Contax T2 look for M mount?
Old 07-21-2016   #1
MadsJaeger

Contax T2 look for M mount?

I have a Contax T2 and I love the lens on that little thing (38mm Carl Zeiss Sonnar f/2.8). Sharp, great microcontrast and that Zeiss "3D look" which I really like.

However, being a P&S the T2 isn't really suited for manual control, and I'm looking for an M mount lens (35mm) that would give me a similar look on film with my M6. I was thinking about the Zeiss 2/35 Biogon ZM but would appreciate inputs you might have on whether this lens has a similar rendering (i.e., Zeiss look)? Zeiss also makes a 2.8/35 ZM which should be great but, living in a country that's dark most of the year, I'd appreciate the extra stop provided by the 2/35 ZM.

Any input appreciated

Old 07-21-2016   #2
sepiareverb
genius and moron

The T2 lens can be converted to M mount...

Old 07-21-2016   #3
anerjee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsJaeger View Post
I have a Contax T2 and I love the lens on that little thing (38mm Carl Zeiss Sonnar f/2.8). Sharp, great microcontrast and that Zeiss "3D look" which I really like.

However, being a P&S the T2 isn't really suited for manual control, and I'm looking for an M mount lens (35mm) that would give me a similar look on film with my M6. I was thinking about the Zeiss 2/35 Biogon ZM but would appreciate inputs you might have on whether this lens has a similar rendering (i.e., Zeiss look)? Zeiss also makes a 2.8/35 ZM which should be great but, living in a country that's dark most of the year, I'd appreciate the extra stop provided by the 2/35 ZM.

Any input appreciated
I've used both. The 35/2 Biogon is a more modern lens, sharper and with more bite. It is also bigger than other 35/2 lens for the m-mount system.

Another lovely option is the Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar. It is a stop slower, but the rendering is just lovely!

Old 07-21-2016   #4
MadsJaeger

Thank you for the responses!

Sepiareverb: This could be done but I'd hate to kill my T2 :-). If it dies on me some day I might consider getting a Frankenstein job done on it.

DrMcCoy: I do know of the 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar ZM but am looking for a 35mm (I have a 50 cron which I tend to use much less than my 35 cron V4. 35 just works best for me). I know the Biogon is a different design but wondered if it would produce the Zeiss look similar to the T2 Sonnar (I don't mind the modern look). Images on Flickr suggests that it does.

Anerjee: Thank you for suggesting the Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar. I didn't know that one but will surely check it out.

Old 07-21-2016   #5
rfaspen

Hm. I can't think of any 35mm Sonnar in M mount. Would there be any offerings from MS Optical perhaps?

FWIW, the Biogons (either f/2 or 2.8) are sure nice lenses.

Old 07-21-2016   #6
k__43
Registered Film User

I was blown away by that little lens when I got the camera - it's so freaking sharp in the center! I'm sure this is not purely resolution but extremely high micro contrast but I liked it a lot. It starts to fall off a lot in the corners tho. I sold my T2 in a act of madness and like you I'd love a similar lens for the M, but I guess with that money spend for something like that I might buy another T2.
The Rollei 40mm is a collectors item now .. no chance to get it for a sane price. I believe I've read somewhere it's the Rollei 35 Sonnar in M mount.

You might want to consider the biogon-C, it's supposed to wipe the floor with most other lenses for center resolution.

Old 07-21-2016   #7
Peter_S

Not sure about the lens of the T2, and can only comment on the T3 (I own a T too, with the 38mm). The 35mm on the T3 is not a real Sonnar, and closest in the ZM setup is the 2.8/35mm Biogon (acc. to a Zeiss employee). I used both the 2/35 and 2.8/35mm on the M6, and do not like them as much as the Contax T3 or T results. One characteristic of the T3 and T lenses is the gentle fall-off from in-focus to OOF, which sometimes reminds me of medium format (I still use the T3 a lot along digital and MF). The 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar is OK but nothing like that.
I suspect that the mentioned Rollei 40/2.8 maybe an option - else Biogon 2/35. The latter is top-notch in all aspects.
--------------------------
www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 07-21-2016   #8
bennyng
Benny Ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerjee View Post
Another lovely option is the Rollei 40/2.8 Sonnar. It is a stop slower, but the rendering is just lovely!
I would agree that this is the closest to the T2. An excellent suggestion.

Cheers,

Old 07-22-2016   #9
peterm1

I agree that the lens on the T2 is a top lens with a unique look. As you say, sharp with superb micro contrast. Really special. I have no idea which M lens would give this look but I strongly suspect it would be a Zeiss not a Leica one.

Old 07-22-2016   #10
splitimageview

There will be a user conversion of the T3 lens this fall by the same outfit that is making the 50/2.4 Summarit conversion of the Minilux. And the same for 35/2 Hexar AF. I've already acquired a dead one for optical donation...

Old 07-22-2016   #11
KismetSky

I believe Hamish Gill may still have his Nikon L35AF converted lens still for sale. Here's the listing on his site: http://35mmc.com/shop/product/ms-opt...on-l35af-lens/

A quick google search reviews that it is a Sonnar design, but I have no idea how it compares to the Contax lens.

Old 07-22-2016   #12
nongfuspring

I'm not 100% sure if the Rollei 40mm 2.8 will be the most similar, it's actually supposed to be an Ernostar rather than a Sonnar and has HFT coatings rather than T*. To my eye the Rollei is a little dreamier than the T2 but I haven't used a T2 much. Maybe more importantly it's pretty hard to find and expensive when you do. If manual control is the most important thing to you, then I'd suggest a Rollei 35S or SE - they're really great cameras and a total bargain ($120-200 for a good one).

Otherwise I think MS optical actually sells T2 lenses ready-converted, or at least did.

Old 07-22-2016   #13
sepiareverb
genius and moron

The Rollei 40/2.8 LTM lens is also very prone to haze, and I've heard from several techs, including DHW that the lens cannot be opened to work on. One US tech tried to open up one copy I had and severely scuffed up the barrel and the faceplate ring around the front element without actually opening it up.

Old 07-24-2016   #14
Peter_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
This is interesting - I often feel that the ZM Sonnar looks like MF. It's funny how different we all perceive ...
Indeed. I find the transition from focus to OOF to be way too harsh in the 1.5 Sonnar. MF is smoother.
Anyhow - to go back to the initial question. I gave up on the T3 "look" in M-mount and just use the T3 within its limitations - and got a T (RF) as backup or addition (manual focus) when I want to shoot something in 135 format.
--------------------------
www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 07-27-2016   #15
brennanphotoguy

My vote goes to finding a busted T2 and scrapping everything except the lens and converting it to M mount.