Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X Series

Old 01-06-2012   #161
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
[...]
BTW, the Mirrorless Rumors blog appears to be a simple rehash of the French article, and it reproduces the faulty text passage with an interpretation:
I don't believe this until I see a better, more credible source.
The French reads that they conclude this from the small openings on the camera body, I think. That is why I said in the beginning I'm not to sure they're right. But you never know. It would be of course bad news for those who intend to adapt their 1200mm mirror tele lenses

Cheers
Ivo

Old 01-06-2012   #162
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
Hopefully the AF is better than the X100 AF. The AF gives me the biggest disappointment with this camera. Whenever there is some depth in the scene with foreground and background items there is a fair chance that the AF choses the background objects although I want the foreground object. I often use the ground next to the object for focussing and then compose.
The problem you're experiencing is simple parralax error for the focusing point.

Turn on 'AF parralax correction frame' in the menu. When a subject is close, use the bottom right focusing box, when subject is mid-long distance, use the top left focusing box.
If you follow these basic steps, you'll probably never have a misfocussed frame ever again...

Old 01-06-2012   #163
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
The problem you're experiencing is simple parralax error for the focusing point.

Turn on 'AF parralax correction frame' in the menu. When a subject is close, use the bottom right focusing box, when subject is mid-long distance, use the top left focusing box.
If you follow these basic steps, you'll probably never have a misfocussed frame ever again...
Never heard of that but I will give it a try.

Old 01-06-2012   #164
noimmunity
scratch my niche

2011: successfully sold my Leica lenses and trimmed my M kit while adding strength in the ultra-wide department (APS sensor-ready!)

2012: ready for the long awaited new offering from Fuji!

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-06-2012   #165
Leigh Youdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by diagularax View Post
I can't believe that Fuji have managed to wind this place up to fever pitch twice in the space of twelve months with their offerings!
That has to be some sort of record surely?
I didn't think it was Fuji caused all that fuss at all. I thought it was the RFF'ers did it all by themselves. Twice in the space of 12 months, too!

Fuji X10
Leica M6
Bessa R4A
Rolleiflex (3): E3 Planar 2.8, WA & Tele
Nikkormat FTn (2)

Old 01-06-2012   #166
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogier View Post
Its about the balance between body and lens. Many of these camera's look and feel like a Lend with a Body attached to it...
Right, like the Sony NEX. This Fuji looks proportional to me.

Old 01-06-2012   #167
jsrockit

Quote:

Yep, it is funny how many people continue to diss the AF when Fuji fixed this long ago.

Old 01-06-2012   #168
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
I didn't think it was Fuji caused all that fuss at all. I thought it was the RFF'ers did it all by themselves. Twice in the space of 12 months, too!
The fact is that Fuji made two rangefinder like cameras that really appeal to RFF users. So yes, Fuji made all the fuss by making large steps in the right direction camera design wise.

Old 01-06-2012   #169
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:

Just switched this thing on in the camera. Don't know if it really improves AF success rate but this is a fine focus distance indicator like in the Hexar AF. You will instantly see if the AF is chasing for the wrong subject. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2012   #170
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
Just switched this thing on in the camera. Don't know if it really improves AF success rate but this is a fine focus distance indicator like in the Hexar AF. You will instantly see if the AF is chasing for the wrong subject. Thanks.
Hope it solves your focussing issues!

I hope this is a winner
Old 01-06-2012   #171
intheviewfinder
Street

I hope this is a winner

I owned a X100 for about 7 months. Image-wise it was a superb camera but it had a lot of quirks that made it less than satisfying so I sold it. I posted about it previously in another thread. There's even a link to a small portfolio of shots (58 photos).

When I read this announcement I realized despite all the quirks of the X100 I miss it. So I'm hoping they've done enough to correct the niggles for me to spring for the whole ball of wax when it gets released.

--Rich

Old 01-06-2012   #172
viramati

this could be very interesting as on the M9 I use basically 3 lenses the 28, 50 and 90. I have the 28 on one body and the 50 on another and use the X100 for quiet street work. If times keep getting harder and this camera live up to expectations I would even consider selling one M body and get this whole system ans still have a few pounds left over!!

Old 01-06-2012   #173
Benjamin Marks

Interesting that the other imaging giants have left "retro" to Fuji.

Old 01-06-2012   #174
migtex
Don't eXchange Freedom!

enough said...
Camera FUN? <click>

Old 01-06-2012   #175
Leigh Youdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
The fact is that Fuji made two rangefinder like cameras that really appeal to RFF users. So yes, Fuji made all the fuss by making large steps in the right direction camera design wise.
Well, SOMEBODY has to be singled out for the blame. Can't be us then!

