Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

View Poll Results: Which option do you consider better for your shooting, and why?
I get the most with one camera / one lens... 131 60.37%
I have felt "more is more" and I can use well more than one camera / one lens... 86 39.63%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2015   #81
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Medium tele for portraits. Normal… or medium wide for general use.

And, then, specific lenses for specific use. Birds, flowers, max DOF, max bokeh, each requires something special lens-wise.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 07-14-2015   #82
Bill Clark

When I was hired for a wedding, 95% of photographs I made were with the Canon 24-70 f 2.8 lens. I used a full frame Canon Mark camera. I used a reflector for natures light and I had a Quantum flash system with Pocket Wizards. I did have backup stuff but never had to use it. I had other lenses but I also had an associate photographer at every gig and she sometimes would use some of it.

Now I use 50mm lenses 95% of the time.

Works for me.

Old 07-14-2015   #83
FrankS

If less is more, imagine how much more more is.

I just don't carry all of it at once.

photography makes me happy

Old 07-14-2015   #84
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
If less is more, imagine how much more more is.

I just don't carry all of it at once.
More is a lot. I cannot even imagine carrying my Canon film or Digital systems with me, even though I only own 4 lenses.

When I want to go light (with film) I like my little Nikon S2. Hard to beat IMO, I have taken a lot of great photos with it, even took it with me into basic training!

Old 07-14-2015   #85
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Year after posting it here...yes, less is absolutely more in terms of real results in photography to me now.

Wasted a lot of time and little bit of money by buying and trying to feed my curiosity about gear and how different lenses on different formats rendering.
Tryouts didn't significantly increased amount of keepers on pictures side. Somehow my first camera to have keepers still gives keepers and it is pleasure to operate.

I think this multiple gear experience was necessary to me for technical and creative reasons.
I have tried many things from plastic 135 panoramic Diana to metal 4x5 Calumet.
It helped to determine what I want and like to use.

It feels great twice. Once after you getting it and second time after you are getting rid of it.

Old 07-14-2015   #86
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post

I think this multiple gear experience was necessary to me for technical and creative reasons.
Everyone seems to go through it.

But the only film camera I really love is the one I bought in 1965 from a vet who brought it home and just never used it, my S2.

I do have a Canon SLR film body, but really never use it.

Old 07-14-2015   #87
FrankS

There's a bit of a definition inconsistency here. Is it meant to mean how much gear do you own and use at various times, or how much gear do you go out for a walk with at one time?

photography makes me happy

Old 07-14-2015   #88
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It is linked in my case.
I don't own cameras for display only. All of cameras I posses must be in use. And because here is always not enough time, light and opportunities I'm ending up with the taker and the else.
The Taker is one, two cameras I have and they are good enough for me to use them with pleasure as only camera at particular day and get keepers.
The Else are these cameras I want to try, need to check if it still works or how it works after CLA. As result, my time is splitted between practicing in photography and gear testing shots.
I could use these test shots to brag about sharpness, details and such on forums and gain expert acknowledge with it, but I'm finding it to be not related with photography I'm after

Old 07-14-2015   #89
B-9
Devin Bro

Leica Summar, less is better.

The camera may change, the lens stays the same for me.

Although, I'm thinking of a Summaron with goggles just becuase... Lol

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 07-14-2015   #90
JChrome
Street Worker

I think we are talking about street or travel photography right?

For that, it's one camera, one lens.

For my LF work, each new scene should have a specific focal length tailored to it, rather than looking for a good shot with a specific focal length.

Old 07-14-2015   #91
giganova

1 camera, 1 lens, b&w film only. Minimal gear + maximum creativity!

Old 07-14-2015   #92
Tompas
Wannabe KŁnstler

2 cameras, 2 lenses.

For street photography, MD-2 with Snapshot Skopar 4/25mm and M6 with Summicron-C 2/40. BW400CN in both.

For landscape or cityscape, 2 Bessa T with Superwide Heliar 4,5/15mm and Elmar-C 4/90mm.

