Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Other RF

Other RF Forum for the many Rangefinder cameras that do not have a dedicated RFF forum.

Kings of the digital ghetto
Old 09-29-2012   #1
nongfuspring

Kings of the digital ghetto

With everyone talking about the speedy obsolesce of digital cameras, does anyone have any outdated digital gear they still use regularly for the special features, unique images or just for kicks?

Old 09-29-2012   #2
sojournerphoto

I still use my M9. Obviously it's rubbish now, but since I only make picture for myself and my family I hope that no one notices.

Old 09-29-2012   #3
Thardy

I have an old Canon A570 IS that I use sometimes. It has a built in viewfinder that is great to use in really bright light.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 09-29-2012   #4
jippiejee

My Leica Digilux2 might fit that definition. It's such fun shooting with it.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 09-29-2012   #5
RichW

I have a Canon 5D but that was only bought recently. Sometimes I look through old pictures I took and am surprised at how nice quality images taken with an old Canon A620 (7mp 2006) and A720 (8mp 2008) P&S's are and sometimes wonder whether I should pick another of them up used for cheap

Cheers,
Richard

Leica M3
Nikon F
Zeiss Super Ikonta B
Rolleiflex 2.8D
Hasselblad 500C/M

Old 09-29-2012   #6
bgetty
Brandon Getty

my trusty canon powershot SD630. got it as a gift in 2005 or 2006 and i still use it when i need the promptness of digital without taking out the D300. it has been smashed, lens first, into the ground at least twice while filming skateboarding. still works like a charm and will probably continue to do so for a long while.

Old 09-29-2012   #7
dotur
od karnevala

Panasonic DMC-LC1.

Old 09-29-2012   #8
traveler_101
American abroad

Olympus E-P1, obsolete thanks to the new Sony-manufactured sensor on all new Olympus m43 cameras. I just like the E-P1--

Old 09-29-2012   #9
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

I still enjoy using my Ricoh GRD II.

Old 09-29-2012   #10
Roger Hicks

What does the question mean? As long as it works and takes the pictures you want, it ain't 'outdated'.

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-29-2012   #11
TXForester

Canon A710 hacked with CHDK for RAW and other features. I carry it in my cruiser's vest, because it is small and handy for recording information for work such as trash dumping on a client's property, or adjacent land owners building a property line fence in the wrong place. I carry a Canon G6 for it's relatively small size and articulated screen. I like it for low angle shots. Olympus E510 and Canon 10D because they are still good cameras.

“Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage.” ― H.L. Mencken

Old 09-29-2012   #12
TXForester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
What does the question mean? As long as it works and takes the pictures you want, it ain't 'outdated'.

Cheers,

R.
To you and I that may be true, but a lot of brainwashed people think "If it ain't cutting edge, then it is no good." Got to keep up with the Joneses.

“Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage.” ― H.L. Mencken

Old 09-29-2012   #13
farlymac
PF McFarland

I still use my Panasonic DMC-TZ3. I dropped it onto the asphalt two weeks after buying it back in '06, and it still works fine. I got it for the zoom range (28-280mm 135 equivilent), which at the time was something rare on a P&S. Purple flares; bad low light response; mirror finish on the viewing screen makes it almost impossible to use out in bright sunlight (so I wind up shooting while looking over the top of the camera), and this is with a hood on it; too small. These are some of the reasons I would like to replace it. But it's still decent enough to use on the workbench for documenting camera repairs, and the quick grab shot when it would take too long to load a film camera. Or when I've run out of the budget at the end of the month, and can't afford to burn any film.

PF

Old 09-29-2012   #14
Tom hicks

Canon D30 very smooth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0330.jpg (108.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (85.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1526.jpg (68.5 KB, 18 views)

Old 09-29-2012   #15
kxl
Social Documentary

My Nikon Coolscan 5000 is "outdated" but I still use it quite a bit.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 09-29-2012   #16
t.s.k.
Hooked on philm

Sony DSC-F717 - the second iteration preceding the NEX template.
I bought it in '02 or '03 and I still use it sparingly.
Two unique features are a battery that will last months (yes, months) between charges and night vision (still and video).
Otherwise it's slow as molasses with poor resolution.

You can observe a lot by just watching.
-- Yogi Berra

Old 09-29-2012   #17
Vitor

Sony DSC-F707 my first digital camera bought in 2002.
I still used it, mostly for IR

More at http://www.vitorfonseca.com/Portfoli...20I/index.html

Old 10-04-2012   #18
Mattco26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgetty View Post
my trusty canon powershot SD630. got it as a gift in 2005 or 2006 and i still use it when i need the promptness of digital without taking out the D300. it has been smashed, lens first, into the ground at least twice while filming skateboarding. still works like a charm and will probably continue to do so for a long while.
I still have one of these as well. It was my first digital camera and I took it everywhere. The back screen is smashed on one side and the body is covered in scratches but it still takes nice pictures in good light and the flash system is actually pretty reliable at close distances.

It's now relegated to boat duty when we go fishing. Takes great trout photos!

Old 10-04-2012   #19
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

My son uses the Nikon D70 I bought new a decade ago to photograph things he builds with Lego bricks. To me, the camera was outdated the day I bought it, because the image quality of a 6mp sensor wasn't even close to what I needed, so it was just an expensive toy. The Kodak 14n was the first digital I owned that I used for my fine art work, it gave incredible images. Now I have a Canon 5DmkII and it is magnificent too.

Old 10-04-2012   #20
porktaco

my obviously outmoded rd-1. 6MP? REALLY? OMGZ!

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 10-04-2012   #21
ColSebastianMoran

Nikon D70. Still works, images still surprise me.

