Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-14-2017   #81
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur
 
rbiemer's Avatar
 
rbiemer is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cortland, NY
Age: 59
Posts: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhl-oregon View Post
I’ve not participated in this inquiry (which looks more and more like a forensic inquest) so far, but here is something to consider about the intellectual and critical health of the forum:

among the people who agreed to play host for one or another of the “Coffee with Mentors” threads, who have been the steadiest contributors? I count two in my time here: Bill, and Roger. You can differentiate them by their approaches to the role and by presentational style, but unlike some “mentors” each has contributed thoughtfully and reliably. (I am not by the way inviting detractors-in-waiting to pounce on any other RFF “mentor” for whatever ad hominem reason by this comparison.) What does RFF gain when critical complaints of a very few about the style or substance of one of these quite reliable writers and thinkers effectually shut down the resource they offer?

Maybe the “Coffee with Mentors” approach sets up most of its appointees with an impossible task to fulfill month after month; maybe it will not be part of the new RFF; but when we have photography writers as experienced and critically incisive as Roger and Bill, why not let each play the mentor role as each sees fit?

RFF has few photography writers as interesting, stylish, personable, varied as Roger at his best. It’s a less interesting forum without his engaged presence, whatever the terms of engagement may be.
Nicely put!

Rob
__________________

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain
 

Old 12-14-2017   #82
Out to Lunch
Registered User
 
Out to Lunch's Avatar
 
Out to Lunch is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 5,312
The majority is in favor. Let us embrace Roger's whining about Brexit and how much it's going to cost him, and lest we forget, his insights on assisted suicide. We'll take his bullying of other contributors on the side -that's just Roger. And if you don't like what you read, just don't read it! The 100% happy formula.
 

Old 12-14-2017   #83
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur
 
rbiemer's Avatar
 
rbiemer is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cortland, NY
Age: 59
Posts: 4,971
Or, maybe, if you don't like what you read make a cogent argument about why. Sort of like, I dunno, having a discussion.

Rob
__________________

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain
 

Old 12-14-2017   #84
FujiLove
Registered User
 
FujiLove is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
The majority is in favor. Let us embrace Roger's whining about Brexit and how much it's going to cost him, and lest we forget, his insights on assisted suicide. We'll take his bullying of other contributors on the side -that's just Roger. And if you don't like what you read, just don't read it! The 100% happy formula.
I'm sure most people come to this forum to read and take part in discussions about photography, therefore a post about Brexit or whatever wouldn't interest them. Hence they wouldn't read it, so there's no problem. Alternatively, they are interested enough to read it and either like, dislike or have no opinion about the piece. Again, there's no problem.

I can't see how that is any different to picking up a newspaper or magazine and skipping over an article.

Even if you are in some way 'offended' by written words that you don't agree with, is that any reason to suggest the author is not welcome here?

Ridiculous.
 

Old 12-14-2017   #85
tbhv55
Registered User
 
tbhv55 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Devon, UK
Age: 63
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiemer View Post
Nicely put!

Rob
+1........
 

Old 12-14-2017   #86
Brian Atherton
Registered User
 
Brian Atherton's Avatar
 
Brian Atherton is offline
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Based in Blighty
Posts: 532
One of the principal reasons I have remained a member of the RFF are the posts by Roger.

His posts, by a large degree more than any others, have stimulated, enlightened, educated and challenged me… and they always engaged me in thought-provoking ways that others, for the most part, have not.

To not have him on the forum, for whatever reason, diminishes it immeasurably.
__________________
Brian

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com
 

Old 12-14-2017   #87
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
I can't see how that is any different to picking up a newspaper or magazine and skipping over an article.
How would you feel if you picked up a photography magazine and it was filled with articles on politics, food, knitting, model trains, health and beauty, etc.? You might question whether it was in fact a photography magazine. You might just skip over those articles, or you might decide to find a magazine that was devoted to photography.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
 

Old 12-14-2017   #88
Peter Jennings
Registered User
 
Peter Jennings's Avatar
 
Peter Jennings is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seoul
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
How would you feel if you picked up a photography magazine and it was filled with articles on politics, food, knitting, model trains, health and beauty, etc.? You might question whether it was in fact a photography magazine. You might just skip over those articles, or you might decide to find a magazine that was devoted to photography.
Such exaggerated hypotheticals don't really help your argument.
 

