Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 02-27-2017   #81
Peter Wijninga

You may have a point there.... my first camera, ever was a Lubitel and I like using it....but it's many moons ago...

Old 02-27-2017   #82
JeffS7444

As much as I enjoy Digital Harinezumi, Lomo LC-A, LC-A 120 and Holga, I actually accomplish more with Ricoh GR, Panasonic DMC-GM5 w/kit lens and Sony A7.

Still undecided about Lomo LC-Wide.

Really like the Lomo's clicky focus control - no need to look, just count the number of clicks.

Disappointed so far: Olympus 15mm body cap / toy lens: Brilliant idea, but ugly in bright / harsh lighting conditions. But totally worth the premium versus a standard body cap, which offers no entertainment value at all.

Old 02-27-2017   #83
k__43
Registered Film User

most fun in the moment: M9 + flash for this "in your face" party pics, i also used a konica A4 (big mini) which sadly died recently
least fun: Praktica BC1

Old 02-27-2017   #84
dfdann

Most fun in no order
M7,M8,Nikon FE2,Nikon F100
Least Fun I Phone
Most reliable All have been reliable
Most fun right now is a Nikon FE2 I have just purchased. First good camera I owned was a Nikon FE.

Old 02-27-2017   #85
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Most Fun: Leica M and Barnack in general

Don't think too much, carry one or two all time, and shoot anything.

Also Mamiya 7 was really really fun. Shoot like M, even quieter shutter and large prints with it was oh so delicious. I wish I still had it.

Least Fun: Hasselblad 500 series

Love the picture quality, but just heavy to carry, slow to shoot, and shutter release is very noisy. I tried a few times in the last 10 - 15 years or so, but the platform never really spoke to me.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 02-27-2017   #86
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

Most fun cameras (in no particular order):
  • Mamiya C220f (TLRs are big fun)
  • Pentax 67 (made my best ever image with it, and it's big!)
  • Pentax LX (sooo nice, sooo smooth)
  • Leica MD-2 with Snapshot Skopar 4/25 (focussing? Nah...)
  • Leica M6 (feels great in any way)

Least fun:
  • FED-2 (worst viewfinder I know, bad handling; ok, it's old...)
  • smartphone cameras (awkward handling, no viewfinder, poor IQ unless used in very good light)

I find it interesting that I put none of my DSLRs (K3, D7000) in either group...

Old 02-28-2017   #87
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Well, I don't know about fun but the most enjoyable are those like the Pentax K1000 and Leica Digilux 2 where you just think for a second before you take the photo and everything is to hand and where you'd expect it.

There's one or two automatic ones I'd include in this like the Olympus 35 SP, some APS ones and the ZLR's Olympus created that went on to inspire bridge cameras. And those clever little P&S's we try not to mention but carry everyday.

The least fun are those with screens only at the back that you wave about in front of you and squint to see the framing, and others where the system is controlled by a weird menu system that likes springing surprises.

But most of them are in the middle; some are fun in that people come up and start chatting but that's not fun in the photographic mode...

Regards, David

Old 02-28-2017   #88
faris

Nikon D700.

Old 02-28-2017   #89
Brian Atherton

Fun and frustrating in equal measure, the Leica O-Serie replica.

Only used a borrowed one for a couple of rolls, which were half okay, half duds.

Most fun ever, any field camera with movements.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-28-2017   #90
Richard G

Fun? A Leica M? I don't get that. I see my M2 as a wonderful machine, but when I look at the face of it, with those windows, I see a fierce intelligence, an indomitable will, a ruthless persistence and the subtle hand of an assassin. I don't see fun at all. But then my M2 doesn't have a self-timer. The brutalist M5 is only fun as the other M owners make fun of it. I don't see my M5 as fun, except for the effect it has on the unenlightened members of RFF.

Any Polaroid has to top the list of fun cameras. Any SLR is a bit more fun, looking through the viewfinder. A TLR is fun for the same reason, particularly seeing around corners. The attachments like the Rolleinars add to the fun.

My X100 is fun, mimicking an old rangefinder in form but blitzing ahead of some clunky DSLRs at the same time. Maybe any digital camera is fun, for the same reason as the Polaroid. Lomos must be fun.

View cameras are fun, especially if there is cloth to hood the photographer.

The Hexar AF is fun. The obscure combination of button presses to confound the DX reader, to fix focus at infinity, to offer manual focus, and to turn on stealth mode.

I think we need a lesson in fun here.

Old 02-28-2017   #91
Dralowid
Michael

I'm starting to think that expensive cameras are not much fun, maybe it is an age thing.

