removing frame lines from m6
Old 05-24-2019   #1
bert26

removing frame lines from m6

Hi,

Might be sending out my M6 to get the MP upgrade. Even though I shoot at 1600 a lot of the time and zone focus, when I'm not doing that, I miss enough shots to make it worth it. Was toying with the idea of having the 90mm, 135mm, and 75mm frame lines removed but am on the fence. I've used only a 35mm on this camera since I bought it four years ago except for a couple of months when I had a collapsable 50mm Summicron which I ended up selling. I found it quite pleasant not having these frame lines when I used my friend's m2 but am wondering if I'd regret it for some reason.. Anyone of ya'll get them removed?

Old 05-24-2019   #2
Mute-on

I’ve had 28 and 75 framelines removed from a later replacement frameline mask used in an earlier camera. This was to maintain originality rather than for practicality. In hindsight I would have possibly been wise to keep them for greater versatility, although I do prefer unpaired framelines.

In your shoes, I would happily have the 135 framelines removed to provide an M2 35mm view. My 0.58 MP also has unpaird 35mm framelines and it is, as you say, very pleasant to have the uncluttered view.

In any event, a 135mm lens uses a goggled magnifier to allow proper framing and focussing. Given that most M users will not use longer than 90mm, you could easily do without the 135 frames and be no worse off at resale, if that is a concern.

I would keep the 75 and 90 for versatility, if nothing else. If you must have unpaired framelines for a 50, then have the 75 framelines removed, but since you don’t use a 50, I wouldn’t bother.

Cheers,

J

Old 05-24-2019   #3
Archlich

Had my two M7's 75 and 135 lines "removed". It's just taping up the frame line mask so the process is fully reversible.

Old 05-25-2019   #4
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Years ago the frame lines for one lens irritated and I blocked them by putting four thin strips of black sticky plastic tape on the translucent window. You can find the exact position by moving (say) a matchstick across the frosted grey window and seeing where it has to be to block the light to the frameline.

The advantage is that you can easily remove the tape to sell it or when the other lens is used. Have fun.

Regards, David

Old 05-25-2019   #5
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

Go for it.

I have a Hexar RF that I removed the 75 and 135 framelines. I occasionally use a 90, and never a 28, so I left the 90 alone.

Like others have already said, having a clean viewfinder is nice.

Old 05-25-2019   #6
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

It might make sense to remove the 135mm framelines, if they bother you, since you use a 35mm lens and the 135 lines appear in the same view as the 35mm. But why bother removing the 90mm lines when you don't use the 28/90mm frame selector anyway? Why remove the 75mm lines when you don't use the 50/75 position?

To me, the M6/M7/MP 50mm framelines are so undersize I prefer to shoot a 50 with an M2, M4P, or M5, anyhow!

Old 05-25-2019   #7
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
But why bother removing the 90mm lines when you don't use the 28/90mm frame selector anyway? Why remove the 75mm lines when you don't use the 50/75 position?

They spoil the image!

Erik.

Old 05-25-2019   #8
Huss

I have had the 75mm frame lines removed from my MA, M7 and M5. I never use 75, and the frame lines for them mess up the view when I use the 50mm lens.
So so so happy w/o them!

Gotta be honest, I don't even get the point of the 75mm focal length. Not that much difference to 50, so I just step up tp 90.

Old 05-26-2019   #9
leicapixie

I see the extra frame as guide to composition..
The 75mm is really only to sell tha lens.
A small crop and you have it!
Use your 50mm Summicron, Summilux.
Also as fast and cheaper with better results, IMHO.

Last edited by leicapixie : 05-26-2019 at 02:09. Reason: added 50mmm

Old 05-26-2019   #10
Erik van Straten

75mm is handy when you use cine lenses of 3''. Not many people do, however.

Erik.

Old 05-26-2019   #11
bert26

Since I’m sending out for the anti flare optics anyway, might as well get the 135, 75, and 90 masked. I only have a 35 now, but will eventually get a 50 and 28 and have no intention on ever selling my body. Well maybe if the price is right and she's not totally disgusting.

