27mm f2.8 OK ?
Old 07-18-2016   #1
dee

27mm f2.8 OK ?

I have sold a Leica II to purchase a budget lens for the X-Pro 1- bought despite dire warnings !
I am fine with the 41 mm nom focal length , and I can get one for £150 creating a camera with OVF for £450 .
I also prefer the compact nature of the combination for travel considered snap shooting.
Bearing in mind that fast focus is not one of my concerns and I am constricted on funds - does anyone rate the 27mm ?

Thanks

dee
Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-M1 joined by neat X-T1

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .
Minolta SR1s/SR7v/SRTs various !

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.

Old 07-18-2016   #2
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
does anyone rate the 27mm ?
I don't have the 27mm, but I recently borrowed one, briefly, to use on my x-E1. It is very light and compact; good image quality; pleasant to use.

I'm fairly comfortable with the lenses that I currently have for the x-E1, but if I were to get another lens for it, this would probably be the one...

Old 07-18-2016   #3
Mjd-djm

I owned one for a while a few years ago. I seem to recall the first one I had was badly decentered, with one side of the frame being really soft. The second copy was great. It is very compact an the image quality was impressive right from 2.8. I would say that while capable it is not the most exciting lens to use and didn't really have any standout qualities that make it worth keeping, so I sold it.

Old 07-18-2016   #4
13Promet

It's a wonderful lens.
I've run a direct comparison with the untouchable 23mm that I also own and found out that the IQ difference in terms of sharpness is not that impressive, especially f/4 and up.
Slimming down my Fuji equipment, the 23 has gone, while the 27 is still here.

www.alessandrosaponaro.com

Instagram: a.saponaro.photography

Old 07-18-2016   #5
daveleo
what?

I have one. It is an excellent carry-around lens - small and light.
Doesn't have the image magic of the 35/1.4, but what does? Well worth $200USD (used), IMO.

Old 07-18-2016   #6
sojournerphoto

Brilliant alround lens. Small, light, sharp and, importantly, a very nice field of view.

Focus can be a bit clunky, but not really slow on the XP2, just noisy.

On the XP2 the ovf framelines have a lot of space around them, as it uses the lower magnification. Not sure about the XP1.

Mine, along with my XP2, has currently gone away to foreign climes with my older daughter as her sole travel lens. I chose the kit she should take.

Mike

Old 07-18-2016   #7
willie_901

I used the 27/2.8 often on the X-Pro 1. This compact lens made the camera a convenient daily carry. I enjoyed 27/2.8's field of view since one of my daily carries was a Canonet III QL-17.

It is a great reportage lens. The contrast and rendering is similar to other XF lenses. The AF is quicker compared to larger lenses such as the 35/1.4 XF.

It's weakness is found in the extreme corners of the frame. The lens relies heavily on post-acquiaition barrel distortion corrections. These corrections are least effective at the frame edges. I bought the lens when it first came out. The edge problem was more obvious then. In my experience, the most recent 27/8 XF lens firmware update significantly improved the frame corner rendering.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-18-2016   #8
jsrockit

What do you expect? Are you a pixel peeper that agonizes over the corners of their image not being sharp at "100%" or are you looking for something that can generally produce acceptable results for photography?

Old 07-18-2016   #9
nongfuspring

1. Is 2.8 fast enough? (bearing in mind it's an APSC sensor, so you get a stop greater DOF)
3. Do you mind not having an aperture dial?
4. Are you OK with plastic?

If the answers to all those are yes then just buy it, it's the best value X lens with performance on par with the much more expensive and much larger options. The reason I don't own one is that I didn't feel the lens had much personality, which is probably mainly from the fact it's fairly slow.

