Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

EUROMEET 2014, preliminary discussions
Old 02-03-2014   #1
MartinP

Arrow EUROMEET 2014, preliminary discussions

Hallo RFF'rs, I was wondering about Euromeet-2014 and noticed I was not the only one, so . . . shall we do some thinking about meeting up this year? I don't want to monopolise discussion but I suppose there are three things to consider, the second two depend on the first of course.

Is there any interest for a Euromeet in 2014?

If applicable, where might we visit (and why)?
This year it is possible that Kiev or Beirut might be a little too 'hot' for consideration.

If applicable, when might we choose (and why)?
The last few years (all?) meets have been in the Spring, but that can change if people prefer a different period.

Previous formats have been for a weekend visit to an interesting city, which many people extend for a day or so before and/or after the group meet-up. The discussion thread from last year can be found at this link. If the Euromeet idea is interesting to anyone then we should be able to notice that fairly soon, decide on some options in a preference poll, and buy some tickets.

Old 02-03-2014   #2
Vobluda

I would propose (random order):
- Hamburg
- Lubeck, Rostock or Gdansk
- nordic country - Finland, Norway or Sweden
- baltic country - Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania
- St. Petersbourg

Old 02-03-2014   #3
P3tr
Only MacHan in CE

Copenhagen
+1 on Vobludas choice

Old 02-03-2014   #4
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobluda View Post
I would propose (random order):
- Hamburg
- Lubeck, Rostock or Gdansk
- nordic country - Finland, Norway or Sweden
- baltic country - Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania
- St. Petersbourg
Good thinking! I do like some of these choices, particularly Gdańsk, the Nordic countries and the Baltic countries. Since I'm about to move to a new flat and there's building work to attend to I would not be able to come to a EuroMeet before May. July & August (particularly August) are the best months for me and (if these months suit others) preferably somewhere that's not too hot.

Loved last year's EuroMeet in Prague by the way

Lawrence

Old 02-03-2014   #5
kennylovrin

Copenhagen could be fresh, or, well, very close for me.

Old 02-03-2014   #6
bonatto
looking out

I'll come to a Copenhagen or northern Germany meetup

Old 02-03-2014   #7
santino
eXpect me

Gdansk sounds especially good to me, it's where the solidarnosc movement started to exist.

Old 02-03-2014   #8
Michiel Fokkema
Michiel Fokkema

I'm very interested but also very busy. If I have the weekend off I'll certainly join.
Any city is okay with me though I'm not very fond of Amsterdam.

Old 02-03-2014   #9
jippiejee

All these northern european cities are so similar with same flintstones background loop... would prefer something with a bit more ottoman flavour, like Sarajevo... made it to the NYT top-10 hot cities list this year. Just like Rotterdam btw...
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 02-03-2014   #10
Bruno Gracia

Norway, Finland or Sweeden Would be lovely, even Iceland.

Old 02-03-2014   #11
erikhaugsby
killer of threads

The Baltic states interest me - and Riga, Latvia is supposed to be pretty pretty. But does that mean it's good for photography?

Old 02-03-2014   #12
jane7l

really loved the prague meeting and was just thinking about it the other day. martin, i think there is a lot of interest

Old 02-03-2014   #13
pobe

With two small kids I'd love it if this happened somewhere close to me (Sweden). Then I actually might be able to join. My photo club has a really nice darkroom in Uppsala

Old 02-03-2014   #14
user237428934
User deletion pending

Some good ideas for northern europe. Sarajevo would be nice too, I still don't know why we deleted it from the list last year. Tallinn maybe?

Walking in a city in the summer months? Hm....

I attended the last two meetings in Istanbul and Prague. Both were exceptionally good because some locals took care of us and showed us nice places for photos, food and beer. Of course we can have a meeting without locals but I think it's much better if there is a person with some ideas.

Any idea, why so many people came to Istanbul but not to Prague? Was it only the date or was Prague not exotic enough?

