Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 02-22-2019   #41
michaelwj
----------------

Thanks. Now I know I’ve been doing it all wrong. Or at least mostly wrong. I’ll sell my Fuji X whatever with its lack of features (and which features doesn’t it have that are of any use having?). I do use a strap sometimes, but it’s cloth. I’ll have to get a leather one. I suppose I’ll need a wide leather one to make the whopping great SLR comfortable all day. I wish you’d written this post a few years ago, you’d have saved me heaps of time and money.
Maybe I should post on the “things you wish you’d realised earlier thread”? I wish I read Nicks post about pocketable and camera straps before I did it wrong.
I wonder if I can get a wrist strap for my mobile phone? It’ll probably no longer fit in my pocket then, but I can just dangle it over the urinal from my wrist when the time comes.

Old 02-22-2019   #42
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Either you have huge and baggy jeans, or it is bulging out and uncomfortable. I agree with Nick. That said, I did used to carry the GR in the inside pocket of my jacket and that was completely transparent and easy. To me, that is what I mean when I say pocket-able. Unfortunately, that is only for certain times of the year. Anything heavier than a GR tends to swing in your pocket and that is uncomfortable IMO. So, sure, fit your speed graphic in your special pocket... but just because it can fit doesn`t mean it is practical. Practicality is what Nick is talking about.
Correct. AND thank you. Somebody gets it. My faith in RFF is somewhat restored. That said, the GR everyone seems to love is the classic example of what I consider a 1/2-camera.

Old 02-22-2019   #43
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
My Fuji GA645 camera fits in my jacket pocket. It's a great travel camera during jacket season.
Correct. AND thank you. Somebody gets it. My faith in RFF is somewhat restored.

Old 02-22-2019   #44
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
Yes! The Olympus XA line! Maybe a couple digitals. But guess what? That's about it. (Yes -- I'm sure there were others maybe -- some Rollei or Minox that I'm sure RFF members will "testily" point out...) For the sake of argument I will thus proclaim, "There are virtually NO truly pocketable cameras -- other than your cell phone..."

Now others will say, the (insert brand, insert camera) is pocketable! Why I carry one in my giant pocketed cargo pants that's weged in there with a shoe horn and requires a pair of long nose pliers to extract.

But who really needs pocketable? It's silly. The solution is simple and thus... Forget you own giant heavy zooms. Getchyer big honkin' DSLR or ever so slighty less honkin' mirrorless, or film rangefinder attach a small, light prime lens. Not one of those new five pounder monstrosities (lookin' at you Sigma Art),

THEN, invest in something called "a camera strap". You might see actors playing photographers using these in old movies from the 60's. The camera hangs over your chest. Be careful. Don't buy a "wrist strap". They are annoying as you'll soon grow tired of having a camera dangling from your wrist all day. You will want to have coffee, enjoy a delicious sandwich, or use a rest room and that can makes things cumbersome. You don't want one of those ridiculous and expensive "sling" things. Please. They're absurd.

Nope. Just a regular camera strap. Leave with a small light prime lens (which means you'll likely have to buy an old one). Forget those small what I call "1/2 cameras" like the Ricoh GR and assorted Fuji whatevers that lop off 1/2 the features (so you can then buy the other 1/2 of your camera as aftermarket accessories at crazy inflated prices.)

The GRs and Fujis are too small! That's right. They're too small for a camera strap, which means you'll be holding them in your hand, have them dangling annoyingly from a wrist strap, or ask your wife or luva to put it in their purse. In fact, you might ask them if they're bringing their larger purse for you to use as a camera bag later in the day.

So to recap. There really aren't any pockatable cameras. 1/2-camera options like the Ricoh GRs and Fuji X-whateveres have horrible ergos because they are too small and light for a camera strap, but too large for your pocket so you have to carry them like a baby all day. Invest in a camera strap, leave the bag at home, carry one small light prime lens of a focal length of your choosing on a full(not half)camera, preferably a full frame DSLR.

