lomography is killing me
Old 05-15-2019   #1
Pherdinand
the snow must go on
 
Pherdinand's Avatar
 
Pherdinand is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: by the river called the Gender
Age: 42
Posts: 7,825
lomography is killing me

this is getting crazy. Old, long-expired film prices are rising to almost equal the new film prices. All ads include lomography in the title, i guess that gives green light to goin' crazy with the price.
And i'm not speaking of dinosaurs like techpan or panatomic-x or other long gone rare items but simple tri-x or fp4+ - they ask 5 euros for a roll of expired roll of tri-x ...
Even old junky svema expired in 1990 cost 3+ euro (plus shipping from Ukraine) with zero guarantees of course.

No more deals unless you roll your own from bulk... and no more deals for medium format at all
__________________
Happy New Year, Happy New Continent!
eye contact eye
My RFF Foolery
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,418
Lomography is not about poor students in Austria using cheap film and dirt cheap lomo cameras anymore. Those guys are grown up and selling it for lazy hipsters.
You could still practice true lomography with lomo made Smena and Kodak Gold.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #3
Steve M.
Registered User
 
Steve M. is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,382
35mm Tr1-X in 36 exposure is $5.66 here in the US at Freestyle Photo, so I can't complain. It's not so bad over here.

It's funny, but Lomography has used Leica's strategy to market their products, but they flipped it. It's "cool" to have low fi crap gear if it's got a Lomography connection. It makes the hipsters happy I suppose, and they apparently have money to spend. The way it stands today, we got Leica holding down the dentist end of the market, Lomography's got the hipsters and people who just want to have fun w/ their photography, and us photographers still have Freestyle and KEH. Companies like Nikon, Canon, etc don't even exist anymore as far as I'm concerned because they don't make anything but digital cameras anymore. Less people selling in the film market will surely create higher prices.

Doesn't the EU put a lot of taxes and tariffs on imported photography stuff anyway? They're the cause of your film prices being so high even when you don't buy from Lomography. I'm not knocking the taxes. I would be more than happy to pay them if we got the benefits that most EU states provide for it's citizens. But we don't.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #4
Out to Lunch
Registered User
 
Out to Lunch's Avatar
 
Out to Lunch is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 5,416
I never bought into lomo since it was a marketeers company from day 1. Buy low, sell high.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #5
Prest_400
Multiformat
 
Prest_400's Avatar
 
Prest_400 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden/Spain
Posts: 908
The only good deals about Lomography is the Color Neg film, which is about the cheapest one can get. Lomo 800 is quite below the price level of Portra 800 or Cinestill, the other options are on par or cheap as well.

Expired film, if it has to be on the bay, usually shipping just kills it. Not worth to hunt for ancient god knows where it has been. I've gotten OK deals with people selling "overstocked" film or recently expired, such as Portra.

Just buy fresh. 5€ gets you great Ilford film. If anything, bake it afterwards to get that Lomo effects


And of cameras... I was given a Holga that a friend got for 5€, as I forwarded the listing, but he ended up giving it to me after disliking the thing. I rather miss cheap cheap GP3 or such film for novelty use, although fomapan bought in bulk is rather cheap
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #6
Filter Factor
Registered User
 
Filter Factor is offline
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
Companies like Nikon, Canon, etc don't even exist anymore as far as I'm concerned because they don't make anything but digital cameras anymore.
Oh, that's not true at all. Nikon still produces its flagship F6 camera at its Sendai factory in Japan, utilizing space that might otherwise be used for production of its Z cameras and D850 digitals. That the production space remains in use for the F6 speaks volumes as to Nikon's commitment to film photography, and to photographer's demand for a high-end film camera like the F6.

Let us not forget that Fujifilm sold ten million Instax cameras last year, a format that is not digital at all and remains a key part of Fujifilm's film sales. Fujifilm's presence at last year's Photokina was a revelation as they revealed new products, new paper and chemistry, new minilab equipment and of course their website ishootfujifilm.com, all of which points towards NEW film usage and not specifically geared to the "lomography" movement and the limited supply of expired film.

