Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Olympus M1
Old 12-26-2018   #3681
F6Roger

Olympus M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravilamir View Post
Is that the one that a certain very nice shop in Folkestone had on sale?
It should be in great condition.
Operation is the same as any OM-1. The meter had a system that would deflect the needle sharply when out of range. I've never seem that on mine, but mine has had 2 CLA and I am betting in one of them they replaced the meter board.

Hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
Thanks for that Ricardo. You guessed right, my M1 came from the 'very nice shop in Folkstone'
The only visible wear/damage is the usual cracked flash shoe, but as I don't use flash that won't be a problem.
Just got to keep an eye out for a M-SYSTEM 50/1.4 now, as the finder gets rather dark with the supplied 28/3.5.
It'snice to go 'compact' with the M/OM's after hauling around the F6 / 24-70 combo!

Old 12-26-2018   #3682
Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6Roger View Post
Thanks for that Ricardo. You guessed right, my M1 came from the 'very nice shop in Folkstone'
The only visible wear/damage is the usual cracked flash shoe, but as I don't use flash that won't be a problem.
Just got to keep an eye out for a M-SYSTEM 50/1.4 now, as the finder gets rather dark with the supplied 28/3.5.
It'snice to go 'compact' with the M/OM's after hauling around the F6 / 24-70 combo!
I have the 1.8 and the 1.4 and find the 1.8 much sharper and also smaller.

Old 12-26-2018   #3683
peterm1

I recently picked up a copy of the Olympus OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8 in very nice - almost mint , condition. Does anyone have any experience of this lens? It seems to have a good reputation. It is most certainly both small and light. I also noticed that some of the lenses for the Pen F system seem well regarded. Any suggestions (I was thinking of picking up the little 100mm f3.5 for that system, having a fetish for that focal length). Any opinions able to be offered???

Old 12-26-2018   #3684
jmilkins
Digited User

I have the 85mm f2 and the 100mm f2.8 OM Zuikos Peter, and I have a memory of reading somewhere that the 100mm is slightly sharper. I’ve used the 80mm a bit more for the f2 aperture but they are great lenses. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it with your signature style!

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 12-26-2018   #3685
jmilkins
Digited User

Oh an I imagine you know about the wonderful Photography in Malaysia OM pages - http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...mls/100mm1.htm

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 12-26-2018   #3686
lynnb

OM, OM Zuiko 85mm f/2, APX100 in Rodinal 1+50

portrait #129 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr
Flickr

Using an M1
Old 12-27-2018   #3687
F6Roger

Using an M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I have the 1.8 and the 1.4 and find the 1.8 much sharper and also smaller.
Thanks for that Fraser, I'll give my OM 50/1.8 and 1.4 a try when I've got over my latest medical probs and can get out in some nice weather. I'm not too worried about the size/weight difference of the 1.8 'n 1.4 after hauling around the F6 24/70 combo, let alone the F4s!! I have to keep checking that I haven't dropped anything due to the lack of weight on my shoulder

Old 12-28-2018   #3688
ravilamir

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6Roger View Post
You're welcome.
I recommend the 50/1.8 as well. My M-SYSTEM 50mm is very good and small.

Olympus M-1, OM-1/N, OM-2/N, OM-4, OM-4Ti
A bunch of Nikons

Old 01-04-2019   #3689
j.scooter

Has anyone heard from John Hermanson of zuiko.com recently?

In mid December I sent my zuiko 28 f2 to John as per the instructions on his website. I created a label which had my name, contact info and a description of what was wrong with the lens. This label was to go in the box. I filled out the paperwork which included my return address.

On my return from the post office digging around my camera bag I find this fancy label..... (not my smartest moment)

To explain why he would get a box with no contact info I emailed a John at the email address on his website (dec 15). I sent a follow up on Dec 24. I have not had a response from John yet.

I understand that the holidays are busy. I would just like confirmation that he did receive the lens, tracking indicates that it was left at or near mailbox and that he knows that the lens is mine.