Old 07-14-2015   #93
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko View Post
Here's mine:

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/201...no-1222-frank/

Pretty much the same since the 1960's. I don't ever remember feeling limited by this.
Hello Bag # 1222. I am bag # 1221

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/201...remy-krumsick/

I like how you've been 'honest' with your bag.

So many of the bags posted are just some collectors showing off their gear. There's no way they carry all that stuff.

Old 07-14-2015   #94
Vics

Having cut my travel kit down to 1 camera, 1 lens, I'm now dispensing with the meter and the bag. I'll just carry the M3 with W-Nikkor 35mm 2.5 and a spare roll of Tri-X in my pocket. It's enough, already.

My Flickr

Old 07-14-2015   #95
Iestrada

Leica film camera with a 35mm most often, with a 50mm as well sometimes and a Fuji EX-1 as a back up always.

My brain is a minimalist but it often betrays me and the "more is more" logic is too logical to ignore.

Old 07-14-2015   #96
Charlie Lemay

I have always seen this as a false dichotomy. Having a love of gear doesn't mean you can't be a good photographer. The more gear I had, the more I was driven to use it. The more I use it the better I become at achieving what I achieve. I use mostly film gear and pre computer designed lenses. They all have different personalities. I bout a Rolleiflex and a Rollei 35s just to be able to get out of taking my rangefinders and SLRs for granted. There is an wisdom saying that goes something like - the enemy of creativity is freedom. This may be true for some, but not all.

Old 07-14-2015   #97
uhoh7

less is more.....

Well you try alot of stuff then find out what works and concentrate on that, sell the rest..when you have the time.

less is lighter, so you will take the thing with you.

less is relative.....when I am out there, backcountry, the frames vary. UWA very nice to have. Also long glass is nice too. Lots of details for the long stuff.

So sometimes a little more is less. Less trips to a unique spot, not easy to reach. More trips to other spots.

Old 07-14-2015   #98
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

My basic all-around kit is one rangefinder body with a 35mm and 50mm lens. That will cover 95% of my lens needs.

If I am traveling, I will take my other two rangefinder lenses with me (21mm and 90mm). If I am just going about my business and am not specifically heading out to make photographs, I will carry my RF body with a 35mm lens attached for unexpected opportunities that may pop up.

Old 07-15-2015   #99
thirtyfivefifty
Noctilust survivor

My 35mm is nothing like my 50mm and neither one is like my 85mm. Just like how zooms are different from prime lenses and specialty lenses. I just have to think about my situation, predict what opportunities may come about, select which lens or lenses will maximize my experience, and hope that I'm right.

Old 04-04-2019   #100
bideford

Three choices depending on circumstances/how I feel (in order of most commonly used):

Digital - Fuji X100 (and several batteries) - Travel and walking. Light and convenient.

35mm film - Minolta CLE and 40mm Rokkor - Evening/social use (HP5 often pushed to 800/1600 - so much nicer/enjoyable than high iso digital).

MF - Agfa Super Isolette - When I feel "arty" and not too compelled to photograph. Folded it is more convenient to carry than both of the above (and MF!).

James

Context?
Old 04-04-2019   #101
Tom R

Context?

I suspect that the adage "less is more" is commonly used in the context of aesthetic choices, such as composition.

That being said, limiting one's choices is one way of helping many explore, for themselves, the truth of the original statement. Still, it's certainly possible to have many options at hand but have the discipline to apply the principle, which is why attempting to apply that principle in the context of "gear" might be somewhat confusing.

Old 04-04-2019   #102
kuuan
loves old lenses

right now that's fluctuating

recently I had got a tiny kind of P&S, incl. zoom and all ( Sony RX100iii ) and first I was enchanted how easy it all was.
A few weeks on I noticed that I have been shooting much less lately. Using a manual lens or two I take more photos, find the whole process more interesting and enjoyable.
My most common is carrying 2 lenses, sometimes 3. Focal lengths depending on situation, most commonly, if on APS-C, a 15mm and a 40mm ( Heliar f4.5/15mm + Pen-F 1.4/40 or M-Rokkor f2/40mm )

Old 04-04-2019   #103
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

I tend to think that obsessions with "one camera, one lens," where not driven by necessity, tends to be a sign of what Tom Wolfe would have called "sclerosis."