Old 12-14-2017   #89
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,596
Whatever this forum may be I have yet to discover another one that has the overall balance that RFF provides. Generally polite and informative with plenty of choices for all no matter what you gear preferences may be.

The biggest loss to this forum in my time here to date has been Al Kaplan when he passed away.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
 

Old 12-14-2017   #90
Gerry M
Gerry
 
Gerry M is online now
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Medford, Oregon, U. S.
Posts: 908
^^^"The biggest loss to this forum in my time here to date has been Al Kaplan when he passed away."

Agree!!
__________________
Flickr
 

Old 12-14-2017   #91
Canyongazer
Canyongazer
 
Canyongazer's Avatar
 
Canyongazer is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Whatever this forum may be I have yet to discover another one that has the overall balance that RFF provides. Generally polite and informative with plenty of choices for all no matter what you gear preferences may be.

BIG yes to that, Keith.

The biggest loss to this forum in my time here to date has been Al Kaplan when he passed away.
and Tom....:-(
__________________

Fuji X Pro2
Fuji X E2
Fuji X100s
Panasonic GX1 w/ 20mm F1.7
Nikon D800E


introspection.zenfolio.com
 

Old 12-14-2017   #92
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyongazer View Post
and Tom....:-(

Yes of course Tom .. that is still very raw for many people here.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
 

Old 12-14-2017   #93
Mackinaw
Think Different
 
Mackinaw is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: One hour south of the Mackinaw Bridge
Posts: 3,563
Very interesting discussion, but the question still remains, does anybody know where Roger is?

Jim B.
__________________
My fancy-schmancy gallery:
http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m
 

Old 12-14-2017   #94
eric rose
ummmmm, filmmmm
 
eric rose's Avatar
 
eric rose is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The biggest loss to this forum in my time here to date has been Al Kaplan when he passed away.
Let's bring Al back! I loved Al.
__________________
_____________________
Eric Rose

http://www.ericrose.com

http://yourbaddog.com
 

Old 12-14-2017   #95
CameraQuest
Head Bartender
 
CameraQuest is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: over the hills from Malibu
Posts: 5,697
folks,

Roger has always been a bit contrarian. I like that about him, to a point.

He took it upon himself not to participate at RFF when told his recent style of merely linking back to an article on his website was deemed no longer acceptable and not really participating at RFF.

While Roger's photography contributions can be outstanding,
he needs to stop merely lazily linking back to his own site without posting and participating with his articles at RFF.
Or, leave his articles out of the mix, and just post.

Stephen
 

Old 12-14-2017   #96
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve
 
Darthfeeble's Avatar
 
Darthfeeble is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Logtown, California, USA
Age: 73
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
How would you feel if you picked up a photography magazine and it was filled with articles on politics, food, knitting, model trains, health and beauty, etc.? You might question whether it was in fact a photography magazine. You might just skip over those articles, or you might decide to find a magazine that was devoted to photography.
The forum wasn't "filled" with political stuff. One guy pisses you off and the world is filled with piss, somehow that just won't fly.
 

Old 12-14-2017   #97
ChrisLivsey
Registered User
 
ChrisLivsey's Avatar
 
ChrisLivsey is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,066
Roger is going strong here:
Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...JPc4IdKljLL.99

Roger Hicks
Well-Known Member
Profile Page
Member Since: Nov 15, 2008 Messages: 10,632 Likes Received: 2,161
Roger Hicks was last seen: Yesterday at 10:38 PM

I particularly like the forum tag: Well-Known Member
__________________
Fishing for shadows in a pool.
Louis Macneice

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/
 

Old 12-15-2017   #98
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
Roger is going strong here:
Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...JPc4IdKljLL.99

Roger Hicks
Well-Known Member
Profile Page
Member Since: Nov 15, 2008 Messages: 10,632 Likes Received: 2,161
Roger Hicks was last seen: Yesterday at 10:38 PM

I particularly like the forum tag: Well-Known Member
I had a look to see if anything was different over there.

In his last 50 posts, only one was related to photography.

And it's nice to see that he has lost none of his charm:

"You’re entitled to your view but if you’re going to insult the views of others you shouldn’t be surprised if they dismiss your views as ranting."