Cheers, Robert
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #7
lynnb
Registered User
 
lynnb's Avatar
 
lynnb is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,490
I keep an eye out for eBay 20%-30% off + free shipping deals that come along occasionally. When that happens I stock up on fresh Ilford or Kodak film for my freezer. I agree about the prices now being asked for Lomo/expired film. In Australia film prices are high - main street camera stores ask AUD$20 for a roll of Tri-X or HP5+ 36exp. I've been getting it for under AUD$8.
__________________
Lynn
happiest when shooting 35mm and 120 film
RFF Gallery
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #8
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,707
lomo 800 film is superb. it's my favourite 800 film. i just bought a stash - dated 2022.
the box says made in USA

the solution to expensive out-dated film is buy fresh!
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #9
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filter Factor View Post
Oh, that's not true at all. Nikon still produces its flagship F6 camera at its Sendai factory in Japan, utilizing space that might otherwise be used for production of its Z cameras and D850 digitals. That the production space remains in use for the F6 speaks volumes as to Nikon's commitment to film photography, and to photographer's demand for a high-end film camera like the F6.

Let us not forget that Fujifilm sold ten million Instax cameras last year, a format that is not digital at all and remains a key part of Fujifilm's film sales. Fujifilm's presence at last year's Photokina was a revelation as they revealed new products, new paper and chemistry, new minilab equipment and of course their website ishootfujifilm.com, all of which points towards NEW film usage and not specifically geared to the "lomography" movement and the limited supply of expired film.

Cheers, Robert

The F6 is hardly a mainstream camera. Sales of this camera are extremely minute.



Fujifilm used to produce the excellent Klasse, Natura, and other high quality consumer grade cameras. All sadly discontinued now.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #10
emraphoto
Registered User
 
emraphoto's Avatar
 
emraphoto is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,654
Oh those hipsters... Ruining everything. Maybe they use chrap plastic camera gear as it's fun? Just spitballing here.

There is still affordable film available buy it's not on ebay or in a Lomo/Holga box.

Argentix in Canada has plenty of affordable options up into 4x5.

For the record, I have a smena symbol, L-CA 120, Diana AND a beard!
__________________
www.johndensky.ca
@eastofadelaide
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #11
Filter Factor
Registered User
 
Filter Factor is offline
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Fujifilm used to produce the excellent Klasse, Natura, and other high quality consumer grade cameras. All sadly discontinued now.

The Klasse was intended from the very beginning to be a very limited production item, just 8,000 copies made and sold mainly in the Japanese home market. It was nearly unknown in much of the rest of the world and only with the recent resurgence of film among younger photographers has the Klasse become more well-known.


Cheers, Robert
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #12
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,707
Here you go, no mention of Lomo..

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...d-efke.167285/
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #13
znapper
Registered User
 
znapper's Avatar
 
znapper is offline
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filter Factor View Post
Oh, that's not true at all. Nikon still produces its flagship F6 camera at its Sendai factory in Japan, utilizing space that might otherwise be used for production of its Z cameras and D850 digitals. That the production space remains in use for the F6 speaks volumes as to Nikon's commitment to film photography, and to photographer's demand for a high-end film camera like the F6.

Cheers, Robert

Oh, I don't quite know about that.
I am sure they sell it still, because they still have rows of unsold F6 cameras.


It is not that long ago, that Canon also "sold" their flagship, the 1v.


Once the warehouse is empty, you can bet your bottom dollar that Nikon will be finished with film-cameras as well.


Or do you have tangible information that they are actually producing brand spanking new F6 cameras?
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2019   #14
Skiff
Registered User
 
Skiff is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by znapper View Post
Or do you have tangible information that they are actually producing brand spanking new F6 cameras?
Yes, Nikon is producing new F6. We've just recently discussed that here:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=166042
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #15
Pherdinand
the snow must go on
 
Pherdinand's Avatar
 
Pherdinand is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: by the river called the Gender
Age: 42
Posts: 7,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
thanks, those were decent deals. I should subrscibe to 'photrio' maybe

Note i am not looking into doing lomography myself. I am just sometimes searching for a nice deal on outdated or shortdated film (i did pick up recently a 17m roll apx25 exp.2001...) esp. medium format, for work that does not need critical grain level, contrast, etc. and it annoys me that under 'lomography' sticker they try to pass on really old film for almost new price...

