Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

New Ultron 35/1.7 or Nokton 1.5 close focus question
Old 06-16-2016   #1
k__43
Registered Film User

New Ultron 35/1.7 or Nokton 1.5 close focus question

So I'm considering an Ultron 35 Version 2 and I have one thing that makes me hesitate. As far as I see it it focuses closer than the RF coupling.
(The same goes for the new Nokton 50/1.5)

Can anyone tell me if that is annoying? I mean I like focusing at the closest side of the scale and usually go as close as possible and then rather move myself. Now with that "feature" I might end up thinking I focused too close and then rather not going to the closest possible distance out of fear I could go too far (too short that means).

how problematic is that or do I overthink this too much?

Old 06-16-2016   #2
Erik van Straten

When you do not choose the closest side of the scale, but 0.7m, there will be no problem. You can mark this point with a tiny mark, nailpolish or something like that. At 0.7m the coupling of the rangefinder stops, I don't know why.

With the 50mm this problem does not exist. This lens goes to 0.70m and stops there.

Both are super fine lenses.

Erik.

Old 06-16-2016   #3
SaveKodak

My 28/2.8 Biogon focuses to .5m. It's not an issue. YOu can tell when the RF is no longer responsive and you yourself will be aware of the limitation of the RF. When selecting MFD just set it to .7 and go. Or if you're using an M 240 or other live view cam, you have the option of focusing closer. It's a feature, not a bug, as they say.

Old 06-16-2016   #4
rscheffler

I have the new 35/1.7... you just have to pay attention to the RF patch. You'll see it stop moving even though the focusing ring is still turning. This way you'll know you're no longer RF coupled.

I suppose Cosina could have included a small 'bump' to increase resistance momentarily when reaching the minimum RF coupled distance, like some other RF lenses (IIRC Nikkor 50/1.4, WATE), but I haven't found it to be a significant concern in day to day use. Just something to keep in mind when working near 70cm.

The 35/1.7 is an excellent lens and I wouldn't let a minor concern like this steer you away from it.

Old 06-16-2016   #5
pechelman
resu deretsiger

i echo the comments from the others about using lenses closer than the .7m mfd of a rangefinder. Just watch the patch where it stops responding. Also, on the 240/246, I've noticed that the RF seems to couple just a wee bit closer than .7m according to the focal scale on the lens. I've not actually measured it, but that's what it looks like on the patch. It makes sense to me that the RF arm would have to have a little bit more engagement beyond .7m to make sure there's good response at that distance between the lens cam and RF arm.

Old 06-16-2016   #6
ferider

Reg the 35/1.7: to focus with the finder, put the lens on 0.7m focus distance, and rock your body back and forth.

It's nice to be able to focus closer, in particular with LV. Like this:

Old 06-16-2016   #7
pechelman
resu deretsiger

and another old school alternative to using liveview to focus on objects closer than .7m;

for example if you have a lens that focuses down to .5m, use a 1m long camera strap. Then, use your thumb to pull the strap away from the camera and in front of it, sort of like a slingshot. That will appx .5m just infront of your thumb since some of the 1m length is shortened below .5m due to the width between the lugs.

Old 06-17-2016   #8
k__43
Registered Film User

Thank you everyone!
The strap measurement trick was given to me already before.
I'm just not sure how my friends will react when I poke them in the nose with my strap around the thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
With the 50mm this problem does not exist. This lens goes to 0.70m and stops there.
Thanks for clearing that mistake of mine.

Old 06-17-2016   #9
ray*j*gun

I don't follow this issue. I have a 35mm Ultron 1.7 LTM and it only shows .9 on the focus scale? Are we saying it actually focuses closer?

Old 06-17-2016   #10
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray*j*gun View Post
I don't follow this issue. I have a 35mm Ultron 1.7 LTM and it only shows .9 on the focus scale? Are we saying it actually focuses closer?
The new, M-mount version does, Raymond.

Old 06-19-2016   #11
ray*j*gun

Ah, thank you ferider.

Old 08-31-2016   #12
k__43
Registered Film User

So I got one and the problem does annoy me a bit but not as much as I would have thought.