Tips
If you're worried you might look geeky with a normal camera strap. I borrowed my "coo' look'" from Jimmy Page, who made his guitar teachers cringe by playing his guitar at knee-level instead of the center of his chest. For some reason this looks coo' but the center of the chest looks silly. I use an extra long strap and sling the camera around my back. Make sure it's leather.

I think the "regular old cameras strap" fell out of favor because of that whole "foreign tourist" thing and you think you'll not look coo'. You're shooting with a film rangefinder from 1966, fer C sakes in a sea of cell phone shooters. You already look ridiculous. Might as wll go with it.

Carry a plastic grocery bag in your back pocket in case it rains.

Here's a good one. Canpis. Leather. $20-ish bucks.
Oh my gosh. I've been carrying my GR in my pocket all this time when I really should have had a full frame dSLR on a neckstrap because the GR isn't a real camera and has horrible ergonomics and is really too big for the pocket it's been living in anyway and thank you so much for this rant which has cleared everthing up perfectly.

But seriously, you're taking the piss yeah?

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 02-22-2019   #45
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
That's exactly why the Contax T has caught my eye.
Excellent quality lens and it's pocketable too.
I had one but sold it. Lens is very good, and without the removable flash it fits easily.
However it is kind of heavy, and so sadly it did not comfortably live in my chest pocket.

For everyday use I carry lightweight plastic-bodied folding or so-called "capsule" cameras.

Chris

Old 02-22-2019   #46
pschauss

No one has mentioned the Super Ikonta 531, medium format at about the same size as a Barnak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-22-2019   #47
ruby.monkey

Hmm.

Ricoh GR. Jeans-pocketable.
Fuji X100F. Coat-pocketable.
Fuji X-E2s. Coat-pocketable.
Fuji X-Pro2. Strappable.
Fuji X-T2 wioth battery grip. Strappable.

All have fine ergonomics, and all will fit nicely in a Hadley Pro. I see no problems with carrying any of them.

Old 02-22-2019   #48
Ambro51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschauss View Post
No one has mentioned the Super Ikonta 531, medium format at about the same size as a Barnak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How Very True! MF in your pocket, plus that awe inspiring snap down instant opening door, lens zipping out, shutter snapped all in the wink of an eye. And, you get a real quality image.

Old 02-22-2019   #49
d.dulin

some others may have mentioned it but my leica iid and elmar 50 3.5 were comfortably pocketable in pants pockets.

Old 02-22-2019   #50
emraphoto

Quote:
Oh -- c'mon. I've held the GR. Not doubting you but that has to be (a) uncomforable. And (b) what's the point of having an "at the ready" camera that's supposed to be for "capturing the decisisve moment" and "street photography" that's tucked away in your jeans?
not a street photographer and not in pursuit of any 'decisive moments' so not really an issue. as for the comfort level, i wouldn't do it if it were uncomfortable. that would be on the primary reason i shoot a GR

Old 02-22-2019   #51
emraphoto

Quote:
Correct. AND thank you. Somebody gets it. My faith in RFF is somewhat restored. That said, the GR everyone seems to love is the classic example of what I consider a 1/2-camera.
what's a 1/2 camera Nick?

Old 02-22-2019   #52
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
I think it is sort of like half a thread?

Old 02-22-2019   #53
giganova

Olympus MJU and Minox 35 are truly pocketable. I have a bunch of them.

Since I'm poor
Old 02-22-2019   #54
Tim Murphy

Since I'm poor

Dear Board,

My $ 30.00 Canon S90 fits in my wallet, if I sit carefully.

Regards,
Tim Murphy
Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 02-22-2019   #55
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
I think it is sort of like half a thread?
Is that a thread where half the posts are by members youíve blocked? They never make sense.

Old 02-22-2019   #56
Archiver

So much of this depends on size of pocket, ease of use, and tolerance of quality.

For years, the Ricoh GRD III and GR were my pocket cameras, with neck straps (they are fine on neck straps) or on a wrist strap (and I find nothing wrong with that). My current pocket camera is the Sony RX0, a totall unergonomic block of aluminium alloy intended for use as a production and crash video camera. But it spits out fantastic 1 inch sensor 24mm equivalent raw files, and I use it all the time, just about every day. I always wear a jacket regardless of the weather, so I never have trouble putting a compact camera in a pocket.

