Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

OS X Sierra
Old 09-25-2016   #1
Kenj8246

OS X Sierra

Anyone upgraded to Sierra yet? If so, any problems? I'm having some problems with PhotoshopCC and printing.

Kenny

Old 09-25-2016   #2
View Range

Kenny, could you be more specific? I just upgraded both Sierra and PSCC and I haven't found any problem yet. But I haven't used it much either.

Old 09-25-2016   #3
Ronald M

Nikon has a whole list of stuff to fix and an even longer one they are not going to update.

Old 09-25-2016   #4
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Did it a few days ago and so far not a hitch one.

Old 09-25-2016   #5
Mackinaw
Think Different

I'm not an early adopter. I'll wait until 10.12.5 comes out before upgrading.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 09-25-2016   #6
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I just recently went up to 10.10, so no time soon for me.

Old 09-25-2016   #7
SausalitoDog

I upgraded late day one...figured with all the public beta testing they do now, there would be immediate uproar if there was a big problem.

Everything Adobe seems to work fine (maybe a little faster?).

Apple mail had an issue for me...I have 2 plugins that were rejected - letter opener (so you can open windows attachments had an update free on day 2 and NoAnimations isn't updated yet, so I have to see the goofy flyaway emails :-)

Safari now turns off Flash by default...depends on how you feel about that. I've gone to prefs>security and turned it on with an AskEachTime setting, so I can block or allow as I see fit for each site...sort of like the click to Flash extensions.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with the new OS. Wish I could say the same of iOS 10...

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 09-25-2016   #8
View Range

Ronald, can you be more specific on the Nikon problems? My D5 works great on PS CC. I know not all the Nikkor lenses are on the lens correction list. But all the lenses I use are there. And I do not tether.

Old 09-25-2016   #9
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

No upgrade for me, They've made this one incompatible with my computer. I've got an Early 2008 Mac Pro, dual 2.8ghz four-core processors with 20gb of RAM. Its 'ancient' I guess by computer standards but it is still a very fast and reliable system. I'm running El Capitan on it now.

Old 09-25-2016   #10
mjc

Also, might be worth checking what other software you have and if you need to update that too. For example, if you have parallels to set up other boxes on your mac, then updating to sierra might (does?) require getting the latest version of parallels too. Worth checking for other software too...

Old 09-25-2016   #11
:: Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
No upgrade for me, They've made this one incompatible with my computer.
You are not really missing anything - the only significant new "feature" is Siri integration. Siri is useful on a phone as a work around for the limited screen and input devices. On a desktop computer it adds little and is not very reliable unless you are close to the mic in your computer (and MacPros and my Mini do not even have a mic...).

More positively, I am running 10.12 on a development system, and have not seen any issues with LR6, PS (CS6) nor Capture One. Printing was working fine from CO.

However, I may miss the days when Apple cared about its professional customers. It treats the Mac now as if it were just an oversized phone for twitter and facebook, rather as a professional tool.

Old 09-26-2016   #12
k__43
Registered Film User

The last upgrade I did was wrecking Aperture3 for me, can't get any worse.
I initially thought everything is working fine and found the bug way too late to go back to the old system now.
I guess it's time for me to switch to lightroom - I might do that on sierra too.

Old 09-26-2016   #13
Ronald M

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Range View Post
Ronald, can you be more specific on the Nikon problems? My D5 works great on PS CC. I know not all the Nikkor lenses are on the lens correction list. But all the lenses I use are there. And I do not tether.
I was on Nikon Europe surfing for something else. Some of the older programs like NX2 ?, Nikon view, view, Nikon Transfer and I some other tether and control programs. The list was maybe 15 items.

NXD is still good.

CS6 will not be supported past El Capitan I was told by a graphic designer.

The lesson I have learned is do not update or things break and can not be fixed, printers, scanner , sometimes even back up drives. My wonderful MK5400 scanner is toast. Two choices are VUE SCAN which is junk and Silverfast which cost $500 and can not be used on another scanner. Blow a bulb and $500 down the drain.

I am keeping my Mac Pro off line and will use something else for surfing and E mail.

Old 09-26-2016   #14
Ronald M

Quote:
Originally Posted by :: Mark View Post
You are not really missing anything - the only significant new "feature" is Siri integration. Siri is useful on a phone as a work around for the limited screen and input devices. On a desktop computer it adds little and is not very reliable unless you are close to the mic in your computer (and MacPros and my Mini do not even have a mic...).

More positively, I am running 10.12 on a development system, and have not seen any issues with LR6, PS (CS6) nor Capture One. Printing was working fine from CO.

However, I may miss the days when Apple cared about its professional customers. It treats the Mac now as if it were just an oversized phone for twitter and facebook, rather as a professional tool.
Ah Men brother.

