Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Linhof 220
Old 04-07-2009   #1
petronius

Linhof 220

I recently found a nearly mint Linhof 220 in black for the price of
82,-EUR! It seems to be the last model. Different to all information I found in the net so far it has a hot shoe and no transport blocking after the tenth frame.
This camera will be fun! The test shots of the Technikar I saw were amazing. The camera is a heavy beast, but the grip fits my hand perfectly. Loading and unloading worked without problems. The first pictures will follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0002.jpg (25.4 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0003.jpg (23.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0007.jpg (37.8 KB, 121 views)

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 04-07-2009   #2
Frank1969

82 euro for a Linhof 220 that's almost for free. I had one a few years ago but I found it awkward for horizontal photos. Still a very nice camera.

Old 04-07-2009   #3
Roger Vadim

oh my god... what a great portrait camera... and 80 € is a steal, the grey ones go for up to 700 €... and thats at fleebay.

I want one

Old 04-07-2009   #4
petronius

It seems to be one of the great deals of my life. The seller posted the ad on a german site where nobody seems to look for non-digital cameras. (Some months ago I bought a Nikon F-801s body for 30,-EUR there.) The description of the Linhof lacked the cameraīs name, only the lens was named.
Iīve been looking for a 6x7 rangefinder some years now. My first choice would have been the Makina 67, but the prices are insane. The Koni Omega and the Mamiya Press have left hand releases, which I donīt really like. One year ago I reduced my equipment to 35mm-cameras and decided to forget the medium format. And now comes this Linhof. Fortunately I heve a big Jobo tank and reels that can be changed from 35mm to 120.

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 04-09-2009   #5
petronius

Thoughts and examples from the first roll.
Itīs a strange feeling to carry this heavyload as a everyday shooter. The weight, the size and the looks of the people are quite different from carrying a Zorki 1!
The work feeling is great nevertheless. All knobs and dials are really big and work perfect. The finder is not the best for wearing glasses, the handgrip is great for slower speeds. Loading is much easier as suggested in some websites - no problems so far.
The results are imho super. First, a 6x7 negative is a joy to look at; second the lensī quality is beyond any critics.
The example is shot on Fortepan 400, developed in Rodinal 1+100, stand (10 inversions at start, 1 inversion every 15 minutes).
Scan at 2400dpi with Canoscan 8400F in grayscale mode, using Canons own software. The details are cropped 100%, one at the border, one in an OOF zone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220-2009-001.03.jpg (73.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg 220-2009-001.03-3.jpg (36.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 220-2009-001.03-2.jpg (37.2 KB, 127 views)

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 08-10-2013   #6
kram

What is the weight of the camera? Can't find this info on the net.

Old 08-23-2016   #7
petronius

kram, I know itīs way quite late, but here is the weight: 1489 g including the film and the lens hood.

If anyone wants to see what I have shot with the Linhof 220 since 2009, have a look here:
http://linhof-220.tumblr.com/

I finally scanned all the Linhof negatives and will add them in the next weeks/months. Big negatives have way too much room for dust and scratches!

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 08-23-2016   #8
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

A treasure find.
Fabulous camera, fabulous price.
82 euro might be good as the VAT. :-)
Congratulations, Petronious.

Old 08-23-2016   #9
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Why was it called the 220? It's an odd name by Linhof tradition. Is it 120/220 capable? And do you know who made the lens? Schneider?
I'll look forward to seeing some more images from this fascinating aristocratic camera.
Cheers
Brett

Old 08-23-2016   #10
petronius

Brett, the camera can use 120 and 220 film. When it was introduced, Linhof used the fast shooting on 220 film as a main feature in the advertising.

The lens was made by Rodenstock.

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 08-23-2016   #11
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Why was it called the 220? It's an odd name by Linhof tradition. Is it 120/220 capable? And do you know who made the lens? Schneider?
I'll look forward to seeing some more images from this fascinating aristocratic camera.
Cheers
Brett
Dear Brett,

Linhof-selected (and re-badged) Rodenstock Heligon 90/2.8, as far as I am aware.

Linhof were great believers in 220 but (thank the gods) didn't make the 220 as 220-only. They were also great believers in 70mm.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-23-2016   #12
petronius

Here is a lens test.

Here is a photo.net discussion about the lens type.

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 08-23-2016   #13
Michael I.

wow, thats some deal

Old 08-24-2016   #14
lynnb

Wow, Zeno, congratulations on a magnificent find!
Flickr

Old 08-24-2016   #15
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Thanks everyone for the additional information. What a desirable camera! If I hadn't acquired a Super Technika myself, recently, I'd be very jealous. Actually, I think I still am, a bit.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 08-24-2016   #16
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by petronius View Post
Here is a lens test.

