Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount / LTM Cameras

View Poll Results: What's your position on Leica LTM (not Leica specific), in light of an M?
I had/have both (M and LTM) and prefer the LTM 72 14.94%
I had/have both (M and LTM) and prefer the M 147 30.50%
I have both (M and LTM) and like them equally 142 29.46%
Only ever had an LTM and need look no further 65 13.49%
Only ever had an M and need look no further (was just here by accident or curiosity) 52 10.79%
I have no interest in either (M or LTM) - either prima facie or a priori 4 0.83%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2019   #241
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

What is the lens on it?

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 01-21-2019   #242
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
What is the lens on it?
Pan,

it's the nickel Voigtländer Heliar 50mm 2.0 in LTM mount. Only 600 made, very sharp and very nicely constructed. A future collectible I'd say. Somehow they never sold quick, I think Stephen still has them in stock. I got mine from him some five, six years ago.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 01-21-2019   #243
raid
Dad Photographer

Your Nickel 50/2 looks very beautiful, Johan. I have the older version black Heliar 50/2. Optically, they may be identical.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-30-2019   #244
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
I have a IIIc and once the beam splitter was changed is actually easy to focus. But the biggest advantage is the lighter weight of this little rig which when it comes to the outdoors I tend to grab first.
If it's indoors shooting I'll grab the M7 anytime for its ease of use in low light and excellent exposure.
I have a IIIf with a new (well now three year old) beam splitter and I find it very easy to focus - and I've always wondered whether it might actually be easier to focus than a M. Always wanted a M2 or M6, but never pulled the trigger. At my age with my eyesight perhaps I should leave well enough alone?

Old 01-30-2019   #245
oldwino

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler_101 View Post
I have a IIIf with a new (well now three year old) beam splitter and I find it very easy to focus - and I've always wondered whether it might actually be easier to focus than a M. Always wanted a M2 or M6, but never pulled the trigger. At my age with my eyesight perhaps I should leave well enough alone?
I do find the Ms to be easier to focus in low light, even after I had the beam-splitter replaced on my II.

beckmeyerphotographs.format.com
current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 02-20-2019   #246
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

I like them both equally.

I have owned and used a Leica II, and now a Leica IIIf RD ST. Since I mostly shoot black and white film and process it and scan it myself, the glass available for screw mount is more than adequate. Right now my IIIf is wedded to a collapsible Summicron and I do not see that changing any time soon. From portraits to landscapes I am happy very happy with that lens. Youxin did miracles for the IIIf body and it is super smooth. With the SBOOI finder, I do not feel like I am making any compromises with the screw mount camera.

Ah, but the M. I have owned and used two M4s, an M2, a digital M-P, and an M3. I have used the very best and newest glass like the 50 Summilux ASPH, 21mm Super-Elmar ASPH, and 35 Summicron ASPH, and I have used rigid Summicrons, DR Summicrons, 90mm 2.8 Elmarits, and 21mm Super-Angulons. The newer glass is lovely on the digital M, but a bit silly for black and white film. I let go of most of the newer lenses and now I use a DS M3 from 1956 with a Rigid Summicron and the newer E46 90mm Elmarit.

The thing about the LTM is that trimming film is annoying. The thing about the M is that by comparison it is a whale. Both are are beautiful machines both to use and to behold.

If I could only keep one, though, it would be the IIIf RD ST.

Old 02-27-2019   #247
xasthur

I've had a Leica M2 and a Leica IIIa and I'll be completely honest. I had way more fun with the IIIa than the M2. I got rid of the M2 and the IIIa and I regret not keeping the IIIa way more. I used both with the 3.5cm Elmar.

Old 03-03-2019   #248
Erik van Straten

I like them equally but then the LTM with a SBOOI-finder mounted (brightline 50mm).

Leica IA 1928, Elmar 50mm f/3.5 uncoated, 400-2TMY, printed on ADOX MCC 110.

Erik.

Old 03-03-2019   #249
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
I like them equally but then the LTM with a SBOOI-finder mounted (brightline 50mm).
Erik, I agree completely. I actually prefer framing with the SBOOI than with the frame lines in my M3 viewfinder. The SBOOI is a phenomenal (pun intended!) piece of kit.

Life looks brighter through the SBOOI.

Old 03-03-2019   #250
Erik van Straten

Yes, a SBOOI turns your "primitive" LTM into a sophisticated piece of equipment.

If anybody has a SBOOI in black, please sell it to me, thank you.

Erik.

Old 03-03-2019   #251
splitimageview

I’ve had Alan Starkie paint a few for me, so nice in black!

Old 03-03-2019   #252
Solinar
Analog Preferred

The IIIc in black is gorgeousness.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RC and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 06-04-2019   #253
Toreno

I have both (M and LTM) and like them equally.