Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Input needed. Picking images for a fundraiser.
Old 11-20-2016   #1
Talus
pan sin sal

Input needed. Picking images for a fundraiser.

I'm not sure if this is the right area. Apologies if it's not.

Quick summary: I've been doing relief work in Honduras since 2010. I'm going to be launching a Kickstarter next month with some friends to raise money for a school. One of the reward levels for donations will be art, and I thought about making some nice gelatin silver prints with a nice printing house I met in NYC recently. I have thousands of images from my trips over the years and wanted to offer a few to raise money.

These are some of my favorites. All began as color. Any feedback on what the "best" 4 images or so might be, and even any type of critique/feedback on editing would be gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

Wendy by Greg Pappas, on Flickr

Vista by Greg Pappas, on Flickr

Caballero by Greg Pappas, on Flickr

Corn Harvest by Greg Pappas, on Flickr

Teupasenti. Honduras by Greg Pappas, on Flickr

San Buenaventura by Greg Pappas, on Flickr

School by Greg Pappas, on Flickr

Couple by Greg Pappas, on Flickr

Coffee by Greg Pappas, on Flickr

Old 11-20-2016   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Couple and Trees. One is also good.

Old 11-20-2016   #3
Joao
Negativistic forever

Hello.
Congratulations and my best wishes for the project. My favourites are Wendy, Coffee, Couple and Corn Harvest. All the photos are great but I think those four are the most suitable for your project. Just my opinion...
Good luck !
Joao

Old 11-20-2016   #4
Talus
pan sin sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Couple and Trees. One is also good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
Hello.
Congratulations and my best wishes for the project. My favourites are Wendy, Coffee, Couple and Corn Harvest. All the photos are great but I think those four are the most suitable for your project. Just my opinion...
Good luck !
Joao
Thanks for the replies. I've been on the fence about the Corn Harvest.

Old 11-20-2016   #5
pepeguitarra

Wendy, Couple and Coffee.

Old 11-22-2016   #6
Talus
pan sin sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
Wendy, Couple and Coffee.
Thanks. Those seem to at the top of the list, Wendy especially, amongst some friends that I've asked.

Old 11-22-2016   #7
ellisson

1. Wendy, 2. Couple, 3. San Buenaventura, 4. Coffee are my favs.
Nice conversions to B&W.

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 11-22-2016   #8
michaelwj
----------------

My 2c
I prefer the ones with people or at least body parts in them.
The landscapes (Vista, Teupasenti. Honduras, and San Buenaventura) while good photos, don't speak to me that much (San Buenaventura does the most through). Similarly, the still life's (Corn Harvest, School) could be anywhere. They're great photos, but don't link me to the place.
Of the remainders, my favourites are Wendy, Couple, and Coffee. They speak to me about a people and place, which I believe is what you're after. Caballero is also a great photo, I just connect with the others more.

Best of luck with the fundraising.

Old 11-22-2016   #9
Orbiter

Very nice work. I like all of them, but I think for a fund raiser I'd suggest the ones with people (or parts thereof). A few years ago I attended a fund raiser for a project in Africa and ended up buying a photo of some of the boys who had been involved in the project. I think the human connection helped push me over the edge to purchase it. I wish you lots of success with your effort.

Is "unsalted bread" a reference to Dante?

Old 11-23-2016   #10
Talus
pan sin sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
My 2c
I prefer the ones with people or at least body parts in them.
The landscapes (Vista, Teupasenti. Honduras, and San Buenaventura) while good photos, don't speak to me that much (San Buenaventura does the most through). Similarly, the still life's (Corn Harvest, School) could be anywhere. They're great photos, but don't link me to the place.
Of the remainders, my favourites are Wendy, Couple, and Coffee. They speak to me about a people and place, which I believe is what you're after. Caballero is also a great photo, I just connect with the others more.

Best of luck with the fundraising.

Wow, thank you for the thoughtful response and I understand what you're saying. In selecting these photos, I initially had chosen most of the images with a human element, as you had mentioned, but as I began to look through, I came across a few landscapes that I liked. Maybe the landscape resonated more because I remember taking them, so the personal connection weighed in during the process. As a counterpoint, I've been polling family and friends and a few of the landscapes have been pretty popular. People seem to like random landscapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbiter View Post
Very nice work. I like all of them, but I think for a fund raiser I'd suggest the ones with people (or parts thereof). A few years ago I attended a fund raiser for a project in Africa and ended up buying a photo of some of the boys who had been involved in the project. I think the human connection helped push me over the edge to purchase it. I wish you lots of success with your effort.

Is "unsalted bread" a reference to Dante?
Thanks for the response. Great feedback about connecting the audience.

Pan sin sal is a colloquial term used in Latin America for boring people. My girlfriend calls me that because she thinks I'm plain vanilla.

Old 11-23-2016   #11
michaelwj
----------------

I think the landscapes work well on a series or a collection but don't stand alone as well. Maybe you could include one or two in the selection to balance the choices? So that the person donating sees the whole cohesive collection including some landscapes and gets a real feel for the place before choosing the image they want a print of. Just a thought.

Old 11-24-2016   #12
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

I vote
"Wendy" and
"Couple"
for much the same reasons as others have mentioned above.
Best of luck.

Old 11-24-2016   #13
Out to Lunch

My favorites: Wendy, Couple and Coffee.