Old 02-28-2017   #92
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
The most fun cameras I've used are instant film cameras, of whatever type. I think if I had an SX-70 it would be that, for its close focus capability compared to my Polaroid 600 One Step (and for its better lens). The Polaroid 250 I borrowed was pretty cool too. Really liked FP-3000B. Dammit Fuji! But the Impossible new bw 600 film is not too bad.
The other cameras I think are the most fun are:
- Barnacks, because they feel great in the hand, the lenses are great and they get friendly interest whenever people notice them (which is not often, and that is part of the fun).
- MF folders. So much bang for the buck - I love the Perkeo II for its petite size and the Bessa II for its superb large negs.
- OM1/OM4 for their size, egonomics and wonderful viewfinders. And lenses.
- XA. Shirt pocket, aperture priority, so easy.
- 6D with EF 40mm f2.8 STM pancake. Amazingly compact and capable full frame package, great in low light.

Least fun
- Yashica Electro 35 GSN. Large, hard to focus, but a great lens. Never bonded.
- Topcon RE Super. Large solid brick, well built but not pretty.
- any electronics-laden film camera
- any APS-C DSLR with small viewfinder
Flickr

Old 03-09-2017   #93
jdt

Another vote for the M6. It makes me smile just to look at it and even more so to use it. I've been using it for so long that it is intuitive.
And I actually like using film. Everything from the smell of a fresh opened roll to the excitement of seeing your developed film.
I also like working at a slower, more mindful pace.

I should also add my son's Yashicamat 124. TLRs are so much fun to use, if I could just get the "left is right, right is left" thing down.

I just got a Mamiya Six Auto-Mat that I think I'm really going to like, but I haven't put film through it yet so it can't officially make this list.

Least fun - anything with an electronic viewfinder, like the ones you try out when you are in Best Buy or similar stores. It's like eating spagetti-o's cold, from the can. It'll get the job done, but there is very little pleasure in doing it.
Mamiya Six Auto Mat
Some Nikon digital SLR
Ansco Titan
Leica III, Leica IIIa with 35mm Elmar, 50mm Elmar, 50 Summar, 85mm Summarex

Old 03-09-2017   #94
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
The most fun is the SX-70.

B2 (;->
I agree.

When I received a National Endowment in the Arts in the '70s I was not rolling in dough -- but.

The first thing I spent my grant on -- was rush over to Berkey Photo and buy an SX-70 and a pile of color polaroid.

No other camera has ever made such a satisfying sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOT7SwSgq2U

As a sad note:
The NEA expired this month. We are now the only country (I know of) in the developed world without a federal arts presence.

Old 03-09-2017   #95
giganova

$2.5 each time I press the shutter? Doesn't sound like much fun to me. No thank you, SX-70.

I'm having a lot of fun lately with Fuji Instax (50 Cents/shot) and cheap point & shoot film cameras. No composition, you just vaguely point them in the direction of the action and take a few shots. Very liberating!

Least fun: any digital camera!

Old 03-09-2017   #96
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

My Favorite Cameras (FUN and STYLE):

1) Deardorff 5x7 and old Brass Petzval lenses- It's beat up, and beautiful

2) Leica M4 Black Paint w/35mm Summicron Ver.II- Again, it's beat up, and beautiful

3)Leica MP Black Paint w/21mm Super-Elmar ASPH - just plain good and works flawlessly

4)Rolleiflex 2.8 F - Simple and clean and so compact compared to a Hasselblad (in my opinion).

Old 03-09-2017   #97
Emile de Leon

7x17 ULF..is a lot of fun..composing that is..
Carrying..well..

Old 03-09-2017   #98
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Fun:
Bessa-R, the viewfinder is the best bang for the buck in the interchangeable lens RF kingdom.

Yashica Electro 35, I just love this series. Currently shooting a 35 MC.

Canon V,VI series, the best peep-hole type viewfinder in the interchangeable lens RF kingdom, with fun 3 select-able view modes.

Zorki-1 and Kiev-4a, affordable, reliable, and durable models.

Not so fun:
Any TLR

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 03-09-2017   #99
sepiareverb
genius and moron

It's all the same camera. Canham 810. Heavenly fun when the stars align, bitter hell when they don't.

Old 03-09-2017   #100
teddy
Jose Morales

1. Leica M3 and M2 - simplicity and quality and lens are the best and tiny.
2. Olympus OM1n - ergonomicaly as good as Leica, fits in my hand comfortably, small lenses.
3. Rolleiflex 75/3.5 - small, ultra high quality, simple.
4. Leica SL - The viewfinder, Olympus is as good too in this regard. Solidity.

Least fun... Mmm... Any digital -- it's just not REAL.