This is my first time dealing with John, he has a great reputation and has glowing reviews on many of the forums that I browse. Is this lack of communication normal? Does anyone have an alternate method of reaching him?

Old 01-04-2019   #3690
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
I recently picked up a copy of the Olympus OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8 in very nice - almost mint , condition. Does anyone have any experience of this lens?
Hi Peter, I'm not sure if my reply is any good after a while but the OM Zuiko 100/2.8 is a very practical focal length for me and wide open I find it rather sharp in detail although just a touch lower contrast wide open but that is no problem. The out of focus areas are really smooth for it's type and the angle of view very practical. The colour is consistent like all Zuiko's and the contrast is good to excellent from f4. The best thing is the size. It is a small and light lens. Practical and easy to carry. A joy to use. I prefer the later multi-coated versions because they tend to work best on digital I find, like my Sony a7. Sharpness is plenty good, I cannot see how one cannot acquire a sharp image with it. Even wide open, slight increase in contrast in Photoshop or what ever is not an issue. It does not render like an 85/2 or Sonnar type, if you want a Sonnar - well, you know who you are but this is one of the best little telephoto lenses out there. If used on digital, the contrast is just right even wide open.

Here are some examples:

Sony a7, OM Zuiko 100/2.8 MC @ f2.8, VSCO Astia Filter

Wallaroo Sunset and Pine Silhouette

Wallaroo Sunset

Sports Day Portrait
Sony a7, OM Zuiko 100/2.8 MC @ f2.8, VSCO Provia Filter

Old 01-04-2019   #3691
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
Has anyone heard from John Hermanson of zuiko.com recently?

In mid December I sent my zuiko 28 f2 to John as per the instructions on his website. I created a label which had my name, contact info and a description of what was wrong with the lens. This label was to go in the box. I filled out the paperwork which included my return address.

On my return from the post office digging around my camera bag I find this fancy label..... (not my smartest moment)

To explain why he would get a box with no contact info I emailed a John at the email address on his website (dec 15). I sent a follow up on Dec 24. I have not had a response from John yet.

I understand that the holidays are busy. I would just like confirmation that he did receive the lens, tracking indicates that it was left at or near mailbox and that he knows that the lens is mine.

This is my first time dealing with John, he has a great reputation and has glowing reviews on many of the forums that I browse. Is this lack of communication normal? Does anyone have an alternate method of reaching him?
I think he has another full time job if I remember correctly. Maybe he is away for Xmas too. Isn't there a Tel number you can call?

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 01-05-2019   #3692
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by baduch View Post
om-1, zuiko 100mm f2.8, superia 200

om-1, zuiko 35mm f2.8 or 50mm f1.8 (forget), superia 200
This post made me buy an OM-1 Honestly, I was close to OMs more than once. Had my father decided in 1980 to buy Olympus rather than Minolta, my life would have been different

The OM-1n I bought seems to have the diode built-in and the seller still had a mercury cell in the battery compartment (made in W-Germany ... - which tells me something). Very clean machine, otherwise. Proper job done also on the battery compartment screw replacement (checked myself) and reportedly on the removal of the finder foam.

Actually I was prepared to do the soldering job myself as I could not figure out, whether or not the update was done, so I opened the bottom plate, when the beauty arrived.

The camera is awesome, really. Large finder, small footprint. It does actually feel and is smaller compared to my first camera I bought in 1982 (and still own): the FM2.

Somehow I feel the early Olympuses (not sure the greek gods allow for plural here), very clean button design with their ducked in prism and default absence of the hot shoe just look the best. The 3/4(ti)s have this great spot metering system, though. More to come

Old 01-05-2019   #3693
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
I think he has another full time job if I remember correctly. Maybe he is away for Xmas too. Isn't there a Tel number you can call?
He replied to my mail mid December on a question I had.

Old 01-05-2019   #3694
j.scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
He replied to my mail mid December on a question I had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
Thanks Guys.
After a quick search I wasnít able to find a phone number. I will look again.

