Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Do you believe my 35 lens...
Old 01-21-2018   #1
robert blu
quiet photographer

Do you believe my 35 lens...

Yes, my 35/2 asph. stays on my M 10 since last summer.

I have other lenses, a 50 cron, 75/2.5 cv, 12/5.6 cv, heliar 50/2 anniversary edition which can be mounted on my camera but I do not feel the need or desire to use a different length.

I find using only one lens so liberating...and easy

Maybe one day I'll look for an old, very old 50 or I'll decide for that tempting Artisan 1.1 or I simply will put my 50 on and use it for a few months...

Anyone else has a similar experience? Or you like to change lenses frequently? Simply curious!

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-21-2018   #2
raid
Dad Photographer

Fearing for dust to get inside my M9 or M8 makes me stick with one lens for months at times, Robert. If you like the lens a lot, then why change it?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-21-2018   #3
charjohncarter

I started out in 35mm photography with a Leica IIIf and later a Pentax Spotmatic, so changing lenses isn't as easy as a bayonet mount. But I still tend to never change lenses in the field even though I have some easier bayonet cameras. Like you I mostly don't change lenses.

My favorite travel combo is two identical bodies: one for B&W and one for color. Then if I have to change lenses (which I rarely do) everything fits.

Old 01-21-2018   #4
Gregm61

I always said, if anyone ever came up with a digital version of the Konica Hexar with the fixed 35mm f2 I'd buy it.

The little Fuji X100-F is darn close (better actually), but my M262 and 35mm f1.4 FLE is way, way better. I keep the 35 mounted alot, but I do carry and utilize a 75 and 21 Leica as well. I can and do a vast majority of what I like with the 35, but there are subjects it's simply not good where the other two are, and this is an interchangeable lens system. Might as well take advantage of it.

Old 01-21-2018   #5
Ronald M

I started with a Waltz Envoy & 50 2.0 Nikkor fixed on it. When money became available, bought Pentax and 12 lenses. And so on thru a few camera systems.

Now using a Leica with one 50. Learn to use it. No dust issues.

Not quite the same but...
Old 01-21-2018   #6
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Not quite the same but...

Back when I was shooting for the Navy in Iraq, I had an M2 and 28/50/90 combo. I didn't want to change lenses, so I bought my M4 and had it shipped to me at Camp Fallujah. After that, my 28mm lived on my M2 and the M4 saw mostly 50mm, rarely 90mm.

Fast forward 8 years and I got a Mamiya 6MF system, all three lenses. Didn't want to change lenses so I bought another body form an RFF member and the 50mm lens stays on that body.

All because of dust, sand, whatnot.

Phil Forrest

Old 01-21-2018   #7
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
I always said, if anyone ever came up with a digital version of the Konica Hexar with the fixed 35mm f2 I'd buy it.
Sony's been making it for a while now

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/rx1r-ii-review

https://www.raylarose.com/words/sony-rx1r-ii

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/1...by-steve-huff/

Old 01-21-2018   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I have one lens, one camera sets. Two 50, two 35 and one 28. And five cameras.

Old 01-21-2018   #9
sreed2006

Robert,

For over 20 years, I used one camera and one lens. Then, after joining RFF several years ago, GAS hit hard.

Now I have over 20 working cameras, and several dozen lenses. I swap cameras and lenses almost as often as I change film (or copy images off the memory cards).

Sometimes I stick to a single lens and camera for awhile, but then the neglected cameras and lenses call my name. I do really enjoy the challenge of using different lenses, from 18mm to 500mm.

I do not have a favorite camera or lens, but when inspiration gets very low, I go back to that original camera and lens, and start all over again.

There is an old saw that using one camera and one lens is very liberating. I guess I just don't want to be that liberated.

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 01-21-2018   #10
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Was out today and changed lenses in the field several times. First time I’ve done that in a very long time. I usually head out with just one camera and one lens.