Dear Andrew,
Unless, of course, they are REALLY STUPID views.
Cheers,
R.
Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...QVyoFEjLkzU.99
 

Old 12-15-2017   #99
Michael Markey
Registered User
 
Michael Markey's Avatar
 
Michael Markey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Blackpool ,England
Age: 68
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Whatever this forum may be I have yet to discover another one that has the overall balance that RFF provides. Generally polite and informative with plenty of choices for all no matter what you gear preferences may be.

The biggest loss to this forum in my time here to date has been Al Kaplan when he passed away.

Yes to all that .....
 

Old 12-15-2017   #100
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 43
Posts: 8,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
I particularly like the forum tag: Well-Known Member

Lot of online forums have a 'ranking system' for members. They're assigned ranks like "newbie," "Experienced," "Well known," "Forum God," etc.

Some base it on how many posts you have. The more you post, the higher you rank. Some base it on how many members have liked your posts; a function that RFF's forums don't have.
 

Old 12-15-2017   #101
John Lawrence
Registered User
 
John Lawrence is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Lot of online forums have a 'ranking system' for members. They're assigned ranks like "newbie," "Experienced," "Well known," "Forum God," etc.

Some base it on how many posts you have. The more you post, the higher you rank. Some base it on how many members have liked your posts; a function that RFF's forums don't have.
The word 'Member' has more than one definition, and I think one of those definitions was what he was alluding to - hence the wink at the end.

I could be wrong, but that was how I read it.

John
 

Old 12-15-2017   #102
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler
 
Tompas's Avatar
 
Tompas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ostfriesland - Northwestern Germany
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Roger (...) took it upon himself not to participate at RFF when told his recent style of merely linking back to an article on his website was deemed no longer acceptable and not really participating at RFF.

While Roger's photography contributions can be outstanding,
he needs to stop merely lazily linking back to his own site without posting and participating with his articles at RFF.
Or, leave his articles out of the mix, and just post.
I noticed this 'change in style' of Roger's postings and I can see why you don't agree with it.

Nevertheless I think it's a loss for the RFF; I often enjoyed Roger's talent to stir up a controversy.

I also do not share the opinion stated by several members that the RFF should be about photography and nothing but photography in a stricter sense. If a thread somehow verges into philosophy, politics, sociology or whatever, discussions sometimes get really interesting. And if they don't, I just stop reading - no harm done, IMO.
__________________
-- Thomas
 

Old 12-15-2017   #103
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 43
Posts: 8,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawrence View Post
The word 'Member' has more than one definition, and I think one of those definitions was what he was alluding to - hence the wink at the end.

I could be wrong, but that was how I read it.

John

ohh, *giggle*
 

Old 12-15-2017   #104
ktmrider
Registered User
 
ktmrider is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: el paso, texas
Age: 66
Posts: 1,170
If you like his writing or views, read his articles. Less bandwidth required with him gone.
 

Old 12-15-2017   #105
ChrisLivsey
Registered User
 
ChrisLivsey's Avatar
 
ChrisLivsey is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
ohh, *giggle*
Indeed, that forum ranking just seemed to be particularly apt, hence the wink.
__________________
Fishing for shadows in a pool.
Louis Macneice

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/
 

Old 12-15-2017   #106
newsgrunt
Registered User
 
newsgrunt's Avatar
 
newsgrunt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
folks,

Roger has always been a bit contrarian. I like that about him, to a point.

He took it upon himself not to participate at RFF when told his recent style of merely linking back to an article on his website was deemed no longer acceptable and not really participating at RFF.

While Roger's photography contributions can be outstanding,
he needs to stop merely lazily linking back to his own site without posting and participating with his articles at RFF.
Or, leave his articles out of the mix, and just post.

Stephen
totally agree with Stephen. Linking to his site is poor form imo and just trying to drive clicks to his site, without contributing to this forum.

I also don't mind occasional stray topics but it would be good if people posted OT or NF (non photography) in the subject header. Other forums do this so people can skip over without needing to open the post.

Members come and go and I believe that's healthy for the community otherwise RFF becomes an echo chamber and thus, stale.
 