As for using a smallish SLR/rangefinder with a prime on a good neck strap: this is fun and easy, I have a stylish parka with pockets large enough to hold a Zeiss Ikon and 28mm Biogon. But can get cumbersome if you've got to do any high mobility stuff like running or hiking, and sometimes, having visible camera is an invitation for thieves or muggers. So pocket camera it is.

Putting a camera in a pocket totally works for me. And if I want to be 'ready in an instant' I can carry the camera in my hand on a wrist strap. I've done weeks of holiday with a Ricoh GRD III on a thin strap around my neck, and every day there is a camera in my pocket.

Old 02-23-2019   #57
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
how big is a pocket?
This is the real issue here.
With the correct apparel, any camera is pocket-able.
My grandfather had a jacket that he used for pheasant hunting and I'd wager he could have carried any thing from Minox to Sinar in that.
I suppose this might not be ideal in the summer.

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 02-23-2019   #58
robert blu
quiet photographer

It seems me that Bruce Davidson when shot his famous "Brooklyn Gang" had the pocket of his jacket modified (enlarged) in order to accommodate a camera in them.

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-23-2019   #59
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
It seems me that Bruce Davidson when shot his famous "Brooklyn Gang" had the pocket of his jacket modified (enlarged) in order to accommodate a camera in them.

robert
Every camera is ďpocketableĒ, provided it comes with an appropriate sized pocket for the new owner to stitch onto whatever apparel they want.

Old 02-23-2019   #60
jsrockit

So ... basically it comes down to if we are talking about tight jeans vs. baggy cargo pants or pants vs. jacket pockets? Weight doesn`t seem to bother some, and it bother others. I could never put a Leica LTM camera in my pocket and feel good... way too heavy and would just swing in my pocket all day. However... a disclaimer. I don`t wear jewelry, I don`t wear hip packs, I don`t wear anything extra. I see guys walk around with like 5 devices clipped to their belt i.e. cell phone, keys, little hip pack, etc. It is just not for me. I would imagine a guy that does that would have no problem putting a bunch of crap in his pockets including a heavy camera.

Old 02-23-2019   #61
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
So ... basically it comes down to if we are talking about tight jeans vs. baggy cargo pants or pants vs. jacket pockets? Weight doesn`t seem to bother some, and it bother others. I could never put a Leica LTM camera in my pocket and feel good... way too heavy and would just swing in my pocket all day. However... a disclaimer. I don`t wear jewelry, I don`t wear hip packs, I don`t wear anything extra. I see guys walk around with like 5 devices clipped to their belt i.e. cell phone, keys, little hip pack, etc. It is just not for me. I would imagine a guy that does that would have no problem putting a bunch of crap in his pockets including a heavy camera.
Iím with you. I donít like to carry stuff. I donít even carry a wallet, just a loose card and some cash. I could never put a camera in my pocket, any pocket. Too heavy.
Also, I donít see how any film camera could be pants pocketable. A film canister is already too thick and uncomfortable for a pant pocket, and a film camera has to be at least that thick.

Old 02-23-2019   #62
kram

When youvare in a country where the weather means you you most likely wear a coat, you have bigger pockets to hand. Minolta TC-1, Contax T and minix Gt35. Rollei 35S is really the limit weight wise IMHO. MINOX and TC-1 OK for decent shirt pockets

Old 02-23-2019   #63
Dogman

I carry my GRII in my pocket. I have a strap on my X100S.

If you can't carry your GRII in your pocket, your pants are probably too tight.

Blanket statement that there is no pocketable camera is hyperbole. And kinda silly.

Everyone doesn't have the same body type or wear the same fit in their clothes.