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 10-04-2012   #22
nikonosguy

i shoot weddings with a d60/digilux 2 combo

Old 10-04-2012   #23
sykotec

I spend way too much time with way too much tech at my day-job. While old certainly doesn't have to mean anything less than full original function, I'd agree there is such a thing as outdated. In the case of a digital camera I suppose that can relate to a few things:

- file formats no longer commonly supported/out of style
- memory card format no longer common or batteries not readily available
- requires no-longer-common tech to use - odd interfaces, cables, etc
- for internal memory, only talks to very old operating systems/programs

That said, I'm a fan of much outdated tech - one of my motorcycles, my wife's 42 year old car, a very simple 1946 home, vacuum tube equipment, etc. Looking for my next hotrod project at the moment, thinking pre-WWII, with any eye towards daily driveable.

I guess the pattern goes something like new > used > old > outdated > expired, with some things never getting all the way down the line.

Quote:

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-04-2012   #24
sykotec

oddly enough, my ancient Sony DSC-U20 has a really neat look for available light shots. tough and tiny, decent protection for the lens, runs on a pair of AAA batteries, and unfortunately, stores images on Sony Memory Sticks, 128mb max. comes out every few months just to surprise me I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongfuspring View Post
With everyone talking about the speedy obsolesce of digital cameras, does anyone have any outdated digital gear they still use regularly for the special features, unique images or just for kicks?

Old 10-04-2012   #25
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotec View Post
I spend way too much time with way too much tech at my day-job. While old certainly doesn't have to mean anything less than full original function, I'd agree there is such a thing as outdated. In the case of a digital camera I suppose that can relate to a few things:

- file formats no longer commonly supported/out of style
- memory card format no longer common or batteries not readily available
- requires no-longer-common tech to use - odd interfaces, cables, etc
- for internal memory, only talks to very old operating systems/programs

That said, I'm a fan of much outdated tech - one of my motorcycles, my wife's 42 year old car, a very simple 1946 home, vacuum tube equipment, etc. Looking for my next hotrod project at the moment, thinking pre-WWII, with any eye towards daily driveable.

I guess the pattern goes something like new > used > old > outdated > expired, with some things never getting all the way down the line.
All very true, and, I'd suggest, implicit in 'As long as it works'. Though even the odd cables are OK as long as you've got 'em and they work.

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-05-2012   #26
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
Quite right. All my digital cameras are, by prevailing standards, "out of date". My most up-to-date camera is my Canon 50D, bought in 2008. My most-used digital camera is an original Canon 5DmkI.

Every time I think of buying an "upgraded" model, I note that the largest size I can print to is A3+ (19"x13"), and ponder on just how much I would really see of any gains from a newer camera when printed at that size. For the last few years I've concluded "not enough".

Sure there's more than just the image chain to consider: there's ergonomics, there are other functional aspects like AF speed and sophistication and on and on. (The impressive advances in high-ISO imaging are also there and actually in the imaging chain. Not that I'd make much use of that.)

What I have right now suits me for the kinds of photos I take. If that changed (eg. if I decided I had to shoot football matches in available darkness, played on unlit grounds on moonless nights) then I might find my existing cameras inadequate or inconvenient for the task. When that happens, I'll assess my options. Until that happens I think I'll leave things as they are. When I do eventually see the need to upgrade, it will be to better equipment (and probably cheaper) than anything available right now. That's in the nature of technology, especially one in it's not-yet-mature stages.

In my kitchen, I have an A3-size print of this photo:

The print looks pretty good, and people often say exactly that. Despite it having been taken with an oh-so-obsolete 6MP Canon 300D (which I still have and even occasionally use, though mostly I've lent it out to friends since it's semi-retirement).

Every time I think about buying a new DSLR, I look at that photo and wonder just how much improvement a newer camera will give me over that (let alone the considerably better cameras I've acquired since then), and how much I'm prepared to pay for that improvement, given all the other things I could do with the money.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 10-05-2012   #27
jsrockit

My M8 is the closest thing I have...

Old 10-16-2012   #28
Clay

Canon Powershot S1 IS and S3 IS.

Best regards,

/Clay

Old 10-19-2012   #29
wblynch

Olympus C2100-uz.

2mp, f/2.8, 38mm-380mm (equivalent) zoom with stabilization.

Bought it in 2001 on clearance before CompUSA went under.

Works great and is still in mint condition.

I take about 6 digital photos per year these days.

-Bill

Old 10-19-2012   #30
peterm1

I still have my Nikon D70s and Panasonic L1. Both are in the 6-7 meg pixel range. I can't really bring myself to sell either as I love their image quality - especially the Panny. Besides I would get next to nothing for them so why not keep them? Neither have the dynamic range of the latest offerings which blow them away in this respect but with the right image both cameras can kick *ss and are well worth using. My main DSLR right now is the D700 which is superb but the others a still taken out for a ride more or less regularly.

Old 10-20-2012   #31
dc5
dc5

Fujifilm E900... my car camera- eazy to use one handed while driving... makes my wife crazy!

Old 10-20-2012   #32
Faintandfuzzy

Canon D30 and 10D here.

Old 10-20-2012   #33
sykotec

agreed. something can certainly be outdated as I see it, but still work fine for the intended (or often other) purpose - I love stuff like that.

alas, it DOES get pretty darned inconvenient at times. I'm far less than thrilled as film photography hits the early stages of this. fewer people deal with it properly at airports, film/paper/chemistry not so readily available locally, etc.

won't change what I use one bit, but planning gets alot more important.

honestly, media ends up being one of the first problems with 'outdated' digital bits, the same as film may be to some extent in the future.

Quote:
All very true, and, I'd suggest, implicit in 'As long as it works'. Though even the odd cables are OK as long as you've got 'em and they work.

Cheers,

R.