Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Why is it? (**RANT**) ...
Old 04-22-2019   #1
dmr
Registered Abuser

Why is it? (**RANT**) ...

Why is it that so many otherwise great photographers who take and display countless great photos insist on producing totally awful videos purporting to teach us how to take great photos?

Old 04-22-2019   #2
Steve M.

Because you can't learn to be a great photographer by watching a youtube video, and looking at flickr photos until your eyeballs fall out will not you anyone into Ansel Adams?

Would you want to be operated on by a brain surgeon who learned surgery techniques from a youtube video? Great photographers are out taking photos right now, not making videos. They're probably not posting things to an online photography forum while there's film in a camera and a beautiful day outside right now either, but we'll ignore that :]

Old 04-22-2019   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
Why is it that so many otherwise great photographers who take and display countless great photos insist on producing totally awful videos purporting to teach us how to take great photos?

I do how-to videos and written tutorials. Why? Because I enjoy sharing my knowledge and I make money from them. The donations people send me have made a big impact on my income.

My videos

My written tutorials

Old 04-22-2019   #4
B-9
Devin Bro

Chris, have you looked into Patreon? Another great way to share and bring a little money home for your efforts. I see a lot of the channels I watch do some sort of patreon subscriptions.

You cant take photos all the time so I enjoy videos about cameras and photography in my down time.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 04-22-2019   #5
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Chris, have you looked into Patreon? Another great way to share and bring a little money home for your efforts. I see a lot of the channels I watch do some sort of patreon subscriptions.

You cant take photos all the time so I enjoy videos about cameras and photography in my down time.

I have a Patreon account and have had for several years, but no one has ever donated so much as a penny through it! Strange, given the amount of money I take in from Paypal

Old 04-22-2019   #6
jarski

videography and photography are different skills. good photographer does not become automatically good videographer.

that said, it seems quite a few Tubers clearly focus (time, effort, money) on video, while their photography is relegated a mere subject matter, something to talk about

Old 04-22-2019   #7
zuiko85

Just because someone is good at what they do it does not follow that they are also a good teacher. They might be but not always. I like Joe Van Cleave’s videos about pinhole cameras. They are clear and understandable. I find some normally informative videos ruined by bad audio, especially loud obnoxious background music. So loud you cannot even hear the voiceover commentary.

Old 04-22-2019   #8
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

"Them what can, do. Them what can't teach". It's pretty hard to make a good living just from photographs for most.

Old 04-22-2019   #9
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
I do how-to videos and written tutorials. Why? Because I enjoy sharing my knowledge and I make money from them. The donations people send me have made a big impact on my income.

My videos

My written tutorials

Subbed. You have quite the beard.

Old 04-22-2019   #10
RObert Budding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
Because you can't learn to be a great photographer by watching a youtube video, and looking at flickr photos until your eyeballs fall out will not you anyone into Ansel Adams?

Would you want to be operated on by a brain surgeon who learned surgery techniques from a youtube video? Great photographers are out taking photos right now, not making videos. They're probably not posting things to an online photography forum while there's film in a camera and a beautiful day outside right now either, but we'll ignore that :]
On the other hand, I enjoy looking at other people's work, and I think about what it is about particular subjects and compositional elements that draw me in. But maybe I don't have your high level of mastery, since I can still learn from other people.

As for training brain surgeons - they do watch in the OR, and they practice on cadavers, prior to being turned loose on their own. Seems better than just telling them to go cut.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 04-22-2019   #11
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
"Them what can, do. Them what can't teach". .....
Them that can't teach, teach teachers. Them that can't teach teachers become guidance counselors.

B2 (;->

Old 04-22-2019   #12
CharlesDAMorgan

Some interesting videos there Chris, so I've subscribed.

I've learned a lot from youtube videos.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 04-22-2019   #13
Corran

Regarding the 'great photographers' you mention...how many prints have you bought from them?

Old 04-22-2019   #14
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I think the only one I've seen that I actually enjoyed was a Joel Meyerowitz video that popped up here in a thread some time ago. Initially I didn't like it or him much and to be honest I knew little about the guy. Once I had looked at his work it gelled with me in a way it didn't at first for some reason ... probably caused by a lack of perceived credibility?

Old 04-22-2019   #15
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Once I had looked at his work it gelled with me in a way it didn't at first for some reason ... probably caused by a lack of perceived credibility?
What is credibility in this context?

Old 04-22-2019   #16
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
What is credibility in this context?

His images that I subsequently discovered I liked.

Old 04-22-2019   #17
charjohncarter

Quote:
I've never been able to finish one.

Old 04-22-2019   #18
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Why is it that some rant and rave about these tutorials when they have the free choice to click on the link or just move on?

Old 04-22-2019   #19
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Photography and videography are two entirely different skills, though they might use similar equipment; that’s where the similarities end. So it’s no mystery that good photographers might not make good videos.

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 04-22-2019   #20
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I learned from videos of GW, HCB, BG and so on... videos, interviews.
If it is in you, something what they telling will resonate.
It is impossible to teach if here is something missing. Just something which will make you diffrent. Here is no teaching in art, but helping to find your special.

But maybe OP talks about weddings photographers.
This one I would never learn....

Old 04-22-2019   #21
Archiver

Do you have any examples of great photographers who produce bad tutorial videos? There is a wide range of people on YouTube producing photography videos, but I haven't come across too many that are great photographers but bad video producers.

