Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 03-30-2019   #81
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
This is one pic I took at the mall, just before Paul Blart swooped in.

Leica R-E, Summicron 50 ROM, Fuji C200, Nikon Z7 scan, negativelabpro.com

Apparently, Barbie, you can't be a film photographer..
WOW! That's an outrageous image. Count yourself lucky you did not get a beating with a broomstick! Had it been taken with an iPhone on Portrait mode, it would be a whole different thing, but as it stands, I'll have to add you to my RFF ignore list.

Old 03-30-2019   #82
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbazz View Post
Try to take a picture in the public space next to a US Embassy anywhere in the world (and I mean taking a photograph of a random subjet and not photographing the Embassy itself) and you will be immediately surrounded by armed security guards asking you to surrender your camera. I always have been wondering what was the legal basis for that...

Cheers!

Abbazz
Sorry...that is nonsense. I've photographed near the US embassy in the UK and Canada and never saw anyone or had an issue.

Old 03-30-2019   #83
ChipMcD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenR View Post
I once tried to use a tripod in Rockefeller Center in NYC and was told by the security guard who magically appeared that tripods are forbidden on their property. Knowing that they don't control the public sidewalk, I politely asked where their property ends and where the public sidewalk began. He pointed to a marker on the ground - I moved my setup a few feet over the imaginary line and took a few shots. He stood there watching me, so I smiled and thanked him as I left. So-so shot.
I thought that NYC required a tripod permit from the city for use of one on public streets, but I was wrong. See this link (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/mome/permi...-required.page) and the last sentence under the heading "When a Permit Is Required," which states "Permits are not required for casual photographers, tourists or credentialed members of the media." Nice to know for my next trip, If I am planning on walking the Brooklyn Bridge and photographing Manhattan.

Old 03-30-2019   #84
farlymac
PF McFarland

Around here, I get a lot of folks asking me if I work for the county. And I keep my eyes open for dogs that some of them like to let loose on strangers.

PF

Old 03-31-2019   #85
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faintandfuzzy View Post
Sorry...that is nonsense. I've photographed near the US embassy in the UK and Canada and never saw anyone or had an issue.
Those are not client countries of the U.S., and they have some civil rights protections, so maybe the O.P.'s "anywhere" was too broad, but only slightly. Elsewhere, forget about it. I come from a developing country and I can attest that treatment of non-U.S. nationals both outside and inside of U.S. embassies/consulates is atrociously disrespectful, and has been so for decades. Most Americans really don't know how abusively their superpower status is projected in the rest of the world by the functionaries they appoint to represent them and how much ill will towards this country it causes.

Old 03-31-2019   #86
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
Those are not client countries of the U.S., and they have some civil rights protections, so maybe the O.P.'s "anywhere" was too broad, but only slightly. Elsewhere, forget about it. I come from a developing country and I can attest that treatment of non-U.S. nationals both outside and inside of U.S. embassies/consulates is atrociously disrespectful, and has been so for decades. Most Americans really don't know how abusively their superpower status is projected in the rest of the world by the functionaries they appoint to represent them and how much ill will towards this country it causes.
Sounds like load of BS.

I was in American embassy, consulate at three different locations as Russian.
No diffrence from UK, Finnish embassies.

Last time I was in American consulate in Toronto, African descent security guard was speaking to me in Russian. He was resently from Russia, where he went to University for four years.

But my wife and I were harassed by typical Toronto white trash, walking with German sherpard unleashed behind USA consulate. Just because we were speaking non English.