Personally, I find that 90% of my pictures are taken with one camera and one of three lenses. But sometimes you need to pull a reverse Maslow: a new type of equipment sometimes makes you rethink old problems in new and more creative ways.

The other thing that people don't want to talk about is that your skills may hit a plateau, and once you're there, the artificial discipline of limiting what you use isn't helping you "concentrate on technique" any more. It's just limiting what you will do with your now-developed skill set.

Dante

Old 04-04-2019   #104
Dogman

I only use one camera and one lens...at a time. But I usually have available as many as three cameras, each with lenses attached.

Old 04-04-2019   #105
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
The other thing that people don't want to talk about is that your skills may hit a plateau, and once you're there, the artificial discipline of limiting what you use isn't helping you "concentrate on technique" any more. It's just limiting what you will do with your now-developed skill set.

Dante

Alternatively it can drive you to develop or discover a new skill set.
Or, it can let you interact with your subject without thinking about either gear or technique.

Iím a one lens one camera sort of person. I like the challenge and the opportunities it creates. I donít particularly like every sort of photography. And I donít have to. I couldnít give two hoots about telephoto landscapes or macro or razor this focus portraits. I like what I do, and having the most minimal amount of gear that allows me to do that is all I need. For me, thatís one camera with one lens. For others itís different.

Old 04-04-2019   #106
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfunnell View Post
I tend to ask myself "what's the point of an interchangeable lens camera if I never change lenses?" Especially when a change in angle of view, perhaps to explore different subject matter, seems desirable after shooting with one lens for a while.

...Mike

Because no one currently makes a fixed lens camera with a 1.4/50mm. Or a 1.4/35. Or anything thatís not a 2/35 or 1.7/28 or 2.8/28. Or a rangefinder. Or with TTL viewing. Or with whatever feature you might like.

There is no rule that says how often the lens has to be interchanged. Actually, instead of thinking about an interchangeable lens and camera, think of it as buying a camera and lens seperately. You chose the camera, you choose the lens, you put them together, and youíre done.

(I know this is an old comment, but it comes up all the time so Iím going to reply anyway)

Old 04-04-2019   #107
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

The answer to the question is different for everyone.

This is my experience. Strange to say, the more gear I have the less interesting my pictures. The reason for this, I think, is that I tend to use particular lenses for their "traditional" uses, and my pictures look like "the sort of pictures" one is supposed to take with "that sort of lens." I used to have a veritable wall of gear, a lens and camera for every occasion. But all my pictures looked exactly like the sort of pictures one would expect from the respective lenses being used. On the one hand, this is exactly the scenario some photographers want -- predictable kinds of pictures in predictable circumstances. For me, this is boring and distracting, and plagues my pictures with a kind of virus of clichť viewpoints.

Old 04-04-2019   #108
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Camera & 3.5cm on a strap. Roll of film in one pocket, light meter in the shirt pocket with a pen, wallet in the back pocket, keys in the other. Any more than that and I'm overloaded and confused.

Old 04-04-2019   #109
CharlesDAMorgan

I'm very fond of more is more if someone else is carrying the equipment, otherwise nowadays the most I carry is a pinhole, film backs, tripod and SLR with two of 35, 50 and short tele.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 04-04-2019   #110
blan01

Less is more, I never had more than three lenses at home, and usually only bring one lens when I am out shooting.

Old 04-04-2019   #111
creenus

I own lots of gear, rangefinder and DSLR, all used. But I carry an M2 and a 50 Summicron Version III in my briefcase every day. No meter, but I use the same film so I have gotten halfway decent at getting a usable exposure. Minimalism, gear-wise, has its advantages. It's also nice having choices, but I have also realized that I need to shed some gear.

When traveling, I usually take too many cameras and bodies. I do need to whittle it down a bit.

For me, it's a balancing act that keeps wobbling back and forth.