Old 01-05-2019   #3695
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Thanks Guys.
I believe John is the head of the service department at Tamron, and repairs Olympus nights and weekends. I suspect he took time off over the holidays.

Old 01-06-2019   #3696
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Thanks Guys.
This is what his site says:
Quote:
At this time we have no primary telephone number, please limit all contact to email.
He was stating this email in his reply to me:

Old 01-06-2019   #3697
j.scooter

Thanks for that.

I have just tried the verizon email. I have been writing to the zoho.com address.
Fingers crossed.

Old 01-07-2019   #3698
Photon42
burn the box

I just completed the diode instalment on my new (to me) OM1n. First time I did something like that, but it was actually doable. I do not have experience in soldering or repairing cameras, really. Soldered some wires here and there, this I still have a smallish soldering iron in the household. Imperative for me was the existence of a video / documentation of the process.

Old 01-09-2019   #3699
j.scooter

Just heard from John. He has received my lens, all is good. Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Last edited by j.scooter : 01-09-2019 at 12:30. Reason: Typo

Old 01-16-2019   #3700
j.scooter

OM 4T Zuiko 21 3.5 Ultrafine Xtreme 400 @ 800 D76

Fooling around with the 4T I got from Robert (rhl-oregon). Very Happy with it so far, looks like I could use a hood for the 21 but it has a dented filter ring so i will have to see if I can get that fixed first.

Old 01-17-2019   #3701
Photon42
burn the box

Looks like a great lens. Nice shots.

Old 02-15-2019   #3702
Photon42
burn the box

Old 02-15-2019   #3703
Photon42
burn the box

Old 02-16-2019   #3704
Artingei

Again, I went the Zuiko road after some years of mostly RF'ed abstinence. What a view!

OM-10 with 28 3.5f (love the off-plane metering and weight, will be my backup body). ORWO UN54 or Foma 100 in Rodinal 1:25.

Old 02-17-2019   #3705
kuvvy

Got a lovely OM outfit, OM1n, 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4 & 85/2. All excellent but that could be due to me rarely using it. My Fuji’s get the most use and I’m in two minds as to whether to part with the OM gear. When I pick it up tho it feels great I;the hand compared to many others.
I rarely shoot film these days. Occasionally I’ll put a roll in a compact but don’t get many keepers.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 02-17-2019   #3706
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvvy View Post
Got a lovely OM outfit, OM1n, 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4 & 85/2. All excellent but that could be due to me rarely using it. My Fujiís get the most use and Iím in two minds as to whether to part with the OM gear. When I pick it up tho it feels great I;the hand compared to many others.
I rarely shoot film these days. Occasionally Iíll put a roll in a compact but donít get many keepers.
If you don't need the money I would say keep it. I mostly use Nikon but every now and then I put a film in my om1 and om2 and will always get a pic I like. The zuiko 50f1.4 is better lens in every possible way to the AF-Nikkor 50 f1.8 D that I usually use.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 02-17-2019   #3707
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artingei View Post
Again, I went the Zuiko road after some years of mostly RF'ed abstinence. What a view!

OM-10 with 28 3.5f (love the off-plane metering and weight, will be my backup body). ORWO UN54 or Foma 100 in Rodinal 1:25.
The Zuiko 28 f/3.5 is by far my personal best wide angle lens I have ever used (and I have used the Zuiko 28 2.8, the Sigma 28 2.8, the Minolta 28 2.8, the Pentax and Tamron equivalents and the Nikkor AIS 28 2.8 although the Nikkor is pretty badly scratched).

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 02-17-2019   #3708
Artingei

It's a good 28mm lens @p.giannakis, but I think my CV 28 3.5 Color Skopar LTM is slightly better in every aspect. The Zuiko has noticeable distortion which drives me kind of crazy.