Old 04-22-2019   #22
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
"Them what can, do. Them what can't teach". It's pretty hard to make a good living just from photographs for most.
I prefer Aristotle's version: Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach.

Old 04-23-2019   #23
David Hughes
David Hughes

Trouble is that those who don't know; don't understand and don't care usually end up as politicians...

Regards, David

Old 04-23-2019   #24
Benjamin Marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Trouble is that those who don't know; don't understand and don't care usually end up as politicians...

Regards, David
Funny. But I guess you haven't met many politicians. I have known my state senator and one of my state reps for almost two decades, and it is hard to imagine two more intelligent, earnest, hardworking people. Doesn't mean they are all that way, of course.

The OP's question asks why so many people in category A are also members of category B. I am not convinced, as in my counterexample above, that the OP has identified an actual correlation, but let's say he has. The two categories have nothing to do with one another. A photograph represents an instant in time; a video shows a sequence of events over time. It is like asking why photographers don't make good ballet dancers. The OP's question also assumes that a great artist knows what makes him/her great and can explain him or herself. This is also a dubious proposition.

Old 04-23-2019   #25
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Marks View Post
Funny. But I guess you haven't met many politicians. I have known my state senator and one of my state reps for almost two decades, and it is hard to imagine two more intelligent, earnest, hardworking people. Doesn't mean they are all that way, of course.

Well, I have been living and trying to cope with their blunders for decades and am not very impressed. Most seem to have their heads stuck firmly in the sand.

As for videos and still photo's, they are two different things. Both require several skills and not every one has them all. Professional video makers often employ several others to do all the various things that make a good video etc. That is rather beyond the typical amateur video maker...

Regards, David

Old 04-23-2019   #26
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

it's a bit similar to interviewing sportsmen or artists: the amount of nonsense they say can be staggering and disappointing.
They're just good at something and bad at something else. Like most of us

Old 04-23-2019   #27
Peter Wijninga

''Click and move on'', indeed.

Old 04-23-2019   #28
Benjamin Marks

Quote:
Well, I have been living and trying to cope with their blunders for decades and am not very impressed. Most seem to have their heads stuck firmly in the sand.

As for videos and still photo's, they are two different things. Both require several skills and not every one has them all. Professional video makers often employ several others to do all the various things that make a good video etc. That is rather beyond the typical amateur video maker...

Regards, David
I don't disagree about the results, David, just the personal characterization. Politics, which is to say: the art of Intelligent compromise, is a lost art the world 'round right now, and we should all be asking why that is. And as for video: we agree.

Old 04-23-2019   #29
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Marks View Post
I don't disagree about the results, David, just the personal characterization. Politics, which is to say: the art of Intelligent compromise, is a lost art the world 'round right now, and we should all be asking why that is. And as for video: we agree.

Hi,

Well, yes, I think we agree.

FWIW, I don't think the idea of a sensible compromise ever enters what - for want of a better word - we'll call their minds. It seems to be about winning and humiliation these days.

Regards, David

Old 04-23-2019   #30
MIkhail

Quote:
It could be that their kids want to eat too? :-)

Old 04-23-2019   #31
farlymac
PF McFarland

I think a lot of the worse video makers either don't have the time to put out a quality product, or think all you have to do is sit in front of your camera and blah blah blah for fifteen minutes.

I like the ones who try to give a lively presentation, as long as it gets across what they are attempting to teach.

PF

Old 04-23-2019   #32
Filter Factor

There ARE some good photographers that make excellent videos; just thought I should mention. They're not hard to find.

Cheers, Robert

Old 04-23-2019   #33
Ambro51

Well here’s a simple formula that Always works. Take 50,000 photos. Pick out the best 20.

Old 04-23-2019   #34
Vince Lupo

Whenever I need an inspirational kick in the pants, I watch this video:

https://vimeo.com/116692462

If you want a video that will help you become a better photographer, this is it.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

Old 04-23-2019   #35
ptpdprinter

There is nothing inherently wrong with videos. It is just that most videos, like forums, are about cameras and not about photography. How many videos about how such and such a camera is the greatest thing since sliced bread do you really need to watch, if any, to improve your photography? I'm reminded of late night Veg-a-matic commercials.

Old 04-23-2019   #36
MIkhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambro51 View Post
Well here’s a simple formula that Always works. Take 50,000 photos. Pick out the best 20.

Following the same logic, does painter paints 1000 paintings and then pick 10 good ones?
If you clearly know what you looking for (with obvious variations) or at least have an idea of your own basic criteria of what's good, then you don't need the 50 000. Unless you just want to take 50 000 for fun - nothing wrong with that I suppose.

Old 04-23-2019   #37
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkhail View Post
Following the same logic, does painter paints 1000 paintings and then pick 10 good ones?
van Gogh produced something like 1000 oil paintings. I think most people know a handful of his works.

Shawn

Old 04-23-2019   #38
Darthfeeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
I prefer Aristotle's version: Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach.
Aligns better with my feelings about teachers. Amazing people.

Old 04-23-2019   #39
Darthfeeble

Quote:

Regards, David
Seems anymore to be so.

Old 04-23-2019   #40
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkhail View Post
Surely you are not suggesting that all paintings of an artist are equally good.