Old 01-21-2018   #11
wes loder
Photographer/Historian

I might note that D D Duncan stated in his book This is War, that every picture in the book, with one exception, were taken using a 5cm f1.5 Nikkor.

Old 01-21-2018   #12
robert blu
quiet photographer

Thanks for all the answers, interesting. Of course there is not one correct way and a wrong one, only different ways to photograph for each of us!
Nice we are all different!
Keep your answers coming!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-21-2018   #13
mkorabo

Since i got my M240 last year i have shot 99% of all my photos with the 35 Cron Asph. I am enjoying this combo so much I am actually thinking of selling my lesser used glass and getting the 35 Lux FLE & be done.

Old 01-21-2018   #14
FranZ

My Sony RX1Rm2 pairs one of today's best FF sensors with a 35mm F2.0 Sonnar and gives me the best IQ in a small package. 35mm suffices for 75% of my images and as a bonus with the fixed lens I won't have any sensor dust either.
This is not an inexpensive camera but, besides some filters, I can't spent additional money on other accessories, or lenses.

FranZ

'The question is not what you look at, but what you see' - Thoreau

Sony A7R3, RX1Rm2, RX100M6 & a lot of fun

Old 01-21-2018   #15
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranZ View Post
My Sony RX1Rm2 pairs one of today's best FF sensors with a 35mm F2.0 Sonnar and gives me the best IQ in a small package. 35mm suffices for 75% of my images and as a bonus with the fixed lens I won't have any sensor dust either.
This is not an inexpensive camera but, besides some filters, I can't spent additional money on other accessories, or lenses.
Actually you can still get sensor dust with fixed lens cameras. It makes this much worse as to clean it you need to send the camera to be serviced where they have to take it apart. Instead of doing it yourself by removing the lens.

An example:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51535237

Old 01-21-2018   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Anyone else has a similar experience? Or you like to change lenses frequently? Simply curious!
I use 50mm and 75mm equiv most of the time these days. I just feel like I make better photos when I know what will be in my frame before I bring the camera to my eye. You get used to where to stand etc. I'm just quicker this way.

Old 01-21-2018   #17
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Yes, my 35/2 asph. stays on my M 10 since last summer.

I have other lenses, a 50 cron, 75/2.5 cv, 12/5.6 cv, heliar 50/2 anniversary edition which can be mounted on my camera but I do not feel the need or desire to use a different length.

I find using only one lens so liberating...and easy

Maybe one day I'll look for an old, very old 50 or I'll decide for that tempting Artisan 1.1 or I simply will put my 50 on and use it for a few months...

robert
The only meaningful criteria is whether you are satisfied as a photographer with the resulting images.

Old 01-21-2018   #18
back alley
IMAGES

if i buy a new lens or new to me lens i tend to use it as my only lens for awhile so i can get used to it.
i normally carry my xe3 with the 27 most days but i bought a nice used 18 yesterday and it's now on my camera for everyday use...i might carry the 35 with me also so i have a 'kit' available to me.

Old 01-21-2018   #19
fish1991222

To be honest, I've only been using my CV 35/2.5 classic on my M6 since the day I bought it (almost one year). I had another 50 mm lens but finally I sold it since I found using just one lens feels so good.

Old 01-21-2018   #20
rfaspen

Interesting to read the responses. I'm somewhere in the middle.

I dislike changing lenses because of vulnerability, but if I need a certain FL for the shot, the lens must be changed and it will be changed. But, I tend to leave well enough alone if there's no motivation to change. I am also guilty of bringing two bodies, each with a different FL, just because its easier and safer to do that rather than change lenses while out and about. I think I was/am more of a changer when out with an SLR (as opposed to RFs).

So...I guess I'm fickle

Old 01-21-2018   #21
narsuitus

Quote:
Anyone else has a similar experience? Or you like to change lenses frequently?
I change lenses when needed. If I need to shoot macro or an eclipse or an opera, I select and mount the lens or lenses that I think will help me accomplish the task.