Here is a photo.net discussion about the lens type.
Thanks very much indeed! My original answer shows the dangers of inadequate research, failing memory and careless reading (Technikon/Technikar). Tessar-type certainly makes more sense. I should know all this from Alpa press releases!

Cheers,

R

Old 08-24-2016   #17
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Thanks everyone for the additional information. What a desirable camera! If I hadn't acquired a Super Technika myself, recently, I'd be very jealous. Actually, I think I still am, a bit.
Cheers,
Brett
Dear Brett,

Not so much. I find an ST with one (or even two, LH/RH) anatomical grips much easier to hold. Have you one for your ST?

But the 220 is a lot quicker to use, even if it's a bit like a Rollei TLR with a handle when it comes to balance. Again my recollection is that it was promoted for press fork, where portrait format is often at a premium. Again my recollection may be wrong...

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-24-2016   #18
petronius

Roger, size and handling are similar to a Rollei TLR with grip and prism; the 6x7 format (in fact is is more like 55x72mm) is (was) an advantage for press work. Using preloaded film inserts is a big help; loading the camera with a new roll is not the quickest task. Luckily I can shoot the 220 with a more Zen-like approach. For me itīs more big negative than quick shooting.

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 08-24-2016   #19
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Brett,

Not so much. I find an ST with one (or even two, LH/RH) anatomical grips much easier to hold. Have you one for your ST?

But the 220 is a lot quicker to use, even if it's a bit like a Rollei TLR with a handle when it comes to balance. Again my recollection is that it was promoted for press fork, where portrait format is often at a premium. Again my recollection may be wrong...

Cheers,

R.
Hi Roger,
Yes I do have the standard left hand anatomical grip, happily, and what a wonderful thing it is, too. One of the things that swayed me was that just about every item originally supplied with the camera was still with it.

I'm enjoying learning more about this less-often mentioned 220 model Linhof, it's fascinating.
Cheers
Brett

Old 08-24-2016   #20
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Roger, size and handling are similar to a Rollei TLR with grip and prism; the 6x7 format (in fact is is more like 55x72mm) is (was) an advantage for press work. Using preloaded film inserts is a big help; loading the camera with a new roll is not the quickest task. Luckily I can shoot the 220 with a more Zen-like approach. For me itīs more big negative than quick shooting.
Yes, I know. That's my objection... But yes, the 56x72mm format is wonderful, and at 3x should be indistinguishable in size, tonality and sharpness from a whole-plate contact print.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-24-2016   #21
petronius

Interestingly Linhof promoted the 220 in magazine ads for the amateur use. This was imo not often a good idea, sometimes even funny. I recall an ad in which the 220 hangs from the wrist of a person who is biking!

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 08-24-2016   #22
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Interestingly Linhof promoted the 220 in magazine ads for the amateur use. This was imo not often a good idea, sometimes even funny. I recall an ad in which the 220 hangs from the wrist of a person who is biking!
And in Linhof im Praxis (as far as I recall) there's a picture of a pretty girl using one -- and EVERYONE knows that women can't use complicated cameras. It overheats their brains...

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-24-2016   #23
agfa100

Plus the story I heard about the 220 before I got mine was that it was pushed as a wedding camera... and the stories go on.....
wbill

Old 08-24-2016   #24
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfa100 View Post
Plus the story I heard about the 220 before I got mine was that it was pushed as a wedding camera... and the stories go on.....
wbill
Seems likely. It was a bit of a solution in search of a problem, wasn't it? A bit like the Press 70. Great cameras; small markets.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-24-2016   #25
agfa100

Yea, I always wanted a Press 70 why I have no idea. I am so happy to have my RX-1 as my main camera these days.
wbill

Old 08-24-2016   #26
petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfa100 View Post
Yea, I always wanted a Press 70 why I have no idea.
There is a bunch of these camera beasts, Koni Omega, Mamiya Press, Technika 70 and of course the Press 70. Maybe they remind us of the feeling of our toy trains - wonderful mechanics.

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 09-19-2016   #27
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

I was fortunate enough to spot three issues of Photo Technik magazine at a local second hand shop recently. One of them is the April 1971 edition. They are all full of wonderful articles, photographs, and advertisements, many of them for Linhof. As Photo Technik was published by Nikolaus Karpf (or at least, later issues were) this will not be surprising to many, since he was the owner of Linhof for a number of years. On page 33 of the April 1971 issue I found an advertisement for the Linhof 220, and I immediately thought of Petronius and this thread.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 04-15-2018   #28
petronius

The first time I had a color film in my Linhof 220. Rollei CR200, a film with a little bit odd colors. The cameras selenium cell is quite off, so I used my Lunasix 3.

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 04-15-2018   #29
petronius

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 05-05-2019   #30
petronius

I nearly forgot: Ten years ago I bought my Linhof 220:

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 05-05-2019   #31
petronius

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 05-05-2019   #32