2014 M2 prices
Old 02-13-2014   #1
lrochfort

2014 M2 prices

Hello all,

I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy an M2. My first Leica!

What do people think is a fair price for a user body? I live in the UK in Berkshire near London, but have Family near San Jose, CA, so could buy in either location.

Is a CLA worthwhile? Is it more economical to buy a body already CLA'd or should I pay for one myself?

Thanks all!

Old 02-14-2014   #2
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

I can't tell you about prices since they all vary.

Go on ebay and you might just find one with a Summicron on it for a pittance* and it might be perfect or else you might get the opposite and a complete overhaul etc will cost hundreds.

Or go to a dealer and get one with a guarantee. Glancing quickly the other day I've seen dealers offering M4's for £500 ish and M2's for a little less but you get a guarantee. What you spend on a lens depends on how rich you are: from a fiver for a J-8 to thousands for the latest from Solms...

As for automatically getting them repaired etc I'd suggest a couple of rolls of film as a good test, or ask a technician to check the camera and advise you. Getting them done for no reason is daft and will cost a fortune and might make things worse.

Regards, David

* There was one on ebay a while ago as I remember thinking I could have bought it and sold the body alone to get most of my money back and won a nice lens for a real pittance; assuming the seller was telling the truth...

Old 02-14-2014   #3
k__43
Registered Film User

Buy a body that says fully working in the description with at least a 14 days return policy so you can try all shutter times, the RF accuracy and the transport.
Don't sweat all that has-to-have-a-CLA nonsense: "Don't fix it if it's not broken"

I bought my recent M6 from a Leica store .. maybe 200 euros more than on the "free" market but thats less than a CLA and it came with a 1 year warranty. My M2 had cost me less than 300 euros but needed CLA cos one shutter time was off and the curtain looked quite poor (I still used it for over a year before the CLA tho)

Old 02-14-2014   #4
lrochfort

Thanks for the advice, David.

I'm pretty nervous about eBay, unless anybody can recommend a seller?

I'm actually upgrading from FSU kit, so have several lenses that I'll use. They're more than good enough for me right now.

Part of me is tempted by the M4, but probably only because of the automatic frame counter.

From what I've gleaned the M2 has a cleaner viewfinder and I think that if I can stop being a tart about the frame counter it's really all the camera I need.

Old 02-14-2014   #5
lrochfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by k__43 View Post
Buy a body that says fully working in the description with at least a 14 days return policy so you can try all shutter times, the RF accuracy and the transport. Don't sweat all that has-to-have-a-CLA nonsense: "Don't fix it if it's not broken" I bought my recent M6 from a Leica store .. maybe 200 euros more than on the "free" market but thats less than a CLA and it came with a 1 year warranty. My M2 had cost me less than 300 euros but needed CLA cos one shutter time was off and the curtain looked quite poor (I still used it for over a year before the CLA tho)
Good ebay advice, thanks!

Old 02-14-2014   #6
Sparrow

... I had good experiences at Red Dot ... and you could see them in the flesh

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 02-14-2014   #7
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

I would buy an M2 either from the Classifieds here
Or 'Tamarkin' camera....Dan Tamarkin has a number of M2's right now in varying price ranges & conditions
www.tamarkin.com

If your stopping in CA , Dan can ship from Chicago to your Hotel or residence
(takes a day or two)

Old 02-14-2014   #8
jippiejee

The shop down my street offers a nice clean M2 for €500 right now...
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 02-14-2014   #9
Tono10

Ffordes has many for under 500€...

Old 02-14-2014   #10
TennesseJones

These guys in Central London are terrific.

www.apertureuk.com/index.html

Old 02-14-2014   #11
jarski

ebay.de - best prices in Europe IMO (though not all ship outside Germany).

Old 02-14-2014   #12
xia_ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
I would buy an M2 either from the Classifieds here
Or 'Tamarkin' camera....Dan Tamarkin has a number of M2's right now in varying price ranges & conditions
www.tamarkin.com

If your stopping in CA , Dan can ship from Chicago to your Hotel or residence
(takes a day or two)
+1 for Tamarkin. I just picked up one of their VG M2's about 2 weeks ago and it is a great shooter. It has a few more bumps and bruises in the chrome than normal, but came CLA'd, the vulcanite was replaced, and the rangefinder is perfectly bright, contrasty, and aligned. Plus, it comes with a 6 month warranty. If you want a camera to shoot with and not display on a shelf, their M2 VG's are hard to beat from what I have seen around. Not sure about the UK though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (53.9 KB, 10 views)

Old 02-14-2014   #13
cidereye
Film Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseJones View Post
These guys in Central London are terrific.

www.apertureuk.com/index.html
Indeed they are, and unlike most other UK dealers provide a 12 month guarantee on ALL Leica film gear.

They also have their own in-store repair guru at their Rathbone Place Leica store so if something does happen then it will get fixed quickly. That said they are very thorough when checking over gear before they sell anyway.

I've bought & traded in loads of gear with them over the years and never had a problem, very fair too. That said Red Dot, Richard Caplan also offer first class service for anything Leica in London. And both Ivor & Richard know their stuff better than pretty much anyone.

Old 02-14-2014   #14
k__43
Registered Film User

I wouldn't advice buying from another country's ebay site (i.e. Germany) if you aren't the gambling type. A friend bought a M4-2 from a camera shop over ebay here and the RF mechanism lacked the horizontal adjustment screw (thus being totally off) - he could return the camera, but for you being in the UK that would be more difficult (shipping to Germany etc.)
Follow the advice and go to a store next to you and support your local businesses. Ebay with return or local pickup at least. As I said my M2 was a lemon but I was not paying much and willing to live with sub-optimal

Old 02-14-2014   #15
nobbylon

I've bought quite a few M's over the past 6 years and prices for user or above M2's seem stable and my cut off point is £400, €475 or $650 for a working fully functional camera. Same for M3's and 4's. Sure you will see ads for way more than this and indeed the last one I sold was for €675 but that was for basically a mint- including box, fully working but no cla.
If it's working properly then a cla isn't necessary, it's nice if it's done but doesn't increase value by much.
I've just bought another M2 and an M3 recently, both from here so my prices are accurate.
The main thing that any M needs and it is especially relevant for these older cameras is a good, clear and clearly visible secondary r/f patch. I've seen loads of faded ones and they are next to useless and very costly to repair.
It should be your first question to seller. Everything else including curtains can be done reasonably but a crappy r/f is exactly that and needs to be left alone.
The absolute best place to buy if you can't physically inspect it is here from the membership as you can ask questions and get knowledgeable answers. I've never had a major problem buying gear from our members.
If you are patient then one will turn up at the above prices but you'll need to be quick!

Old 02-14-2014   #16
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Seems like M2s come up for sale here pretty frequently, and at very attractive prices. I'd start here, frankly -- people are honest in their descriptions and very honorable to deal with.

Old 02-14-2014   #17
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
Seems like M2s come up for sale here pretty frequently, and at very attractive prices. I'd start here, frankly -- people are honest in their descriptions and very honorable to deal with.
... if the OP can avoid UKRC, clearing and courier charges ... as they are less easy to deal with

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff