Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

Old 01-10-2014   #1521
reaperman

Got me a copy of "Ametsuchi" by Rinko Kawauchi. So beautiful!

Old 01-10-2014   #1522
Tijmendal
Young photog

Bought a copy of Magnum Contact Sheets. Have been wanting that book for a long time. I also pre-ordered Parke's Minutes to Midnight at two different places. I'm absolutely in love with Parke's work.

Old 01-10-2014   #1523
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.w View Post
I would dearly like a copy of Dream/life, but not at current prices.

Recently bought:

Eggleston - Los Alamos
Szarkowski's Atget book
Shoot: Photography of the Moment
A Useful Dream: African Photography 1960-2010
Szarkowski's Atget book is one of the best books on a photographer, ever. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 01-10-2014   #1524
Texsport

"Sports Photography: From Snapshots To Great Shots"

Bill Frakes

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 01-10-2014   #1525
biomed

The Practice of Contemplative Photography
Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes

Andy Karr and Michael Wood

2019 Photos

rff Gallery

Blog

Old 01-11-2014   #1526
FalseDigital
krapow moo khai dow

Goodbye Bangkok - Surat Osathanugrah
This book was given to me by his printer/apprentice. Sadly the photographer is no longer alive but he's known as one of Thailand's first street photographers.

Modern Times - Patrick Tsai (signed)

St. Marks 1986-2006 - Jesper Haynes

Silhouettes - Curtis Wallen (signed)

And last but not least, this is my own photo zine I just self published!
It's available for sale (limited to 100 copies) all handmade by myself.
160 Baht + Shipping. Please PM or e-mail me if you're interested in buying a copy!

Mao Mak Mag (translation, very drunk mag)
All images were shot were at least one person (or all people) were not sober. Daily life, street photography, and crazy portraits.

Old 01-16-2014   #1527
leafster

Just received:
Vivian Maier - Out of the Shadows
Steve McCurry - The Iconic Photographs
Sebastiao Salgado - Genesis
Henri Cartier-Bresson - The Man, The Image & The World

On order: Here Far Away - Pentti Sammallahti

Any of you have gotten Peter Turnley - French Kiss?

Old 01-16-2014   #1528
om.ch

Estelle Hanania - Glacial Jubilé / A great book about the Krampus tradition in Austria. The print edition is just amazing.

Guy Bourdin - A message for you / I like that this book is really from the point of view of the model, seeing Guy Bourdin's sketches is also a little bonus. I wouldn't call this a must have though.

Old 01-16-2014   #1529
taemo

FalseDigital where can I buy that Goodbye Bangkok.
would love to own a copy!

just bought Rinko Kawauchi: Ametsuchi
I should have gone to the exhibition in NYC when I had the chance!

Old 01-16-2014   #1530
ChrisLivsey

At last, direct from Steidl, still on order at Amazon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 01-17-2014   #1531
Brian Atherton

The Bitter Years - The Farm Security Administration Photographs Through The Eyes Of Edward Steichen
Edited by Françoise Poos
(Thames & Hudson, 2012

Métier - Small Businesses In London by Laura Braun
(Paper Tiger Books, 2013)

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 01-18-2014   #1532
FalseDigital
krapow moo khai dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
FalseDigital where can I buy that Goodbye Bangkok.
would love to own a copy!

just bought Rinko Kawauchi: Ametsuchi
I should have gone to the exhibition in NYC when I had the chance!
Sadly they are no longer for sale.
I was lucky enough to receive one as a gift.
If you search on the internet you might be able to find one used or dead stock somewhere.