Old 02-04-2014   #15
Vobluda

Cheers Tom.
Maybe the badges scared the people off from Prague?

Old 02-04-2014   #16
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Cheers Tom.
Maybe the badges scared the people off from Prague?
THE badge. Oh yes. After I came back home THE badege brought up a question and a strange look when my daughter saw it

Old 02-04-2014   #17
jane7l

he he, my friends all wanted to have them

Old 02-04-2014   #18
MartinP

So it seems the Eastern Baltic states might be interesting, perhaps because they are not 'standard' tourist destinations? Thinking of more Southern locations too, and in no particular order . . .

Latvia - Riga, I don't know much about the capital city, except what I've seen in the photographs of Inta Ruka.

Portugal - Lisbon, more sunshine than the Baltic countries. Widely said to be very attractive.

Bosnia - Sarajevo, city at the crossroads, in many different ways.

Belgium - Brussels/Antwerp, solid European cities.

France - Arles, gorgeous, historic, cultural. Almost on the Mediterranean. Town of the Rencontres.

Norway - Bergen, Hanseatic port, world heritage city. The only place where I have seen umbrella vending-machines in the railway station . . .

Finland - Rovaniemi, visit the Arctic. Capital of Lapland. Perhaps too far away from everywhere.

Malta - various towns, ancient, invaded, historic.

Ideas from last year: Bucharest, Amsterdam, Tbilisi, St.Petersburg, Dublin or Cork, Vienna, etc. etc.

When?? Spring again? Easter is the third week of April, so I suppose we avoid that at least.

Old 02-04-2014   #19
Vobluda

PM me quantity and your address

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane7l View Post
he he, my friends all wanted to have them

Old 02-04-2014   #20
Matus

I would propose anywhere and anytime my wife (and our 10 weeks old daughter) would let me go ... what about our local groceries?

Have fun guys wherever you decide to go!
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 02-04-2014   #21
jane7l

Quote:
PM me quantity and your address
thanks, but i wanted to keep it for participants only and was not willing to share

Old 02-04-2014   #22
Bruno Gracia

uuuh I think Bosnia - Sarajevo is much more interesting nowadays...

Old 02-05-2014   #23
Vobluda

Belgrade is much much more interesting then Sarajevo.

Old 02-05-2014   #24
JMQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhaugsby View Post
The Baltic states interest me - and Riga, Latvia is supposed to be pretty pretty. But does that mean it's good for photography?
Riga is the birthplace of the Minox.

Old 02-06-2014   #25
MartinP

Bump . . .

Shall I try messaging everyone who has expressed an interest in Euromeets for the last few years, as I did last year? Five people is not much interest, although it's just the first few days of course.

Old 02-06-2014   #26
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
Bump . . .

Shall I try messaging everyone who has expressed an interest in Euromeets for the last few years, as I did last year? Five people is not much interest, although it's just the first few days of course.
Yes, maybe we need a wakeup call

But I personally think it's better to have 10 people participating in the date and place discussion when those people are all coming, instead of 50 people setting a compromise for date and place and only 10 people are coming.

Last edited by user237428934 : 02-06-2014 at 08:10. Reason: content error

Old 02-06-2014   #27
sooner

I'm very interested. Went to one in Paris in spring of 2007 and had a great time, and am now in Frankfurt so I can go pretty much anywhere. I am especially interested in former Yugoslavia (how about Croatia?) or Baltic states. But you're right, having a local host to show us the spots is a really good idea.

Old 02-07-2014   #28
jane7l

kind locals to guide us will probably be everywhere.
i love sarajevo but according to the recent clashes and riots bosnia is more suitable for the war photographers...
lisbon was high last year as well. never been there, maybe a good choice? but same here for baltic countries... lets just go and meet somewhere, it will be fun and nice anywhere.
anxiously waiting
janko

Last edited by jane7l : 02-07-2014 at 14:41. Reason: gramar

Old 02-07-2014   #29
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

also beer

Old 02-10-2014   #30
kossi008
Photon Counter

I'm interested. Had a great time in Prague last year.
Just so you won't complain about no feedback...

Where? Can't make up my mind, all of the suggested places sound really interesting, and I haven't been to any of them...

Old 02-15-2014   #31
Matus

I know that I am not coming (would love to) - but would like to throw Valenica in the pool - I have been there few years ago for a wedding and had a chance to walk through the city. It has wonderful atmosphere and offers everything from narrow old streets to modern city of arts (looks great in the night).

Just FYI
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 02-15-2014   #32
Kent
Finally at home...

IMHO any "central" European country would make sense: Belgium, Netherlands, Germany (Berlin?), Austria (Salzburg?), Luxemburg, southern parts of Denmark, eastern parts of France (Strassbourg?), western parts of Poland...

Make it as central as possible and it will be easier for more to come.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 02-15-2014   #33
Peter Wijninga

I'd go for a central European town/country that can be reached easily and at a low cost. It should have cheap and abundant hotel options all across the spectrum. Good food a plus. It should have 'photo potential' and be easily navigated by public transportation. Has anyone mentioned Budapest?

Old 02-15-2014   #34
kully
Happy Snapper

Have a good one dudes, I can't make it this year.

Old 02-15-2014   #35
MartinP

I just sent a message to those who have expressed an interest over the last few years. My apologies if that got to those who have already participated in this thread - my patience with mailing list manipulation is limited, sorry.

It occurs to me that we are sure to find an interesting destination between us, but that a bigger limit on participation may be the weekend we choose for the trip. Are there any holidays/school-breaks/revolutions scheduled which we need to take in to account???

Old 02-15-2014   #36
jane7l

yes, let's focus on the date and fix it asap. choosing the destination will be easier i guess. maybe may/june is a good start (as lawrence stated)?
may 10/11 (not really good for me)
may 17/18 ideal
may 24/25 (no can do)
may 31/june 1 ideal
june 7/8 ideal
june 14/15?
lets gather some suggestions and see where this goes.
can't wait to meet again!
janko

Old 02-15-2014   #37
MartinP

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the weekend of 31/5 - 1/6 will be a long holiday weekend for those countries where Ascension Day (29/5) is a public holiday. This might be good or bad, depending . . .

And most likely an early date, in the first half of April for example, is no longer possible as we are a few weeks later this year than last.

Old 02-15-2014   #38
jippiejee

The problem with public holidays is that everything (tickets, accomodation) gets more expensive and more difficult to book with less choice. I'd prefer a regular weekend in April or May.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 02-15-2014   #39
Ron (Netherlands)

Thanks for the wake up call MartinP, really appreciate it.
However this year I'll go with some friends to visit one or more of the cities in Belgium and France commemorating WWI - planning to shoot the visits with some old 6x6 and 6x9 cams.
My first visit will be to the Belgium city of Ieper in May. Might be also an idea for fellow members here.
In order to get 'prepared' I'm currently reading The Sleepwalkers:

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, 2x Rolleicord Vb, 2x Rolleiflex 3.5F white face, Rolleiflex 2.8A, 5x ICA Tropica

My Flickr

Old 02-15-2014   #40
MartinP

Ron, over the weekend of Hemelvaart (Ascension Day) there is a 110km walk around Ieper. I may be doing that again this year, depending on the dates for the Euromeet. Most weekends in May or June would be alright, with sufficient notice.

Indeed, a Belgian city might not be a bad destination for the Euromeet itself - Brussels, Antwerp, Bruges (too 'pretty'?), even Ieper (though not the 110km).

The Rencontres d'Arles is the second week of July this year, so probably too late, and too far from everywhere even if I do highly recommend a visit.

Budapest, Bucharest, Riga, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Maastricht, Gdansk, Hamburg, etc. etc.