Old 02-23-2019   #64
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Blanket statement that there is no pocketable camera is hyperbole. And kinda silly.
I 100% agree. - Wear a pair of pants with decent sized pockets.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and a Voigtlander Vito II
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtlšnder Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 02-23-2019   #65
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
I 100% agree. - Wear a pair of pants with decent sized pockets.
I wear regular straight leg jeans (not slim or super tight) and sure, the GR can fit... but it doesn`t feel good when I sit. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Old 02-23-2019   #66
michaelwj
----------------

Just because it can, doesn’t mean it should, or that it’ll be comfortable.

I live in Brisbane. I wear a jacket on average never. I have pockets in my (non cargo) shorts and pockets in my jeans. No other clothing I wear has pockets.

I have one truly pocketable camera. It’s my phone.

Old 02-23-2019   #67
Brian Atherton

My Rollei 6008 Integral, while rather tight in my pockets, does fit easily in my wifeís bag.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-23-2019   #68
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
It's just the tiresome formulaic way some communicate these days when they can't communicate their ideas without putting people down.

A) Your approach sucks.
B) That camera you love isn't even a real camera. It's a half camera.
C) If you happen to be using the right camera that I would approve of you're probably using the wrong lens. And your strap sucks. And you're holding it wrong. You look bad.
D) Pro tip! - Change your approach and equipment to match mine, the only right way.

Repeat for any photographic subject.

Old 02-23-2019   #69
retinax

Quote:
I wear regular straight leg jeans (not slim or super tight) and sure, the GR can fit... but it doesn`t feel good when I sit. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Sure, I've found a solution for this though: take it out of the pocket when sitting down for longer. I do the same with my wallet and phone.

Old 02-23-2019   #70
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Sure, I've found a solution for this though: take it out of the pocket when sitting down for longer. I do the same with my wallet and phone.
...and please do not forget anything on the table

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-23-2019   #71
nightfly

How are you liking that RX0?

I recently saw something about them and am very curious.

How is it to use in practice and do you have any images to share or link to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
My current pocket camera is the Sony RX0, a totall unergonomic block of aluminium alloy intended for use as a production and crash video camera. But it spits out fantastic 1 inch sensor 24mm equivalent raw files, and I use it all the time, just about every day. I always wear a jacket regardless of the weather, so I never have trouble putting a compact camera in a pocket..

Old 02-23-2019   #72
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Olympus MJU and Minox 35 are truly pocketable.
I have a bunch of them.
I have Olympus mju 1 and Minox 35ML models, along with Chinon Bellami, Olympus XA2 and XA3,
Ricoh FF-1s, Voigtlander Vito C models, plus some others I'm forgetting.

All are truly pocketable - and lightweight - 35mm full-frame film cameras.

Chris

Old 02-23-2019   #73
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

The Leica II fits in my blue jeans pocket easily when I'm riding the bike and the lens isn't even collapsible. I'll admit they aren't skinny jeans.

Old 02-23-2019   #74
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
A 1/2 camera is something like the GR.

No VF (though you can purchase one for $250, about 1/2 the cost of the camera)

"Mirrorless" (i.e. no mirror, thus a lack of a feature positioned as "a feature")

No built-in flash

Does it have a real shutter? I'm gonna say "no". If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Cropped sensor --- so 1/2 a sensor

=

(One example of a...) 1/2 Camera.

Old 02-23-2019   #75
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

That is a total steaming crock of fecal matter.
Phil Forrest

Old 02-23-2019   #76
Bill Clark

It depends on how deep your pockets are.

Old 02-23-2019   #77
kuuan
loves old lenses

The Minox 35GT ( with 35mm fixed lens ) that I had years ago, definitely fit into my jeans pocket. I take it that Rollei 35 should, Olympus XA possibly could.
A digital Sony RX100 ( mine is the RX100iii with 24-70mm equiv.lens ) fits into my pocket too.

Old 02-23-2019   #78
NickTrop

What's that old adage? How do you upset people online? Express an opinion and wait.

So. Here's my opinion expressed less - I dunno, comically? Sarcastically? There really are very few truly pocketable cameras in my opinion other than cell phones. Some I've read on this thread of people claiming to put a particular camera in their jeans pocket? Not sure what jeans you're wearing, and maybe you can? In fact, I've tried this and have found this annoying and uncomfortable. To each his own.