Old 01-21-2014   #1533
jippiejee

While technically not added to the library yet, I just pre-ordered the upcoming new Martin Parr & Gerry Badger book on photobooks: "The Photobook: a History: vol.3".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Photoboo.../dp/0714866776
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Top Secret and PIGS
Old 01-21-2014   #1534
specpro

Top Secret and PIGS

Just posted quick reviews of two gems "Top Secret: Images from the Stasi Archives" and "PIGS" on my blog: Top Secret and PIGS

Old 01-21-2014   #1535
jippiejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by specpro View Post
"Top Secret: Images from the Stasi Archives"
Thanks for the tip! Just ordered my copy...
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 01-22-2014   #1536
michaelwj
----------------

Minutes to Midnight on its way!

I manage a library at a small local photography club in Melbourne for the last 12 months, where Minutes to Midnight will be heading. I has recently added Ansel Adams at 100 (beautiful quality), Lisette Model (the Aperture reprint - wow, huge and confronting!), and Edward Weston 125 Photographs (very nice - quite a surprising little book).

My current dilemma is deciding on an HCB book. Of those who own them, which one would you choose between Modern Century and Scrapbook, or another?

Also in our library (with my mini reviews) are;
Galen Rowell - Retrospective (I prefer Mountain Light)
Alex Webb - Suffering of Light (great book)
Capa et al - The Mexican Suitcase (some have questioned the matte paper, but I think it fits the original newsprint medium of the prints)
Max Dupain - Beaches (an iconic Australian photographer, recommended if you can find it)
Peter Dombrovski - Simply (another iconic Australian photographer, beautiful wilderness images)
Ken Duncan - Wild Frontier (some nice panoramic shots, but not his best work)
Nick Brandt - On this Earth, A Shadow Falls (lots been said already, I agree)
Steve McCurry - The Iconic Photographs (somewhat disappointing - I think it has too much repitition and I grew tired)

I'm glad I found this thread, I think I will be a regular participator!

Thanks
Michael

Old 01-23-2014   #1537
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
My current dilemma is deciding on an HCB book. Of those who own them, which one would you choose between Modern Century and Scrapbook, or another?

Michael
I wouldn't say that Scrapbook is a great choice if it's to be the only book on HCB, just as I wouldn't say that Revelations would be a great choice as the only book on Arbus. Of the other books I have, Henri Cartier Bresson / Photographer (published by Thames & Hudson in the early 1980s) is like a giant catalogue with a hilariously pretentious introduction, but the one I really like is The Early Work published by MoMA, probably because I think that this was his strongest period. Not sure if either of these is readily available.

Lawrence

Old 01-23-2014   #1538
Coopersounds

nothing too exciting,
Advanced digital black and white photography -J Beardsworth
The art of digital photography -J Hedgecoe
both $3 at a charity shop, as new. And bought a film slr at the same time.

Old 01-23-2014   #1539
bojanfurst

I received Salgado's Genesis as a gift recently - the edition for the regular mortals I even wrote a review on my blog, if you care: http://bojanfurst.com/?p=2634
Instagram
twitter
Web

Old 01-23-2014   #1540
MichaelW

Quote:
Edward Weston 125 Photographs (very nice - quite a surprising little book).
By chance I borrowed this from my local library today. Excellent printing and a good selection of photos.

Old 01-23-2014   #1541
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
I wouldn't say that Scrapbook is a great choice if it's to be the only book on HCB, just as I wouldn't say that Revelations would be a great choice as the only book on Arbus. Of the other books I have, Henri Cartier Bresson / Photographer (published by Thames & Hudson in the early 1980s) is like a giant catalogue with a hilariously pretentious introduction, but the one I really like is The Early Work published by MoMA, probably because I think that this was his strongest period. Not sure if either of these is readily available.

Lawrence
Agreed. Josef Koudelka was appalled that Scrapbook was published; he's a man who is very careful about what he photographs and how it is exhibited. I saw the exhibit at the ICP and I have the catalog, and as I recall at the time there was a Martin Munkacsi exhibit also there and that just blew me away. The HCN one was just meh in comparison and I don't say that lightly. I also have The Early Years and highly recommend it.