Old 07-18-2016   #10
dee

Fair Point jsrockit. / thanks nongfuspring
I am simply seeking a reasonable quality carry around camera with an acceptable IQ for town architecture / cars etc , few people , but I don't really do people ...
Being brought up on film SLRs of the 70s , I have no problem with soft edges etc !
It's an indulgence , once more , but I am certain that it will be that carry all camera with a relief to return to just one lens - like the M8 CV 35 F2.5.
I can cope with plastic on a smaller scale / got used to not having an aperture dial - but would prefer it / i use f3.5 Fed collapsible on the M8 [ a faulty one 'cos the register is OK !!
i like the M8 , but have difficulty with focusing at times .
[ The Sony A35 with massive plastic 35 f 1.8 is not quite as pleasant to use.

Thanks everyone
- I am going to go for it - my Leica II won't be sacrificed in vain !
dee

t .

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.

Last edited by dee : 07-18-2016 at 07:31. Reason: Add stuff

Old 07-18-2016   #11
jsrockit

Quote:
I am simply seeking a reasonable quality carry around camera with an acceptable IQ for town architecture / cars etc , few people , but I don't really do people ...
You'll be fine...

Old 07-18-2016   #12
FrankS

I'd love my 27 if it had an aperture dial. I miss that. But i'm old and inflexible.

photography makes me happy

Old 07-18-2016   #13
Dogman

Optically the 27mm is impressive. The lack of an aperture ring makes it a little less appealing but still useful. I used mine in lieu of a 23mm (35mm equiv.) for a while. I've since bought the 23/1.4 as well as a used X100S with the built-in 23/2 so the 27mm doesn't get as much service now. Mine came with an X-Pro1 in a kit at a price I couldn't pass up. That got me hooked on Fujis and I now own 4 cameras and several lenses.

Dee, as a small indiscrete "carry around" lens for the subject matter you shoot, it's a really excellent choice. Being a 40mm (or so) equivalent, it can look both wide or normal based on how you approach your subject.

Old 07-18-2016   #14
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Great lens at a great price.

Dante

Old 07-18-2016   #15
k__43
Registered Film User

I had it for a short time before I was totally frustrated with the X-E1 and sold everything.
The lens was quite good, i missed the aperture ring but not as much as I thought I would.

Old 07-18-2016   #16
dee

I reckon £450 was a combined price which I cannot refuse !

Thanks everyone - it seems such a controversial camera , but I am hoping to use the OVF and let the camera do it's own thing !

dee

Old 07-18-2016   #17
Jake Mongey

I dont own one myself but upon borrowing a friends Xpro with this lens for a wedding i can say its pretty sharp and good rendering, AF was quite slow but that just seems to be a Fuji problem.

Old 07-18-2016   #18
sojournerphoto

I've also got a Canon fd 28/2.8 that I use on an adaptor. That has an aperture ring and can be reasonably zone focused, but it's much bigger.

Mike

Old 07-18-2016   #19
gavinlg

It's a pretty good lens. Optically great, tiny, quick focussing. It would be a fantastic lens if it were f2, and had an aperture ring, but such is life.

Old 07-19-2016   #20
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
You'll be fine...
Absolutely.

Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-19-2016   #21
dee

... yes , but it is being sold new for £150 , I don't think f2 and an aperture ring would cost that little !
I am on a tight budget here !!
dee

Old 07-19-2016   #22
SaveKodak

Personally I think it should be an F2 lens for the price you're paying. If they can make a pancake 18/2 with an aperture ring idk why they can't make a 27/2 with the same. The 40/2 pancake from Voigtlander is a true gem, the Fuji can't really come close in terms of DoF and rendering.

Old 07-19-2016   #23
daveleo
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
I'd love my 27 if it had an aperture dial. I miss that. But i'm old and inflexible.
Yeh, an aperture ring would only add about 6mm to the length. The lens would still be very small.

Old 07-19-2016   #24
SamShio
hiking/walking photog

I have one...somewhere. It has been part of a search as I have no clue where it is in my house or if I left it somewhere! I enjoy it for it's compactness and quality.

