Old 02-18-2016   #81
Vics

I never had any problems scanning my slide film on my V500. That said, I only post; never print.

My Flickr

Old 02-18-2016   #82
borge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Do you mean you regret using the Provia because it was tough to scan and didn't provide good results, or more generally that the particular photographs were more suited to negative emulsion?
Both. I had never really used E6 before, and learned the hard way that I really like the latitude of C41. Metering needs to be spot on with E6, and that's not always easy to achieve with E6 and a very contrasty scene (that there was many of during the trip).

Maybe it is my scanner, but for some reason C41 is a lot easier to achieve good results with than E6. I've only tried my Plustek 120 though, and not a flat bed. But from what I've read, dedicated film scanners should do better with E6 than flatbeds in general.

Old 02-18-2016   #83
Penceler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPhoto View Post
Clearly we have very different ideas of what constitutes aggression. Interesting that someone so sensitive has no issue with a bit of blatant passive-aggression though!

My apologies for bringing my opinions and humour to this thread. I didn't realise that you were literally only wanting to hear things you agree with.

I hope you get the permission to shoot a roll of film you are seeking. Let us know if you want approval to change your car or switch to a new blend of coffee!
Personally I liked the poll choices...

Old 02-18-2016   #84
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

What I can't cope with is the thought of people buying slide film to scan and print...

Slide film is for slides; put them in a projector and show them on the big screen. Nothing like it and even brilliant in B&W; although I do miss Agfa's Dia Direct.

Look for a Leica projector and lens and a glass bead screen and projector stand. That will cost a fraction of the cost of a decent scanner.

Regards, David

Old 02-18-2016   #85
Ronald M

Slide film is disappearing choices. K25 was my fav. The surviving choices are all high contrast, high color saturation catering to those who like that sort of thing.

When Kodachrome went away, I used Ektachrome 100 pro which was a film made for professional color accuracy reproduction.

My last was a Fuji 100 low color contrast pro film.

What is left is amateur garbage.

I can make a digital file do anything I need and change it after the fact. No need to run from store to store trying to find some arcane product. Don`t need to scan or develop.

If you want to project, spend the money on a GOOD projector. Or put the files on a thumb drive and and play on your television. They are beautiful. I have seen P&S jpegs on TV and they are wonderful. A good camera will be even better.

Did someone mention DR?
Old 02-18-2016   #86
rjstep3

Did someone mention DR?

I think someone was mentioning DR - this is about photos, not about arguing the toss over different formats, in my view at least.

Took this over my Xmas holiday in Sri Lanka:

It was in the Botanical Gardens in Kandy. Now, I know it has been scanned, which seems to get the ire of some, but:

- I could see this as B&W, and some clever work in the darkroom would do wonders with the background
- digital for this would be, somehow, clinical I think, I just don't like the pixel-perfect look
- a neg film would turn the background into a murky mess

So I like slide film - it has its quirks, but I like it. And I scan it, never project these days. Each to his own I suppose.

(This was Velvia 100 with a Contax G2 + 45mm lens).

For the OP: you ought to try, you don't know what you are missing. It's all in my sig below.

rjstep3

Old 02-18-2016   #87
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
About 1/3 of my freezer is full of Provia
How big is your freezer?

Old 02-18-2016   #88
rolfe

I'm not going to try to convince you because modern C41 films have more dynamic range and are basically better in every respect than the remaining E6 stuff. That wasn't true even 20 years ago.

Rolfe

Old 02-18-2016   #89
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
I'm not going to try to convince you because modern C41 films have more dynamic range and are basically better in every respect than the remaining E6 stuff. That wasn't true even 20 years ago.

Rolfe
Project your C-41 shots much, do you? How's that working out for you?

Old 02-18-2016   #90
teddy
Jose Morales

For me E6 or colour slide film provides a true colour of "the scene". And if colour corrected properly I think is gives me the result I like in Australian light. In Down Under the light is bright, in sunny days it can be harsh (particularly in summer) and I think slide film like Velvia does a super job at depicting the light. I don't have an expensive scanner but I'm happy with the colour representation, particularly the high contrast of Velvia and Provia. To me, digital doesn't have the realism of colour - but is far more practical.

I shoot digital colour, and for the stuff I really care about - I shoot E6.

Leica R5, Leitz Elmarit 60/2.8, Velvia 50, Warming Polarizer

Leica R5, Leitz Summicron 50/2 II, Velvia 50, Warming Polarizer

Rolleiflex Xenotar 75/3.5, Velvia 100

Old 02-18-2016   #91
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post

My last was a Fuji 100 low color contrast pro film.

What is left is amateur garbage.
Well, Okay then. Now I know what I am. I thought so, but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2016   #92
rolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Project your C-41 shots much, do you? How's that working out for you?
I actually don't know of anyone shooting E6 for projection. Most of those still shooting it just like the color rendition better, or feel that it scans better. It used to be shot commercially because it was better than the available color negative emulsions at the time and because of the way publications made color separations. Now, every publication is produced digitally, so whether you're shooting negative or reversal or digital, it all winds up as a digital file. Kodak's continued development is focused on motion picture film, and that development filters down to its remaining color negative products for still photography, namely Portra and Ektar. These use the latest technology and, I submit, are better than any remaining reversal emulsion in every category.

Rolfe

Old 02-18-2016   #93
Hatchetman

How many people just in this thread made reference to projecting images?

Old 02-18-2016   #94
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

How do these threads so frequently descend into animus?

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 02-18-2016   #95
Vics

I always liked the prints I had made from my slides better than projected from my Carousel projector, but what I love now is how my scans look on flickr. Pentax just announced the K1 full-frame DSLR at a nice price, but I can shoot my Pentax-M lenses in my 37-year-old K1000 full frame on Velvia, and I'm quite happy with the results.

My Flickr

Old 02-18-2016   #96
CMur12

People treat this as though it's a pragmatic discussion, which, of course, it's not. I've been shooting color slides/transparencies/positives for almost 45 years. I know how the medium behaves and I know what I'll get. I like the fact that I control the finished product in-camera. I like the tactility of film, and with color positive film you have the finished product without the extra step of producing a print (or equivalent). All you have to do is hold it up to the light.

A medium format transparency is much more striking on a lightbox than a 35mm transparency, due to scale. Even so, I have always stored my slides, both 35mm and 6x6cm, in clear archival plastic pages that fit into a three-ring binder (though I actually store them in an archival box). There is a certain impact from viewing a page of images on a lightbox and there is a whole aesthetic to how the images are arranged in each page.

If you plan to project medium format slides, you should probably mount them in anti-Newton ring (ANR) glass, to prevent popping and focus shifting during projection.

To the original poster, you've shot slides before, so you have some idea what it's about. Of course, the approach to exposure is a little different from that for color or B&W negatives. I expose for the highlights, often then underexposing 1/3 to 1/2 stop for a little more saturation/density. Overexposing color negative film up to a stop often works to your advantage. Overexposing color slide film will blow out the highlights and wash out the overall image. With color slide film, smaller changes in exposure make a big difference in the rendered image.

- Murray

Old 02-18-2016   #97
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
I actually don't know of anyone shooting E6 for projection. Most of those still shooting it just like the color rendition better, or feel that it scans better. It used to be shot commercially because it was better than the available color negative emulsions at the time and because of the way publications made color separations. Now, every publication is produced digitally, so whether you're shooting negative or reversal or digital, it all winds up as a digital file. Kodak's continued development is focused on motion picture film, and that development filters down to its remaining color negative products for still photography, namely Portra and Ektar. These use the latest technology and, I submit, are better than any remaining reversal emulsion in every category.

Rolfe
There have been a number of posts just in this thread by members who project their mounted transparencies. Just because you don't know anybody who does this, doesn't mean it no longer happens. No C-41 film looks good projected or viewed on a light box. You can dodge this point if you wish (highlighted, above, you've ignored it completely). Unless you're actually saying a colour neg is a more enjoyable viewing experience on a projection screen?