I remember times when passing by a large camera shop they had a basket with shortdated or recently outdated film rolls for 1-1.5 euro per roll ... now the best deal i found was 25e for 5 tri-x rolls half year outdated.
This TMY from Huss' link might be interesting if shipping from CAN doesn't kill the deal.
__________________
Happy New Year, Happy New Continent!
eye contact eye
My RFF Foolery
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #16
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps
 
davidnewtonguitars's Avatar
 
davidnewtonguitars is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 1,393
"Lazy Hipsters"?? I know quite a few hipsters, give them a break, they are working hard at it!
If there is any future in film photography it will have come from them.
__________________
Leica M2 / 7artisans 35-f2 / Leitz Summitar
http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #17
Pioneer
Registered User
 
Pioneer's Avatar
 
Pioneer is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 65
Posts: 3,123
"Lazy Hipsters" is just another way to denigrate someone you don't even know. Obviously if they are using that "cheap, crappy Lomo stuff" they must be beneath me.


Mostly BS and hogwash.
__________________
You gotta love a fast lens;

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #18
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,707
Lomography saved film photography. All you gotta do is check out their site:

https://www.lomography.com/

They promote all sorts of film useage and gear. Check out their magazine section.

No-one else in the industry does anything close to this. Not Leica, Nikon, Fuji (!), Kodak, Ilford etc.
So for all those trying to poke fun at hipsters, they are why we still have film.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #19
olifaunt
Registered User
 
olifaunt is offline
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 265
There are the trust fund hipsters, mostly in New York City and San Francisco, I am told. They are said to use expensive Yashicas or Contaxes, or even Leicas.

Then there are the young hip and genuinely poor art students at my local school in a small economically struggling city and state far from Brooklyn or San Fran. They may have tattoos but they work second and third jobs as baristas and waiters and love film photography, which they often do with cameras under $50 or hand-me-downs.

Most of us on these forums don't really have a basis for denigrating the second type, and many of us would be on shaky ground denigrating the first type.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #20
emraphoto
Registered User
 
emraphoto's Avatar
 
emraphoto is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,654
"trust fund hipsters"

Was there some sort of survey done? Are hipsters who live in one state/city prone to working harder than another states hipsters? Must one have a trust fund to be a hipster in New York? So many rules

The handful of folks I know, who live in NY and could be mistaken for a hipster in the wild, work multiple jobs just to afford rent.
__________________
www.johndensky.ca
@eastofadelaide
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #21
emraphoto
Registered User
 
emraphoto's Avatar
 
emraphoto is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
"Lazy Hipsters" is just another way to denigrate someone you don't even know. Obviously if they are using that "cheap, crappy Lomo stuff" they must be beneath me.


Mostly BS and hogwash.
And a hearty AMEN to that
__________________
www.johndensky.ca
@eastofadelaide
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #22
dourbalistar
Registered User
 
dourbalistar's Avatar
 
dourbalistar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
Most of us on these forums don't really have a basis for denigrating the second type, and many of us would be on shaky ground denigrating the first type.
But that goes counter to the adage "Don't hate, denigrate!"

Anyway, I must be a hipster because:
  • I have hips;
  • I sometimes wear a beanie;
  • I have a tattoo (or two, does that make it a tattwo?);
  • I wear flannel (pajamas).
However, I'm unable to grow a beard, so I guess fail to meet that criteria.
__________________
I like my lenses sharp as a tank and built like a tack.

flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #23
richardHaw
junk scavenger
 
richardHaw's Avatar
 
richardHaw is offline
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 417
hipsters actually keep film photography alive for their generation
__________________
Take me down to the Parallax City
Where the viewfinder's tiny
And the framing is tricky
http://www.richardhaw.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #24
Solinar
Analog Preferred
 
Solinar's Avatar
 
Solinar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 65
Posts: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardHaw View Post
hipsters actually keep film photography alive for their generation
A non-scientific sample: all my friends that are 60 and older use digital cameras.
__________________
- Andrew in Austin, Texas -

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and a Voigtlander Vito II
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #25
Pentode
Registered User
 