But, I continued, why is this even important? Why is size such a big deal? Why not pick up a full featured -- and I know they're on their way out (IMO thanks to marketeering...), DSLR that -- has a proper viewfinder (not an accessory that costs 1/2 the price of a camera LIKE the Ricoh GR does...) and (shriek) a mirror, and (shriek) a convenient built-in flash (that, yes, comes in handy...) and (shriek) an actual proper mechanical shutter... ???

So I don't care for such cameras as the Ricoh GRs given their costand I wouldn't own one at either a new or used prices. You are welcome to love them! Be my guest. I call such cameras "1/2 - cameras". 50% of a camera -- 100% of the cost. And yes, that's a snark. And "no" I don't care for such cameras.

That's my opinion of these cameras. No like-y. You, on the other hand, are welcome to love them! Get objectophilia, walk the aisle, and marry the danged thing. Be my guest. It's not a value judgement on my part. Buy/use whatever the h**l camera you want -- don't worry about what "I" think of it.

So, the question I pose is thus. Why is "pocketability" a big deal? Why are cameras getting smaller at the cost of standard features (but charging the same price if not more)? And "in the old days" people carried full-sized and full featured cameras that were not so concerned about size so much, but just used a normal camera strap, and didn't seem to mind?

Also -- some smaller sized cameras (again) in my opinion actually have bad ergos in this regard. They're too small for a strap, but they're too large to comforatably be "pocketable". In addition to this, they also have more fiddly buttons, do not accomodate larger fingers too well... The ergos actually diminish! Worse ergos than larger cameras -- but not quite accomplishing their goal of pocketability. Perhaps this is why the Leicas, Nikons, and Canons weren't so obsessed with size over the years?

And I'll give you an example. Love this camera -- one of my all time faves. Pentax PC35AF. Would you put a camera strap on it? No, that would be silly. Is it small enough to fit in your pocket? No. (Although a few people around here might try it). So, you wind up having the thing dangle from your wrist on a wrist strap, or you hold it, or you set it down somewhere and worry you'll forget it or knock it to the floor...

And many cameras today fall into this "tween" size range. In my opinion just get a regular sized camera that doesn't lop off features for the sake of size, put "a" standard prime lens on it, and use an old-school cameras strap. And another thing -- a lot of these smaller "pocketable" cameras (not to bash it) like the GR (again) are fixed lens cameras. The lens might be terrific -- but you're stuck with it. With an interchangable lens camera I can put whatever focal length on it. Huge advantage. Use that pocket for another lens. To me (again me) I'll take a "lowly" Nikon D5300 entry-level DSLR that has (a flash, a viewfinder, a proper shutter) for a few hundred bucks that I can attach any number of prime lenses to over the Ricoh. But that's just me.

Is this opinion something to get wound up about?

Chill!

And here's another 1/2 camera I would never own. Those Sony RX abominations. The online photo "press" bounces off the walls like the Cocoa Puffs bird over these things as soon as they came out. No viewfinder, a "terrific" 1" sensor (rolls eyes). How much do you want for that thing? A hahahaha! Oh -- it's "pocketable" you say? Hence the cost? No thanks. It's not as pocketable as my cell that I can take pics with, talk, text, listen to music, and play a game of chess and blackjack on.

Old 02-23-2019   #79
leica M2 fan

I fully agree- just put a strap on it. They actually work fine.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 02-23-2019   #80
bcostin

I have a nice little Konica AA35 half-frame that I really like; my father originally bought it for my grandmother to use on vacations. For full-frame my XAs and Retina folders are the closest.

But I don't really keep cameras in my pants pockets because it's uncomfortable. For small cameras I use belt cases or a small bag. In the winter I can fit lots of possibilities in jacket pockets, usually a couple small primes.

I always use a neck/shoulder strap or a wrist strap. Both because I'm clumsy and because I like to keep my hands free. I don't mind looking like that guy who always has a camera, because I'm that guy who always has a camera.