Old 02-19-2016   #98
brbo

I shoot slide film in the morning, high noon, evening and night. I've come back from trips where I only shot slide film and never felt I was missing anything. Never knew that slide film is virtually unusable today.

C-41 is awesome, too. Still, slide film has less "grain", excellent pushing ability (compared to C-41) and you don't have to guess what the original scene looked like.

I guess slide film is like shooting digital into .jpg (no raw). But instead of the utterly crappy jpg engines that go into today's digitals you get an AMAZING post-processing.

But today not many people value the benefits (it's bazillion ISO and 37EV dynamic range world out there), so slide film is going away.

Old 02-19-2016   #99
k__43
Registered Film User

I love slide - I shoot more C41 for latitude tho. But when you pick up a roll of MF slide film from the lab .. oh man, that feeling is special!
One thing that slide can actually do better than C41 & digital is red tone rendition in my opinion. I always have the feeling that strong red subjects seem isolated on C41 or weirdly saturated on digital.

Old 02-19-2016   #100
David Hughes
David Hughes

Exactly, I've been using slide film for about 55 to 60 years and use it to project my photo's on to a screen. If I want prints I buy negative film; strangely enough I buy B&W negative film for B&W prints and colour negative film for colour prints.

And before the thread is started elsewhere I'll add that I don't use colour negative film and a scanner to make B&W prints.

As for saturation, control it via the exposure same as we always have and should still be doing with digital.

It seems so straight forward and logical to me that I get baffled by these threads.

I don't see anything wrong in pointing out that there are simple easy ways of doing things that won't cost the earth and give the results needed. As I see it I'm being helpful...

Regards, David

PS And to help more, if you like the idea of making B&W slides look on Ilford's website and Leitz make excellent projectors with excellent lenses including flat and curved field ones...

Old 02-19-2016   #101
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by k__43 View Post
I love slide - I shoot more C41 for latitude tho. But when you pick up a roll of MF slide film from the lab .. oh man, that feeling is special!
One thing that slide can actually do better than C41 & digital is red tone rendition in my opinion. I always have the feeling that strong red subjects seem isolated on C41 or weirdly saturated on digital.
I'm with you on that digital red thing. I've got photos of flowers taken on a sunny day with a digital camera that look like one huge blob of red.

Old 02-19-2016   #102
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post

PS And to help more, if you like the idea of making B&W slides look on Ilford's website and Leitz make excellent projectors with excellent lenses including flat and curved field ones...
Thanks David. I've been having a look at projectors and the Leitz ones do look good. I wouldn't be projecting very far or on a large scale, so I don't think I'll need anything super high powered. A couple of medium format ones have caught my eye, but they are either very expensive or seem very old. Though I'm not sure whether that matters too much when it's basically just light shining through a slide? There's a very old Linhof 6x7 projector for sale down the road from me that looks pretty awesome

Old 02-19-2016   #103
css9450

Quote:
Though I'm not sure whether that matters too much when it's basically just light shining through a slide?
The screen matters too; as was mentioned earlier, a good glass-bead screen will really make your pictures appear brilliant.

I projected my slides on a flat painted white wall for years until getting a proper screen, and for the first time I saw what I'd been missing. It was beautiful!

Old 02-19-2016   #104
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Thanks David. I've been having a look at projectors and the Leitz ones do look good. I wouldn't be projecting very far or on a large scale, so I don't think I'll need anything super high powered. A couple of medium format ones have caught my eye, but they are either very expensive or seem very old. Though I'm not sure whether that matters too much when it's basically just light shining through a slide? There's a very old Linhof 6x7 projector for sale down the road from me that looks pretty awesome
Hi,

I can't fault their projectors; I've had mine since I got the CL decades ago and the only expense has been a bulb and that was last year and replaced from ebay. And I've travelled around with it a lot. Also Leitz slide magazines are fairly universal so no messing around moving the slides about.

And the first time you stand on a stage and see one of your slides about 8 or 10ft tall you'll be gob-smacked and forget what you were going to say to the audience...

B&W slides can be awesome too.

I don't know about the Linhof but on this forum someone will.