Old 01-21-2018   #22
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
I dislike changing lenses because of vulnerability, but if I need a certain FL for the shot, the lens must be changed and it will be changed. But, I tend to leave well enough alone if there's no motivation to change. I am also guilty of bringing two bodies, each with a different FL, just because its easier and safer to do that rather than change lenses while out and about. I think I was/am more of a changer when out with an SLR (as opposed to RFs).
Is changing a lens on an SLR somehow safer than changing a lens on an RF? I never thought about changing lenses as a hazardous undertaking. Cameras are tools.

Old 01-21-2018   #23
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Like Raid, the Elmarit 28 stays on my M9 for the same reason. I got tired of cleaning dust and noticed that I seem to like what I get from that lens more than the others.

Old 01-21-2018   #24
Jdsegra

For some reason (GAS), I rotate through lenses / bodies pretty regularly, but I've kept a 35 'cron v IV for the last several years.. I get tempted to upgrade to an ASPH or a Lux FLE, but it's just so small and light.

flickr

Old 01-21-2018   #25
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Robert, I can believe you left the 35 on your M10 for that long! The 35 is a great focal length, and when I want to do it all with one lens, that is the one to use. And when I shoot with my X100, I may not miss having other lens options. If I do feel the need, I can pull the X20 out of my pocket!

Old 01-21-2018   #26
jazzwave

Robert,
I have similar configuration, M10 with 35/2ASPH.
I added old Jupiter 3 (1952, Brian Sweeney's modified), in case for portrait shoot.

I'm happy with this set

~Ron~

Old 01-21-2018   #27
Richard G

For a long time I only had a 50. When I traded my M4-2 for a chrome M6 I soon added my first 35mm lens a chrome Summicron and left that on through most of our early years with children. I don’t find the X100 limiting. The compactness of the fully collapsible Elmar and the wonder of the SBOOI finder mean my Barnacks nearly always have a 50 screwed on. I go out with one lens only 90% of the time. You see more clearly and efficiently with the limited choice.

Old 01-21-2018   #28
michaelwj
----------------

I'm a "one-lenser".

For 5-6 years it was 35mm, now 28mm for the past few months. I just find it more relaxing, but also put it down to my lack of ability or lack of confidence - when I have more than one lens on me I get confused.
But, having used a 35mm for so long, I think I am more confident knowing when it could be useful. Once I feel like that with a 28mm, I might add a 35mm back again...

Old 01-21-2018   #29
mcfingon
Western Australia

Hello robert, I get too much enjoyment from trying a different lens on my A7S to see what it "looks" like. Instead of the Elmar-M 50/2.8 you saw, I am using a 1974 Pentax Takumar 50/1.4 at the moment.
John Mc

Old 01-21-2018   #30
szekiat

i can't remember the last time i removed my 28 1.9 ultra from my M8 to be fair. 35 FL is just such a sweet angle

Old 01-22-2018   #31
lynnb

Almost all my photos the past few years have been taken with the 35/2.5 Skopar LTM I bought from Andy. On rare occasions when I want something longer I use a 50, or if wider I use a 21. Not all that often. I have two bodies, a IIIc with bw film (usually APX100) and a IIIf with Ektar. I try to avoid changing lenses in the field. Better to keep things simple.
Flickr

Old 01-22-2018   #32
willie_901

Yes, I certainly believe you only needed the 35 for this long.

I quite enjoy being able to pre-visualize compositions when I only use one field-of-view. I prefer not to use cropping as a composition tool.

I just used the Zeiss Biogon 35/2 for long spells. Also, like Gregm61 I am happily using my FUJIFILM X100T for a daily carry even though I also own the 23/2 Fujinon for my X-Pro 2.

I often used 28mm (now 18mm) lenses for extended periods.