Pentode's Avatar
 
Pentode is offline
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 193
Lomography is a double-edged sword; Sure, it's a marketing ploy. It never pretended to be otherwise. And sure, it invites third parties to jump on the Lomo bandwagon and charge crazy prices for run-of-the-mill, expired film. A fool and his money are soon parted, as they say. On the other hand, Lomography has gotten a lot of young people (who may or may not be hipsters, depending upon your definition and tolerance) interested in shooting film. Some of them are just using film as a fashion statement, but some of those young people are taking it seriously and some are doing really good work. These young, potentially-hipstery people are helping to keep the film industry alive and we can't have expired film, regardless of whether or not it's overpriced, if we don't have film at all.

As to expired film prices, yes it's a little irritating that some people are overcharging for recently expired stock, but there are still good deals to be had if one is patient.

From this forum alone I have bought quite a fair amount of expired film at good prices and continue to do so when I see the chance. Other forums and even, occasionally, Ebay still have good deals to be found if you keep a good lookout.

Regarding Huss' link: I bought a lot of the film from this seller and I can assure you he's a stand-up guy. Very honest. In your shoes, I'd definitely contact him about that TMY. He was really nice to do business with. -I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by plugging someone else's classified ad!
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #26
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae
 
LCSmith's Avatar
 
LCSmith is offline
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
The F6 is hardly a mainstream camera. Sales of this camera are extremely minute.



Fujifilm used to produce the excellent Klasse, Natura, and other high quality consumer grade cameras. All sadly discontinued now.
Yes! Lol! Ted Striker is a hysterical character. Like the Debbie Downer of the photography industry. Truly a committed pessimist. I love it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2019   #27
DanskDynamit
Registered User
 
DanskDynamit's Avatar
 
DanskDynamit is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentode View Post
Lomography is a double-edged sword; Sure, it's a marketing ploy. It never pretended to be otherwise. And sure, it invites third parties to jump on the Lomo bandwagon and charge crazy prices for run-of-the-mill, expired film. A fool and his money are soon parted, as they say. On the other hand, Lomography has gotten a lot of young people (who may or may not be hipsters, depending upon your definition and tolerance) interested in shooting film. Some of them are just using film as a fashion statement, but some of those young people are taking it seriously and some are doing really good work. These young, potentially-hipstery people are helping to keep the film industry alive and we can't have expired film, regardless of whether or not it's overpriced, if we don't have film at all.
absolutely agree +1
__________________
DanskDynamit
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019   #28
nightfly
Registered User
 
nightfly is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,912
"Get off my lawn"
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019   #29
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
A non-scientific sample: all my friends that are 60 and older use digital cameras.

Not saying your friends do this, but what I have seen is all those who b1tch and complain about film tend to be old people who no longer use film, but exclusively shoot on digital.
And they will have anecdotes about how they used film for the last 40 + years, all the amazing things they did with it, and what a pain in the a$$ it is and so good riddance to it. They seems to almost be offended that it still exists and young people are discovering it and loving it. It's as if they don't want any newbies to experience what they experienced, so they can lord over them that back in the day they were pro film shooters but 'you' wouldn't understand as 'you' are not able to use it.
So they try their darndest to turn people off it, and then berate those that do use it by denigrating them because, well, perhaps there is an envy that they are demonstrating a passion that is no longer within them.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019   #30
nightfly
Registered User
 
nightfly is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,912
This is the raison d'être of the internet.

