Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Which camera to offer as monochrome?
Fuji XPro2, XT10, X100 25 60.98%
Oly Pen F, OMD EM10ii 4 9.76%
Pana GX8, LX100/Leica DLux 2 4.88%
Ricoh GRii, GRii 40mm equivalent 8 19.51%
Pentax K1, KS2, 645Z 2 4.88%
Sony A7Sii, A7Rii, 6300 4 9.76%
Sigma SDH 1 2.44%
Nikon D750, D500, D3300 1 2.44%
Canon 7Dii, GX7ii 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Mono-poll
Old 03-16-2016   #1
xenohip

Mono-poll

The thread regarding tanking camera sales got me thinking about monochrome cameras again... maybe some manufacturer would be selling (quite) a few more cameras if only that manufacturer could see fit to offer a reasonably priced monochrome camera.

So it's time for a new poll!

Which camera would you most like to see offered in an affordable monochrome version?

Considering that the sensor processing should be easier than for a bayer camera, for the purpose of this poll please assume that the monochrome version would be offered at the same or lower price than the color version.

I've thrown in a few options for each manufacturer-- please specify your exact choice (and why, if you are so inclined).

Old 03-18-2016   #2
xenohip

Heh! Scratch that, not (quite) a few more cameras, but a couple more cameras-- one to me and one to the person who wants a monochrome GR!!

Seriously though, a native monochrome camera captures ~3 times as much light as a similar bayer sensor camera. Images at ISO 2500 native monochrome should be about the same quality as ISO 800 bayer converted to monochrome.

You all serious photographers don't do any available light captures converted to monochrome, where you wish you weren't throwing away 2/3 of that available light every exposure?!?

I'll put my vote in for micro4/3. The cameras seem reasonably good, the lens selection seems more than good, and the native monochrome advantage might be most relevant in this case. E.g. a modest m4/3 camera moves up to the quality level of a fairly high end full frame.

Old 03-18-2016   #3
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Voted for the Fuji bunch. Would making it a mono only mean the X-Trans filter array would be gone? If so, how would that mean yet another Camera Raw update?

Old 03-19-2016   #4
sojournerphoto

I'd love to see a Fuji XP2 with a Mono sensor, but they tried it and concluded that the acros and Mono conversions were 'just as good'. Ultimately, there probably aren't enough people interested to make it worth their while.

Camera raw already processes leica Mono files and treats as 'no demosaicing'. It would be a small update only required I think.

Old 03-19-2016   #5
user237428934
User deletion pending

I don't need a camera that only captures a b/w image. What do I vote?

Old 03-19-2016   #6
k__43
Registered Film User

Sony A7 for the sensor size

Old 03-19-2016   #7
xenohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
I don't need a camera that only captures a b/w image. What do I vote?
The implications of this poll, in the unlikely event that there should ever be any of real significance, are in no way intended to have any influence on the range of choice of color shooters.

Old 03-19-2016   #8
xenohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojournerphoto View Post
I'd love to see a Fuji XP2 with a Mono sensor, but they tried it and concluded that the acros and Mono conversions were 'just as good'. Ultimately, there probably aren't enough people interested to make it worth their while.
The 'just as good' or 'good enough' argument is always there. Taken a small step further it leads to the conclusion that we should all be using iPhones (well, many people are).

One of the primary advantages of dedicated cameras is their ability to generate persuasive images in less than ideal light. A native monochrome camera significantly extends this advantage.

It seems odd that any manufacturer, let alone virtually an entire industry, would handicap a primary advantage so severely, particularly in the face of declining sales.

Old 03-19-2016   #9
Spanik

The Sigma doesn't have a Bayer filter, in a way it is a monochrome one. Just like in the film days you can have ortho or pan film, this is like a pan sensor. But it has other factors voting against it.

Old 03-19-2016   #10
xenohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
The Sigma doesn't have a Bayer filter, in a way it is a monochrome one. Just like in the film days you can have ortho or pan film, this is like a pan sensor. But it has other factors voting against it.
My hat is off to Sigma! Not least of which for the fact that they came out with a fixed lens camera w/ 75mm equiv focal length.

But the technical tour-de-force carried out to record color information at each pixel was not without trade-offs, as you suggest.

For me personally, I just don't want the color, and don't want the trade-offs.

Old 03-19-2016   #11
Stuart John

Well I voted for the fujis, I would like an x100 monochome but to be honest I'm happy to use SFXpro.

Canonet QL17, Canonet 28, Zorki C

Old 03-19-2016   #12
narsuitus

I prefer the black & white and infrared images from my Fuji .

I have configured my micro 4/3 Olympus to use as a dedicated black & white camera.

I voted for the Olympus.

Old 03-25-2016   #13
Cyriljay

I vote for Fuji :-)