Mine will not be updated. I will use something else for e mail and web.

Old 09-26-2016   #15
willie_901

The I updated two Macs and four iOS devices in the past few weeks. These all became slightly more stable when they talk to each other. I found LR CC (which also updated) to be a bit quicker. I have not use PS CC yet.

I had to update a new version of the Transmit App (FTP file transfer front-end).
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 09-26-2016   #16
:: Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
It is still working fine for me on Sierra, although at some point I am sure it will fail.

Old 09-26-2016   #17
View Range

Ronald, yes I agree the Nikon software is spotty. I don't know why Nikon is in the software business at all.

I worked more with PS CC running on macOS Sierra today, using files from my D5. I couldn't find any issues.

If you work across platforms, Sierra has better file sharing features. Other than that I don't see anything interesting in Sierra for me. I don't have an iPhone, so Apple Pay won't work for me.

To me the biggest risk of upgrading is drivers. My CanoScan 8800F scanner / MP Navigator acts odd some times.

My KM5400 was the worst piece of photographic junk I ever bought. The feed often didn't work right.

Old 09-26-2016   #18
Kenj8246

Ok, a little more information. I WANTED to just upgrade to El Capitan but, long story short, Apple didn't make it apparent how to do that.

Upgraded to Sierra and, so far, the only thing I'm having go wrong consistently is PhotoshopCC craters when I try to print. The print dialog opens and I can do what I want in there but, as soon as I say 'print', it just closes. Boom. Then get a dialog wanting to know it if I wanna send a report to Apple. Did that the first couple times then just blew it off.

Old 09-26-2016   #19
Richard Griffith

Are there any Apple Aperture users who have been brave enough to upgraded to Sierra? If so, how is Aperture working?

Old 09-26-2016   #20
bjolester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Griffith View Post
Are there any Apple Aperture users who have been brave enough to upgraded to Sierra? If so, how is Aperture working?
It does not look very promising: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Old 09-27-2016   #21
k__43
Registered Film User

Quote:
I ran into a terrible bug in Mavericks already, so I'm guessing it's not going to be better in Sierra.

Has anyone SilverEfex? How is it working? I depend on it for my digital stuff. It had some glitches when running on Mavericks (although I don't know if that was the OSs fault)

Old 09-27-2016   #22
willie_901

I just ran SilverEfex Pro 2 (most recent build) as LR CC (most recent build) plug-in (external editor) using Sierra on a 2013 MacBook Air.

There were no issues whatsoever. In fact the renderings and editing seemed to respond a bit quicker than I remembered from before.

I also opened an image file using SilverEfex Pro 2 as a stand-alone app. It worked in stand-alone mode as well.

If you are using Mavericks, it is possible there may be other programs that must be updated to achieve Sierra compatibility. Upgrading any OS by this many versions can be inconvenient. At best you may have to adapt to basic operational OS changes and differences. For instance, you have a free iCould account and Apple really wants you to use it. Of course you don't have to... but the more recent OS X versions are designed to take advantage of iCloud access. Disabling iCloud everywhere in the OS can be annoying... but you can do it.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 09-30-2016   #23
View Range

I see in Nikon Rumors that Nikon is about to get ready to start to do some testing, eventually, on some of their software under macOS Sierra and may someday get around to fixing their products. Do you think they know that the beta versions of Sierra had been out for months and they could have done their testing well before public release? Nikon is not a serious software company.

Open Office does not work well with Sierra. Legacy Java run time environment is missing in Sierra. But even after reinstalling Java RTE, it still does not work 100% correctly. I can only get it to open / run by opening an existing file. In this case I guess you get what you paid for.

Old 09-30-2016   #24
willie_901

Quote:
...Nikon is not a serious software company.
The understatement of the decade.

Leica has it right. Just pay Adobe to do it.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Aperture
Old 09-30-2016   #25
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Aperture

Quote:
I have moved on to Lightroom but when I saw your question I opened aperture to see if there were any problems and it worked just fine. I didn't do an import or any thing other than open a picture and fiddle with it a bit.

Old 09-30-2016   #26
Kenj8246

An update: I solved my printing problem with the help of a techie here at TAMU. Had to delete and re-install my Pixma Pro 100 printer with the latest driver I could find which was the one for El Capitan. So far, so good. All else 'seems to be working' acceptably.

Old 10-03-2016   #27
View Range

I now see (MacRumors/MacBlog) that Apple, Adobe and the printer companies recognize a problem when printing for Photoshop under Sierra. This is a tough one because three or more companies are involved. Neither Apple nor Adobe would own these printers to see if the drivers work. The printer companies don't know what Adobe is doing even if they try the macOS beta.