Old 12-15-2017   #107
css9450
Registered User
 
css9450's Avatar
 
css9450 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrunt View Post
I also don't mind occasional stray topics but it would be good if people posted OT or NF (non photography) in the subject header. Other forums do this so people can skip over without needing to open the post.
Perhaps a "Totally Off-Topic" section could be a part of whatever shape the new RFF takes? Most other forums indeed already have such a section. Some have very strict rules there (no politics or religion, for example), and some have almost no rules at all. If nothing else, it makes for a good section to ignore when not in the mood for random off-topic chatter. I don't come here to read about UBI or Brexit either.
__________________
Nikon S2, S3, F, F2, F3, FM2, FA, N90S, D80, D7000, D750, Sony a6000, Canon IIf, Leica CL, Tower type 3, Zorki 4, Vito B, Perkeo II, Rollei 35....
 

Old 12-15-2017   #108
oftheherd
Registered User
 
oftheherd's Avatar
 
oftheherd is offline
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
folks,

Roger has always been a bit contrarian. I like that about him, to a point.

He took it upon himself not to participate at RFF when told his recent style of merely linking back to an article on his website was deemed no longer acceptable and not really participating at RFF.

While Roger's photography contributions can be outstanding,
he needs to stop merely lazily linking back to his own site without posting and participating with his articles at RFF.
Or, leave his articles out of the mix, and just post.

Stephen
Yes, he can be contrarian with other people. I don't mind that from him or any others. I have a pretty thick skin. Reasonably respectfully done, it is what makes for good conversation.

Unfortunately, I fear he does not share that thick skin and having others post views that are contrary to his views.

Nonetheless, I hope as before, he will one day return. I enjoy most of his posts.
__________________
My Gallery
 

Old 12-15-2017   #109
oftheherd
Registered User
 
oftheherd's Avatar
 
oftheherd is offline
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Perhaps a "Totally Off-Topic" section could be a part of whatever shape the new RFF takes? Most other forums indeed already have such a section. Some have very strict rules there (no politics or religion, for example), and some have almost no rules at all. If nothing else, it makes for a good section to ignore when not in the mood for random off-topic chatter. I don't come here to read about UBI or Brexit either.
While you are correct that some sites do that, I really like RFF as it is. Anything that I might think I miss here at RFF, if I really want it, I will go to one of the sites that does allow way, way, off-topic posts.

To me, RFF seems one of the most congenial sites, with still a lot of photographic information. In my time here, I have seen topics not related to photography, and as long as the forum rules are not dashed to pieces, they are left intact. What's not to like?
__________________
My Gallery
 

Old 12-15-2017   #110
newsgrunt
Registered User
 
newsgrunt's Avatar
 
newsgrunt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,158
and other forums I frequent (non photo) have decided NOT to have OT subfora. I like to stumble across an interesting OT post now and then but will not go searching for it elsewhere (sure one can set up their profile settings to show newest posts but that's another issue).

If Roger doesn't come back, life will go on and perhaps he's relishing people clamouring for his return and thus stroke his ego at the same time
 

Old 12-15-2017   #111
nukecoke
⚛Yashica
 
nukecoke's Avatar
 
nukecoke is offline
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sweden/China
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
While you are correct that some sites do that, I really like RFF as it is. Anything that I might think I miss here at RFF, if I really want it, I will go to one of the sites that does allow way, way, off-topic posts.

To me, RFF seems one of the most congenial sites, with still a lot of photographic information. In my time here, I have seen topics not related to photography, and as long as the forum rules are not dashed to pieces, they are left intact. What's not to like?
I like and joined RFF for the sake of rich technical information regarding RF cameras. There are members like sevo, wolves3012, 02Pilot, xayraa33 and mooge (and some others) who are very knowledgeable and/or handy in helping others with camera problems and/or give DIY inspirations. RFF has been a great help to me since 2010 when I barely spoke any English.

I'm not a good learner of photography. Usually I admire the mood and tone in a photo rather than the subjects/content/hidden message/captions.
__________________
tumblr

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras
 

Old 12-15-2017   #112
OurManInTangier
An Undesirable
 
OurManInTangier's Avatar
 
OurManInTangier is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 2,057
With regards to the 'Off Topic' nature of some of his, and others, posts I'd have to suggest its a very healthy thing for a photography forum. Photography needn't just be about the equipment we use but equally the very subjects, topics and events that our cameras enable us to communicate our reactions, thoughts and feelings about.