Old 03-09-2017   #101
nightfly

Most Fun:
Leica M4-P, M9 or anything that stays out of your way and lets you do what you want.
Holga (no options just shoot)
Ricoh GR (film) aperture priority, SNAP mode, a little negative exposure compensation and a roll of Tri-X
Rolleicord V cool, light, not too futzy for a TLR good shots

Least Fun:
Fuji XE-2 (fought it the whole time)
Yashica T4 (loved it but pushing the button 4 times to make sure the flash is off each and every time was infuriating)
Contax T (barn door is stupid)
Rollei 35 (too many dials in too small a camera)
Any digital that thinks it knows what you want including my iPhone

Old 03-09-2017   #102
PunkFunkDunk

Original Canon F-1 (1971). It's like taking a Panzer tank out for a spin with this baby on your shoulder. Bad ass mechanics.

Old 03-09-2017   #103
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Most fun would be any working FSU camera. It's great to have someone rush up to get a look at your "Leica".

Least fun is a non-working FSU camera.

PF
Never saw one that worked. For long, anyway.

Old 03-11-2017   #104
skucera

I chimed in last August, and since then I've bought several cameras. Only one of them has been fun enough to shoot more than one roll of film through, an Olympus IS-1. It's a super zoom SLR with every trick in the book, and it takes really beautiful photos. Of course, the cameras I turn to most are still my Leica M3 and my iPhone, but this huge IS-1 calls its siren song to me sometimes.

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Old 03-11-2017   #105
gnuyork

Mine is the M6. I shoot a lot of digital, and when I take out the M6 it's a pleasure to look through the viewfinder and the sound and click of the shutter is also very nice.

That being said, I recently got a Rolleiflex, and I think that might be up there with fun factor. I haven't processed my first few film rolls from it yet though... so the verdict is out.

I also enjoy my Wista 4x5, but only when I get the motivation to carry everything i need for it in the field, which is not often. But when I do get it out and take photos with it, I wonder to myself why I don't do it more.

Of my digital cams, the Leica X1 is by far my favorite for walking around.

Least fun? I don't know, probably any DSLR - just not as inspiring, though I can't argue with the results I get from them. Also the Sigma DP2M is a serious pain in the butt, but oh so worth the trouble with the files I get from it. Probably my best digital camera ever as far as files.

Old 03-11-2017   #106
dtcls100

Most fun: Olympus 35SP, OM series cameras, Nikon F6, Mamiya 6 (smooth, refined feel, quiet).

Medium fun: Nikon FM3a, Nikon FE2 (don't like clacky shutters)

Least fun: Canon A-1, AE-1 (recurring shutter squeal, poor shutter release, distracting red LED display in A-1 viewfinder), most digital.

Old 03-11-2017   #107
KenR

Most fun - just about anything with film from 35mm to large format.

Least fun - Mamiya C330 - heavy and a bit fiddly but great results
- Bronica RF645 - bought new to replace the C330 - kept breaking on me
- old folders - I can never remember to cock the shutter, although I am fine with large format lenses.

Old 03-11-2017   #108
Richard G

Wow. That SX-70 ad is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
I agree.

When I received a National Endowment in the Arts in the '70s I was not rolling in dough -- but.

The first thing I spent my grant on -- was rush over to Berkey Photo and buy an SX-70 and a pile of color polaroid.

No other camera has ever made such a satisfying sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOT7SwSgq2U

As a sad note:
The NEA expired this month. We are now the only country (I know of) in the developed world without a federal arts presence.

Old 03-11-2017   #109
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Leica Rangefinders.
Fuji X100 (very Leica-like, in my mind).
Nikon FE2, FM3a
Hasselblad XPAN
Hasselblad SWC
Hasselblad 500C/M with certain lenses.
Today I am missing my Rolleiflex. It must have been fun!

Old 03-11-2017   #110
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I have one camera that has a fun factor that I regard as immeasurable and that is my Crown Graphic, hand held.

Everything else just takes photos!

Old 03-11-2017   #111
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

My most fun film camera is my Bessaflex TM. There is no shooting from the hip with this camera, I have to be completly involved with the process or else the results suck.

My most fun digital camera is my Sigma SD1 Merrill. Mainly because it has no frills. Also, I just like the way it feels in my hand and the way it sounds when the shutter is released. And, I love the results I get from this camera too.

My least fun film camera is the Contax G2. I truly like the G2; it looks cool and feels good in my hand, but it's just to easy to use. Point, shoot, move on... go through a role of film in no time.

Least fun digital was a Panasonic LX7. The body was to small for my hands and the results (images) were too soft.

Old 03-11-2017   #112
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
My most fun film camera is my Bessaflex TM. There is no shooting from the hip with this camera, I have to be completly involved with the process or else the results suck.