Old 07-20-2016   #25
13Promet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
Personally I think it should be an F2 lens for the price you're paying. If they can make a pancake 18/2 with an aperture ring idk why they can't make a 27/2 with the same. The 40/2 pancake from Voigtlander is a true gem, the Fuji can't really come close in terms of DoF and rendering.
The 18 f/2 barrel is about double depth compared to the 27...
And you can't also compare it with a RF lens where they don't need to house an autofocus system...

www.alessandrosaponaro.com

Instagram: a.saponaro.photography

Old 07-20-2016   #26
dee

Thanks for all your advise -

27 f2.8 ordered @ £150 , which has got to be a great price .
Luckily , I like the 41 mm nom on crop factor .
I also like the tiny size and weight .
I just checked the receipt for the new body - I had assumed almost £300 , but it was £158 , so complete camera for £308 !!![ I don't pay for things ]
I know that I must be mean , but retirement sucks financially - I will no longer be able to justify another camera .

dee

Old 07-20-2016   #27
Benjamin Marks

Quote:
I have sold a Leica II to purchase a budget lens for the X-Pro 1- bought despite dire warnings !
Dire warnings? There is something dire about the X-Pro 1? Mine works well and I have no complaints, other than slow data transfer rates from chip to card when shooting RAW+Jpg. Why dire?

Old 07-20-2016   #28
ornate_wrasse

Quote:
I just checked the receipt for the new body - I had assumed almost £300 , but it was £158 , so complete camera for £308 !!!...

... retirement sucks financially - I will no longer be able to justify another camera .
That is fantastic. It's always a very pleasant surprise to have a camera cost less than you thought it was going to cost.

I can relate to the constraints of retirement living I can no longer afford to spend money on cameras/lenses like I used to in the days when I was working full time. Like you, I bought the X Pro 1 and the 27mm lens. So far I've been happy, although the lack of an aperture dial on the lens was a bit puzzling when I started to use the lens.

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8

Old 07-20-2016   #29
dee

So many have criticised the camera for low light focusing and other quirks - the learning curve looks a little concerning , but it's just too elegant to pass up - and I love the OVF !
I don't have aperture dials on my DSLRs , so no problem for me .

Old 07-20-2016   #30
Landberg

It's a great lens!

Old 07-20-2016   #31
jpressman
Culver City, CA

I've really enjoyed mine on the XP1. Great size for carrying around, quick focus, no problems with IQ. And 40mm is really sweet - reminds me of the 45 on the Contax G2 I used to have.

Old 07-21-2016   #32
willie_901

Quote:
So many have criticised the camera for low light focusing and other quirks - the learning curve looks a little concerning , but it's just too elegant to pass up - and I love the OVF !
I don't have aperture dials on my DSLRs , so no problem for me .
The X-Pro 1 focuses well in low light. However, compared to newer models, it stumbles focusing on low contrast subjects.

I preferred to use the OVF. It pays to be mindful the AF could find a higher contrast object behind your intended focus point. There are a couple of strategies that eliminate or minimize this issue.

Once the X-Pro 1 menu options match your preferred work flow, the learning curve involves becoming familiar with the OVF parallax correction frames and when it pays to switch to the EVF for focus confirmation. An experienced RF photographer quickly adapts to the former and the latter just requires some practice.

There are numerous on-line guides and other sources (I dare not mention) available to new X-Pro 1 owners.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 08-03-2016   #33
dee

Thanks everyone , the advise is priceless .

I have received the lens and the combination is perfect .
I love the style and handling , getting to grips with the manual .
The screen and EVF are crisp compared to my Sony A35 , quite a revelation .
There is an enormous amount of info online . I guess that , due to it being a Pro tool , some irritations may be more concerning than for me .

Off to Malaysia on Saturday so X-Pro plus , believe it or not, a much maligned Sony A290 with lovely colours from it's CCD, crazy , but it mimics a Minolta 404si 35-80 which provided excellent Fujichrome slides in 1997 in Toronto . I live the crop factor of 52-120 , perfect complement to the X-Pro .

The X-Pro can cope with low light / family restaurants etc and those quiet times as with the M8 , when concentrating on quality over family etc snap shooting .

Don't you love new/used hand-me-downs !!
dee

Old 08-04-2016   #34
willie_901

'Wishing you save travels and many, many joyful times on your trip.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com