Perhaps some may wish for a firmer structure in which this can happen, fair enough, but I hope there is no real advocation for restricting topics of conversation. If people can't play nicely there are already methods to address that, if you don't like the topic you possess the power to move on. Accidently clicking onto a discussion that isn't what you thought or wanted isn't a real problem despite the fact our lives are far too short and way too busy.
Sometimes you discover something interesting.... this coming from a man who hasn't used a fountain pen since Primary school and yet now has a slightly higher inclination towards them. You may or may not know what I'm talking about depending on what threads you click on

As to Roger, I hope he reappears at some point. Perhaps a rest is as good as a change, to reverse the popular saying.
__________________
Cheers
Simon

| SLP: Work website

Last edited by OurManInTangier : 12-15-2017 at 08:14. Reason: Atrocious grammar and spelling
 

Old 12-15-2017   #113
creenus
Registered User
 
creenus is offline
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 154
Yes, life will go on, and I believe it is too short to stroke others' egos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrunt View Post
and other forums I frequent (non photo) have decided NOT to have OT subfora. I like to stumble across an interesting OT post now and then but will not go searching for it elsewhere (sure one can set up their profile settings to show newest posts but that's another issue).

If Roger doesn't come back, life will go and perhaps he'd relish people clamouring for his return and thus stroke his ego at the same time
 

Old 12-15-2017   #114
Ronald M
Registered User
 
Ronald M is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry M View Post
^^^"The biggest loss to this forum in my time here to date has been Al Kaplan when he passed away."

Agree!!
I miss Al. But he smoked too much.
 

Old 12-18-2017   #115
ph.
Registered User
 
ph. is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 83
A comment to a mail some pages back:

I have enjoyed RH`s writings on the last page of AP as well as here, precisely because here he writes about the world that we all are interested in,and at times photograph, and not just limits himself to write about technology or aesthetics.

I wish him well.

p.
 

Old 01-18-2018   #116
kshapero
Press the Shutter
 
kshapero's Avatar
 
kshapero is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida, USA
Age: 69
Posts: 9,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

The biggest loss to this forum in my time here to date has been Al Kaplan when he passed away.
That hits hard. A special guy.
__________________
Akiva S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos
 

Old 01-18-2018   #117
nobbylon
Registered User
 
nobbylon's Avatar
 
nobbylon is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nederlands
Posts: 2,683
Must admit I used to just ignore him as someone who liked to put other people down but couldn’t take it himself. Thought of as some photo forum wise man by some including himself and sadly he has shown his egocentricity to be his remembered quality by many.
I wish him well wherever he chooses to pontificate.
 

Old 01-19-2018   #118
robert blu
quiet photographer
 
robert blu's Avatar
 
robert blu is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Age: 70
Posts: 5,835
Roger's knowledge was a great asset for RFF. Sometimes he could be a little tough in the web but having met him more times in Arles I can say he's a nice person, of course with his own opinions, and very ready to help others.
I hope one day he will come back here.
robert
__________________
Remember: today is the Day !
from Ruth Bernhard recipe for a long and happy life

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF
 

Old 01-19-2018   #119
Charlie Lemay
Registered User
 
Charlie Lemay is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 322
Roger’s words were one of the best things on this site. There were countless gems in his in-depth site articles. His leaving creates a gap that has not been filled.
 

Old 01-19-2018   #120
nobbylon
Registered User
 
nobbylon's Avatar
 
nobbylon is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nederlands
Posts: 2,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecnarongi View Post
I find it really disconcerting how many RFF people have the gall to scorn and outright slur Mr Roger Hicks, of all things in a thread where the question just was, where he is.
Someone asked where he was and the replies came in and it soon transpired he’d been told to wind his neck in, he couldn’t take that friendly advice and left. He may be a nice person when you meet him but the way he spoke to some here was at times incredibly condescending and behaviour that would not be tolerated by anyone in a social situation and more importantly given out by R.Hicks himself. The internet is a great place for some to be brave and rude but sooner or later you get called on it. He was called out and chose to start on another bunch it seems. He was allowed a longer rope than most I’ve seen upset people in the past.
If you had been here a little longer then you’d understand what I and others are talking about.
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:52.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.