My most fun digital camera is my Sigma SD1 Merrill. Mainly because it has no frills. Also, I just like the way it feels in my hand and the way it sounds when the shutter is released. And, I love the results I get from this camera too.

My least fun film camera is the Contax G2. I truly like the G2; it looks cool and feels good in my hand, but it's just to easy to use. Point, shoot, move on... go through a role of film in no time.

Least fun digital was a Panasonic LX7. The body was to small for my hands and the results (images) were too soft.

Interesting to read your comments about your SD1M ... aside from the quirkiness of the camera's software I rate it as the best DSLR I have ever held in my hands. And yes ... the shutter sound is totally unique in my opinion. And of course results from that amazing sensor speak for themselves.

Old 03-11-2017   #113
mdarnton

My most fun camera is my 5x7 Ansco view, but it's not versatile; if I had to give everything else away and keep just one, it would be the most versatile, my Nikon FG and 50mm lens; the camera I use the most is a Leica M4 and 50mm lens, because I'm the most comfortable with it.
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 03-11-2017   #114
creenus

Right now it's a Leica M2 with a Type 3 50mm Summicron. So basic, so pleasurable. The viewfinder is nice and bright, and the frame lines seems - I dunno - somewhat primitive, like a toy but in a good way.

I enjoy guesstimating the exposure and checking it against a Gossen DigiSix - I'm pretty close most times, and that's fun to me. It's all about light, film, depth of field and so on. I shoot black and white film, and I carry it inside my briefcase to work.

Brings me back to my first Leica, a iiic with a collapsing 50 'Cron, and learning how to shoot back in the 1970s. I cannot help but think that it's the very limitations of rangefinders that allows one to focus on form, composition and the play of light and shadow.

Years ago I bought a Chinese Seagull TLR, and it fell to pieces rather quickly - that was not fun!

Old 03-11-2017   #115
FrozenInTime

Least fun -
Hasselblad Flex-Body
Tried and sold on - I'm sure every body made has had at least five owners.
The loss of the auxiliary shutter necessitates a complex viewing, arming , taking and winding sequence and multiple uses of the dark slide per shot.

Most fun -
A compact modern digital like the GX80 m43 - fun to use but easily overwhelming in quantity and not as considered or as rewarding in the end as film or digital rangefinder.

Happiest with results from -
Hasselblad 500 series with film
Leica M film and digital.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 03-12-2017   #116
someonenameddavid

The fun/no fun dichotomy for me is illustrated by much Rolleicord Va and Vb. Very similar cameras, except my Va is a beater and my Vb is pristine : I love the results but I'm too afraid to scratch the Vb

Old 03-12-2017   #117
SteveM

This thread is fun to read!

Most fun:
Nikon F2 - heavier and chunkier than my FM3a, but somehow way more fun
Rollei 35SE - fun for exactly the reaon others don't like it - so small and all those fiddly dials, but stunning lens
Rolleiflex K4B - mechanically delightful, swiss watch camera
Bronica RF645 - medium format in a compact and wonderfully ergonomic package. My favourite MF camera by far.
Olympus E-1 - great in the hand, reliable, fabulous images but not up to today's resolution
Leica M4-P - solid performer, but not quite as much fun as the ones above

Least fun:
Canon A1 - pepper grinder film advance, electronic point and shoot, least reliable camera I've had
Old folders - not bad, but just less fun because it's easy to forget something (did I wind on?)
Olympus OM-2n - sacrilege to say this here, but just didn't bond. Shows how personal these things are

Steve

MF : Bronica RF645, Ercona II, Franka Solida IIIe

Old 03-12-2017   #118
ACullen

Most fun, in no particular order

Contax 139 - beautifully made camera ( until it fell apart)
Leica M2 - I'm astounded how good this is to use
Rolleiflex 3.5F- brighter finder and easier focusing than my Yashica Mat 124
Agfa Isolette II so light and simple, astonishing Solinar lens.

Worst and least fun cameras

Nikon F70- a design disaster, still can't believe I stopped using my 139 to use this AF piece of junk
Nikon D70- seemed cool at the time but in retrospect another piece of junk
Zenith EM- this I thought ,was a heavy piece of junk when I was just 13 and starting. Now I realise that it was in fact very cool even if the view finder took dim to a whole new level.

Old 03-12-2017   #119
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Most fun are definitely my various lightweight truly pocketable 35's.

Among my larger cameras I would rank my Pentax KX and KM, and CV Bessa R cameras next.
I'm trying once again to have some fun with a Fuji X100 as well; it's my second attempt...

Chris

Old 03-12-2017   #120
goamules

Most fun of all the myriad of 35mm cameras I've shot: Voigtlander Vitessa
Least fun, jury is still out.