Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

35mm summicron v4 - Different versions? Canada vs Germany?
Old 04-12-2018   #1
bsandwich

35mm summicron v4 - Different versions? Canada vs Germany?

I‘m sure this has been discussed here before, but my searches only turn up threads about differences between the versions of 35 Summicrons. I’m asking about differences among v4 summicrons.

Im in the market for a v4 35mm and came across two examples. One with “Made in Canada” instead of the serial number on the identity ring, and another with the serial number and e39 in the identity ring. Even though the lens with made in Canada in the identity ring comes with the lens hood, the other lens is more expensive. Both appear to be in comparable conditions. Both appear to be made in Canada lenses.

Searching led me to a ken Rockwell article that talks about how to identify when and where your lens was made based on the fonts along the barrel. But the article doesn’t talk about what differences if any there are among these subversions? Anyone have any input?

Old 04-12-2018   #2
splitimageview

There were German and Canadian versions, of course. I'm unaware of any differences other than labeling.

Old 04-12-2018   #3
rfaspen

Unfortunately or fortunately, there are quite a few minor variations. Most are just inconsequential differences in engraving, etc. However, there was one more substantial variation in the v4 35 summicron that had to do with the actual materials used in lens construction. I do not remember the details exactly, but one version has all metal construction, and the other has some plastic components internally. I wish I remembered more about how to determine which is which, but I can't. Might be Wetzlar vs. Canada, but not necessarily....

Old 04-12-2018   #4
bsandwich

Thanks that's my suspicion too.

Old 04-12-2018   #5
bsandwich

Ah, looks like I replied too quick. That's interesting. I guess that wouldn't necessarily impact optical performance but maybe the longevity of the lens?

I've also read comments suggesting the later made in Germany version lenses might be less prone the the front coming off, as is sometimes reported with these lenses. But from what I've come across nobody is really sure.

Old 04-12-2018   #6
rfaspen

Wish I could help definitively. I too am interested in getting one of these lenses. I suspect they're all good lenses with some duds interspersed.

There are some RFF members here who are quite knowledgable and should be able to give us the scoop. Erik?

Old 04-12-2018   #7
Nigel Meaby

The optical cell in the Canadian ones is a plastic composite, in the German version it's metal

Old 04-13-2018   #8
a.noctilux

In last decades, I've own/use some Summicron 35mm version IV.
I still have two now, one Canada ("plastic") and one Germany("metalic").

The best way is weighting the lens:
133g is "plastic" and 155g is "metal"

Other details with some can help to identify the type:
- "Plastic" have serial number on back of aperture ring
- "Plastic type" has front ring around first lens "grayish" and not black plastic
of "metal type"

In use every Cron IV output same IQ.

Only the front ring that can rotate on "plastic type", so not to grab it by the hood "12524" is good idea in use.

Arnaud

Old 04-13-2018   #9
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.noctilux View Post
The best way is weighting the lens:
133g is "plastic" and 155g is "metal"
I have a "Lens made in Germany" version of the Summicron 35mm f/2 v4 (pre-asph) that has a silver chrome finish. The weight is a hefty 240 grammes. The serial number is 3612523. Beautifully finished, even prettier than the Summilux 35mm f/1.4 Steel Rim.
Boy, I wish that this one was made in black paint, but it isn't.

Erik.

Old 04-13-2018   #10
Fraser

Just weighed my German v4 and it does weigh exactly 155g so it must be all metal! I've had my lens in pieces a few times and its really not all that excitingly made, if I was looking for another one it wouldn't bother too look for Canadian or German I would either go for really cheap well used example or as they seem to develop a bit of play I would find one that has hardly been used both from a dealer with a warranty. They do seem to be climbing in price I only paid £700 ish for my a few years ago from a dealer, they seem to be almost same price as aspherical.
good luck.

Interesting!
Old 12-03-2018   #11
thafred
silver addict

Interesting!

I have a late Canadian Summicron 35mm, Serial on the front (not under tab) is 344XXXX and it weights... 154g!
Does this mean they did the revision in Canada and then continued production in Germany?

My Flickr gallery

photographer at www.seconds2real.com

Old 12-18-2018   #12
avvsergius

Quote:
Originally Posted by thafred View Post
I have a late Canadian Summicron 35mm, Serial on the front (not under tab) is 344XXXX and it weights... 154g!
Does this mean they did the revision in Canada and then continued production in Germany?
Yes, that's it. Me too I have a Canada lens 341XXXX and done with metal parts.

Old 12-25-2018   #13
k__43
Registered Film User

I had a Canadian V4 and when I got it the plastic lens part was way too loose in the cam part. I cleaned the threads added some loctide medium and it was fine for the rest of the time I owned it.
I learned never to unmount the lens by grabbing the front so this wouldn't be a problem again.

Optically it was superb.