First M lens - 35mm Summicron vs 35 Biogon?
Old 10-31-2012   #1
bmsermd

First M lens - 35mm Summicron vs 35 Biogon?

Still in the hunt for the elusive body, trying to hold out for an M4 but seems like a good old Wetzlar M6 might come first.

Looking for advice for a first 35mm lens.

On a brief in store demo really loved a Zeiss Biogon 35/2. Actually preferred it in some ways to the Summicron 35/2, but am concered by a few things I have read regarding construction and break down.

Any opinions and advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brant

Old 10-31-2012   #2
user237428934
User deletion pending

There is a very long thread Cron vs. Biogon with a poll.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=47704

I have the Biogon and I like it. But I don't know the Summicron as comparison.

Old 10-31-2012   #3
bmsermd

Thanks for the link, Im having trouble with searches.
Tons to read about in this debate and man that is one close poll (like a Quebec referendum!)

Old 10-31-2012   #4
mfogiel

Depends on which Summicron, and what do you want to shoot with your camera. If this is going to be your only lens, you could consider Nokton 35/1.2 as well - the cost should be between the other two.

Old 10-31-2012   #5
venchka

Just to further cloud the issue and muddy the waters.
Zeiss ZM 35/2.8 C-Biogon.

Wayne
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 10-31-2012   #6
Photon42
burn the box

You will receive tons of opinions - and clearly lots of different proposals for similar lenses. The Biogon was my first rangefinder lens and I still own it. Make sure you're ok with the size. Build quality is good enough from my perspective - but the Summicron wins here. Optical performance is wonderful - no observable focus shift. Zeiss coating is generally very good. I don't even own a lens shade. Maybe I should, however.

Old 10-31-2012   #7
venchka

As someone asked, which Summicron? There are 5 you know. Better narrow the range of Summicrons first. Then throw in other brands.

Wayne
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 10-31-2012   #8
Marc G.
film loving student

Quote:
Originally Posted by venchka View Post
Just to further cloud the issue and muddy the waters.
Zeiss ZM 35/2.8 C-Biogon.

Wayne
then I'll throw the lovely 35 summarit in the ring. costs about the same as the nokton and biogon and is a great lens with little weight and great performance...

btw I think any 35 of the named ones will do...

C-Biogon, Biogon, Nokton, Summarit, Summicron... names all worthy of the focal length

Old 10-31-2012   #9
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Brant: how about an opinion that it will make very little difference, if any at all, in the photos you make with whatever body or lens you buy.

If there is some emotional pride of ownership issue with your gear, buy whatever makes you feel good.

But if you are concerned with your photos then just buy anything, start using it and and learn how to use / love it. Remember that some of the world's iconic photos were made with equipment that many here would not find acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsermd View Post
Still in the hunt for the elusive body, trying to hold out for an M4 but seems like a good old Wetzlar M6 might come first.

Looking for advice for a first 35mm lens.

On a brief in store demo really loved a Zeiss Biogon 35/2. Actually preferred it in some ways to the Summicron 35/2, but am concered by a few things I have read regarding construction and break down.

Any opinions and advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brant

Old 10-31-2012   #10
Richard G

I think I read here some time that there are no bad 35s. I am currently using the 35 C Biogon 2.8. I don't mind the size because it's on an M9 which is not small. If I am out in the evening I use a Summicron version 4 which is tiny. I don't use the hood indoors at night, and mostly that is OK and it results in a tiny package. On a film M like the M6 the combo fits in the hand, under a jacket: very unobtrusive. If size matters, that Summarit 35 is also tiny. I don't think I would want a 35 any bigger than the C Biogon. I have quite a few Zeiss lenses, no wobble or any other issue related to build quality. I even dropped my C Sonnar, more than once, and it remains perfect. Choose on price and size.

Old 11-01-2012   #11
bmsermd

Bob, I appreciate the wise words.

True, it will not likely make a big difference. I am a believer however in feel and process, as I believe they impact the images we make. This is largely why I have abandoned digital (for now).

So, no, not motivated by pride in ownership.

I will heed your advice as a nearly new Biogon came up locally just yesterday. A sign?

Thanks again,

Brant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
Brant: how about an opinion that it will make very little difference, if any at all, in the photos you make with whatever body or lens you buy.

If there is some emotional pride of ownership issue with your gear, buy whatever makes you feel good.

But if you are concerned with your photos then just buy anything, start using it and and learn how to use / love it. Remember that some of the world's iconic photos were made with equipment that many here would not find acceptable.

Old 11-01-2012   #12
Dirk
Privatier

To add to the confusion: If you mostly do color, any of the above are great. If you'll do mostly B&W, the Summaron 35mm 2.8 is unsurpassed.