The lenses I typically didn't/don't keep on my camera(s) for very long were the 50 mm (now 35) lenses.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-22-2018   #33
daveleo
what?

For making pictures, the 35MM (equiv FL) / f2.0 is all that I really *need* to be happy.
But, as I enjoy fidgeting with and experiencing various older lenses, I have a bunch that I play with. Though it is very rare that I leave the house with more than one lens.
The HexarAF / FujiX100 format is the "perfect" design, IMO.

Old 01-22-2018   #34
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Interesting question, Robert, and interesting replies.

I have a few excellent Fuji X mount lenses but quickly realized that using the 12, 16, 56 or 18-55 meant that my absolute, clear favorite, the 35mm f1.4 would be at home or, at best, in the bag or car.

So I bought another X Pro2 for the 35 1.4 (50 equiv) to live on.

Fuji X Pro2
Fuji X E2
Fuji X100s
Panasonic GX1 w/ 20mm F1.7
Nikon D800E

introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 01-22-2018   #35
farlymac
PF McFarland

I don't have any digital rangefinders, but when I'm out with the film ones, I tend to use only one lens, usually the 35mm. However, with the switchable frame lines in the Bessa R2S, I am more apt to change to the 85mm.

With the SLR's, I'll start with a wide angle (I have more 28's than 35's), and likely never change. Even when I'm using a zoom I tend to keep towards the wide end of the lens, depending on the situation.

It has more to do with what I am photographing than any style preference.

PF

Old 01-22-2018   #36
brennanphotoguy

I used one lens, one camera, one film stock shot the same way with one developer for over a year and didn't ever really want for more. Before then I used my 50DR exclusively anyways so I've been using that lens for 90% of my stuff for 6-7 years. Recently just got my 35/2 8 element CLA'd and removed a bunch of haze so now I alternate between those two when I feel like it.

Old 01-22-2018   #37
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Is changing a lens on an SLR somehow safer than changing a lens on an RF? I never thought about changing lenses as a hazardous undertaking. Cameras are tools.
This is how you will get dust in SLR VF, by changing lens. Sooner or later, but it will be where. Dusty tools

Old 01-22-2018   #38
rfaspen

Quote:
No, not really different. In fact I used to use my SLRs in places where it is most certainly a dangerous task to change lenses, even to uncap the lens or spend time looking through the viewerfinder. I had my "sacrificial" bodies and lenses for these situations. But, the real reason I tend to change SLR more often....I can't say for sure.... It's probably because when I use them, I tend to drag more lenses along and shoot subjects that prompt me to change more frequently to get the image I want. But, I'll do that with RF too, so perhaps just a quirk of my personal psychoses

Old 01-22-2018   #39
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
I feel more free to change lenses outdoors with my D700 than with my M9, because the D700 has the "dust shaker" to vibrate the dust off the sensor each time the camera is turned on. The M9 has not got this, so I worry more about the dust that gets in when the lens is removed.

And the larger DSLR lenses are easier to hang onto and not drop. I've never dropped a Leica lens either, but the tiny 35/2 and 35/2.8 ones require special attention. A good rule is to give the lens your full attention when handling it, keeping your eyes on what you are doing, not trusting the sense of touch alone. And I avoid doing it with frozen fingers!

Old 01-24-2018   #40
Scottboarding

I'm the same way, but about 50mm. The only lens I own for my Canon P is a 50mm. For the longest time on my Nikon FM2n I only used a 50mm, with the 28mm coming out on occasion for something different. I recently got the Voigtlander 40mm, which I actually like the most, but it's not a common focal length. Last summer I went to Sweden and London, and 95+% of my photos were shot on a Canon 7D and 35mm (56mm equivalent). When I sold my 7D, I bought an Olympus E-M1, and owned only a 25mm (50mm equivalent) for the first 4 months of ownership. And I now own a second 25mm lens for that. I'm really temped to sell everything that isn't 50mm, but I know I'll come to regret that someday.