Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 09-08-2018   #41
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
I am right there with you. I shot Kodachrome the same way and I remember when they produced the 200 and I was like, WOW, this is awesome. I only shot a few rolls of the 200, but it was really nice stuff.
I seem to recall that 200ASA seemed dizzyingly fast back then now we want ISO in the thousands.

Old 09-08-2018   #42
Rick Waldroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
I seem to recall that 200ASA seemed dizzyingly fast back then now we want ISO in the thousands.
I know. It makes you wonder how we ever got by in this world....

Old 09-08-2018   #43
Solinar
Analog Preferred

I watch the youtube video with images from the 1950'ies - right up to the Our Lady of Grapefruit image.

I was only 6 years old when the decade ended. What I remember most was that nearly everyone smoked and they did so in front of us kiddos.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RC and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 09-08-2018   #44
AAlfano

Quote:
“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”—George Orwell
You don't have to look at these images through a political prism. I watched the video and enjoyed them for the nostalgia (even though I was born in '71). Nothing wrong with that.

But I also try not to forget about the rest of American history and what other images and information might have gone down the memory hole. Just the way I look at things these day. Not judging anyone who doesn't see things the same way.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 09-08-2018   #45
presspass
filmshooter

All the political points are overwhelming the photos. We can like images from that era for themselves and many are good representations of the times, no matter how you feel about them.

Old 09-08-2018   #46
Contarama

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post

The future is uncertain. And the end is always near... (from The Doors). We are who we are because of our past and how we experience life each moment in the present.

While I do not want to be young again, I would love to have a red and white 50s Corvette to enjoy even for a brief time!!!!
Me either. I love my 85 black on black Corvette!

Old 09-08-2018   #47
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
All the political points are overwhelming the photos. We can like images from that era for themselves and many are good representations of the times, no matter how you feel about them.
I agree. I can look at photos from the past and enjoy them for themselves - a piece of social history even though we know there problematic aspects to the society they represent. Without feeling the compulsion to join the parade of people denouncing the past and ALL it represents.

The past, as they say is a foreign country. Why not leave it at that and move on? This is a photography site after all, not a site for political dialectics and enunciation of fervent slogans.

And anyway I am with xayraa33 - there is nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia, indulged by looking at some old photos. And yes, recognizing even, that there were good aspects to the era represented as well as bad. It is important to maintain perspective.

Old 09-08-2018   #48
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

To label this as being purely representative of the past and thus not indicative of the present is dismissing the fact that it was put together and titled a couple of weeks ago by a youtuber with over forty thousand subscribers.

I'll just move on from this to avoid creating any ill feeling because I respect you people totally and have little desire to justify or explain the way that video made me feel when I watched it.

The photos themselves are excellent.

Old 09-08-2018   #49
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I am 66, and still, unknown family pictures surface from a hidden place to remind of events long forgotten, happy memories, though I don't remember quite so many bathing beauties as in that colorful display. Most of my memories are black & white.

Old 09-08-2018   #50
aizan

if anything, the gallery shows that family photos ARE historically important and amateurs should know a thing or two about digital preservation.