Fuji X10
Leica M6
Bessa R4A
Rolleiflex (3): E3 Planar 2.8, WA & Tele
Nikkormat FTn (2)

Old 01-06-2012   #176
viramati

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...his-to-win-it/

Old 01-06-2012   #177
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by conurus View Post
None of the Contax N lenses are focus-by-wire. There is direct mechanical linkage from the focusing ring to the focusing group lens elements and no power is required to do manual focusing.

Maybe we could use a little clarification first on what is meant by "by-wire". It means an electronic circuitry reads from a user-interface control (here, a focusing ring), performs some calculations and/or does some checking/limiting, and then sends electrical signals to drive motors and/or other actuators to control something (here, the focusing group lens elements). In a "by-wire" system there is no guaranteed direct linear relationship between output and input. A computer may decide your input is out of range and skip the output instead of obeying your command. A characteristic of every "by-wire" system is it requires an external power source to work. (Although the reverse is not true, e.g. power assisted steering and braking of a car are still not steering/braking-by-wire systems.)

A by-wire system may have some lag because it takes time to read the sensor, do calculations and sends the output. (Although microprocessors are so fast these days that the calculation part is negligible.) It is also limited by sensor resolution as well as the output resolution of the control motor. (Although even in a purely mechanical system, resolution is still limited by backlash of gearing.) A good implementation of focus-by-wire can exceed a poor implementation of mechanical focusing. (e.g. the focus-by-wire Canon EF 85/1.2L would be smoother than most AF lenses in MF mode.)
Thanks for the correction & for clearing that up!

Old 01-07-2012   #178
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by migtex View Post

enough said...
Nice... ...

Old 01-07-2012   #179
Turtle

I'm really hoping this is a M9 beater because by paring down to a reduced film only M outfit, it should be possible to finance it by selling some film M gear.

I wonder how many M users might do the same thing? if this camera is a riotous success (and I am not saying it necessarily will be) then it could really change the marketplace for M equipment.

Old 01-07-2012   #180
monochromejrnl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I'm really hoping this is a M9 beater because by paring down to a reduced film only M outfit, it should be possible to finance it by selling some film M gear.

I wonder how many M users might do the same thing? if this camera is a riotous success (and I am not saying it necessarily will be) then it could really change the marketplace for M equipment.
The price of M mount lenses will probably continue to rise and film bodies may fall.

I should have taken TomA's advice and NEVER sold any M mount or even LTM glass.
here is the dilemma and the strength of photography... it is the easiest medium in which to be competent, but it is the hardest medium in which to have a personal vision that is readily identifiable... Chuck Close

we search for truth, sometimes we find beauty - Lisette Model

Old 01-07-2012   #181
tapesonthefloor

I hope these lenses have proper mechanical linkages. They look like they do. I hate fly-by-wire. Don't tell anyone I said that, though.

Old 01-07-2012   #182
allanmcleodroney

Some new details from www.photorumors.com (some more details there);

Viewfinder;
Similar hybrid viewfinder like in the x100. The X-Pro 1 will have two optical degrees of magnification: x0.37 for wider lenses and x0.60 for the other lenses. This function will be controlled by the menu and can be set manually for third party lenses.

Lenses;
XF 18mmF2 R
XF 35mmF1.4 R
XF 60mmF2.4 R Macro
Later this year Fuji will introduce more lenses, including a telephoto and probably a 23mm f/ 2.0.
Fuji will also launch their own M bayonet adapter for Leica lenses

Old 01-07-2012   #183
migtex
Don't eXchange Freedom!

With a Flange distance of 17,7 mm I hope some adapters may be build like the Nikon S mount.
Camera FUN? <click>

Old 01-07-2012   #184
DougFord
on the good foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmcleodroney View Post
Some new details from www.photorumors.com (some more details there);

Viewfinder;
Similar hybrid viewfinder like in the x100. The X-Pro 1 will have two optical degrees of magnification: x0.37 for wider lenses and x0.60 for the other lenses. This function will be controlled by the menu and can be set manually for third party lenses.