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-23-2014   #1542
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post

Lawrence
Thanks Lawrence, Photographer is hard to come by for a reasonable price, but The Early Work seems easy to find for under $100 on Amazon (vs >$400 for Photographer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
Agreed. Josef Koudelka was appalled that Scrapbook was published; he's a man who is very careful about what he photographs and how it is exhibited. I saw the exhibit at the ICP and I have the catalog, and as I recall at the time there was a Martin Munkacsi exhibit also there and that just blew me away. The HCN one was just meh in comparison and I don't say that lightly. I also have The Early Years and highly recommend it.
I had heard this too, but sometimes I feel more can be learned by seeing some of the not so good images. The Early Work hadn't even come onto my radar honestly but I will look into it. Any comparisons to Modern Century?

Michael

Old 01-23-2014   #1543
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
By chance I borrowed this from my local library today. Excellent printing and a good selection of photos.
I particularly like the size and format. One photo one the right hand page, all the same format. It makes the work very cohesive to view. I also found it an interesting selection, especially from the later years, where there are some so so images (compared to the earlier work) with some absolute stunners mixed in from the same period.

Michael

Old 01-23-2014   #1544
Steve Bellayr

"Mallorca" by Baltasar Porcel It is a photographic book about Mallorca. The images are far better than the average seen in table top books. Porcel is not the photographer but the all the photographers are known Europeans.

Old 01-25-2014   #1545
jane7l

inferno, james nachtwey
wall, josef koudelka
both awesome

Old 01-26-2014   #1546
stephen.w

Quote:
I can second the recommendations for Photographer.

Modern Century is a super book overall, but some of the reproductions are disappointingly small. I am fortunate to own copies of Photographer, The Decisive Moment (bought both for very reasonable prices) and Modern Century (Christmas gift a few years ago from my wife). Photographer is probably my favourite photography book, period. Mine is the original ICP/Delpire paperback copy. Also have his Inner Silence book of portraits, but I wouldn't get that as my only HCB book.

Old 01-27-2014   #1547
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.w View Post
Also have his Inner Silence book of portraits, but I wouldn't get that as my only HCB book.
I have this personally (not for the club). I really like it, but yes, not as a reference HCB book.
The problem is Photographer costs a pretty penny these days…
Michael

Old 02-03-2014   #1548
RFluhver

I also just received my copy of Parke's "Minutes to Midnight". Bought mine from Amazon.

Old 02-03-2014   #1549
Michael Markey

Robert Frank .... Park/Sleep .

Old 02-05-2014   #1550
lamefrog

MONO Volume One
270 PAGES - HARDBACK
CLOTH COVER
with SILVER HOTSTAMPED TITLES
Premium Art Paper 200gsm
4 Color Offset printing
Sewn Binding
Gomma Books Ltd, London

See here :
http://www.gommabooks.com/estore.php

The publisher is sold out but you can still find this book on Amazon UK

From the publisher:
"MONO is a 270-page hardback book showcasing an exciting collection of contemporary black and white photographers. It showcases renowned artists such as Antoine D'Agata, Trent Parke, Anders Petersen, Roger Ballen alongside a vibrant selection of internationally recognized photographers and promising talents. The works of each artist blend together so elegantly and beautifully to create an enthralling visual journey. An unforgettable display of some of the most striking monochrome imagery. MONO is a celebration of that beautiful and timeless art medium that is black & white photography."

I'd say "recommended with minor reservations". This book provides an inspiring overview of a selection of contemporary photographers working in black and white . Very stimulating to see them all grouped in one place. A lot of unfamiliar names (for me) . My reservations are that (1) there is no critical apparatus (the introduction by a renown critic seems like a command job quickly dispatched) and (2) most of these photographers share a common aesthetic , which I happen to like but seems limited if your topic is "mono" . No street (may be a good thing...) or especially documentary photography , even in cases where these styles are preoccupied with aesthetics as much as reporting. Still - a great buy.