Regards, David

Slides
Old 02-19-2016   #105
waileong

Slides

Because a well exposed slide in the right light is a thing of beauty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0004b.jpg (161.9 KB, 25 views)

Old 02-19-2016   #106
Charlie Lemay

I stil teach color photography using slide film for several reasons. 85% of males have some form of color blindness according to scientists (admittedly most are minor issues), so having a positive to compare when you scan images and color correct is a plus for some. Digital bypasses this so that skill becomes more difficult to address. The rigor of getting the exposure is a plus, and tightens up students B&W chops as well. Reuse a professional lab and turnaround is becoming an issue, so I am debating dropping color photography as a whole course sand moving it to a section of the advanced curriculum.

Old 02-19-2016   #107
goamules

Whenever I shoot slide film, which I do infrequently, I have to say "wow" at some of the shots for their colors. From this summer in FL, Velvia 100, Summicron DR:

Old 02-19-2016   #108
DanskDynamit

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Mamiya 7 - Kodak e100vs

Old 02-19-2016   #109
brbo

I don't care if I loose shadows when I expose for highlights. I'd post-process this shot the same even if the recording medium had 50EV instead of 5...

Old 02-19-2016   #110
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Mamiya 7 - Kodak e100vs
I can only wonder what the real slide looks like

My newly acquired Mamiya 7ii sitting alongside my Pentax 6x7 are the reasons I started thinking about slide film in the first place. I looked at the big negatives and thought, "damn, imagine if these were slides..."

Old 02-19-2016   #111
rjstep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goamules View Post
Whenever I shoot slide film, which I do infrequently, I have to say "wow" at some of the shots for their colors. From this summer in FL, Velvia 100, Summicron DR:

Interesting though that the highlights in the sand have blown - this is the thing about slide film: absolutely drop-dead gorgeous colours, but forget the latitude.

You either have highlights or the lowlights, you can never have both with E6.

Still - beautiful colours, the blues and greens are amazing. That's why I love slides.

rjstep3

Old 02-19-2016   #112
Spanik

Quote:
I can only wonder what the real slide looks like

My newly acquired Mamiya 7ii sitting alongside my Pentax 6x7 are the reasons I started thinking about slide film in the first place. I looked at the big negatives and thought, "damn, imagine if these were slides..."
Why continueing to imagine how it would look like, get out and shoot a film of slides. See it with your own eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss
How big is your freezer?
Not big enough to my taste Got about 200 rolls of Provia 400X (and a bit of Velvia), Should keep me going another year or 4. Don't know what I will do when those are gone. I hope Ferrania delivers.

Old 02-19-2016   #113
Larry Cloetta

Haven't tried posting photos before, will see how this works.

Old 02-19-2016   #114
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post

Haven't tried posting photos before, will see how this works.
Not so well, it seems. Smugmug gallery link used.

Old 02-19-2016   #115
Larry Cloetta

Old 02-19-2016   #116
Larry Cloetta

https://cloetta.smugmug.com/Transparency-Film/

I give up. Seeing if the link to the gallery works.

Old 02-19-2016   #117
FujiLove

Quote:

Larry, those are outstanding. Which film did you use?

Old 02-19-2016   #118
FujiLove

Quote:

If you zoom in to the second one so you cut off the top of the mountains, it appears as though they are upside down and floating in the sky! Wowsers!

Old 02-19-2016   #119
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Larry, those are outstanding. Which film did you use?
These are Velvia 50. With a Pentax 67II. (First one is cropped square, but from the Pentax.)
Since these were downgraded from TIFF files to jpgs, and went from the larger scanned Adobe RGB color gamut, to the smaller sRGB gamut to go on Smugmug, they lose something. Since the Adobe RGB gamut is less than the full natural color gamut on the actual slide, something is lost there as well.
But, with projection, it's all there, and it's a lot more impressive than it looks on a monitor.

Old 02-21-2016   #120
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:

HI,

When they changed from old to new smugmug I had problems then I realised that the system worked if I was logged in when I clicked on the share, or whatever it is, icon.

Regards, David