Old 04-04-2019   #112
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bideford View Post
Digital - Fuji X100 (and several batteries) - Travel and walking. Light and convenient.

35mm film - Minolta CLE and 40mm Rokkor - Evening/social use (HP5 often pushed to 800/1600 - so much nicer/enjoyable than high iso digital).
Nice. The CLE+40 Rokkor is my main camera for what I think of as my "real" stuff, day or night. It's good enough for almost anything I will ever need, except it was an expensive investment for me and isn't replaceable so...

Instead of your X100 I have a GR-ii, which I carry to clubs, bars, rainy weather, etc., where the CLE could get damaged. I struggle to make the GR files look as good as my film stuff and so not many of my Flickr stream is GR anymore (the palette and tones kind of clash with my portra pics and I can never quite fix that), but here and there it gets a special pic for me.

I will only carry one of them at any time.

Old 04-04-2019   #113
Mcary

My answers is it depends. Right now I use my M9 and 28mm Cron for 80-90% of what I shoot, but I will often also carry my 50mm Lux for street/candid portraits or when I want to control DOF. As far as other gear goes last weekend I went out with just the M9 and a 3.5cm f/3.5 Summaron and while at certain times I did wish I had my 28 and 50 with me I worked around the issues and managed to get some shots that I really liked.

Old 04-04-2019   #114
giganova

One body, one lens. That doesn't mean that you can't have multiple cameras and multiple lenses. But when I go out to shoot, I pick one body and one lens that gets me into the right state of mind to shoot with that lens. When I go out with a 21mm lens, for example, I specifically look for things that will suit that lens and have that focal lens already in my mind when I look for interesting subjects and "see" everything in my mind in 21mm. I find that approach very liberating and leads to better pictures because there is no other gear to distract me and I can react much faster.

Example: two years ago I went to Argentina with an M4 and a 21mm lens and took great photos of landscapes, cityscapes, parks, etc. The following year I went to Argentina again, but this time with an M4 and a 50mm lens. With that setup, I looked specifically for interesting people and faces. So all day for almost two weeks, I focused on the fascinating people and wasn't distracted by looking for other subjects for which I would have to change lenses, filters, etc. And because I only had one camera on my wrist strap at all times, I was always ready to shoot within seconds notice. That approach works really well for me.

Old 04-04-2019   #115
skopar steve

Most of the time it's one body and three lenses for me. Though often one lens may be all I use in an outing.

Old 04-04-2019   #116
robert blu
quiet photographer

I think the correct answer should be it depends...
At my age I like to go with one camera one lens. Sometimes when traveling I have two lenses but usually one stay in the safe of the hotel for the day. Maybe next day I'll exchange the two lenses. But I find very liberating to have one camera one lens.
For the next summer road trip I'm planning to bring one leica with one lens, perhaps another lens in the pocket and the Polaroid SX70 to make some postcards to send to friends...
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 04-04-2019   #117
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
One body, one lens. That doesn't mean that you can't have multiple cameras and multiple lenses. But when I go out to shoot, I pick one body and one lens that gets me into the right state of mind to shoot with that lens. When I go out with a 21mm lens, for example, I specifically look for things that will suit that lens and have that focal lens already in my mind when I look for interesting subjects and "see" everything in my mind in 21mm. I find that approach very liberating and leads to better pictures because there is no other gear to distract me and I can react much faster.
Exactly, same for me.

Old 04-04-2019   #118
Rick Waldroup

For my documentary work I use two Nikon bodies with zooms.

For my personal work I use a Nikon Df with 28, 50, and 85mm primes.

If I really want to travel light, I carry nothing but a Nikon Coolpix A.

Old 04-04-2019   #119
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

All things in moderation. Carrying only one lens is to go to one extreme. A dozen lenses, that's the other extreme. Three or four lenses, that's probably about optimum.

Old 04-04-2019   #120
zuiko85

One lens, one camera. Sounds great but. Most all my pootography (not a misspelling) takes place in my head first. Then I'll pick out what I think I need and revisit the location to see if I can actually make a picture. Sometimes it works.