Old 05-26-2019   #12
jmanivelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Had my two M7's 75 and 135 lines "removed". It's just taping up the frame line mask so the process is fully reversible.
Hi, would you have a link or a photo to show the tapped mask?
I was told by repair people that removing frame lines is a delicate intervention, now am wondering if I was misled !?
Best, JM.

Old 05-26-2019   #13
Mute-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanivelle View Post
I was told by repair people that removing frame lines is a delicate intervention, now am wondering if I was misled !?
Best, JM.
I canít help you with a photo, but I can tell you that the actual framelines are very fine, and very small. They all fit in a roughly 5mm x 7mm space (from memory, perhaps smaller), so any masking of individual lines will be an exceedingly delicate intervention.

Old 05-27-2019   #14
David Hughes
David Hughes

That confirms what I was told years ago when I visited them and asked about removing a frame-line. They said the metal was as thin as a razor blade and couldn't really be worked on. (That was when razor blades were double sided, slotted, came in paper packs and were fitted into a holder; 70's or 80's I guess.)

Regards, David

Old 05-27-2019   #15
bert26

Quick question: If for some odd reason I decided to shoot with a 90mm at some point with the frame lines masked, I could just get an external viewfinder, right? Seems like I'd want one anyway.. Honestly though, I don't see myself ever shooting with anything other than a 35, 50, 28, or 21.

Old 05-27-2019   #16
Deardorff38

Bert, I had an MP for a while & was toying with the idea of sending it away to be masked. The extra framelines were a huge nuisance. I've used M2, M4, M6 for decades. Just in time an early black paint M4 came up. Sold the MP on kijiji and never looked back. The most distracting for me were the 75 framelines. My very favourite was a black M2 i had many years ago...which i sold.(foolish). I agree with you. Even the 90....get the external. Sometimes making something that works for everyone, loses something in the end.

To quote David Hughes "there's so many M2's about and they don't get much better"

Old 05-27-2019   #17
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Gotta be honest, I don't even get the point of the 75mm focal length. Not that much difference to 50, so I just step up tp 90.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
The 75mm is really only to sell tha lens.
A small crop and you have it!
Use your 50mm Summicron, Summilux.
Also as fast and cheaper with better results, IMHO.
You wouldn't say that if you try the 75mm Summicron! The image quality is stunning!

Leica was encouraged to go ahead with the 75mm Summicron after a number of us voiced our wish for it at the LHSA annual meeting in St. Louis (2002, I think it was). We bent Stefan Daniels's ear a bit, and he said they would consider it. So it was made in response to requests, probably not only at the one meeting; I'm sure there were many others expressing interest. Leica didn't force it on the world; we asked for it.

The 75mm focal length originated with the Summilux. Photographing stage performances from a distance was one of the motivations for it.

Old 05-27-2019   #18
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
You wouldn't say that if you try the 75mm Summicron! The image quality is stunning!

Image quality is stunning with all the Leica lenses I use. Including the 90mm.

There are lots of stunning lenses in focal lengths that are of no use to me.

Old 05-27-2019   #19
Deardorff38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

There are lots of stunning lenses in focal lengths that are of no use to me.

Amen Huss!

Old 05-27-2019   #20
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanivelle View Post
Best, JM.
Local resources available:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=163182

Scroll down to find the picture of the actual mask (#40), which is tiny. "Removing" a set of frame line involves taping the corresponding opening up. Not exactly rocket science, but it's delicate operation indeed.

Old 05-28-2019   #21
leicapixie

My dream lens was a 90mm Summicron back in 1967..
Move up a few years and at "camera sale fair" actually offered one!
Lickety split onto "ziggy" my my M3.
Disappointment doesn't cover it..
Barely see thru my frames..
The 75mm lenses are same!
Sure they are wonderful, so small depth of field, heavy,
(maybe too heavy for camera lugs) and doing same as old 90mm Summicron.
I am not a gear head, my M3 used!
Way more than 15,ooo rolls..

Old 06-06-2019   #22
bert26

Got my m6 back this morning and after shooting all day I gotta say having the flare optics installed and the 135, 90, and 75mm frame lines removed makes it SO much more enjoyable to shoot with. Worth every penny IMO.