Old 02-05-2014   #1551
Black
Photographer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamefrog View Post
I'd say "recommended with minor reservations". This book provides an inspiring overview of a selection of contemporary photographers working in black and white . Very stimulating to see them all grouped in one place. A lot of unfamiliar names (for me) . My reservations are that (1) there is no critical apparatus (the introduction by a renown critic seems like a command job quickly dispatched) and (2) most of these photographers share a common aesthetic , which I happen to like but seems limited if your topic is "mono" . No street (may be a good thing...) or especially documentary photography , even in cases where these styles are preoccupied with aesthetics as much as reporting. Still - a great buy.
It is a great buy - I'm also lucky enough to have a copy. Very high quality publication. No common theme apart from all images being in B&W, so styles and subject matter is quite diverse. One of my favourite photo books that I own.

Currently enduring Susan Sontag's On Photography. About half way through. My head hurts, slightly. Although I am not struggling too much with the thematic content, I am dubious about Sontag's use of synonyms where more easily digestible language is available. I can understand where people may get the idea of it/her being slightly pretentious could come from...

Old 02-05-2014   #1552
jippiejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Currently enduring Susan Sontag's On Photography. About half way through. My head hurts, slightly.
I read it after so many people recommended it, and I feel your pain. It felt like swimming through a pool of verbal pudding. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to recognize its value. Or alternatively, reading it after the bright analytical prose of Gerry Badger on photography made me recognize it as being highly overrated. Let's assume me being an idiot is the proper explanation though.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 02-09-2014   #1553
film nut

My latest is: Clyde Butcher-Florida Portfolio II. Went to one of his exhibits this week and my wife finally understood why I like black&white so much. Huge prints were displayed and a nice video of how he works. Who would think a swamp could look so good.

Mike

Old 02-09-2014   #1554
Thardy

Minutes to Midnight; Trent Parke.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 02-09-2014   #1555
leafster

Just came in.
Sebastião Salgado: Workers: An Archaeology of the Industrial Age
Vivian Maier: Street Photographer
Vivian Maier: Self-Portraits
Pentti Sammallahti: Here Far Away

Am searching for Jason Eskenazi's Wonderland. Pls kindly share if you can still find a copy somewhere, I would like to get one. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2014   #1556
michaelwj
----------------

Hi leafster,

Which Maier book do you prefer?
Sorry, can't help with wonderland, expect to pay a pretty penny though.

Michael

Old 02-10-2014   #1557
leafster

Quote:
Hi leafster,

Which Maier book do you prefer?
Sorry, can't help with wonderland, expect to pay a pretty penny though.

Michael
Hi Michael,

No worries.

I have all three books on Maier, Out of the Shadows, Self-Portraits, Street Photographer. The latter two just came in, and I haven't really spend some time on them. But I did a quick scan.

Imo, the message from the first book of Maier, Street Photographer, is to introduce to the world a street photographer whom nobody knew who she was. The selection of pictures presented in the book shows what a talented street photographer she was.

Out of the Shadows attempt to understand Maier with extensive research. Very interesting book that explained her background, growth, her primary work, people whom she worked for. Load of pictures from different stages of her life. The last section of the book is rather depressing where there is a significant change in her life, shown through her pictures.

Self-Portraits consists of variety of her own portraits. Most of the pictures never seen before. The last few pictures are in colour.

I personally prefer Out of the Shadows, if is the only book to get. Is one that look into her life as a person. A book that is cleverly put together. Good quality too. The only comment I have on Street Photographer is the quality of the book. Out of the Shadows, and Self-Portraits, is so much better.

I hope I can spend some good time this weekend on Street Photographer, and Self-Portraits, before really commenting on it. But really, all three books don't disappoint.

Old 02-10-2014   #1558
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Same here, but it arrived with some water damage.
Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardy View Post
Minutes to Midnight; Trent Parke.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 02-10-2014   #1559
Godfrey
somewhat colored

"Negative/Positive" by Bill Jay