From my perspective Canon (printer and scanner) is slow on upgrading drivers. I had a problem with MP Navigator under Yosemite. But now MP Navigator works well again.

Microsoft Office also doesn't work right. This one is on Microsoft. Issues seem somewhat similar to those with Open Office.

Old 10-25-2016   #28
View Range

macOS Sierra 10.12.1 was released yesterday. It resolves all the problems with Open Office 4.1.3 that I have seen. It seems to have solved the problems when printing from Photoshop CC. There are so many printers out there, it is hard to know if they now all work.

Old 10-25-2016   #29
jarski

Been using Sierra now few weeks. Nikon softwares ViewNX and CaptureNX running fine, although am not power user that tries everything.

Old 10-25-2016   #30
Ronald M

I am not upgrading at all period. NOT UNTIL something I need no longer works.
I have had to much stuff go to pot.

I have a second and third computer I can use for internet.

Learn to make a bootable disk and back up

Old 10-25-2016   #31
Kenj8246

Quote:
macOS Sierra 10.12.1 was released yesterday. It resolves all the problems with Open Office 4.1.3 that I have seen. It seems to have solved the problems when printing from Photoshop CC. There are so many printers out there, it is hard to know if they now all work.
I installed that update last nite but didn't think to try printing from Photoshop CC. Doh! It didn't say anything explicitly about printing or Photoshop in the update blurb so I just did it and went on...will have to check it out. Got a trip out to west TX next week so I'll have some stuff to print (I hope)

Old 10-25-2016   #32
AAlfano

I upgraded my MacBook Air to Sierra last week. Battery life seems dramatically reduced—maybe 25–30%. Anyone else notice this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-25-2016   #33
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlfano View Post
I upgraded my MacBook Air to Sierra last week. Battery life seems dramatically reduced—maybe 25–30%. Anyone else notice this?
After doing the Sierra install, it's important to leave the computer on the power adapter and running for a while: A notice tells you that you might experience slow operations for a while as Sierra indexes the startup volume in the background. This also has the effect of cutting battery life until it's done with those operations.

If you leave the computer plugged in and running overnight (defeat the auto-power-off and sleep functions temporarily), then reboot it in the morning, you'll find your battery life is normal or a little better than it was before. Usual laptop usage spreads this out over several days or weeks depending on how much actual 'up' time your usage implies.

G

Old 10-25-2016   #34
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenj8246 View Post
I installed that update last nite but didn't think to try printing from Photoshop CC. Doh! It didn't say anything explicitly about printing or Photoshop in the update blurb so I just did it and went on...will have to check it out. Got a trip out to west TX next week so I'll have some stuff to print (I hope)
I'll be testing printing with LR this weekend. Adobe also recently released LR 6.7 which supposedly has a fix for a regression in v6.5-6.6 with respect to color profile management.

G

Old 10-25-2016   #35
pepeguitarra

I did. I do not have Photoshop, but LR is fine.

Old 10-25-2016   #36
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
I was on Nikon Europe surfing for something else. Some of the older programs like NX2 ?, Nikon view, view, Nikon Transfer and I some other tether and control programs. The list was maybe 15 items.

NXD is still good.

The lesson I have learned is do not update or things break and can not be fixed, printers, scanner , sometimes even back up drives. My wonderful MK5400 scanner is toast. Two choices are VUE SCAN which is junk and Silverfast which cost $500 and can not be used on another scanner. Blow a bulb and $500 down the drain.

I am keeping my Mac Pro off line and will use something else for surfing and E mail.
Agree! My Mac Pro is still on 10.7 Lion. Everything works great so no reason to update. Upgrades are generally followed by headaches. I have 3 internal drives in my Mac pro and have one with el capitan on it if I need it but all of my work is done on 10.7.

With El Capitan my Wacom doesn't work as well as several applications. No need to spend a couple thousand dollars to keep up with changes I don't need.

Old 10-25-2016   #37
greyelm
Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
No upgrade for me, They've made this one incompatible with my computer. I've got an Early 2008 Mac Pro, dual 2.8ghz four-core processors with 20gb of RAM. Its 'ancient' I guess by computer standards but it is still a very fast and reliable system. I'm running El Capitan on it now.
Me too.

Old 10-25-2016   #38
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

I use the build-in photos app (very easy to use, has enough features for me), so I wanted the upgrade. No problems.

Old 10-25-2016   #39
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

My i-mac mysteriously starting downloading the new operating system in the background with no indication it was doing so. Amazing considering I disabled all that stuff ages ago!

Old 10-26-2016   #40
willie_901

At this point SW upgrades on all platforms are a significant way to minimize security risks.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com