It's the equivalent to I liked that band before they were famous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Not saying your friends do this, but what I have seen is all those who b1tch and complain about film tend to be old people who no longer use film, but exclusively shoot on digital.
And they will have anecdotes about how they used film for the last 40 + years, all the amazing things they did with it, and what a pain in the a$$ it is and so good riddance to it. They seems to almost be offended that it still exists and young people are discovering it and loving it. It's as if they don't want any newbies to experience what they experienced, so they can lord over them that back in the day they were pro film shooters but 'you' wouldn't understand as 'you' are not able to use it.
So they try their darndest to turn people off it, and then berate those that do use it by denigrating them because, well, perhaps there is an envy that they are demonstrating a passion that is no longer within them.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019   #31
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is online now
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Not saying your friends do this, but what I have seen is all those who b1tch and complain about film tend to be old people who no longer use film, but exclusively shoot on digital.
And they will have anecdotes about how they used film for the last 40 + years, all the amazing things they did with it, and what a pain in the a$$ it is and so good riddance to it. They seems to almost be offended that it still exists and young people are discovering it and loving it. It's as if they don't want any newbies to experience what they experienced, so they can lord over them that back in the day they were pro film shooters but 'you' wouldn't understand as 'you' are not able to use it.
So they try their darndest to turn people off it, and then berate those that do use it by denigrating them because, well, perhaps there is an envy that they are demonstrating a passion that is no longer within them.
Sure there may be a few people like that, but to condemn every older digital shooter in nonsense.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019   #32
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Sure there may be a few people like that, but to condemn every older digital shooter in nonsense.
I didn't condemn every older digital shooter. I said tend to be.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019   #33
tunalegs
Pretended Artist
 
tunalegs's Avatar
 
tunalegs is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,567
Buy new film.



A tangent: to disparage Lomography as just marketing bunk is silly. Leica is marketing bunk. Hassleblad is marketing bunk. Nikon, Canon, etc. all have marketing aimed at selling what you don't need, and filling your head with day dreams about how many cool photos you'll take once you hand over the cash.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019   #34
aizan
Registered User
 
aizan's Avatar
 
aizan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 4,597
You can’t win. You tell the newbies “Why are you using filters to make your photos look like (expired/cross-processed/etc.) film when you can just shoot film?” After shooting film becomes cool, people don’t like that people followed their advice and will pay money out of their underemployed, hugely in debt wallets so they can do photography the “right” way.
__________________
Ugly Cameras
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019   #35
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdinand View Post

No more deals unless you roll your own from bulk... and no more deals for medium format at all

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...hreadid=168400
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2019   #36
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,475
Luckily a few of us old gits know that you win some and you lose some.


And when we give the wrong answer, when asked on forums, it's called bitching...


Regards, David
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2019   #37
CharlesDAMorgan
Registered User
 
CharlesDAMorgan is online now
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South East UK
Posts: 962
I'm always entertained on Instagram seeing new generation film shooters post under-exposed or undusted negatives or indeed, just ordinary shots, from film, and getting comments so over-done that I start to show my age. I am delighted by the resurgence of film, but a bad photo remains a bad photo in whichever medium.
__________________
Film amateur with a few rangefinders - Leica III, M2/M3, Werra 3 and Zeiss Super Ikonta 534/16 medium format.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2019   #38
valdas
Registered User
 
valdas is online now
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
35mm Tr1-X in 36 exposure is $5.66 here in the US at Freestyle Photo, so I can't complain. It's not so bad over here.


Doesn't the EU put a lot of taxes and tariffs on imported photography stuff anyway? They're the cause of your film prices being so high even when you don't buy from Lomography. I'm not knocking the taxes. I would be more than happy to pay them if we got the benefits that most EU states provide for it's citizens. But we don't.
Import VAT is applicable to all goods, there is nothing special related to photography. Tariffs? I am not aware of any... And I am not sure “imported photography in EU” is something that worries us with Ilford, Adox and most of other b&w stuff is actually made in EU.
__________________
My Flickr
________
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2019   #39
goamules
Registered User
 
goamules is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,812
"Beatnik?" "Fashionista?"
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2019   #40
tunalegs
Pretended Artist
 
tunalegs's Avatar
 
tunalegs is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
I'm always entertained on Instagram seeing new generation film shooters post under-exposed or undusted negatives or indeed, just ordinary shots, from film, and getting comments so over-done that I start to show my age. I am delighted by the resurgence of film, but a bad photo remains a bad photo in whichever medium.
Photographic effects, or Syntax is something I teach to painters, illustrators, etc. And I think it's something people who are new to shooting film are intrigued by which is why they pursue things like grain, vignetting, lens flare, etc. Because those effects, while undesirable to "good" photographers are also hallmarks of the medium.

Digital has also long been sold on a falsity that it is easier than film, so there is this perception that film must be really hard to learn. Impress your friends and family - try film!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:17.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.