Old 02-17-2019   #3709
markbakovic

god I hate OM-10s
(probably unfairly... due to sharing two with my dad, and only one "manual attachment" [stupid thing #1] between us... OMs should have a shutter bezel around the lens mount damnit! Admittedly the only Zuiko lens involved was a mangy 1.8 50 with a sticky iris... [stupid, on our part, thing #2])
so I'm glad someone likes one!
That episode does make me appreciate my -40 for being a much better "cheap" OM though and I've been getting back into using it and my mum's OM-1 a fair bit recently. Not much Zuiko glass in the camera cupboard though (a "kit" 50 on each body), reading through here I see some love for the 85 (maybe my next lens?), 100 and 28, is there a 150(ish) that's good? How does the 200/4 compare to, say a 200/3.5 Takumar? I at one stage considered leaving mount Olympus and cracking open a bottle of Asahi (Pentax - bought a SP500+55&200 Takumar set), but might vacillate back to "my roots" after all (and need to divest myself of the losing outfit => expand the winning one)

Old 03-04-2019   #3710
Photon42
burn the box

Old 03-04-2019   #3711
jcb4718

I also have the OM 28mm f3.5 and the Voigtlander (CV) 28mm f3.5. Both are fine lenses but in a side-by-side comparison, the CV images have more 'punch'. The CV has more micro-contrast and the images look 'crisper'.

Old 03-04-2019   #3712
Artingei

OM-10 and OM-1 with the 28mm f2 on Foma 100 and 400, each pushed +1 in Rodinal

Old 03-04-2019   #3713
wjlapier

A recent acquisition--OM2 with 28/3.5 lens. The body looks very well used and will need light seals but the shutter sounds great. Viewfinder nice. Lens is very clean. Nice little camera.

Old 03-04-2019   #3714
Paulbe

wjlapier---you'll love that lens! The camera is fine too--a great way to find out just how good those OM cameras were!

Old 03-05-2019   #3715
kuvvy

Always have liked the OMs though mine is a little neglected at the mo. Gonna run a roll of Cinestill through next. Need to shoot the 85/2 I bought a while ago and never got round to really giving a workout.
Got a really nice 35/2 that I havenít used at all yet. May sell as I generally prefer wider. Must get some shots on this thread.

Paul

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 03-13-2019   #3716
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

ilford HP5Plus in HC110
Olympus OM2n - Zuiko 50 f/1.4

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Ana, Ourense, Spain. February 2019.
Old 03-13-2019   #3717
lawrence

Ana, Ourense, Spain. February 2019.

OM2n with Vivitar 35mm f1.9. Tri-X in ATM 49.

Old 03-14-2019   #3718
Jerevan
Recycled User

I bought a winder (version 2) and while it is nowhere near the Nikon F3/MD4 brick combo, I can't help but think that it sort of negates the essence of the OM, at least with smaller lenses like the 50/1.4 and the 28/2.8 I use.

I am going to "haul" it around a bit and see if I like it. Does anyone else of you use the winders?

Old 03-14-2019   #3719
sreed2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
I bought a winder (version 2) and while it is nowhere near the Nikon F3/MD4 brick combo, I can't help but think that it sort of negates the essence of the OM, at least with smaller lenses like the 50/1.4 and the 28/2.8 I use.

I am going to "haul" it around a bit and see if I like it. Does anyone else of you use the winders?
I have a love/hate relationship with the Winder 2.
Love: it advances the film quickly, and it provides a nice grip.
Hate: it is louder than I like, doesn't work with OM-1 and OM-2 at shutter speeds longer than about 1/30 (it advances the film while the shutter is still open), and that chrome strap holder metal piece at the bottom digs into my right hand.

After removing the chrome strap holder metal protrusion I find the Winder/OM combination quite comfortable to hold. I like using it now in situations where the noise won't be a bother.

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 03-14-2019   #3720
Jerevan
Recycled User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreed2006 View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with the Winder 2.
I'll see how it turns out long term for me, but yes it is loud, indeed.

Good to know about the lower limit of a 1/30 second, I guess that it hinges on the 0.3 second wind-on speed that the manual describes.

I am anyways thinking it will be relegated to daylight and faster (400/800) film, so it will be used for handheld action stuff.