Lenses;
XF 18mmF2 R
XF 35mmF1.4 R
XF 60mmF2.4 R Macro
Later this year Fuji will introduce more lenses, including a telephoto and probably a 23mm f/ 2.0.
It would be great if the purpose built Fuji adapter would be able to read the leica lens coding, change the OVF magnification and then project the correct frame-lines. Will the xpro-1 firmware be able to project frame-lines other than the 28/50/90 set?
Or is the adapter a dumb device, where all setting must be done manually via the menu?

the walk

Old 01-07-2012   #185
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFord View Post
It would be great if the purpose built Fuji adapter would be able to read the leica lens coding, change the OVF magnification and then project the correct frame-lines.
Unlikely, that's covered by patents.

However, it would be cool if the adapter had a rangefinder roller and you'd get parallax-corrected framelines for whatever focal length you dial in, and distance information in the EXIF data.

Old 01-07-2012   #186
DougFord
on the good foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
Unlikely, that's covered by patents.

However, it would be cool if the adapter had a rangefinder roller and you'd get parallax-corrected framelines for whatever focal length you dial in, and distance information in the EXIF data.
Ahh..come on, anybody can read dots. In fact, we'll add a few so the user can put in the lens manufacturer. We'll call it the new expanded coding system for legacy lenses. This open standard will be used by adapter designers for the digital/legacy interface that cameras like the NEX and XPro-1 (no doubt others) will use.

the walk

Old 01-07-2012   #187
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmcleodroney View Post
if true, this is great news! Hopefully it means that Fuji will incorporate M-adapter-friendly features into the design.

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-07-2012   #188
Turtle

Look out Leica....

Old 01-07-2012   #189
Gray Fox

Now if it could somehow in dreamland handle my Contax G lenses I'd be standing in the door of the first place selling them. Unfortunately, this doesn't even fall under the dream category.

Old 01-07-2012   #190
back alley
IMAGES

if this new kit is as good as the x100 is...image quailty wise...i just might sell everything and buy it.

and then live happily ever after!

Old 01-07-2012   #191
J. Borger

I still remember the bashings about the M8 having a 1.3 crop factor 6 years ago. Makes me realy smile to see all the excitement about a new RF type camera with the sensorformat of the 8 years old R-D1

Old 01-07-2012   #192
ndnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Borger View Post
I still remember the bashings about the M8 having a 1.3 crop factor 6 years ago. Makes me realy smile to see all the excitement about a new RF type camera with the sensorformat of te 8 years old R-D1
Well, Fuji is offering the right set of lenses for their sensor format ... That was not the case when the M8 came out. Especially since people already owned M-mount lenses with an angle-of-view matched to their preferences in the 135 format. Also, sensors got a lot better since then, so that the difference between smaller sensors and larger ones is not as noticable as it was 5 years ago.

I do not have a digital camera right now, but this Fuji looks really interesting ... It is the first digital system that looks like it matches my preference for camera format and shooting style while being affordable by me.

-N.

Old 01-07-2012   #193
j j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
Now if it could somehow in dreamland handle my Contax G lenses I'd be standing in the door of the first place selling them. Unfortunately, this doesn't even fall under the dream category.
Metabones sells a Contax G to Sony NEX so why not Fuji in due course?

Old 01-07-2012   #194
monochromejrnl

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as of now, all of the excitement thus far has been built up on a foundation of speculation and rumours about this "X1 Pro". Still no official announcement from Fuji, correct?
here is the dilemma and the strength of photography... it is the easiest medium in which to be competent, but it is the hardest medium in which to have a personal vision that is readily identifiable... Chuck Close

we search for truth, sometimes we find beauty - Lisette Model

Old 01-07-2012   #195
bwcolor

Partially correct. Amazon U.S.A. has been selling the three lenses since yesterday, but list the introduction date as 2/9/12.

Old 01-07-2012   #196
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
Partially correct. Amazon U.S.A. has been selling the three lenses since yesterday, but list the introduction date as 2/9/12.
What search terms did you use? My search turned up nothing on amazon.com?

Old 01-07-2012   #197
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
But no body? Weird...

Old 01-07-2012   #198
nighstar
eternal beginner

supposedly the first REAL images of the camera and its lenses....

.....looking pretty sexy.

Old 01-07-2012   #199
whtchocla7e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighstar View Post
supposedly the first REAL images of the camera and its lenses....

.....looking pretty sexy.
Welcome to two days ago.

Old 01-07-2012   #200
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Borger View Post
I still remember the bashings about the M8 having a 1.3 crop factor 6 years ago. Makes me realy smile to see all the excitement about a new RF type camera with the sensorformat of the 8 years old R-D1
Where is the problem? When you get native lenses that are optimized for the crop factor then you don't have a problem. For some the "problem" starts when they put existing M-lenses on the camera and then thinking about the field of view starts every time.