after the early ones as mine has zero issues. And here is a close up of the same area:

Before you suggest poor Leica quality, my brand spankin' new Nikon Z7 just came back from a recall repair... There is a thread on it in the Nikon mirrorless section.

Old 06-01-2019   #63
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The sad fact is that the best M mount RF camera is actually a Zeiss Ikon in my opinion. I can't believe I was stupid enough to sell mine a few years back!

Old 06-01-2019   #64
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The sad fact is that the best M mount RF camera is actually a Zeiss Ikon in my opinion. I can't believe I was stupid enough to sell mine a few years back!
You know the saying about opinions don't you?

Everyone is entitled to one.

I should have tried one when they were 'cheap', I'm sure I would have liked it.

Old 06-01-2019   #65
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
You know the saying about opinions don't you?

Everyone is entitled to one.

I should have tried one when they were 'cheap', I'm sure I would have liked it.

Exactly, which is why I was careful to include the words ... "in my opinion!"

No desire to be a victim of the Leica M lynch mob! lol

Old 06-01-2019   #66
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:

M3+MEM+ITOOY

f2.8 lens this huge? Looks like M5 lens.

Old 06-01-2019   #67
Deardorff38

Quote:

K.F. it is a 90mm f 4

Old 06-01-2019   #68
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
K.F. it is a 90mm f 4
Makes sense now.

Old 06-01-2019   #69
Deardorff38

maybe..... but an M3 with a 90 leaves me cold... one of the last combos i would use. 90 just doesn't work for me

Old 06-01-2019   #70
muser53
MUSER53

The casualphotophile seems to have forgotten the old adage Different strokes (even double strokes) for different folks.
His "review" recalls one I recently read regarding an Audi A6 where the reviewer's first criticism was the cup holders were too small. Not to be to snarky but how inane can you get?

Old 06-01-2019   #71
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser53 View Post
The casualphotophile seems to have forgotten the old adage Different strokes (even double strokes) for different folks.
His "review" recalls one I recently read regarding an Audi A6 where the reviewer's first criticism was the cup holders were too small. Not to be to snarky but how inane can you get?
I don't think the author has forgotten anything. It's probably worth re-reading the Editor's Note right at the start of the article, particularly this bit:

'...I wanted to clarify that this tongue-in-cheek article is more of a silly conversation starter than a true examination into which Leica is best.'

And not to be snarky, but if I spent $100k on a car, I'd be pretty annoying if my cup didn't fit

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 06-01-2019   #72
WJJ3

Quote:
maybe..... but an M3 with a 90 leaves me cold... one of the last combos i would use. 90 just doesn't work for me

Well for shooting a 90mm on a rangefinder, the M3 must the best camera to use, but it's definitely a challenging lens to use on its own. I usually use mine to compliment my 35mm on a trip.

The last time I went out on a photo walk with just the 90 I got a couple shots I was happy with.

Snow suit sanpo

Seppi

Flickr

Old 06-01-2019   #73
WJJ3

Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense now.

I didn't get it Ko Fe. Does the lens look huge, and therefore more suitable for an M5? It does look kinda big in the photo with the ITOOY hood mounted because I shot it up close with my iPhone, and the perspective makes it look bigger than it is. This photo shows the compact size of the MEM better:

MEM on my M3

Flickr

Old 06-02-2019   #74
Richard G

I like using the SVGOO accessory finder with my 90s. Works great in static situations where the focus needn’t change and the subject is several metres away. Much more pleasing to frame the shot this way.

Old 06-02-2019   #75
steveyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
VF magnification doesn't impact focusing accuracy. Focusing accuracy is dictated by the distance between the beam splitters -which is the same for all M series.

VF magnification doesn't help you focusing. The RF patch is same size and aligning the split image is again independent of magnification.

But finally we all know the M4 was the best.
I don't believe this is accurate. All things being equal, the larger the viewfinder mag on a manual camera, the easier to focus. But as a practical matter, they both have sufficient viewfinder magnification for most purposes.

Having owned both an M3 and multiple 0.72 Ms, ranging from M4 to M7, it really is a toss up, and "best" (for you) really depends on your main focal lengths.

"Better" relative to an SLR is probably the 0.72 Ms, because shooting a wide-angle on a rangefinder is really where the advantage lies.

What do I now though. Just sold my last M (an M3).

Old 06-02-2019   #76
oldwino

So, we are all in agreement? The M2 is the best of the M series?

Now, which is better, the original III or the IIIg?

beckmeyerphotographs.format.com
current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 06-02-2019   #77
Erik van Straten

The IIIg is one of the very best Leicas, but unfortunely the M-lenses cannot be used on the camera.

Erik.

Old 06-02-2019   #78
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwino View Post
So, we are all in agreement? The M2 is the best of the M series?

Now, which is better, the original III or the IIIg?
From photographer POV, one which has metal VF, RF lenses holder. Those with plastic will have it fall off and lose one of the lens (which are no available as part anymore). Plastic from fifties is not something to relay on in 2019. You could replace it with third party holder, but then lens is gone, it is gone.

Old 06-02-2019   #79
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
click bait

The real purpose is increasing web traffic - which of course it is.
Of course it is click bait, that's what the internet is.

I really like casualphotophile.com
They have great articles which are really well written and deeply researched.
Their writing staff puts other sites to shame.
And occasionally they have fun articles like this one (which they state is tongue in cheek) so it balances well with their other content.

I mean, who else gives an in depth review of stuff like this?:

https://www.casualphotophile.com/201...amera-company/

Old 06-02-2019   #80
bushwick1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
click bait

The real purpose is increasing web traffic - which of course it is.
Click bait or not I love the contributions so far.