Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Bulk loading 122m/400ft roll help
Old 05-30-2019   #1
Guy Pinhas

Bulk loading 122m/400ft roll help

Hello all.

I have been bulk loading for a few years and have no problem doing the usual 30.5m/100ft roll with my bulk loader.

But: I recently bought 122m/400ft roll as I could get it for a good price and I wasn’t really thinking of how to bulk load that monster. I kept the cores of my other bulk loading rolls so that’s a start. I am just not sure how proceed further. Doing that in a change bag doesn’t sound that feasible as it will take quite some time. Go into a dark room and take the film out of the can and meter it and split it in four equal smaller reels?

Any advice you bulk loading people out there could give would be very much appreciated!

Guy.

Old 05-30-2019   #2
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

Best thing to do is pick up some old movie film winders, especially since you hopefully saved the old reels and tins from other bulk rolls. If you wind it onto your smaller reels by hand it will take you forever. Trust me. I have two winders attached to a 1x2 (small board) and clamp that to a counter in the darkroom when I want to do the respooling. You might need a spacer to put in the 400' reel to make it a smoother operation.

Old 05-30-2019   #3
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
Best thing to do is pick up some old movie film winders, especially since you hopefully saved the old reels and tins from other bulk rolls. If you wind it onto your smaller reels by hand it will take you forever. Trust me. I have two winders attached to a 1x2 (small board) and clamp that to a counter in the darkroom when I want to do the respooling. You might need a spacer to put in the 400' reel to make it a smoother operation.
Thanks for the reply PRJ. Sounds like this is not going to be simple. I saved the cores, the plastic reel that the film is wound around but not the tins. I am not worried about the tins as I'll put those 30.5m/100ft rolls in several light tight thick black plastic bags and tape them nice and tight.
That said, I think I need to reach out to some movie industry folks and see if they can help. I "know" a few guys that still use projectors etc. I guess the darkness in which we need to operate is key.

Old 05-30-2019   #4
bob338

Hey Guy. Where ya been?

I have done this with 400' rolls of Double XX many times. You can do it in a changing bag in a dark room, or in a darkroom with no lights on. I have always done it by hand, guessing at the length based on the size of the tin I put the film in.

If you can find an old 200' bulk loader, the job is so much easier, you just have to split the roll in half. 200' loaders are hard to find, but usually very cheap.

Bob

Old 05-30-2019   #5
bob338

This.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-200-F...4AAOSw4OJc3xwi

You can order it sent to me and I'll forward it to you if they won't ship to A'dam.

Old 05-30-2019   #6
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I use the movie film winder method above. Slow and steady.

Old 05-30-2019   #7
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob338 View Post
Hey Guy. Where ya been?

I have done this with 400' rolls of Double XX many times. You can do it in a changing bag in a dark room, or in a darkroom with no lights on. I have always done it by hand, guessing at the length based on the size of the tin I put the film in.

If you can find an old 200' bulk loader, the job is so much easier, you just have to split the roll in half. 200' loaders are hard to find, but usually very cheap.

Bob
Bob! Damn man it's been forever and a day! Thanks for the tip and will hit you up via PM!

Old 05-30-2019   #8
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Try getting ahold of 100' 35mm daylight reels.
They hold about 110' easily and will fit in most 35mm film dispenser.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 05-30-2019   #9
Nokton48

I bought a 100' roll of current Tri-X and it came with the "100 foot daylight load Kodak" reel.

Like would go into a 100' 35mm Arriflex hollywood movie camera. Makes bulk loading 100 foot rolls from 400 foot slow, but very doable. Music helps

I have a formica table in my darkroom that I use for film loading of all types. All you need is a roll long enough to getstart. I do 100 feet or so at a time.

Go slowly and methodically.

Old 05-30-2019   #10
Guy Pinhas

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I think I am well on my way to a solution. Will show some results of bulk loading soon.