Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Old 03-11-2018   #41
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Here are a couple from the Pano Lumix L100. Pocketable, 24-70 equivalent lens, all around camera. If it has a flaw, it's the small size.

Old 03-11-2018   #42
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
I just joined the Micro Four Thirds club!
Booooo ... traiter!

Old 12-28-2018   #43
Larry H-L

I walked into a camera store that specializes in used photo gear yesterday, looking for an 85mm lens for Sony, and somehow walked out of the store with a mint used Oly Pen F instead. Not sure how that happened exactly? Too cute I guess.

Video was the reason for my initial interest in m4/3 years ago, so I've always gone with Panasonic previously.

The Olympus menus are not as bad as some say, but the Panasonic menu display sure seems easier.

Getting to the reason for this post, do you Pen F fans have any recommendations / suggestions for the custom function button configuration?

I find function #1 to be in an awkward position for back-button focus. And I haven’t figured out how to shoot in manual focus, yet still have back button available. (That's super easy to do on a Panasonic body).

The front custom button is interesting, what do you use it for? Anyone using it for “front-button” focus?

Old 12-28-2018   #44
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I didn't know it was a club.

I've had FourThirds format cameras of various types since 2007, both Olympus and Panasonic systems. Still have an E-1, E-M1, and E-PL7 although I haven't used them in a while. The Olympus and Panasonic-Leica lenses are terrific. I made (and sold/exhibited/etc) a lot of work with these cameras in the latter part of the '00s and early 20-teens. The E-1 remains my all time favorite DSLR.

The E-M1 and E-PL7 cameras are hugely configurable and customizable, thus the complex menu system. Once you 'get' the logic of it, it's good (and of course it doesn't make much difference once you've got the camera configured and are just shooting with it) but it's not for those who use a camera once in a great while and want to change configuration frequently as well. When I was using the E-1, E-5, then E-M1 every day, I'd developed my configuration setups in the first week or three and then it was just use the camera, a lot.

My favorite lenses for this system are the Olympus ZD 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 ED, the Panasonic-Leica Summilux-DG 25mm f/1.4 ASPH, the Panasonic-Leica Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH, the Olympus ZD 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5, and the Olympus M.Zuiko 85mm f/1.8, the Olympus ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro, and the Olympus ZD 50mm f/2 Macro. The ZD series lenses are from the DSLR system, but add the mount adapter and they work perfectly on the E-M1 and E-PL7.

I use these cameras so infrequently now that I should sell them and clear the space in the closet, but they're still such good photographer's tools that I remain reluctant to.

G

Old 12-28-2018   #45
Larry H-L

Thanks for the note Godfrey, yes you should probably sell / trade some of 4/3 and m4/3 gear and get some Leica stuff (I think you are now using the "new" CL)?

After cruising through the Oly menus a few dozen times, I finally got it figured out.

I settled on assigning the rear F1 button to switch from MF to AF, put the front function button on S-AF, and reset the mode of the AFL/AEL (to mode 2 or 3?) to allow the S-AF front button to still engage if needed while in manual focus mode.

It is now similar to my Panasonic function button setup and seems to work well.

Old 12-28-2018   #46
Godfrey
somewhat colored

You're welcome.

Happily, I already have everything in Leica gear that I need, and then some. I may well put the Oly gear up for sale: Good gear shouldn't just sit.

G

Old 12-28-2018   #47
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

CL has no IBIS and something like three overpriced, slow lens.

I have my Oly classic pinhole lens cap and almost matching Oly OVF.
If I ever need cute and advanced, not big camera it is going to be Pen F.

Old 12-28-2018   #48
Dogman

Like Godfrey, I have a mess of standard 4/3 and micro 4/3 equipment I should get rid of. I just don't use it enough these days. Like many old timers, I've come under the spell of Fuji and its superb lenses.

I started using micro 4/3 with the Olympus E-P1 and Panasonic Lumix G1 so I was there from the beginning of the format. I actually got into the Olympus 4/3 system after using micro 4/3. The 4/3 stuff was a smaller, lightweight second DSLR system to my Canon gear. Today I still occasionally use my E-M1 but mainly I have it so I can use the Olympus 50-200 2.8-3.5 zoom with an adapter. Handy lens that's lightweight and easily handheld with a 1.4X extender. And I also love the Pana-Leica 15mm and 25mm Summicrons--excellent lenses.

Old 12-28-2018   #49
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
CL has no IBIS and something like three overpriced, slow lens. ...
Yes, the CL has no IBIS.

The TL lens line designed for APS-C format Leica cameras (T, TL, TL2, and CL) includes seven lenses (three zooms, four primes) at present including the APO-Summilux-TL 35mm f/1.4 ASPH and Summicron-TL 23mm f/2 ASPH. All the SL series lenses are also native on the CL lens mount (three zooms, four primes again), and two zooms include OIS. Nearly all the lenses for M and R cameras also fit the CL using the M Adapter L, R Adapter M, and R Adapter L mount adapters and have lens profiles included in the CL to optimize their performance for the CL sensor.

That includes dozens of f/2.8, f/2, f/1.4, and faster lenses as well, without even considering the other brands like Zeiss, Voigtländer, etc.

You might try getting your facts straight before commenting.