Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Is California Senate Bill 606 a good law or a bad law?
This is a good law 8 5.30%
This is a bad law 86 56.95%
This law is neither good or bad 10 6.62%
Children must be protected from photographers at all costs 3 1.99%
This law is a travesty - it violates the First Amendment 52 34.44%
Politicians should have carte blanche to say what is a legitimate form of photography 2 1.32%
Why does the gov't. get to photograph us with impunity while outlawing other forms of photography? 37 24.50%
Photographers have no right to photograph children even in public 2 1.32%
This law is okay but news photographers should have a special exemption 1 0.66%
It's high time that politicians put photographers in their place 4 2.65%
Politicians have no legitimate authority to decide what photography "serves no legitimate purpose" 54 35.76%
Politicians can do whatever they want once they are in office 4 2.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2013   #81
E__WOK

I wish there were more answer choices for the poll.

The celebrities need to stop whining. Replace Hallie Berry with Joe Blow off the street and this wouldn't even be on the news.

Old 08-19-2013   #82
MIkhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNG View Post
So, This law was written because of "Movie Stars" getting tired of the Paparazzi being totally annoying... right (RE: Post #1) right?

So way extend this law to the full Public ?

Just keep it for the Paparazzi who do nothing but try to catch candid images of FAMOUS PEOPLE! If they must make a law...

Why penalize everyone else?

BUT, the law is wrong regardless...

If the Photographer is on Public Land, then they have a right to photograph anything the camera can see from that vantage point... BUT, common sense also should be used, and not "Invade" a persons privacy who are on their private property... where is the "Line" ??? Photographer on Public land, Subject on Private land ....... ????

Property owners may legally prohibit
photography on their premises
but have no right to prohibit others
from photographing their property
from other locations.
http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

"...Just keep it for the Paparazzi who do nothing but try to catch candid images of FAMOUS PEOPLE! If they must make a law..."

Can you give a clear definition of subjects of these group? I did not think so...

Old 08-28-2013   #83
squareshooter
-

Let's outlaw celebrities. They add nothing but blather and silicone to the public intercourse. What the tabaloid-reading public has added to our society is a new royalty that is allowed to murder people and rape kids and get by with it. Or am I being too subtle for you folks?

Old 08-28-2013   #84
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

And what written permissions (and by whom) will they require once they discover that the vast majority of bad, long term embarrassing (to the subject) photographs of children are made and distributed by their parents?

Old 08-28-2013   #85
rpsawin
RF Enthusiast

At best this is a well intentioned but poorly written bill...AT BEST. The problem with poorly worded laws is that they lead to poor enforcement. The cops can't ignore an infraction of a law because the law is poorly worded. The bill needs to be clear as to the issue it attempts to address and define clearly what constitute an infraction.

My $.02 fwiw.

Bob
CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Old 08-28-2013   #86
rinzlerb

I think there are laws on the books already that could be more diligently enforced to protect children from photographic harassment, even celebrity children. This law is another case of people getting upset and making more legal clutter. And yes, I'm a very protective parent.

Old 08-28-2013   #87
jerrybro

I voted based on the headline, bad law. Then I read it, I'd like to change my vote. The law says a photographer can't chase down and harass a child because of who their parents are. Doesn't say you can't take pictures at Disneyworld. Doesn't say you cant take pictures at a playground. Doesn't say you can't take pictures at the beach. It does say you can't chase down some some kid with a famous last name at these places. To me, being a photographer and a stalker with a camera are different things.

Old 08-28-2013   #88
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
I voted based on the headline, bad law. Then I read it, I'd like to change my vote. The law says a photographer can't chase down and harass a child because of who their parents are. Doesn't say you can't take pictures at Disneyworld. Doesn't say you cant take pictures at a playground. Doesn't say you can't take pictures at the beach. It does say you can't chase down some some kid with a famous last name at these places. To me, being a photographer and a stalker with a camera are different things.
So what constitutes famous?

Old 08-28-2013   #89
froyd

I think this is fantastic and should be taken a step further, leave the plebe out of this and just ban photography of celebrities and their children. Death of tabloids, death of TMZ and its ilk, and death of the celebrity cult culture.

In a years time we'll see celebrities sue photographers brash enough NOT to photograph them, citing the great emotional and psychological distress of neglect.

Old 09-12-2013   #90
kxl
Social Documentary

From the CA Senate Rules Commitee:

SUPPORT : (Verified 5/20/13)

California National Organization for Women
California Police Chiefs Association
California State Sheriffs Association
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
State Coalition of Probation Organizations

OPPOSITION : (Verified 5/20/13)

Motion Picture Association of America

Now I'm getting a little verklempt. ... Discuss!

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado